Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Torino posted:

Isn't that one of the Pretty Cure girls, and not Sailor Moon? (Unless you mean that's the top of her head under the pink-haired girl; its hard to tell.)

Yeah, that's Cure Peach from Fresh Pretty Cure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Is there a way to buy these outside of Japan? These are really, really cool. :aaa:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

orenronen posted:

This is the mascot character for Milky, a soft milk-flavored candy form Fujiya corp. If you've been to Japan, you've probably seen her around. In the 60 or so years Milky has been around it turned into a major brand, with specialty shops and merchandise galore. I think it would be fair to say this mascot girl is one of the most recognized characters in Japan today.

Her name? Peko-chan.

Huh, knowing this has turned the reveal from utterly daft to hilariously clever, at least for me. It's so Japan-specific though, not that I can blame the devs for it. Are they aware of how popular the game has become outside Japan? Hopefully, a theoretical DR3 will have jokes everyone can get.

HelloWinter posted:

Is there a way to buy these outside of Japan? These are really, really cool. :aaa:

Don't they sell these in the States, maybe at dollar stores or something? I know you can get knockoffs like these in just about any small grocery shop here in Malaysia, especially in the rural areas.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 4, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

kvltmanifesto posted:

As much as I want the Kirakira pogo-sword thing to be a fake out, do we have any loose ends other than Kuzuryuu acting fishy? Like is there any evidence we haven't used or contradictions with the current deductions?

I'd say so. We've still got Kuzuryuu's evidence packet, and the note he tucked inside it.

The penmanship looks different from the letters Mahiru and Hiyoko "sent" each other, too. I don't know how much that's worth, exactly.

Here's something, though. We haven't really touched on the matter of Girl E, who was supposed to be the original murderer and who it's been assumed Boy F (Kuzuryuu) beat with that baseball bat.

When I saw that mask lying next to Mahiru I wondered if we'd come into another case of someone trying to kill the killer. Girl D (Mahiru) seemed kind of different in the game than she does in her modern self, doesn't she? Almost as much of a pushover as Girl A (Mikan), very hesitant and shy. Not like her modern self at all.

So, crazy speculation: Mahiru is Kirakira, and the game is the story of her first kill. Kuzuryuu recognizes himself and wants the whole story, and Mahiru wants to protect her own identity. She writes a letter to Hiyoko and forges one herself to give her an excuse to be at the beach house, then gets Kuzuryuu to come over there and tries to kill him, but Peko saves him. Peko boosts him out through the window first and then climbs out herself after Hiyoko freaks.

The one thing this doesn't explain is the lemon gummy. If this isn't a planned act on Peko and Kuzuryuu's part, where does it come from? Part of Mahiru's original frame? But she probably knows what flavors Hiyoko eats.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Miss Kalle posted:

Yeah, that's Cure Peach from Fresh Pretty Cure.

I wouldn't have been surprised if it was Sailor Moon since if you look at it,

There is a Goku mask the 3rd row down in the middle and the top row 8 masks from the left is a Kamen Rider G-3 mask and Agito hasn't been on the air in about 11 years. (Though if you go by the sentai and Kamen Rider masks the latest I see is Shinkenger and Decade so I'd gues this was 3-4 years ago?)

On the trial,they are doing everything they can to just draw it out and confuse us now aren't they? I really thought it might have finished in the last update even though they didn't explain the mask.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The presence of a Stitch mask is more interesting, he's clearly non-Japanese, though he did have a spinoff with a vaguely more Asian girl (Stitch!).

Assuming Peko isn't the murderer though, this trial is really similar to the second case of the first game. A repressed serial killer, someone who pretended to murder someone else, the motive is about 'memories'.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Yeah, I guess that isn't actually Sailor Moon herself, though I'm pretty sure the one that's cut off at the bottom of the photo is.

Stitch is, for some reason, insanely popular in Japan. He even gets those special limited regional merchandise usually reserved for Hello Kitty and such.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

ApplesandOranges posted:

The presence of a Stitch mask is more interesting, he's clearly non-Japanese, though he did have a spinoff with a vaguely more Asian girl (Stitch!).

I feel like that's more because Japanese love cute fluffy Disney creatures more than the princesses. Last time I was at Tokyo Disneyland the merch was pretty much half Stitch, half Marie the Aristocats kitten.

