Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

alcyon posted:

The NS (the Dutch Railways) have been installing new security cameras on platforms for the last few years.

It's such a clever design, the little critters actually look friendly and not as oppressive as 'regular' cameras. Their expression even changes from surprised to inquisitive and attentive as camera and hood tilt independent from each other. Quite insidious really.

Compare this to the cameras in the Red Light District in Amsterdam:

They are also super obvious, and there are even some signs pointing them out in busy areas:

I think that like the NS cameras, these are supposed to instill a sense of safety in tourists, since the Red Light, like train stations, is famous for being full of pickpockets and scam artists, and many people I know who have come to visit Amsterdam were unnecessarily paranoid about the risk posed by these criminals. On the other hand the Dutch police also have cameras posted in non-touristic poor suburban areas (such as predominantly immigrant neighborhoods) which look more or less like any generic surveillance cameras. The ones in the touristic areas, however, are specifically emblazoned with the police markings, making them super-obvious. This is accentuated by the fact that the Dutch police have a relatively outrageous style consisting of neon colors and jarring patterns that makes them look like extras from an 80's sci-fi movie:

twoday fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 18, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sir John Falstaff posted:

In fact, bus drivers seem like rather unlikely suspects, as opposed to, say, the massive drug cartels operating in the area (not that they're necessarily responsible either).

You don't think the bus drivers either get some $$$ from these guys to look the other way, are threatened to, or are somehow unaware of what's happening on their vehicle?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

systran posted:

Jill Stein and Chery Honkala, Green Party USA Presidential and VP candidates being arrested outside the 2012 Obama/Romney debates. They were protesting that the debates were funded by the major parties and excluded third parties from participating. They were arrested for refusing to leave.

It's not a democracy. I voted for a third party, my vote was thrown away, and the very slightly less right-wing Democratic party is in power and doing whatever the lobbyists want them to. If I didn't want military action to happen in Syria, what course of action did I have? I voted for a candidate that would have opposed it, and my vote just fell away to nothing. Until we change our voting system, it's not a democracy at all. You either throw away your vote or you vote for one aspect of the plutocracy. If you don't have money, you have no voice. Occupy Wallstreet shows that a massive, grassroots protest that spreads across the country no longer has any influence whatsoever without big financial backing.

For added fun, there are millions of Americans like me unlucky enough to live in places where we literally can't vote for someone else. My home state, Oklahoma, for example, doesn't allow third-party presidential candidates on the ballot, and doesn't allow write-ins either. Your options are the Democrat, the Republican, or just leaving the ballot blank. You don't even get the option to take a gamble on a third party. Granted, Oklahoma is a de facto one-party state anyway, with some counties voting for Romney by more than 95% in the last election, but I think a lot of that is because there are people like me, who lean more to the left but don't bother to vote in presidential elections because we're not allowed to vote for who we want. Even if we had held our noses and voted for Obama, it wouldn't matter, because the way the electoral college is structured, our Presidential vote is 100% completely loving meaningless until we move to a different state.

Rules for ballot access are decided at the state level, you see, and they vary from state to state. As far as I know, there hasn't been a third-party presidential candidate that managed to get on the ballot in every state in the country since the 1930s, and a lot of them literally cannot possibly win because they don't have access to at least 270 electoral votes (the minimum amount required to win the presidency). Even if you want to make a political statement by voting for a candidate you know will lose, how exactly are you supposed to do that when they don't even appear on the ballot, and your state of residence doesn't allow write-ins?

For content, have some Woody Guthrie, one of the few unambiguously good things to come out of my home state.

http://youtu.be/G4YKUJZI5Bg
http://youtu.be/8q_jDK-TcYk

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Earth posted:

I started writing up a lengthy response to explain myself regarding that picture, but this is the pictures thread. Because of it being the pictures thread I'll be quick. This is hardly victim blaming in my mind because there is implied agency of the mother choosing to consensually have unprotected sex with the male who has several children of different mothers. Sure, the picture's stance lacks empathy and tact, but it's hardly a false narrative.

You are perpetuating a false narrative. Being a single mother does not mean that you had consensual non-protected sex with a dude who has 3 kids already. What percentage of single mom's do you think fall into that category?

Many single moms are teenagers with few sexual partners when they become pregnant. It's a strawman, in the same vein of welfare queens, and I haven't even mentioned the racist implications behind it. Regardless, if a hypothetical women does have consensual, unprotected sex with a dude who already has kids, that does not absolve him of not bearing an equal burden of responsibility. To imply otherwise is to reinforce the idea she was "asking for it". A woman should never have to assume that if they get pregnant accidentally (or on purpose) they will likely raise the child on their own. At all. For any reason.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

You don't think the bus drivers either get some $$$ from these guys to look the other way, are threatened to, or are somehow unaware of what's happening on their vehicle?

