Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

They learnt absolutely nothing from the last time around.

EXACT same issue with no download links after paying. Here's to waiting another 2 loving days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
People on the forums (I don't know why I bothered) are saying you can still download it if you log on to your account.

Also, apparently, there's a new "Ops Center" for getting updates and liveries for PMDG products so you don't have to run them as executables and fill up your add/remove programs with liveries (this was the "big surprise" I'm guessing).

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The people on the forums are loving idiots who don't read. The people with the issue have no download links anywhere, including the previous orders and order summary page. What shits me off though is that they're keeping loving hush hush as per usual, not even acknowledging that they've hosed up yet again. They even stated this wouldn't happen again, but lo and behold.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah.

I wish they made shittier planes so they couldn't get away with this.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

gently caress my being broke.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Kilonum posted:

gently caress my being broke.

So you can have the same problems as everyone else?

E: Tabs did post and said they're going through tickets, so I guess if you have the no-download issue, submit a ticket.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 4, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I had the store crash for 40 min then was able to download and got my key immediately.

If it will help I will send you the installer. Ping me on irc if its an issue with the download not working

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

For all the time, money etc these developers go through producing super high quality planes for an antiquated POS simulator.

You would think they'd have built a new flight sim by now

The market is obviously there, with the amount of sperglords dropping $90

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It depends if making a flight sim is a horrendous amount of work and money. It just may be that the return you get for the work isn't worth it.

Well, I'm 90% sure that's the case.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

LordPants posted:

It depends if making a flight sim is a horrendous amount of work and money. It just may be that the return you get for the work isn't worth it.

Well, I'm 90% sure that's the case.

Well how many years have gone into the PMDG line of products?

I bet if they opened a kickstarter for developing a new flight sim, they'd easily surpass a few million (given how quickly nerds will part with money)

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see that happen with a well established company. I really wish there was a good replacement for FSX. X-plane is good, but it's just not the same to me at least.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mike-o posted:

I'd love to see that happen with a well established company. I really wish there was a good replacement for FSX. X-plane is good, but it's just not the same to me at least.

The payware add-ons are there. While I have the XP10 777, it's not on the level of a PMDG product. It's good; not great.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
That's really the only reason I prefer FSX over X-Plane, because of third party support. Maybe more companies will switch over to X-Plane but I really doubt it :sigh:.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mike-o posted:

That's really the only reason I prefer FSX over X-Plane, because of third party support. Maybe more companies will switch over to X-Plane but I really doubt it :sigh:.

Same. It's gonna take PMDG to bring over everyone.

edit: haha I am so weak. Bought the 777.

edit 2: oh my god i love boeing jets

bloops fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 4, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can someone post their recommended settings for trackir for fsx?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I ended up buying it last night, too. I didn't do much (and it crashed my sim but I hadn't restated in a while), but so far it's as awesome as expected.

And I like the Ops Center.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Colonial Air Force posted:

I ended up buying it last night, too. I didn't do much (and it crashed my sim but I hadn't restated in a while), but so far it's as awesome as expected.

And I like the Ops Center.

Captains,

Ops Center is pretty baller. Last night I promised myself that that would be the last time I ever devoted a good chunk of my life installing and doing all the optimization for FSX. Hahah I loving lied! A REX Essentials install killed FSX so it forced my hand to re-do everything. It works now.

I shall attempt a bunch of stupid airplane tricks with the 777 tonight because I am a man child.

edit: why do all these avsim guys type in this odd syntax broke English? Like not even the foreign guys either. Secondly, I love thread titles like "THE BIG SURPRISE" or "WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT CAPTAINS SO EXCITE!!!"

bloops fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 4, 2013

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Are there any good freeware commercial jets for FSX that are fully simulated, including flight computer?

I tried an Airbus A318 from PA but there doesn't seem to be a virtual cockpit.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Bedshaped posted:

Are there any good freeware commercial jets for FSX that are fully simulated, including flight computer?

I tried an Airbus A318 from PA but there doesn't seem to be a virtual cockpit.

I am not aware of any. With that being said, the Aerosoft Airbus X could be what you want albeit it costs 40-50 bucks. A good payware jet is a really good investment IMO.

I've spent some time with the PMDG 777. Looks incredible model-wise, the VC is obviously top notch, it flies really nicely, and if any of you have experience dorking around with the PMDG 737 NGx then this jet is pretty much 1:1 minus a few quirks. You'll be taking off and landing in no time.

It being 90 bucks is a different story. The value in it is, well, it's the best 777 payware that'll ever be done, one of the best on FSX (I am really enamored with the 737 NGX myself), and runs exceedingly well (better than the NGX it seems).

