Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Sledge posted:

Pacific Rim just crossed $400 Million Worldwide. Hopefully this leads to a much deserved sequel.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/30/ca-wb-pacific-rim-idUSnBw305718a+100+BSW20130830

Setting a large portion of the movie in Hong Kong and Asia and having a Japanese lead actress seems to have helped pull this out of the hole. It made $110 million in China alone, which is incredible.

But it looks like the distributor for it was China Film, not Warner Bros. Any idea how much WB actually gets from that $110 million? I've heard that on occasion, the international numbers are quite misleading because the production company (WB) gets a significantly smaller share of the revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They make like 20% on movies released in China.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Mu Zeta posted:

They make like 20% on movies released in China.

They don't make 25%, their Chinese partners just hold the rest of money hostage until WB agrees to pay Chinese government 2% tax on movies.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Pacific Rim 8-bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWHlOIKr_oY

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

That is better than the iOS game btw.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

It needs to have 8-bit RZA rapping the theme song, or it's not an accurate depiction of Pacific Rim.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

xxEightxx posted:

That is better than the iOS game btw.

Better graphics and gameplay too.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I hope this finds its way to Guillermo Del Toro.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
This has really been buggin me, hear me out:

I think Marshal Pentecost really screwed the pooch in the battle of Hong Kong. He let Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon get killed , and was so afraid of losing his trump card he told Striker Eureka to hang back until the point that he couldn't save Cherno. Then, when he gets EMP'ed, they get Gypsy in rediculously fast. Why not have him out there to begin with? Yeah, I know, they were worried about Mako, but at that point in the war they really didn't have anything to lose.

In hindsight, when you see how much Gypsy Danger kicks rear end, singlehandedly killing two Kaiju that weren't even so much as softened up (aside from getting a flare in the eye), it makes Cherno and Crimson's sacrifice for nothing. I know they need to add the 'Worf effect' to show that Category IV's are Serious Business, but I really feel like they got their point across with a Category III in the form of Knifehead.

I would have liked to see the Jaegers physically interacting with each other (helping each other up, leaping to protect a wounded wingman, etc). For such an international effort that had, in the past, used coordinated strikes with multiple Jaegers, they are used solo and for the most part rather impotently. Only Striker Eureka gets a decisive battle in a newsreel footage scene; the other battles are either close calls for dramatic purposes or done offscreen (Coyote Tango vs Onibaba).

Like Striker Eureka, Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon should have gotten their own 'recap'. 1 minute each of them doing what they do best. They could have showed Crimson Typhoon gutting some Kaiju with his blade arms (using two arms to hold the Kaiju and the other to saw it up) and a scene with Cherno Alpha pummeling a Kaiju into an iceberg.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Panfilo posted:

I know they need to add the 'Worf effect' to show that Category IV's are Serious Business, but I really feel like they got their point across with a Category III in the form of Knifehead.

I would have liked to see the Jaegers physically interacting with each other (helping each other up, leaping to protect a wounded wingman, etc). For such an international effort that had, in the past, used coordinated strikes with multiple Jaegers, they are used solo and for the most part rather impotently. Only Striker Eureka gets a decisive battle in a newsreel footage scene; the other battles are either close calls for dramatic purposes or done offscreen (Coyote Tango vs Onibaba).

Like Striker Eureka, Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon should have gotten their own 'recap'. 1 minute each of them doing what they do best. They could have showed Crimson Typhoon gutting some Kaiju with his blade arms (using two arms to hold the Kaiju and the other to saw it up) and a scene with Cherno Alpha pummeling a Kaiju into an iceberg.

I agree.

Long before the movie came out I expressed fear that Del Toro would do exactly what he did: have the characters talk up how great the other Jaegers were, then have them wiped out immediately. He did the same thing with the Blood Pack in Blade 2, assembling a vampire super-team of interesting looking characters, only to have most of them killed almost immediately.

Del Toro needs to do a better job showing us these minor characters are badass, rather than telling us.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Wizchine posted:

I agree.

Long before the movie came out I expressed fear that Del Toro would do exactly what he did: have the characters talk up how great the other Jaegers were, then have them wiped out immediately. He did the same thing with the Blood Pack in Blade 2, assembling a vampire super-team of interesting looking characters, only to have most of them killed almost immediately.

Del Toro needs to do a better job showing us these minor characters are badass, rather than telling us.

Did either of them show up in any of the news clips back in the "good old days" when humanity was beating up on Category I and II kaiju? That would have been super easy.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Carbolic posted:

Did either of them show up in any of the news clips back in the "good old days" when humanity was beating up on Category I and II kaiju? That would have been super easy.

