Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

krushgroove posted:

I think all the racing engines you can get for large scale are Zenoah clones, so you should be fine with that engine.
This is pretty well correct, but as of late the different clone companies (king motors, rovan, etc.) have put out some cracked out stuff not compatible with Zenoah or CY bits. The two basic companies you want to stick with for large scale engines are Zenoah and Chung Yang (CY). I'm frankly a little bummed that HPI went the cheaper route of dropping CY for a non-branded engine in the 2013 Bajas. Zenoah engines have the best casting work, and best chrome plating out of any of the engines available. 4 bolt options are the best! Also do yourself a favor and get a genuine walbro carb. WT-668 or WT-990 will make life better. We ship to the UK all the time (but you need to deal with duties/customs). We have a lot of dealers in the UK I can steer you towards if you want to keep it domestic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is pretty well correct, but as of late the different clone companies (king motors, rovan, etc.) have put out some cracked out stuff not compatible with Zenoah or CY bits. The two basic companies you want to stick with for large scale engines are Zenoah and Chung Yang (CY). I'm frankly a little bummed that HPI went the cheaper route of dropping CY for a non-branded engine in the 2013 Bajas. Zenoah engines have the best casting work, and best chrome plating out of any of the engines available. 4 bolt options are the best! Also do yourself a favor and get a genuine walbro carb. WT-668 or WT-990 will make life better. We ship to the UK all the time (but you need to deal with duties/customs). We have a lot of dealers in the UK I can steer you towards if you want to keep it domestic.

The engine I bought comes with a WT-990 :D

What I do need is servos...any recommendations?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Off hand I don't know which size your ride uses; but I'm fairly sure it's not 1/4 size like savox 0235/0236 or hitec 5805. You'll want to get the HS-5765MH servos. They're lipo compatible. I sell more of those than anything else.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Here's a few pics from a couple weeks ago I finally got around to uploading.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
Awesome pictures man, that carpet track looks like fun.

ColonelJohnMatrix: dam you for your facebook scaler club with those monster trucks. Now i'm hunting everywhere for a Tamiya juggernaut 2!

That said, have you seen these for scale monster truck car crushing fun? http://www.ebay.com/itm/290711803350?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Those are awesome shots! Did you take them?

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

TremorX posted:

Those are awesome shots! Did you take them?

Yup.

Its a parking lot track :)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

HoWSeR posted:

Awesome pictures man, that carpet track looks like fun.

ColonelJohnMatrix: dam you for your facebook scaler club with those monster trucks. Now i'm hunting everywhere for a Tamiya juggernaut 2!

That said, have you seen these for scale monster truck car crushing fun? http://www.ebay.com/itm/290711803350?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Ha, yeah I just picked up a Tamiya Super Clodbuster to race in our "retro monster truck" class. I'm in the process of waiting for new wheels and repainting the body so I don't have pics yet. One of our guys has an original Juggernaut 2 that he is racing in the class. It's a beauty.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Ha, yeah I just picked up a Tamiya Super Clodbuster to race in our "retro monster truck" class. I'm in the process of waiting for new wheels and repainting the body so I don't have pics yet. One of our guys has an original Juggernaut 2 that he is racing in the class. It's a beauty.

hoping i can lay my hands on one, looks like a great old school monster truck. if I don't, I might get the new txt-2, but it looks more like a modern monster truck. :(

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Just the fact you even HAVE a retro monster truck class tells us your area has a shitload of RC action. Fantastic :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Had a poo poo night of on road racing last night. Had a motor die during warm up/practice (I guess the Mk2 Reedy brushless motors are dodgy), missed the start of my race, managed to get up to 4th place, and while passing the slower third place car he plowed into me twice, smashing my front bumper mount. oval office.

