Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Nilbop posted:

The one uninteresting thing about this manga so far has been the main villain. Midora has been incredibly bland, with only his design making him interesting.

To be honest, I think his beard looks pretty stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshi
Sep 29, 2004

Law Cheetah posted:

To be honest, I think his beard looks pretty stupid

The translation in Chinese is out and once the English is also out (if required), well, you can decide whether your comment is an understatement.

At least we can assume he is very popular with the ladies, with a tongue like that.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Kenshi posted:

The translation in Chinese is out and once the English is also out (if required), well, you can decide whether your comment is an understatement.

At least we can assume he is very popular with the ladies, with a tongue like that.

If you thought the chapter Rapp was introduced had a lot of penises in it, you ain't seen nothing yet.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Toriko/Ch-248--Ichiryuu-s-Power--?id=174503
I'm guessing floating islands benefit the guy with lots of floating atoms. Seems like Ichiryuu would have the best mobility of anything ever, basically nullifying not just gravity, but inertia too, by having the atoms spread throughout his body. That's a pretty great overpowered power.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I have no idea what's going on, but I'm cool with Ichiryuu using Chopsticks to fight.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nothing says battle manga like actual laws of physics applied without actually considering what they mean.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uhhh, can someone explain what the gently caress happened in this chapter?

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Mr. Maltose posted:

Nothing says battle manga like actual laws of physics applied without actually considering what they mean.

Luckily I'm too stupid to understand it anyway.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't think that's even a real physics thing? It sounded like pseudoscience at best to me. :pseudo:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

RatHat posted:

Uhhh, can someone explain what the gently caress happened in this chapter?

Ichiryuu is powered by Culinary Quantum Physics. Also maybe Midora has goodness inside him who knows.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Mr. Maltose posted:

Also maybe Midora has goodness inside him who knows.

And that goodness is exceptional!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sindai posted:

I don't think that's even a real physics thing? It sounded like pseudoscience at best to me. :pseudo:

It is, uh, kind of true in that it works for several classical treatments - which leads me to my next statement, I hope to god that Midora kills Ichiryuu and says "Didn't you know? The square root is just an approximation :smug: "

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The reference mentioned is a real thing by a respect biologist, but I have no idea what it actually is because I don't read Japanese nor do I want to spend about 50 bucks getting a copy.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Nahxela posted:

I have no idea what's going on, but I'm cool with Ichiryuu using Chopsticks to fight.

Not just chopsticks, but bad chopstick etiquette. I don't think there are too many people who have weaponized bad manners.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
This is by far the most bullshit pseudoscientific explanation I've ever seen in any manga. I mean, I'm not really surprised anymore when characters can fly or materialize weapons from out of nowhere. But the author is trying to pass of some sort of logical explanation, and is completely failing to make any sense at all even in the loving toriko universe. I'm wondering if the translator just hosed up terribly.

The fighting based on table etiquette is great though.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

ANIME AKBAR posted:

This is by far the most bullshit pseudoscientific explanation I've ever seen in any manga.

To date. This series has a long ways to go.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Honestly, I love it. Of course the people who are at the bleeding edge of body perfection via eating can control their bodies down to the singular atoms in their structure. Food already allows you to become super-dense without changing anything else about how you interact with the world, to possess hair that has malevolent will to eat the planet and then go out to space, or to let your immune system become anathema to all other life. Let's just get crazy.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
I cannot wait until they get into space and meet some Galactus level planet head that does nothing but eat solar systems and uses its moons to fight.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopsticks#Etiquette

"One should not 'dig' or 'search' through one's food for something in particular. This is sometimes known as "digging one's grave" or "grave-digging" and is extremely poor form."