The exposition montage goes by so quickly that it's difficult to discern if they show up, and unimportant regardless.

It's also not a very good example of 'show, don't tell'.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Wizchine posted:

I thought he achieved that just with that shot of the Kaidanovskys crossing the Shatterdome floor - I loving love that shot and to me it established their badassness more than a dozen clips of Cherno Alpha elbow-dropping kaiju.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Clipperton posted:

I thought he achieved that just with that shot of the Kaidanovskys crossing the Shatterdome floor - I loving love that shot and to me it established their badassness more than a dozen clips of Cherno Alpha elbow-dropping kaiju.

I wouldn't mind seeing a dozen clips of Cherno Alpha elbow-dropping kaiju, just for comparison's sake.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
He could have shoehorned in some more scenes;

In the bit with the exposition when they are talking about the development and deployment of the Jaeger program, they could have had a brief clip of Cherno Alpha (being a Mark I) smashing some Kaiju skull or something.

For me, its hard to feel like a character/robot was significant when it was such a small part of the story and did so little. Maybe 'Worf effect' isn't appropriate, more like Boba Fett syndrome ;)

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The main differences for Gipsy Danger when it came to fighting the Kaiju was that it wasn't fighting both of them (unlike Cherno in the end), and the pilots had some idea of what to expect.

That all said and done, yeah, perhaps some sort of footage overlap with Stacker's exposition about either of them would be nice. Especially with regards to some of the smaller details about their arsenals - like Cherno's Tesla Coil fists or that Crimson Typhoon is meant to be ridiculous by Jaeger standards for being able to kick properly, thanks to three pilots handling the neural load and weight distribution.

That said, at least they actually had a chance to fight and show off a bit first, rather than just literally running in only to be smacked around.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Astro Nut posted:

The main differences for Gipsy Danger when it came to fighting the Kaiju was that it wasn't fighting both of them (unlike Cherno in the end), and the pilots had some idea of what to expect.

Wasn't Otachi fighting Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon at the same time? It's kind of weird that they weren't able to really injure Otachi at all, despite working together, and definitely makes them seem more like cannon fodder.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Pacific Rim is coming out on DVD and Blu October 15th in the US, per the official twitter account a few minutes ago.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gameday posted:

Pacific Rim is coming out on DVD and Blu October 15th in the US, per the official twitter account a few minutes ago.

Sounds early?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I ran across an individual who thinks the Star Wars prequels are significantly better films than Pacific Rim

:negative:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The truth hurts.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Apparently the UK release of the Blu-Ray is all the way in November, so it'll take a while for me to see the film again. That said, given the friends I have who watched it, should give us an additional thing to do in the holidays.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

teagone posted:

I ran across an individual who thinks the Star Wars prequels are significantly better films than Pacific Rim

:negative:

They're significantly better... comedies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5jjXTPtyY

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I would easily rank them higher in terms of landfill material.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

Sounds early?

Sounds just right! I'm getting serious withdraws, I really want to watch this movie again. It's not really playing anywhere in theaters now, at least not in the U.S. and has come mostly to a stop at over 400 million dollars made in theaters. Time to make more money on blu-ray sales.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Sounds just right! I'm getting serious withdraws, I really want to watch this movie again. It's not really playing anywhere in theaters now, at least not in the U.S. and has come mostly to a stop at over 400 million dollars made in theaters. Time to make more money on blu-ray sales.

Grown Ups 2 is still in my local theater...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

What sort of dark magic allows this to happen? :negative:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

It's playing in second run theaters here in Stumptown at the moment.

I had to turn down an offer to go see it last night because I had work to do. My friend said that the theater was pretty full for a Wednesday night.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My university campus has a movie theater and I'm going to try to recommend that they play it.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Shore did! :D

And it rules. Those of you who do not have one are lesser beings than I, having been blessed by the god-king 7thBattalion.

Between you and the Homeworld/Borderlands thread I should be rightly worshipped.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

PaganGoatPants posted:

Score one for Vancouver, where Grown Ups 2 is long gone and PR is only this week moving to the 2nd-run theatre. I'll probably get to see it a fourth time.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Clipperton posted:

Score one for Vancouver, where Grown Ups 2 is long gone and PR is only this week moving to the 2nd-run theatre. I'll probably get to see it a fourth time.

I'd expect nothing less from the home of Brawler Yukon!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dammerung posted:

Wasn't Otachi fighting Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon at the same time? It's kind of weird that they weren't able to really injure Otachi at all, despite working together, and definitely makes them seem more like cannon fodder.