Ah well, looks like my backup motor is still good, need to find out from Reedy whether they'll replace the original motor.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
ColonelJohnMatrix: did you get your Termyte Chassis used? Think I might bite the bullet and get one anyways. No pulling clubs here, but I can always try and start one. :xd:

on that note I think the scale rc bug has gotten to me more lately, seem to have a lot more scalers than race now.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

HoWSeR posted:

hoping i can lay my hands on one, looks like a great old school monster truck. if I don't, I might get the new txt-2, but it looks more like a modern monster truck. :(

The TXT-2 was supposed to be based on BIGFOOT #18. I saw the prototype pics and it looked killer. They got cold feet at the last minute....and then released it anyways with a different name and those ugly tires.

As for the Termyte, mine was pre-owned but never used. The chassis was also upgraded to carbon fiber over aluminum. It saves chassis weight so now I can put more weight up front where it needs it. It's balanced perfectly. Here's the deal with r/c pulling - it's a very pricey vehicle that can only do 1 thing well, and at only about 8 seconds at that....but it's a REALLY fun 8 seconds if you are into it. If you get a hold of Termyte, tell them Doug from Show-Me Scalers referred you to them and hopefully they cut you a bit of a deal. Jason (owner of Termyte) does fantastic work and builds indestructible trucks.

Here's a shot of my original SCX10 in full blown pulling config. It pulls great. Both of my pullers make their competition debut in 3 weeks at another clubs event. I hope to have my retro Clod done for that as well.

Speaking of retro monsters, here is a buddy of mine's Bearfoot. This thing is a beauty! Most of the guys involved in this around here are somehow involved with real monsters. I'm excited everyone wants to do it finally because I've been wanting to have a reason to build a stock clod forever. They look so cool hitting stacks of cars or pulling the sled. Part of the fun is actually getting to build and run a "shelf queen".

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

It's really rare these days for me to go 'oh, that's an RC car/truck', but this was definitely one of those times. What a great picture.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

The TXT-2 was supposed to be based on BIGFOOT #18. I saw the prototype pics and it looked killer. They got cold feet at the last minute....and then released it anyways with a different name and those ugly tires.

As for the Termyte, mine was pre-owned but never used. The chassis was also upgraded to carbon fiber over aluminum. It saves chassis weight so now I can put more weight up front where it needs it. It's balanced perfectly. Here's the deal with r/c pulling - it's a very pricey vehicle that can only do 1 thing well, and at only about 8 seconds at that....but it's a REALLY fun 8 seconds if you are into it. If you get a hold of Termyte, tell them Doug from Show-Me Scalers referred you to them and hopefully they cut you a bit of a deal. Jason (owner of Termyte) does fantastic work and builds indestructible trucks.

Here's a shot of my original SCX10 in full blown pulling config. It pulls great. Both of my pullers make their competition debut in 3 weeks at another clubs event. I hope to have my retro Clod done for that as well.

Speaking of retro monsters, here is a buddy of mine's Bearfoot. This thing is a beauty! Most of the guys involved in this around here are somehow involved with real monsters. I'm excited everyone wants to do it finally because I've been wanting to have a reason to build a stock clod forever. They look so cool hitting stacks of cars or pulling the sled. Part of the fun is actually getting to build and run a "shelf queen".

Haha yeah, I just got off the phone with him, awesome guy. Asked a quote for a 2wd pro like yours with a clod body. I did mention your name :)

The hardest part for me is he does not like to use pay-pal (some arsehole scammed him out of a truck this way). Trying to figure out how to pay him. Money orders , personal checks and credit unions are hard to get here in Qatar.

I figured that txt-2 was a bigfoot, sucks that they backed out, they could have sold more too!

Holy poo poo! Bearfoot! Haw back when I was a kit watching monster trucks I used to hate Bearfoot cause I thought he was copying Bigfoot, Bigfoot was my favorite truck :D

HoWSeR fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 22, 2013

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

HoWSeR posted:

Haha yeah, I just got off the phone with him, awesome guy. Asked a quote for a 2wd pro like yours with a clod body. I did mention your name :)

The hardest part for me is he does not like to use pay-pal (some arsehole scammed him out of a truck this way). Trying to figure out how to pay him. Money orders , personal checks and credit unions are hard to get here in Qatar.

