Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Look at the guy in front on the left though, he's really fabulously raising his arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

General_Failure posted:

I read it was one of the most stolen vehicles in Russia, but that's not saying much. I saw some undercarriage shots and it was almost surreal to me. I think they took the VAZ mechanicals and suspension, spruced up some of it a touch (ABS etc) and nailed it to a GM shell. I won't deny I kind of want one, but such a dated and agricultural drivetrain in a reasonably modern vehicle is just kind of weird.

I'd rather a true Lada Niva over a Chevy Niva. :shepicide:

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

dissss posted:

Still under production, and still sold in my market (NZ)

Mitsubishi L300 1986-2013

Safety features include seatbelts and, well, seatbelts

Those things should be outright illegal to sell new, I can't believe they're still allowed.

http://www.ancap.com.au/pdf/218.PDF

One star, looking at the photo you're going to be fairly mangled in a crash as slow as 30mph.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Lightbulb Out posted:

Look at the guy in front on the left though, he's really fabulously raising his arm.

The two directly to the right of the car look like they're gladly giving up and are being apprehended.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

sanchez posted:

Those things should be outright illegal to sell new, I can't believe they're still allowed.

http://www.ancap.com.au/pdf/218.PDF

One star, looking at the photo you're going to be fairly mangled in a crash as slow as 30mph.

"The tested model of Mitsubishi Express van was introduced in Australia during 2003.
Airbags, antilock brakes (ABS) and electronic stability control are not available."

"The Mitsubishi Express scored 1.34 out of 16 in the offset crash test."

:stare:

Seems to be as bad as the Vazs and Ladas in all the crash videos i keep watching.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Mooseykins posted:

Apparenty T2 vans are still build in Brazil.

They just recently ended production, actually.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Terrible car stuff: my wife needs a new (to her) car and won't have anything but a convertible PT Cruiser.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

-S- posted:

Terrible car stuff: my wife needs a new (to her) car and won't have anything but a convertible PT Cruiser.

Sever, man. Sever.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Tell her you're putting your foot down because her safety is more important to you than anything else in the world.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that's legitimate grounds for divorce in all 50 states.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Tell her you're putting your foot down because her safety is more important to you than anything else in the world.

Then buy her one of these:

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

-S- posted:

Get her one of those wood panel kits with it. You're hosed already.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Get her one of those wood panel kits with it. You're hosed already.

I figure that and some of those stick on air holes and we're set.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

-S- posted:

I'm curious, why the preference towards that in particular?

This also makes me glad my wife and I both agree those things are horrible jokes.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

-S- posted:

We call them PT Losers here.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

I'm curious, why the preference towards that in particular?

This also makes me glad my wife and I both agree those things are horrible jokes.

Simply because she a) wants a convertible and b) inexplicably likes the way it looks. Believe me, I've spent 3 days telling her how terrible they are, but am apparently "being mean to her." I would honestly be fine buying her ANYTHING but that. Marital advice ITT.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You're not going to win this fight, let her have the thing.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

You're not going to win this fight, let her have the thing.

Oh, I know.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

-S- posted:

I figure that and some of those stick on air holes and we're set.

Get a holesaw and put proper holes in at least. Then you can say it's been to the track.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Has she actually driven one? My dad used to like them until he accidently rented one once. Changed his mind real quick.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
At a local car show. A modern classic.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

-S- posted:

Simply because she a) wants a convertible and b) inexplicably likes the way it looks. Believe me, I've spent 3 days telling her how terrible they are, but am apparently "being mean to her." I would honestly be fine buying her ANYTHING but that. Marital advice ITT.

Have you shown her a picture of a Prowler? Sure, it's not a great car, but it's a hell of a lot better than a PT cruiser and it's got a similar style to it.

Also you won't vomit every time you see it in the driveway.

Yes, I know it's a lot more expensive and horribly impractical, but anything's better than a PT cruiser as you said.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Failing the Prowler idea, is there a better car you could bolt that body onto? :v:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Failing the Prowler idea, is there a better car you could bolt that body onto? :v:

For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-V...ht_58534wt_1165

+

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3991648965.html

=

Profit

E: Yes, I know that's pretty much impossible, but surely it's easier than living with a PT cruiser?

E2: Or alternatively you could try to track this down http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/07/ebay-find-of-the-day-chrysler-pt-cruiser-rt-10-pickup/

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 5, 2013

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

-S- posted:

Steer her into a Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet. Don't do this. At least it won't be a terrible car to begin with, just moderately bad. Seriously, don't do this.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

-S- posted:

Does the new new Beetle come in a convertible? I really like the way it looks, and it'd probably appeal to her funky side.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

MrChips posted:

Steer her into a Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet. Don't do this. At least it won't be a terrible car to begin with, just moderately bad. Seriously, don't do this.

Alternately, a Golf / Beetle convertible (almost as bad)

As the party likely to be responsible for mechanical maintenance your best bet is to steer her towards a gently used Solara if she's locked into the 'vert idea. Go with her on any PT test drive and swear you hear worrying clunks from the suspension (likely this won't require fibbing.)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Why are we avoiding the best convertibles, Miata/S2000?

Hell, you don't get much that's easier to work on than a Miata.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

-S- posted:

slowly and gently guide her towards a volvo c70

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Beach Bum posted:

Why are we avoiding the best convertibles, Miata/S2000?

Hell, you don't get much that's easier to work on than a Miata.

She wants a PT Cruiser and you think she drives manual? (S2000)
:lol:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

slowly and gently guide her towards a volvo c70

I don't know, I think her taste is far too tragic to ever go for something as pretty as a C70...

Just look at that crazy roof :stare:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I don't know, I think her taste is far too tragic to ever go for something as pretty as a C70...

Just look at that crazy roof :stare:

not meant for this thread at all, but all the c70 talk and I just got linked to this video earlier today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD-nre2Y54Y

Insanely fast c70

*edit* is that a rs2 wagon at the end?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

She wants a PT Cruiser and you think she drives manual? (S2000)
:lol:

Manual PT Cruisers are out there...somewhere...right? I thought they were offered but I've never ever seen or even heard of one actually existing.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Negromancer posted:

not meant for this thread at all, but all the c70 talk and I just got linked to this video earlier today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD-nre2Y54Y

Insanely fast c70

*edit* is that a rs2 wagon at the end?

The noise that thing makes is frightening. Also I really wish we had autobahns in the US.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

-S- posted:

Simple solution: Go buy her a new car yourself. The wrath of dealing with her afterwards must be less than dealing with owning a PT Cruiser.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Previa_fun posted:

Manual PT Cruisers are out there...somewhere...right? I thought they were offered but I've never ever seen or even heard of one actually existing.

There was one posted on this very page.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3991648965.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I drove a manual PT for a while, it was docile as gently caress. Don't think that manual = better than

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Nitrox posted:

I drove a manual PT for a while, it was docile as gently caress. Don't think that manual = better than

Aren't they basically a neon? I thought those were almost acceptable with a stickshift if you try to wring its neck every moment. Too bad about the rest of the car, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Speaking of manuals vs automatics, I was at a local car show last weekend and goddamn if there weren't a ton of automatics there. Is this just an old man thing, that these guys prefer to have an automatic? My Studebaker has an automatic but I want to swap the transmission as soon as I can. Manuals are just a hell of a lot more fun. I've actually been a bit surprised at how many old automatic cars you see around, even back to the 50s.

They also seem to like putting modern seats into the cars, which I'm also assuming is an old man thing.