Yeah, I thought that was kinda stupid too, that we get all this setup for how badass Cherno and Crimson are, and then they can't even take a kaiju when it's two on one. They have about 5 minutes or so in the fight before Leatherback shows up, and they immediately go down like chumps.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

DStecks posted:

Yeah, I thought that was kinda stupid too, that we get all this setup for how badass Cherno and Crimson are, and then they can't even take a kaiju when it's two on one. They have about 5 minutes or so in the fight before Leatherback shows up, and they immediately go down like chumps.

A Kaiju that seemed to be explicitly designed to counter them both, mind you.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Well, yeah, they obviously had no chance against Leatherback, but Otachi was fragile enough that all it took to kill was a good swing from Gipsy's sword. Which, incidentally, was one of the few "Wow!" moments the trailer didn't spoil. Only other ones I can think of are when Gipsy arrested its fall from space, and the reveal of Slattern.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 7, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Late Update: We’ve heard back from WHV – here’s the final confirmed and detailed list of extras on the Blu-ray versions: Audio commentary by Guillermo del Toro, The Directors Notebook, 3 documentary featurettes (Drift Space, The Digital Artistry of Pacific Rim and The Shatterdome), 17 Focus Points featurettes and features (A Primer on Kaijus & Jaegers, Intricacy of Robot Design, Honoring The Kaiju Tradition, The Importance of Mass and Scale, Shatterdome Ranger Roll Call, Jaegers Echo Human Grace, Inside the Drift, Goth-Tech, Mega Sized Sets, Baby Kaiju Set Visit, Tokyo Alley Set Visit, Orchestral Sounds from the Anteverse, The Shatterdome (a Production Database), The Wall of Life/Rations, Excuse Me, Theft and “Catch You In The Drift, Dad”), deleted scenes (some 30 minutes worth according to del Toro in recent interviews) and a blooper reel.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/090593_1600

:neckbeard:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Milky Moor posted:

Otachi alone? I entirely disagree - Cherno seemed to do extremely well, up until the acid spitting thing. How did the biggest, heaviest jaeger elbow dropping this kaiju on the neck not do some kind of lasting damage? It all just seemed very confusing and arbitrary.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dammerung posted:

Otachi alone? I entirely disagree - Cherno seemed to do extremely well, up until the acid spitting thing. How did the biggest, heaviest jaeger elbow dropping this kaiju on the neck not do some kind of lasting damage? It all just seemed very confusing and arbitrary.

The obvious answer is that Cherno is a Mark I Jaeger with Otachi being a Cat-4 Kaiju. It's Otachi, not Leatherback, that quite effortlessly severs one of Cherno's arms during the fight. Otachi is far, far stronger and dangerous than it initially appears - an idea demonstrated by the numerous abilities it displays. Cherno and Crimson don't really engage Otachi at the same time, either. Crimson is disarmed and thrown onto the ground before Cherno arrives. And right from the start of the battle, goddamn Chuckis declaring that Cherno and Crimson can't handle Otachi alone and that they need Striker to take it on.

Edit: Otachi seems pretty beating resistant as even Striker's onslaught doesn't leave much of a lasting effect. Sure, Gipsy's sword works - because Jaegers don't tend to exhibit cutting weapons like that.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 7, 2013

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Milky Moor posted:

The obvious answer is that Cherno is a Mark I Jaeger with Otachi being a Cat-4 Kaiju.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Gypsy is completely capable of taking on Otachi as a Mark Three, whereas Crimson Typhoon, who is a Mark Four, is completely unable to do any lasting damage. The ranking system doesn't seem to mean much.

Milky Moor posted:

It's Otachi, not Leatherback, that quite effortlessly severs one of Cherno's arms during the fight. Otachi is far, far stronger and dangerous than it initially appears - an idea demonstrated by the numerous abilities it displays.

I do agree with this, but it really doesn't help Cherno or Crimson look capable at all. And that, ultimately, is what it comes down to for me - despite supposedly being these great Jaegers, they are completely ineffective. Their deaths comes off as a sidenote (we don't have any time to mourn for them, after all!), and while it may come off as understandable inside the universe, it's not something I enjoyed seeing.

Milky Moor posted:

Cherno and Crimson don't really engage Otachi at the same time, either. Crimson is disarmed and thrown onto the ground before Cherno arrives. And right from the start of the battle, goddamn Chuckis declaring that Cherno and Crimson can't handle Otachi alone and that they need Striker to take it on.

Which again, makes them look like complete chumps!