I figured that txt-2 was a bigfoot, sucks that they backed out, they could have sold more too!

Holy poo poo! Bearfoot! Haw back when I was a kit watching monster trucks I used to hate Bearfoot cause I thought he was copying Bigfoot, Bigfoot was my favorite truck :D

Dude....the reason I went with a used truck was because he doesn't accept paypal! I had all my options picked out and was ready to buy new, but then he said he has no way to accept paypal or credit card over the phone. I apologized and said I would have to just go with the used one because basically paypal is my "fun money". Jason is a great guy, but he really needs to get paypal setup. It makes it difficult for the customer and I know from talking to several other pullers that it hurts his business.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sorry for the back-to-back post, but I just applied to Big Squid RC to be their "scale r/c" columnist. They are looking for someone and I've actually met a couple of their guys at an event as they are based out of St. Louis. It would be nice to make a few extra $$ on the side as a part time contributor.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Sorry for the back-to-back post, but I just applied to Big Squid RC to be their "scale r/c" columnist. They are looking for someone and I've actually met a couple of their guys at an event as they are based out of St. Louis. It would be nice to make a few extra $$ on the side as a part time contributor.

good luck!

I got the txt-2 after, have to hunt down some clod tires, maybe change to a Tamiya F150 body. Still waiting on a quote for a 2wd mod from Jason, if and when I manage to get one, ill need to buy or build a sled. Might try and see if i can start a pulling club here. Once that's all done and i get a good taste of it, i'll be tempted on one of his 4wd chassis, they look dead sexy with those tamiya F150 bodies.

Content!

This was the most fun build yet! think I might go with a pro-line bronco body, not really a jeep fan.

I'm crazy for paying so much money on axles, but god dam, look at em!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Great looking truck. Those axles are wildly expensive but so drat sweet. I love how they have an actual drain plug. One of our guys has a completely Vanquished out Wraith and I think it's worth something like 1500 in parts.

As for the pulling stuff, the best sled is the old Hobbico Eliminator. They still show up on ebay/forums and are definitely the way to go if you can get one.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Great looking truck. Those axles are wildly expensive but so drat sweet. I love how they have an actual drain plug. One of our guys has a completely Vanquished out Wraith and I think it's worth something like 1500 in parts.

As for the pulling stuff, the best sled is the old Hobbico Eliminator. They still show up on ebay/forums and are definitely the way to go if you can get one.

no luck yet for a Eliminator, though I have notice these guys.

http://www.teammagicracing.com/page/page/3951643.htm

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

HoWSeR posted:

no luck yet for a Eliminator, though I have notice these guys.

http://www.teammagicracing.com/page/page/3951643.htm

I've heard mixed things about those sleds, but will no for sure in about a month as we will use one that a guy is bringing to a pull. The main knock against them is that instead of a chain drive to work the weight box it uses a big string that just wraps around the axle. If you go with one, definitely go with the heavy duty one. That price isn't bad considering you get a custom built & painted sled.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

I've heard mixed things about those sleds, but will no for sure in about a month as we will use one that a guy is bringing to a pull. The main knock against them is that instead of a chain drive to work the weight box it uses a big string that just wraps around the axle. If you go with one, definitely go with the heavy duty one. That price isn't bad considering you get a custom built & painted sled.

closest one i could find next to it are these guys. They use a chain drive, I wont be buying a sled anytime soon, let me know how the pulling goes next month on the challenger. Till then ill keep my eyes open for a Hobbico Eliminator.