I had no idea the Milky girl had a name; thanks oren. If there's a sequel I half expect it with a character named Glico with a finish line pose like in Dotombori.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Stitch got an anime. I don't mean the Disney channel cartoon, I mean an honest-to-god set-in-a-Japanese-High-School anime.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Stitch got an anime. I don't mean the Disney channel cartoon, I mean an honest-to-god set-in-a-Japanese-High-School anime.

That's hilarious, and amazing. Do you have a link to the opening or anything?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Y'know, I feel like this whole 'OMG PEKO IS ACTUALLY KIRAKIRA THIS GAME IS DUMB' blowup is kind of a result of the LP format. It is probably kind of a dumb twist, but I think it would've worked better for someone who's playing through big chunks of the game at once instead of watching bits of someone else's playthrough. Throwing one stupid and/or crazy development after another isn't a bad way of creating tension in a game, and it grips the players as well, but it doesn't work as well in an episodic format like this since the audience can feel like, 'I waited for an update and this is what the game gives me???'

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
I'm eyeing that Doraemon mask, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. All those super sentai masks on the left blend together to me and I can't tell any of them apart. Anyone know how many different squads they have represented there?

VanSandman posted:

That's hilarious, and amazing. Do you have a link to the opening or anything?

There's even 3 seasons. All the openings are here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcYKfBEHXz4

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal

Argent Cinereus posted:

And yeah, why Kuzuryuu was trying to defend Peko before the Kirakira thing is kind of odd. Considering no one remembers each other from before the island, it seems like it'd be something that came up while they were there to me.

That may not necessarily still be the case. Kuzuryu's letter indicates that he may have recovered some of his memories after playing Twilight Syndrome.

Evidence Bullet Update posted:

Evidence Bullet Update posted:

Prize for Winning the Game

The prize was discovered in Koizumi's room. There were four photographs in the envelope, along with a letter. The letter read:

"Go play Twilight.
When you get a Game Over screen, just push Down-Up-Left-Left-Start to get to the secret mode.
When you do, I'm sure you'll remember. You'll remember what you bastards did to my sister.
We'll talk later."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Psych posted:

That may not necessarily still be the case. Kuzuryu's letter indicates that he may have recovered some of his memories after playing Twilight Syndrome.

That, or someone saw that there were two Kuzuuryus in the credits, put two and two together, and framed him. Don't think it'll happen though.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Psych posted:

Wasn't one of the photos his dead sister? He'd still remember what she looked like from before Hope's Peak, and Monobear did say how the game was non-fiction.

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
Hrm, His reaction in the trial was kinda suprising though. I mean as soon as he heard of it he went right into denial.

I have a sort of idea that Kuzuryuu is going through the 5 stages of grief, and then he's just gone into anger, which is why he's so riled up right now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I kind of want to see this now. :stare:

Ramengank posted:

It looks a lot less silly than I thought. Most of the characters from the cartoon are even there.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 4, 2013

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal

Requested_Username posted:

Wasn't one of the photos his dead sister? He'd still remember what she looked like from before Hope's Peak, and Monobear did say how the game was non-fiction.

That's a possibility. It just seems odd that he uses the word 'remember' if he didn't recover any memories.

But, It is just one word in a document translated from Japanese so I could easily be over estimating its significance.

Rena
Aug 21, 2012

"Things are...disasterrific."
edit: this sure was a preview posting instead of just previewing. Whoops.

Rena fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 4, 2013

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I kind of want to see this now. :stare:

It looks a lot less silly than I thought. Most of the characters from the cartoon are even there.

They actually show it where I live, localized, and assuming they're the same show (it's also called Stitch! here), it's pretty much the same premise as Lilo and Stitch, just with some new girl that Stitch is friends with and all the experiments kind of are just friends/acquaintances or whatever. I think Stitch now has to do good things instead of rounding up experiments or something.

I don't know, I don't watch it that often, probably because I'd rather have the little Hawaiian Elvis fan back. It shouldn't be hard to find a video of the English version out there.

Rena
Aug 21, 2012

"Things are...disasterrific."

Ramengank posted:

I'm eyeing that Doraemon mask, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. All those super sentai masks on the left blend together to me and I can't tell any of them apart. Anyone know how many different squads they have represented there?

You want someone being spergy about Japanese live action kids shows you say? Glad to help.

First of all most of them are actually Kamen Rider characters :eng101: KR aims slightly older for it's main demographic, think for about 12 year olds and younger instead of of the 8 and younger that Super Sentai is mainly for. It's not as team based though there is normally at least a few Riders, and both are trying to sell you stuff just like Transformers or MLP does. This ranges from little action figures for the kids to character outfits for your dog. If you want to find out more details I suggest checking out the tokusatsu thread and Wikipedia.

