Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
So I...

I clicked it.
Not the cookie, mind you, I've been clicking that for a while now, I'm not new to this. But I did click One Mind. The cascade is gone, and in its place is... them. They're watching. For a time, I swore that more of them were appearing when I wasn't looking. Also, strange noises that I couldn't place happened shortly after buying the upgrade. They didn't sound quite like anything from outside, and they stopped when I clicked the sound control panel to watch the sound levels of the computer.

Don't tell them, but I exported a save from before I unleashed the awakening. Just in case the results are as undesirable as the message suggested. But even now, I miss the old news messages. Where have the kitties gone?

Edit: Why do they keep looking like they move? Why does their hair look like that? They said they were nice grandmas. What are they planning?

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Oblivion4568238 posted:

So I...

I clicked it.
Not the cookie, mind you, I've been clicking that for a while now, I'm not new to this. But I did click One Mind. The cascade is gone, and in its place is... them. They're watching. For a time, I swore that more of them were appearing when I wasn't looking. Also, strange noises that I couldn't place happened shortly after buying the upgrade. They didn't sound quite like anything from outside, and they stopped when I clicked the sound control panel to watch the sound levels of the computer.

Don't tell them, but I exported a save from before I unleashed the awakening. Just in case the results are as undesirable as the message suggested. But even now, I miss the old news messages. Where have the kitties gone?

Edit: Why do they keep looking like they move? Why does their hair look like that? They said they were nice grandmas. What are they planning?

Why don't you call your grandma?

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(
Why don't we coin the term 'blood cookie'? I mean, that is obviously what they are - a blood pact (in delicious cookie form) with the Grandmatriarchs.

Speaking of which I actually quite enjoy the art for this game. The background with the regular grandmas is really good, and I'd actually buy a physical print of it.

EDIT: I also got uncanny clicker without using an external program which is really neat to me

Klayboxx fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 5, 2013

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

quote:

hey what’s that
why yes it’s the room generation algorithm for the Cookie Clicker dungeons
isn’t that just swell

(they freeze up the browser for 2-4 seconds each on generation so I either need to drastically revise them or make something out of predefined dungeon parts, which isn’t very fun)

Taken from Orteil's blog.

EDIT: For some reason the picture isn't showing up for me on this post, here's a link in case it's the same for other's.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Davinci posted:

Taken from Orteil's blog.

EDIT: For some reason the picture isn't showing up for me on this post, here's a link in case it's the same for other's.

Wait so is this becoming a dungeon crawler? Because I loving love dungeon crawlers

pelao
Apr 21, 2010
If the Grandmatriarchs were Awoken or Displeased, and you were very lucky, could you get Frenzy from a golden cookie then Elder Frenzy from a bloodcookie?
Would it stack? :ohdear:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Income multipliers never stack, the new one just overrides the previous one.

EDIT: Although if you cheat (or maybe have the duration upgrade and are very lucky) you can have Elder Frenzy and Click Frenzy active at the same time, which is even more of an income boost.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 5, 2013

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
This game reminds me an awful lot of Candy Box: http://candies.aniwey.net/

Wait for it to get to 60 or so, there's much more gameplay lurking underneath

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Tycho over at Penny Arcade has been bitten by the cookie bug:

quote:

I would have gotten here a lot sooner if it weren’t for Cookie Clicker. Man, gently caress that guy. You work so hard to ennoble play and craft and systems as aesthetics and whatever other Goddamn thing, but if you put a cookie on the screen and ask me to click it I will apparently do that for hours and loving hours. I’m creating three and a half million cookies per second and it feels like the apex of human achievement. I stand atop a cookie ziggurat, my arms outstretched; chocolate lightning strikes both palms.

It feels like the end of The Ring. Everyone is being shown the cookie, the blessing of Grandma has been spread to many.

Edit: ^^^ Candy Box had me hooked for a while, but Cookie Clicker takes the counter-watching genre to a whole new level.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 5, 2013

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
When I saw Tycho's newspost, I am ashamed to say my reaction was worry that more people hitting the servers could get in the way of me getting cookies.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I don't understand why I:
1. Started playing this game
2. Kept playing this game
3. Continued playing this game in class
4. Explained to other people about this game
5. Eventually came online to find tips on how to play this game better culminating in me finding this thread.

I think I might be fundamentally broken or something. This is not the behavior of a reasonable human being. I'm at 109 million cookies and counting.

Edit: 109 mil per second that is

Talorat fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 5, 2013

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Talorat posted:

5. Eventually came online to find tips on how to play this game better culminating in me finding this thread.

I think I might be fundamentally broken or something. This is not the behavior of a reasonable human being. I'm at 109 million cookies and counting.

You're just hitting the tip of the iceberg :getin:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
No. No no no no no. You must be joking.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Talorat posted:

Will like to hear your status report when you get the last 3 99 trillion cookies.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Talorat posted:

109 million total, or in cookies per second?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I did it....I finally broke my addiction...:negative:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm getting 6 and a half billion CPS.

I've been playing waaaay too much.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

109 million total, or in cookies per second?

Per second

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm getting 6 and a half billion CPS.

I've been playing waaaay too much.

Holy poo poo! I thought I knew what I was in for at 50m CPS. I now realize just how wrong I was...

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just wanted to check in one last time to share that I've been clean of cookies for almost 48 hours and I've found a 12 step meeting that seems really promising. For the first time in over a week I'm feeling positive about the prospect of life after cookies. If anyone else wants to get clean, you don't have to do it alone! There are some great resources available in the addiction/recovery thread in TCC or you can just look up a local Cookies Anonymous meeting on their website: http://www.cookiesanonymous.org/

Good luck everyone!