I guess it comes down to if flying long haul stuff is your bag or if you do or don't have the NGX already. I'm a loving nerd for Boeing stuff so this was a pretty much must buy for me and all I do is beat up the pattern with the occasional flight.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

You can use their time acceleration stuff! Or fly shorter routes, plenty of those in a 777 in real life.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ya I might dabble in that this weekend actually.

Any really great US airport add-ons? I fly in Alaska mostly but am bored of that now.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I like what FSDreamTeam does: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/

I have their O'Hare scenery.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
http://www.flytampa.org/ does some good stuff as well.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What's a good place to go for routes that are compatible with PMDG products? In return, here is a picture of a dog.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

holocaust bloopers posted:

What's a good place to go for routes that are compatible with PMDG products? In return, here is a picture of a dog.

What do you mean, compatible with? Just plan your route, plug that poo poo into the FMC, and light up those big fat GE90s

On a completely unrelated note, anyone have a spare $90?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kilonum posted:

What do you mean, compatible with? Just plan your route, plug that poo poo into the FMC, and light up those big fat GE90s

On a completely unrelated note, anyone have a spare $90?

Too lazy. I want a website to do the work for me. Found one--simroutes.com is pretty much all I want. What helps is like knowing runway length so when doing a flight from KORD->PHNL that there's runway available.

Dude, the jet is *amazing*. BRB gonna film a takeoff.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

How about this?

http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/B772

find a flight with the route recorded, plug it into the generate route in http://simroutes.com

apparently it creates a route for you? You just have to add SID and STAR.

Not that I've done it, but it works on youtube...

not how Frooglepete does it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMrW4O4WXYY

RockNRoll Jesus
Jan 3, 2008

FIND YOUR GOD FUCKING FLASH DRIVE

Just so everyone knows, this thing is out and I loving love it. I'm a real big Air Hauler nerd so this product is perfect if you like dropping off cigarettes and DVD players around the Caribbean.

Can't justify spending 90bux on the 777 after grabbing the Cessna, but maybe next week.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well I should've crashed about a dozen times just now.

edit: this panda livery cracks me up

it's very acrobatic ask me how I know.

bloops fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 5, 2013

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Get in IRC you newbie.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Some DCS news.

quote:

DCS Activation Keys Merged to Steam and DCS: UH-1H Huey Beta Coming Soon

To better support our Steam customers, we have merged all DCS activation keys (with the exception of the Black Shark 2 Upgrade) to the Steam database. This will allow DCS users to use DCS activation keys purchased outside of Steam to activate their DLC modules within Steam.
Dammit, I have the BS2 upgrade :argh:

quote:

New Su-25T Cockpit and Interactive Training Missions

Built to the same standards of the new A-10A, F-15C, Su-27 and Su-25 cockpits, DCS World will include an updated Su-25T cockpit later this year. This will be a highly detailed and authentic cockpit that supports 6 degrees of freedom head movement.
Also later this year, 15 interactive training missions will be released for the Su-25T.
Both the new cockpit and the training missions will be free.

and for the chopper nerds out there DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight Now Available for Pre-purchase
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/magnificent_eight/

All them switches :allears:

Also a patch.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, BS2 upgrade customers are still hosed.

Grats, ED.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well I should've crashed about a dozen times just now.

edit: this panda livery cracks me up

it's very acrobatic ask me how I know.

I believe boeing was quite clear on the "No rolls" policy for test flights of the 777. :colbert:

(didn't say anything about loops though...)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Megadyptes posted:

Some DCS news.

Dammit, I have the BS2 upgrade :argh:

and for the chopper nerds out there DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight Now Available for Pre-purchase
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/magnificent_eight/

All them switches :allears:

Also a patch.

Looks like a fine helo, however they should seriously implement multi-crew before they go releasing more birds.

I'm sure a fully 80% of the die hard fans want the ability to multi-crew in an online setting, rather than another helo just yet

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You know the game engine guys aren't writing the lua scripts and making textures right?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So DCS is doing a Kickstarter to make WWII.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944

I might have to pledge $75...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I need to sort out what SID/STAR to use for whatever runway. The routes from simroutes and flightaware don't take care of that. They all start with the SID and end with the STAR.

As much as I know about airplanes and have experience in one, I dont know poo poo about navigation. Never had to learn it. I get the basics but can't piece together a flight plan to save my life in one of these sims.

bloops fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 5, 2013

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
From the people that brought you the abortion that is Cliffs of Dover.

Yeah, gonna have to pass on that Kickstarter haha.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

They all start with the SID and end with the STAR.

As opposed to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Ferret King posted:

As opposed to?

Well I should've clarified not with the departure runway or arrival runway. When I do plug in a route. I'm blindly guessing what runway to use for departure and that screws up the routes so LNAV/VNAV go all bonkers. I edited my post.