Calling it, Ichiryu will have a move that drills inside the opponent with that stuff. Also Midora's bazillion spiky tongues are pretty great and in line with the Bishokukai having gross as gently caress powers.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Literally a mouthful of giant dicks

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Which the president catches with his wood.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Honestly, I love it. Of course the people who are at the bleeding edge of body perfection via eating can control their bodies down to the singular atoms in their structure. Food already allows you to become super-dense without changing anything else about how you interact with the world, to possess hair that has malevolent will to eat the planet and then go out to space, or to let your immune system become anathema to all other life. Let's just get crazy.

Let's not forget it also makes you strong enough to freeze the entire planet and everything on it momentarily!!!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ANIME AKBAR posted:

This is by far the most bullshit pseudoscientific explanation I've ever seen in any manga. I mean, I'm not really surprised anymore when characters can fly or materialize weapons from out of nowhere. But the author is trying to pass of some sort of logical explanation, and is completely failing to make any sense at all even in the loving toriko universe. I'm wondering if the translator just hosed up terribly.

The fighting based on table etiquette is great though.

I'm still trying to figure out when the series shifted from "Physical attacks with Utensil based visuals" to "I'm literally summoning thousands of chopsticks". At first stuff like Toriko's fork and knife were just normal chops and grabs with fancy visuals thrown in given this is a food based manga. But some time around Master Chin we had people actually forming chi weapons out of kilo-calorie fueled chakra. I don't really care because it looks cool but flying due to quantum physics is really stretching it. Just have the dude be standing on giant chopstick stilts or something.

Also, it's really cool that the president's preferred weapon are chopsticks because I kind of guessed it back in chapter 193 when the 0th division is getting together.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Well, his power is gravity, which deals with atoms I guess. Plus he's the only person in the manga that can currently fly (using this method). Even Midora needed the octapussy to get up to the floating islands. Ichiryuu's power seems blatantly overpowered, so it fits in well in this manga. I'm curious to see how Midora actually beats him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm guessing Ichiryuu will beat Midora half to death but Midora will pull a dirty trick to win.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

RatHat posted:

I'm guessing Ichiryuu will beat Midora half to death but Midora will pull a dirty trick to win.

Maybe Ichiryuu will hesitate at the last minute again in hopes of reforming Midora who uses the opportunity to pull that dirty trick.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Batmasterson posted:

Well, his power is gravity, which deals with atoms I guess. Plus he's the only person in the manga that can currently fly (using this method). Even Midora needed the octapussy to get up to the floating islands. Ichiryuu's power seems blatantly overpowered, so it fits in well in this manga. I'm curious to see how Midora actually beats him.
Master Chin could fly by flapping his spoons like a bird :3:

A flying penis bird.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Literally a mouthful of giant dicks

Now we know why there aren't many female characters on the good guys side.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
I guess it sort of makes sense given that Gourmet Cells are essentially magic.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Once you realize that Gourmet Cells are Adam from Bioshock you can just start nodding your head and go with it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Once you realize that Gourmet Cells are Adam from Bioshock you can just start nodding your head and go with it.

It really does, I mean, you get stronger by getting more of those and eating stuff?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Bullshit biomatter discovered in lifeforms at the bottom of the ocean depths that make things like thermodynamics and conservation of mass no longer apply.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/192768/toriko_ch249_by_hi-wa-mata-noboru

Midora turning Ichiryu's bullshit logic against him and opening a huge can of bullshit himself! You got eaten by ~space~. This is amazing. :allears:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I don't even know what to say. This is an entirely new dimension of insane power levels. Ichiryuu can stop your lungs and brain from working simply by looking at you. :wtc:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
All the quarks that compose Ichiryu are actually infinitesimal flexing men.

Also, Midora's bullshit Opposite Day Defense is wonderful. Toriko is wonderful.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Literally operating on Bizarro Logic. Me am not save you Superman.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Toriko still being Toriko :pcgaming:

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
At this point it seems like whoever says the most random loving thing wins.

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010
I have no idea what's happening but it looks cool so I'll allow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Liar posted:

At this point it seems like whoever says the most random loving thing wins.

The Calvinball of shonen

• Locked thread