Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The turbo PT Cruiser convertible isn't the worst car on the road. I rented one once; at least it was better than the Sebring option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Speaking of manuals vs automatics, I was at a local car show last weekend and goddamn if there weren't a ton of automatics there. Is this just an old man thing, that these guys prefer to have an automatic? My Studebaker has an automatic but I want to swap the transmission as soon as I can. Manuals are just a hell of a lot more fun. I've actually been a bit surprised at how many old automatic cars you see around, even back to the 50s.

They also seem to like putting modern seats into the cars, which I'm also assuming is an old man thing.

I think it's just that most cars made in the 60s were autos, unless it was an AI type car like a Corvette (which you still could get with an auto, for those with ~delicate tastes~). How many stickshift 5th gen Camaros do you see? Probably about the same ratio that people bought back then too.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

PCOS Bill posted:

The turbo PT Cruiser convertible isn't the worst car on the road. I rented one once; at least it was better than the Sebring option.

It also has the added benefit that filters designed for these will easily work on my B2x5s. However, that is basically all I can say for it.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Negromancer posted:

not meant for this thread at all, but all the c70 talk and I just got linked to this video earlier today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD-nre2Y54Y

Insanely fast c70

*edit* is that a rs2 wagon at the end?

Looks like a S6+. Rare car with a 4,2 V8.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Negromancer posted:

Insanely fast c70

*edit* is that a rs2 wagon at the end?

Holy poo poo..

Looks like a C4 A6/S6.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

The PT Cruiser must be one of the least reliable cars ever produced. I see them constantly on the side of the road broken down, usually abandoned. I cannot think of a single other car that I see more often there. One night on my drive home, I counted three in the span of 10 miles broken down. I would not touch one of those with a 10 ft pole.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Stealth Like posted:

The PT Cruiser must be one of the least reliable cars ever produced. I see them constantly on the side of the road broken down, usually abandoned. I cannot think of a single other car that I see more often there. One night on my drive home, I counted three in the span of 10 miles broken down. I would not touch one of those with a 10 ft pole.

3 in a 10 mile stretch?

Do we have a Dr Seuss thread?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Most PT Cruiser convertibles I see are driven by retired people who live down the shore.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

MrChips posted:

Steer her into a Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet. Don't do this. At least it won't be a terrible car to begin with, just moderately bad. Seriously, don't do this.

Yeah, get a $55,000 bad idea instead of a $4000 Bad idea.

Steamos
Jul 22, 2011

Over 100 cars involved in a crash that lasted over 10 minutes... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23971322

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Are the cars on the back of that transporter counted in the tally?

Must be a good time to own a bodywork repair shop in Kent.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Steamos posted:

Over 100 cars involved in a crash that lasted over 10 minutes... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23971322

Because people didn't slow down in the heavy fog. I was on the M25 motorway at that time this morning in the fog. Miraculously didn't crash because i slowed the gently caress down, put my fog lights on and paid attention.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Stealth Like posted:

I don't think that's so far as a fault of the car so much as it is the fault of the owners as PT Cruisers are typically owned by people who have no idea what's going on in that engine thing

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Just saw this pop up on the primary s2000 fan page on Facebook. Apparently it's a pair of future s2000 concepts.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
In this thread, we've seen hellaflush, stanced civics with stretched tires and duckbills. Here's one in Toronto:

Apparently stupidity will get you a handicap placard.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Too bad I don't have the cash - this would rock driving around as-is, wearing nothing but a leather posing pouch and a face-colander.

(Well, as-is with lights and plates, I guess. I'm sure Washington State will have other funkills on the books somewhere - I once had some JiffyLube dude tell me that it was illegal for me to drive my van around without the engine cover in place.)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Steamos posted:

That is an amazing amount of stupid people in 1 spot. Who gets to pay for it, the poor sod at the very tail end?

Steamos
Jul 22, 2011

Mooseykins posted:

Because people didn't slow down in the heavy fog. I was on the M25 motorway at that time this morning in the fog. Miraculously didn't crash because i slowed the gently caress down, put my fog lights on and paid attention.