Musluk
May 23, 2011

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I just wanted to check in one last time to share that I've been clean of cookies for almost 48 hours and I've found a 12 step meeting that seems really promising. For the first time in over a week I'm feeling positive about the prospect of life after cookies. If anyone else wants to get clean, you don't have to do it alone! There are some great resources available in the addiction/recovery thread in TCC or you can just look up a local Cookies Anonymous meeting on their website: http://www.cookiesanonymous.org/

Good luck everyone!

Why is there a golden cookie on the webpage, man?

WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I convinced my friend to join my army of servitude to the grandma's to start playing cookie clicker.

I am an evil bastard.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
Hanging up my baking tray at 500 million cookies per second

God speed you emotionally damaged bastards

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Meliv posted:

Hanging up my baking tray at 500 million cookies per second

God speed you emotionally damaged bastards

Why would you do this. There is still so much to see. So many cookies to make.

I just broke 1 billion cps this morning. That's with the grandmatriarch turned off.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I can see why people are giving up on the game since towards the "end" you basically have one or two actions per day as everything costs so much.

But since I have 700-million CPS and I'm interested in these dungeons, I'll just think of it like a play-by-mail game.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Antifreeze Head posted:

I can see why people are giving up on the game since towards the "end" you basically have one or two actions per day as everything costs so much.

But since I have 700-million CPS and I'm interested in these dungeons, I'll just think of it like a play-by-mail game.

Oh don't you worry, they'll be back. I quit too, about ten versions ago. I figured if there's so frequent content updates I might as well wait it out. When enough time has passed, and there's enough new stuff to see, they'll come back.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Once Orteil adds dungeons, there should be more stuff to do.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I hope no-one is using the Covenant instead of Pledges :ohdear:

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
I discovered an extra-special bonus level! Refreshing the drat page until the site comes back up. :negative:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Instant Grat posted:

I am, but that's because I've got it running in the background with a script to click golden cookies when they appear. If I had a more active role I'd use Pledges.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

Why, did the Covenant get worse again?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

McDragon posted:

Why, did the Covenant get worse again?

No, but now there's an upgrade to make the pledges last twice as long at the same price, so they're even more better than the covenant than they were before.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

What's the negative consequence of not using the pledge or covenant, just that the golden cookies aren't as good?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Instant Grat posted:

No, but now there's an upgrade to make the pledges last twice as long at the same price, so they're even more better than the covenant than they were before.

Does the cost of pledges cap at some value? Otherwise it should get more expensive than covenant real fast, shouldn't it?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Mons Hubris posted:

What's the negative consequence of not using the pledge or covenant, just that the golden cookies aren't as good?

Yes, since the change that 80% of the time a blood/golden cookie effect that just happened will be taken out of rotation for the next blood/golden cookie. With the grandmatriarch's appeased, you're going to be often switching from Frenzy to Lucky because those are the two most probable effects, whereas with blood cookies you've got 2 bad effects (Clot, 1/2 production) and one good one (Lucky) with a combined probability of ~90% split across equally.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sage Grimm posted:

Yes, since the change that 80% of the time a blood/golden cookie effect that just happened will be taken out of rotation for the next blood/golden cookie. With the grandmatriarch's appeased, you're going to be often switching from Frenzy to Lucky because those are the two most probable effects, whereas with blood cookies you've got 2 bad effects (Clot, 1/2 production) and one good one (Lucky) with a combined probability of ~90% split across equally.

Red cookies also have a Cookie Chain, Clicking Frenzy (x66 or so cookies per manual click for 10 seconds), and Elder Frenzy (x666 cps for 6 seconds). The durations are doubled after the last gold cookie upgrade.

Getting Elder Frenzy is insanely profitable, but it's so uncommon that keeping the elders wrathful ends up not worth it after you get that last gold cookie upgrade. What's worse is that clot will also last twice as long. I would recommend keeping them angered before getting that upgrade, though. Since the most recent game update, special cookie effects only have a 20% chance of occurring twice. This makes getting a chain, Lucky, or Elder Frenzy more likely after a bad event. Either of those three more than make up for the amount lost during Ruin or Clot.

After the upgrade, though, keeping them appeased is the way to go because of the (insanely common) likelihood of comboing Frenzy and Lucky together. Not to mention avoiding double-length Clot.

steinrokkan posted:

Does the cost of pledges cap at some value? Otherwise it should get more expensive than covenant real fast, shouldn't it?

It caps at about 550 billion, which should be chump change by the time you can get it.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I'm at the point where I could research the "one mind" upgrade...

In case I want to turn the grandmas off later, is the 5% tithe just a hit to my multipier, or is it -5% after everything else is considered?

Edit:
More to the point, am I better off not going down that road at all if I'm going to use the covenant? Or will I make more cookies afterwards even with the covenant on?

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 5, 2013

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Bought all three 99 trillion cookies in one go this morning, running about 798 million cps, only thing left is to get those last 13 time machines :smug:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

I'm at the point where I could research the "one mind" upgrade...

In case I want to turn the grandmas off later, is the 5% tithe just a hit to my multipier, or is it -5% after everything else is considered?

Edit:
More to the point, am I better off not going down that road at all if I'm going to use the covenant? Or will I make more cookies afterwards even with the covenant on?

You should only buy the covenant once, for the achievement, and then immediately turn it off again basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

You should only buy the covenant once, for the achievement, and then immediately turn it off again basically.

I appreciate the response, but that doesn't really answer my question. It prescribes a course of action but doesn't explain why. Does that mean it's different than just -5% to my multiplier? Even though the red cookies scare me, I understand running pledges is considered superior to the covenant. Mostly I'm just asking how the mechanics of the covenant works.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 5, 2013

• Locked thread