http://www.outlawhobbie.com/product_info.php/products_id/6695

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The Scrap Iron is supposed to be a good sled, but only if you are using purpose built pulling trucks or big monster trucks. The sled weighs 20 lbs, which is much heavier than the 10 lbs Eliminator. I know of a club that uses a scrap iron sled and they primarily use big modified monster trucks that weigh in at 15+ lbs.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Did well at the biggest local race of the year, the Hobby Haven Shootout. Ended up TQ'ing 1/8 electric buggy with a converted Tekno SCT410 into a 'EB48lw' (7.18lbs ready to run, battery/tires/body!). Also ended up 11th BQ in mod stadium truck and 10th in 2wd buggy. A serious storm with crazy winds and a ton of rain rolled through early Sunday morning and looked to put an early end to our weekend, but a couple bad mofo regulars at my track got the track in condition to race on in no time at all!

Ended up winning the B main in mod truck, finished 8th in the a main in mod buggy (after working my way up to 3rd and getting taken out :arghfist::( ), and finished 2nd after a hardfought race in 1/8 ebuggy, after leading the race till the two corners from the end. I lost my right rear outer hingepin around the 7min mark and the second place driver was able to reel me in, and capitalize on a mistake I (or the car... I'm blaming it on the car!) made on the second to the last corner on the final lap. It was a great race and a ton of fun, just a little bummed about the result!

Someone captured a few amazing action pics of my stuff over the weekend :). Wish they would have gotten some 1/8th pics!

needknees fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 3, 2013

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
awesome man looks great,nice troll face wing! how are your nitro engines doing?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Does anyone in the UK (or elsewhere who has deep pockets for postage) want a Kyosho DST? Complete, but doesn't run right.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I like R/C cars! Besides the Radio Shack / whatever ones they have always been a bit out of my reach but I love looking at them!

I have a question. I was looking in this kickass shop that's at least 50% radio controlled things and saw something interesting. It wasn't any of the really nice things displayed on walls or on shelves. It was in a cardboard box with a plastic window. The whole thing was about a hand length and it was a rock crawler apparently. Compared to some of the really good quality things I've seen elsewhere and on here it couldn't hold a candle to them but I thought it was neat. It seemed to have independent steering on the front and rear with servos that sat above the control arms, and looked to have front and rear U joint prop shafts going to something in the middle. Cold have been a TC, who knows. But what got me was how tiny it was.
What I want to know is where do you use such a thing? All I could think of is it'd be brilliant to mess up someone's Zen garden, but beyond that what do you do with a tiny rock crawler?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

General_Failure posted:

What I want to know is where do you use such a thing? All I could think of is it'd be brilliant to mess up someone's Zen garden, but beyond that what do you do with a tiny rock crawler?

Sounds like it's a 1/16th or around that size rock crawler. They're fun but because of the size, yeah they're not as versatile as a 1/10th scale rock crawler. I think the scale fanatics see them mainly as toys - set up a stack of books and it'll climb over them but it might not be anywhere near as good in real terrain outside.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah, a lot of guys use mini crawlers for small indoor or garden courses. They can be fun little trucks for messing around the house.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

krushgroove posted:

Sounds like it's a 1/16th or around that size rock crawler. They're fun but because of the size, yeah they're not as versatile as a 1/10th scale rock crawler. I think the scale fanatics see them mainly as toys - set up a stack of books and it'll climb over them but it might not be anywhere near as good in real terrain outside.

I use my 1/16 Slash mostly for crawling hiking trails. It does pretty well :v:

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
so if i wanted to get into the drift-car side of this, with the crazy modeling side of it you see, where would a US guy start? I want to be able to get real anal about my modeling but i would like a chassis that works well too.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

AcidRonin posted:

so if i wanted to get into the drift-car side of this, with the crazy modeling side of it you see, where would a US guy start? I want to be able to get real anal about my modeling but i would like a chassis that works well too.

lots of options around, depends on what you want to spend, chassis can range from 100 to 700 bucks. For starters if you are serious about the scale side of drifting, you NEED a CS (counter steer) drift chassis. If I had to sell everything I have for drifting I would get a MST MS-01D Pro. Already has cs and different ratio gets so once you get a feel of it you can make the CS more challenging. Its not the cheapest chassis, but a good one from the get go and never worry about it again.