I'm counting about 9 different Sentai series, and 6 Kamen Rider ones. The oldest KR I can spot is five from the right on the first row, G3 from the 2001 series Agito. The oldest Sentai I see are Green and Yellow from the 2000 series Timeranger, and they are the fifth and sixth from the left of the first row. The first five on the left of the fifth row are actually Ultraman characters, but I just know enough to identify that's what they are, not which ones.

And I'll stop there before I say too much :downs:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Rena posted:

I'm counting about 9 different Sentai series, and 6 Kamen Rider ones.

I count 8 Kamen Rider series.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So basically even if there isn't a twist awaiting us, this entire thing was a gag anyway. I suppose that makes it better, in a way... This is what being trolled feels like, isn't it?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Is that the Blue Wild Force ranger up there? They really will make a mask of anything, won't they?

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Ramengank posted:

I did not honestly believe that people were telling the truth about an anime with Stitch until I watched that link.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

Is that the Blue Wild Force ranger up there? They really will make a mask of anything, won't they?

You have alot of Power ranger (Super Sentai) masks in that picture. From Time force, Turbo, etc.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Rena posted:

:words: :eng101: exactly what I was looking for

Thank you! My curiosity has been sated.

Psych posted:

That's a possibility. It just seems odd that he uses the word 'remember' if he didn't recover any memories.

But, It is just one word in a document translated from Japanese so I could easily be over estimating its significance.

Even if it's not "remember" in the truest sense, it's functionally the same thing here. Whether he truly recalled the events or logically reconstructed them from the events of the non-fiction game, he knows what happened and that's the key here. That's all he needs for a motive.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I am sort of agnostic if she really is the serial killer or is just using it as a front to protect Kuzuryuu, but that last part was just amazing. I am outing myself as a Sailor Moon fan, and unsurprisingly she hits the tone perfectly. Her voice acting and the animation strongly reminded me of Sailor Moon using her "In the name of the moon, I will punish you" speech. I suspect this is the creators of the game paying homage to one really good manga/anime.

Just a question, we still don't know one of the persons finding the body, right?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

It's either Peko or Kuzu

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Torrannor posted:

I am sort of agnostic if she really is the serial killer or is just using it as a front to protect Kuzuryuu, but that last part was just amazing. I am outing myself as a Sailor Moon fan, and unsurprisingly she hits the tone perfectly. Her voice acting and the animation strongly reminded me of Sailor Moon using her "In the name of the moon, I will punish you" speech. I suspect this is the creators of the game paying homage to one really good manga/anime.

Just a question, we still don't know one of the persons finding the body, right?

There's a reason for that:

orenronen posted:

Peko Pekoyama ( 辺古山ペコ ) is played by Kotono Mitsuishi, one of the legendary voice actresses of the '90s. Among her better known roles are Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon (in, well, Sailor Moon) and Misato Katsuragi (in the Evangelion franchise), although my own personal favorite has always been Excel in Excel Saga. Trivia: Mitsuishi is one of two actors in this game that script writer Kodaka asked for specifically.

And yeah, we're still one discoverer short.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
That reminds me... How big of a deal is it that Monobear is voiced by someone so popular? Do VAs have a sort of 'take any job' philosophy, or is DR a bigger thing than I think it is?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
To my understanding, voice acting is a much bigger/at least more paying gig in Japan than it is over here... where ridiculously talented actors get chump changed by the studios with the almost sole exception of the Simpsons cast who got paid a pretty penny in their time. Otherwise, you have to already be a celebrity a la Disney trends from the 90s onwards to get major recognition. One thing I recall was that Billy West (Fry in Futurama) stopped voicing Doug when the cartoon went from Nick to Disney because Disney would have paid him poo poo.

Of course, there are always those instances where an actor/actress could really dig a project and go along with it even if it's not going to bring them dumptrucks full of cash. I'm...guessing this happened with MB's actress.

Laughing_Stock
Jun 19, 2008

Gensuki posted:

That reminds me... How big of a deal is it that Monobear is voiced by someone so popular? Do VAs have a sort of 'take any job' philosophy, or is DR a bigger thing than I think it is?