Milky Moor posted:

Edit: Otachi seems pretty beating resistant as even Striker's onslaught doesn't leave much of a lasting effect. Sure, Gipsy's sword works - because Jaegers don't tend to exhibit cutting weapons like that.

I found the whole cutting weapon thing to be a bit weird. Even if it would create massive ecological destruction or whatever, surely Striker shouldn't have hesitated in popping its skewers out to save one of the four remaining Jaegers from complete obliteration? Why was it just tapping Otachi in the head, instead of immediately peppering it with missiles or something?

I apologize if I'm coming off as disrespectful or argumentative, that's not my intention at all! I just have some concerns with the fights in this movie - namely that 90% of the blows thrown don't seem to do anything. They look very impressive, but you don't see any Kaiju really reacting to anything except for killing blows. I mean, they get knocked around a bit, sure, but with absolutely no reduction to their fighting capacity. How am I supposed to believe that Cherno Alpha is physically stronger than Crimson Typhoon because of its size, or roll of coins thing, or whatever when both of them can't seem to do any damage at all? Chuck and Herc did more damage with flare guns than both of those Jaegers combined!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dammerung posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Gypsy is completely capable of taking on Otachi as a Mark Three, whereas Crimson Typhoon, who is a Mark Four, is completely unable to do any lasting damage. The ranking system doesn't seem to mean much.

Yeah, sorry, I was phone posting.

To me, it seems like a Jaeger can (generally speaking) safely engage a Kaiju of the same category and lower. After all, surely a Mark One Jaeger would've been designed to beat Cat-1 Kaiju. Then bigger Kaiju necessitating better Jaegers, like an arms race. Crimson might've been able to have a better showing against Otachi, if Otachi hadn't immediately disabled its only weapon systems and crippled the Jaeger.

quote:

I do agree with this, but it really doesn't help Cherno or Crimson look capable at all. And that, ultimately, is what it comes down to for me - despite supposedly being these great Jaegers, they are completely ineffective. Their deaths comes off as a sidenote (we don't have any time to mourn for them, after all!), and while it may come off as understandable inside the universe, it's not something I enjoyed seeing.

Which again, makes them look like complete chumps!

I understand this. To me, though, the scene doesn't illustrate the ineptitude of the two Jaegers but it demonstrates the superiority of the newest generation of Kaiju. I might be a more simple moviegoer but the film telling me that Cherno and Crimson are really great, combined with the visual tells of the Kaidonovskys, had me sold on their greatness.

You know how people say how boring movies would be if the villians were competent? Like, if the Empire's Stormtroopers could just shoot straight? That's how I saw it. We're seeing two very competent and dangerous Kaiju, the cutting-edge up until the end of the film, who've been built based on an intimate knowledge of Jaeger technology. It wouldn't be nearly as effective if Cherno - as much as I love Cherno and the Kaidonovskys - had been able to win. Cherno was old, Crimson was a one-trick pony.

I think a more detailed, longer fight would have worked against the narrative punch of the Hong Kong battle. It's only about five minutes long but, my God, it is intense.

quote:

I found the whole cutting weapon thing to be a bit weird. Even if it would create massive ecological destruction or whatever, surely Striker shouldn't have hesitated in popping its skewers out to save one of the four remaining Jaegers from complete obliteration? Why was it just tapping Otachi in the head, instead of immediately peppering it with missiles or something?

The missiles need time to lock. Striker seems to fight by beating up the Kaiju until it is stunned or slowed, then stepping back to deliver a coup de grace from its missile batteries. In the Hong Kong fight, when Chuck and Herc do the whole 'let's bare our chest to open the missile tubes' thing, one of them shouts that they're activating the missile lock. They might not be able to be dumbfired. It's also something that Leatherback exploits.

quote:

I apologize if I'm coming off as disrespectful or argumentative, that's not my intention at all! I just have some concerns with the fights in this movie - namely that 90% of the blows thrown don't seem to do anything. They look very impressive, but you don't see any Kaiju really reacting to anything except for killing blows. I mean, they get knocked around a bit, sure, but with absolutely no reduction to their fighting capacity. How am I supposed to believe that Cherno Alpha is physically stronger than Crimson Typhoon because of its size, or roll of coins thing, or whatever when both of them can't seem to do any damage at all? Chuck and Herc did more damage with flare guns than both of those Jaegers combined!

That just seems to be the nature of Kaiju/Jaeger fights. Fight until they get stunned or slowed or leave their guard open, then kill them with something powerful.

I do understand where you're coming from, but I just think we see the scene from opposing points of view. I would have loved to see more Cherno action, too.

• Locked thread