driftmission has some good info regarding drift chassis as well as clubs.

here's one of my current drifters, a fully modded Sakura D3 with about 1.56 cs.

and here it is with the body on it, Yokomo HKS GT86 with my friends Tamiya VDF with lexus Body.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

So this followed me home from work yesterday:

The picture of it sitting on my counter doesn't quite do it justice. I am not usually one for buying things that are RTR but I can't justify the ~$3500 price tag of the competition kit that needs body/wheels/tires/engine to complete it. So for now I will settle for this. It is set up really nice out of the box though! 3 ch 2.4GHz computer radio, Hitec metal geared steering servo, Savox metal geared throttle servo. It is 4WD which is awesome - but definitely the "cool" factor of it all is the cable disc brakes mounted on the front hubs. Here are additional pictures (including a shot next to a Bundaberg Peachee for scale reference)

If anyone has any questions feel free to throw them my way :)

Attempting to post this from my phone. Hopefully it works. HoWsEr - your drift car looks amazing! Driftmission.com is the best online resource for drift cars, RC-art.net has some good stuff, and Demi-works.com will give you enough eye candy to motivate you. :)

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
I like both those a lot, that's loving tight. I really like it because the mod-ability is pretty awesome. Also roof racks on Rc cars :shobon:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

General_Failure posted:

I like R/C cars! Besides the Radio Shack / whatever ones they have always been a bit out of my reach but I love looking at them!

I have a question. I was looking in this kickass shop that's at least 50% radio controlled things and saw something interesting. It wasn't any of the really nice things displayed on walls or on shelves. It was in a cardboard box with a plastic window. The whole thing was about a hand length and it was a rock crawler apparently. Compared to some of the really good quality things I've seen elsewhere and on here it couldn't hold a candle to them but I thought it was neat. It seemed to have independent steering on the front and rear with servos that sat above the control arms, and looked to have front and rear U joint prop shafts going to something in the middle. Cold have been a TC, who knows. But what got me was how tiny it was.
I have a Yokomo NanoQlo, which is about as small as I've ever seen one. It's awesome desktop fun.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I like the 3 Racing Sakura from the point of view that they copied a lot of Tamiya's TRF 415/416 chassis parts, so I can get cheaper parts for my 415 by using 3 Racing instead of Tamiya :)

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
What's the cheapest RC helicopter I can buy that has true 3-axis controls? (collective, cyclic and anti-torque)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Polymerized Cum posted:

What's the cheapest RC helicopter I can buy that has true 3-axis controls? (collective, cyclic and anti-torque)

Check out this thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386779

But to answer your question the cheapest (and not garbage) would be something like the Blake mCPX $100 with transmitter and everything needed to fly - http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/blade-mcp-x-v2-rtf-BLH3600

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Ok, so one night of research and beer later (while watching football, gently caress you Peyton manning and your TD pass record tie-ing rear end) and i have some questions. What do you mean by CS?? I see that their are two setup forums on drift mission but nobody else seems to use that term, of course i could just be an idiot :hurr:. Also, a lot of these websites selling these products use broken English/paypall only, which are kinda red flags to me. I might just be being stupid since this is a pretty Asia-centric hobby but is their a good reputable store that ships to the US you would recommend?

Polymerized Cum posted:

just promise us you'll be careful with it :stonk: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568874

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Holy crap that thing looks good. Are those magnetic body mount posts? And if they are holy crap I wish those were a thing when I was painting cars and crying about drilling holes and ruining my 'pretty' bodies.

Wow that's a big car, I've been tempted to buy something like that but where the heck can you even run those? I'm used to bashing trucks/buggies around the yard or driving cars around the driveway or maybe taking them to a big parking lot for high speed runs. I'd guess you need a local track or something to really play with those things. Either way awesome.