Not really, or at least there's no real evidence for it, as far as I can tell. A. The fact that "some women" were last seen boarding a bus does not mean that all, or even a particularly significant portion, of the women even came into remote proximity to a bus, B. Even for those women, boarding a bus is a very common activity, and being last seen doing that by people who knew who they were seems like something that would happen frequently in any case, and C. boarding a bus means the women were traveling somewhere, which is one of the most likely times to be kidnapped. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that anything happened on the buses themselves.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 5, 2013

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twoday posted:

They are also super obvious, and there are even some signs pointing them out in busy areas:

This is actually required by law :eng101:

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

The Guardian approaches LF territory and I like it

Politicians' embarrassing moments - in pictures

Francoise Hollande in 2013

Al Gore, at the opening of a centre for homeless children in 2003

David Miliband outside Labour conference in 2008

George Bush and a turkey in 2001

Dutch politician Geert Wilders in 2009

Angela Merkel reacts at a meeting in 2012

John Kerry struggles to catch a football in 2003

Silvio Berlusconi gurning in 2013

John McCain in 2008

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I was going to respond with something else, but in the meantime noticed that I have a lot of pictures of Hillary Clinton standing in front of flags, so here's that instead:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Embarrassing photo of our PM:

(The embarrassing part is that people elected him)

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Not really, or at least there's no real evidence for it, as far as I can tell. A. The fact that "some women" were last seen boarding a bus does not mean that all, or even a particularly significant portion, of the women even came into remote proximity to a bus, B. Even for those women, boarding a bus is a very common activity, and being last seen doing that by people who knew who they were seems like something that would happen frequently in any case, and C. boarding a bus means the women were traveling somewhere, which is one of the most likely times to be kidnapped. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that anything happened on the buses themselves.

Yeah, I guess those women have no idea what's going on in their own city. Good thing there's a man hundreds of miles away who can explain it to them.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Embarrassing photo of our PM:

(The embarrassing part is that people elected him)

whats up with the shoe?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Earth posted:

Thanks for pointing out that they're referring to women as "girls" in that one picture. I guess I'm not as sensitive to the language that was used. I still stand by the fact that smaller hands may prefer a smaller pen. That part to me is not exactly a big deal. Hell, I've got a shorter thumb that I would love special designs for!

The problem is that there is literally no evidence for this. I mean I suppose if you don't have small hands it seems logical, since small children often have to use tiny forks and whatnot to eat with. But as someone with very small hands, I can tell you that after the age of about 10 this difficulty is pretty much eliminated, especially with lightweight objects like pens. The only thing I can think of that is harder to do with small hands is opening jars with stubborn lids. Also I'm pretty sure the Bic Lady pens are no different from normal Bics except in colour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrqCSErOjOY

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Wolfsbane posted:

Yeah, I guess those women have no idea what's going on in their own city. Good thing there's a man hundreds of miles away who can explain it to them.

Actually, none of the women quoted in the article (other than the murderer who may or may not be a woman) say the bus drivers were responsible either.

Unrelated:

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/remains-at-ex-florida-reform-school-1378296422-slideshow/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_School_for_Boys

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 5, 2013

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

mds2 posted:

whats up with the shoe?

One dress shoe, one nike shoe. Apparently because of a swollen and infected foot.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Hi guys, I went on a dinosaur hunting trip recently, and on the way there we took a look at a coal mine!

Here's a dead deer demonstrating what a coal seam looks like on the surface.

The deer was probably roadkill.

And here is the coal in the mine. Open pits are sure interesting! (and destructive)

It takes ten feet of ancient swamp to produce one foot of coal.

e. here's a better picture of the mine. On the right are the coal seams they're mining. In the middle you can see ponds of collected rainwater at the bottom. This was taken in Wyoming and the coal there is relatively 'clean' (ie low/no sulfur) so you can see plants growing in the ponds. On the left the pit is being filled back in with stuff from the spoil pile.

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 5, 2013

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

mds2 posted:

whats up with the shoe?

He was out shooting hoops with his bros but then remembered he was supposed to attend some diplomacy thang and lost his other dress shoe in the locker room and had to improvise.

my new dog posted:

One dress shoe, one nike shoe. Apparently because of a swollen and infected foot.
Pfff, yea, and he's also going to get rid of all the foreign debt Icelanders hold and fix the economy like he said before the election. :allears:

IT CAME FROM IMGUR

IT CAME FROM MY FACEBOOK FEED

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Charles Dosza, the Hungry Hungarian, being arrested for upwards of the 50th time for refusing to pay for a meal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdF7VgZNdG4

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

So one of my really good friends does awareness outreach and charity work for the families of these victims. One problem with this situation is that authorities are doing literally nothing to stop it so there is very little information on who is doing it. There's plenty of local conjecture and theories but it's pretty widely accepted, by people that want this to stop, that the bus drivers are in on it if not directly involved. The drivers usually are the last known person to see these women alive. Also it's most likely multiple people and groups of people doing it for a multitude of reasons. One thing that is known is that if you want to rape and murder women you are absolutely free to do it in Ciudad Juarez.

http://www.justiciaparanuestrashijas.org/?3e3ea140

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

quote:

French polynisan soldier of The Troupes de marine, formerly known as the Troupes coloniales

France are you even trying

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bill and George's excellent annual lunch in Maine.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

IT CAME FROM IMGUR

Is this supposed to be bad because people showing sympathy for a guy who was fired because of probable bigotry...