From Part 6 of the LP for DR1, referencing Monobear's first appearance:

orenronen posted:

This voice belongs to Nobuyo Ooyama, a charming lady in her ‘70s who is a household name in Japan for being Doraemon for more than 25 years. Doraemon, for the few of you who has no idea, is a serious contender for the title of Japan’s most popular children cartoon. He’s a robot cat from the future and has been a constant in TV, movie theaters, computer games, commercials and countless other media for decades now.
Ooyama wasn’t the first to portray Doraemon, not is she his current voice (she retired in 2005). She did it the longest, though.
Most Japanese people grew up listening to Ooyama’s Doraemon, and her voice is rooted deep inside their psyches. I’ve now watched several people play through this part of the game (through the Japanese equivalent of Let’s Play), and it never fails to cause a huge reaction. To mimic the experience, I suggest readers imagine the voice of Bugs Bunny (or their own favorite cartoon hero from their childhood) coming out of this dude.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Gensuki posted:

To be fair, some people take roles like that seriously.

In the English Nippon Ichi games, Barbara Goodson has voiced Laharl in all of his appearances, even in a game where he has only two lines and no physical appearance on-screen.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
And this, ladies and gents, is why you should never ignore the improbable once you've removed the impossible. Especially in a game this anime.

Hearing Mitsuishi go full Sailor Moon is always nice.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

DeathBySpoon posted:

And yeah, we're still one discoverer short.

You know, I had a thought on this. What would happen if when she goes into "super justice" mode, it is like Genocider Syo and she is like a different person? Would Monobear be enough of an rear end to consider that a different person? Because if so that could be our missing person.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Colander Crotch posted:

You know, I had a thought on this. What would happen if when she goes into "super justice" mode, it is like Genocider Syo and she is like a different person? Would Monobear be enough of an rear end to consider that a different person? Because if so that could be our missing person.

I seriously doubt that, KiriKiri isn't even an independent personality, like Syo. KiriKiri is just Peko wearing a mask and saying weird stuff.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Not related to body chat, but an idea just hit me and I can't shake it. Is it at all possible that Koizumi was Kirakira? We've all gone over why Peko being Kirakira is, while not impossible, certainly weird and suspicious, but it seems like things fit together a little bit if we assume Koizumi was Kirakira. It's possible the events of the game were actually Kira-zumi's work somehow, Kuzuryuu or Peko went to confront her, and things somehow escalated from there - At the very least, the presence of the mask becomes a matter of it having fallen from Koizumi's face when she was struck rather than Peko just leaving a trail for us for no apparent reason.

There's probably holes in that theory, but it seems more plausible than a previously level-headed and anti-Despair Game(for lack of a shorter phrase) turning out to have killed just because 'WOOOO I'M SO CRAZY YOU GUYS!!!' It's also a more subtle and interesting callback to the last game's second case in that Peko would have 'wound up killing' Koizumi.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 5, 2013

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not related to body chat, but an idea just hit me and I can't shake it. Is it at all possible that Koizumi was Kirakira?

Koizumi as Kirakira has been suggested a few times, and personally I'm really fond of the theory (as it puts an entirely different spin on Koizumi, solves the E-ko murder, and sets up the group as a whole for an extra large helping of despair), but with Peko's revelations in the last update, the idea becomes more complicated. If we say that yes, Koizumi was Kirakira and she's the reason the mask was at the scene, we still have the problem of why Peko would be claiming to be Kirakira. Peko did seem to want people not to look at the motivation for the killing, and perhaps she might just be using Kirakira as a handy "I killed her because I'm a serial killer, no need to look for anything beyond that" reason. But if that's the case she must be covering up something big, which could be that she wasn't really the killer and was actually the first person to find the body. And if she wasn't the killer, she'd need some powerful motivation for pretending otherwise.

If Peko isn't Kirakira and the whole thing is an act for some purpose, I have to give Peko credit for being willing to wear the silly mask and spout magical girl catch-phrases as obfuscation tools. Anyway, the next update is bound to make it clear whether she's really Kirakira, because Sonia the fangirl extraordinaire is hardly going to fail to notice if she isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Yeah, the more I think of it, the more sure I am Koizumi's Kirakira. Speaking purely to the text, it seems to explain a lot of the odd behavior and evidence we've seen, and from a meta level: You have to think a string of big sad, late trial reveals would be this game's style, and Koizumi the likable, child-befriending everygirl being a killer is a twist of the knife, particularly to Saionji, and you know there's going to be a lot of that this early into a Dangan Ronpa game, to say nothing of whatever bombshell Peko's trying to cover up.

• Locked thread