Trench_Rat posted:

France are you even trying

The Rock?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Plutonis posted:

Is this supposed to be bad because people showing sympathy for a guy who was fired because of probable bigotry...

That meme is called good guy greg where the man represents someone who always does the right thing, in this case standing up against prejudice.

REDDIT PALATE CLEANSER.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Dying for Palpatine's spice mine profits.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Senators voting Wednesday to authorize a Syria strike received, on average, 83 percent more campaign financing from defense contractors than lawmakers voting against war."

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Plutonis posted:

No, Plutonis, most people would find that "Good" because they would be glad to see that even though he lost his job, his former co-workers cared enough about him to protest his unwarranted dismissal.

Those are the top comments for that pic, although I wonder if you'd rather have seen the ones that were downvoted, as some of them are certainly something else...
(That last link is a gif saying: "I don't believe you".)

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Can we maybe try to stop posting every image that pops up on the front page of imgur?

You should all check out Occuprint. Pretty cool stuff.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

JoelJoel posted:

Can we maybe try to stop posting every image that pops up on the front page of imgur?

Where are we supposed to get semi-topical political images if not imgur?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Volcott posted:

Where are we supposed to get semi-topical political images if not imgur?

Screnshots of stormfront or chimpout posts if you want the same content. Then again, I'm glad to see a bunch of sexist nonces destroy another not terrible thing on the internet.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Graffiti on a New Orleans monument that commemorates armed white supremacists who attempted to seize the state government in 1874. Heritage not hate. :911:

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 6, 2013

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

This is great. - I posted this earlier, but again, related and a worthy watch: http://billmoyers.com/episode/full-show-mark-leibovich-on-americas-gilded-capital/

here's a photo

Pfc. Sarina Butcher, 19, of Checotah, Oklahoma. The U.S. Department of Defense announced on November 2, 2011 that Butcher and 26-year-old Spc. Christopher Gailey of Ochelata died when their vehicle was attacked with an improvised explosive device in Paktia province, Afghanistan. (AP Photo/Oklahoma National Guard)

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Mister Bates posted:

As far as I know, there hasn't been a third-party presidential candidate that managed to get on the ballot in every state in the country since the 1930s, and a lot of them literally cannot possibly win because they don't have access to at least 270 electoral votes (the minimum amount required to win the presidency). Even if you want to make a political statement by voting for a candidate you know will lose, how exactly are you supposed to do that when they don't even appear on the ballot, and your state of residence doesn't allow write-ins?

Ross Perot was on the ballot in every state in 1992, and managed to get 18,9 % of the national popular vote, netting him a sweet zero electoral colleges.

Thanks for helping defeat Bush Senior, I guess.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I wish there were more old rich white guys who would run for president, instead of just supporting the republicans.

Also ran for president and received 0 electoral college votes in 1992.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

ekuNNN posted:

"Senators voting Wednesday to authorize a Syria strike received, on average, 83 percent more campaign financing from defense contractors than lawmakers voting against war."

"And the winner(!), for the most campaign financing from defense contractors, is..."

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 18, 2014

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Tzen posted:

This is great. - I posted this earlier, but again, related and a worthy watch: http://billmoyers.com/episode/full-show-mark-leibovich-on-americas-gilded-capital/

here's a photo

Pfc. Sarina Butcher, 19, of Checotah, Oklahoma. The U.S. Department of Defense announced on November 2, 2011 that Butcher and 26-year-old Spc. Christopher Gailey of Ochelata died when their vehicle was attacked with an improvised explosive device in Paktia province, Afghanistan. (AP Photo/Oklahoma National Guard)

Oh my god, I went to high school with her. :smith: She was a few grades below me and I think we only ever had one class together, but it's a small school, you kinda end up knowing everyone by default.

Man, gently caress war.

Cheer me up, Charlie.
http://youtu.be/WibmcsEGLKo

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Mister Bates posted:

For content, have some Woody Guthrie, one of the few unambiguously good things to come out of my home state.

http://youtu.be/G4YKUJZI5Bg
http://youtu.be/8q_jDK-TcYk

The poet Lauren Zuniga is another lovely artist to come from/live in Oklahoma. She was nominated as Oklahoma's poet laureate this year, but there's no way in hell that Mary Fallin was going to appoint a progressive queer poet instead of the kind of bland "cowboy poets" who get the gig year after year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T481DY9qcuY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Mister Bates posted:

Oh my god, I went to high school with her. :smith: She was a few grades below me and I think we only ever had one class together, but it's a small school, you kinda end up knowing everyone by default.

Man, gently caress war.

Cheer me up, Charlie.
http://youtu.be/WibmcsEGLKo

Time to drag this classic out again;

(Sorry, mate.)

• Locked thread