Agreed, travelling on the A1 to work every morning is pretty much just a bumble gently caress of people cutting you up and driving so close you can read the number of the person they're on the phone to.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Octopus Magic posted:

I don't think that's so far as a fault of the car so much as it is the fault of the owners as PT Cruisers are typically owned by people who have no idea what's going on in that engine thing

Except that you don't see civics accords and corollas etc littering the sides of the streets like you do PT Cruisers. I doubt the average owner of those cars knows any better about what's going on with their car.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Paul Boz_ posted:

Just saw this pop up on the primary s2000 fan page on Facebook. Apparently it's a pair of future s2000 concepts.

That's a pretty nice Pontiac Solstice.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Super Aggro Crag posted:

That Saturn Sky isn't all that bad, either..

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Super Aggro Crag posted:

It's like the derpy love child of a 3rd gen Miata and the Solstice. I hope they make it (so my AP2 appreciates in value).

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

West SAAB Story posted:

That Saturn Sky isn't all that bad, either..

That S2000 concept is horrible, but I saw a Sky a couple of days ago and I'm always blown away by them. I don't really care for the Soltice but the Sky is a phenomenal looking thing.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I agree. The nostrils just look completely out of place and stupid on the Solstice. However, I did catch myself admiring a Redline Sky the other day.

The Sonett would have been even more awesome.

This is very, very similar to later leaked documents that it was actually in pre-production.

:sigh:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Speaking of manuals vs automatics, I was at a local car show last weekend and goddamn if there weren't a ton of automatics there. Is this just an old man thing, that these guys prefer to have an automatic? My Studebaker has an automatic but I want to swap the transmission as soon as I can. Manuals are just a hell of a lot more fun. I've actually been a bit surprised at how many old automatic cars you see around, even back to the 50s.

They also seem to like putting modern seats into the cars, which I'm also assuming is an old man thing.

50s and 60s consumers loved their gimmicky automatics.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
No photos but yesterday I saw two PTs within a minute. One was bright orange, and the other was on a vacant piece of land with a for sale sign on it. It was silver with what looked like it may have been a big silver eagle kind of wrapped around it. If I recall it was VIC reg "TINTOY". I wonder if it's listed on Gumtree or eBay.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Automatics, if built properly, are much better for a high horsepower car; at least from a drag racing standpoint. But for everyday driving I still think manuals are much more fun and you get a better feel for the car as a whole. The modern interior thing is really popular in the hot rod community because when was the last time you saw a bench seat from the 40's with factory heating and power adjustments? Though not period-correct, it's still a pretty popular thing.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

PT Cruiser wanting wife dude here. She actually can drive a standard, but I don't feel like buying a 90,000 mile car needing the clutch replaced asap. She actually does like the Solara (although she does like an RX-8 she saw, and I drive Mazdas, so maybe??? At least then we'd have a Wankel in the family). Who knows. All I know is I can't have a PT Cruiser in my driveway.

The Prowler idea, while GREAT, doesn't work - we can't have 2 seats. Hopefully she comes to her senses and lets me go with the ever practical Toyota. On the other hand, I could make that Cruiser the coolest thing on the block.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
My wife and I have adapted the classic Slugbug game (where you see a VW Beetle and punch your friends/siblings/spouse) to PT Cruisers. Extra punches for flames/chrome/convertibles. 3 punches if you call an HHR a PT.
This is the only good thing about the PT Loser.

edit: -S-, you never answered- has she driven one yet?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The PT Cruiser Turbo shares the same turbocharged 2.4 as the SRT-4. And while almost every SRT-4 is prone to being abused and trashed, the 2.4s can be built to a healthy 5-600 horsepower when done correctly. Now just imagine a 600 horsepower PT Cruiser. That would be the best troll car ever.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Paul Boz_ posted:

Why am I reminded of this gentleman?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Devyl posted:

The PT Cruiser Turbo shares the same turbocharged 2.4 as the SRT-4. And while almost every SRT-4 is prone to being abused and trashed, the 2.4s can be built to a healthy 5-600 horsepower when done correctly. Now just imagine a 600 horsepower PT Cruiser. That would be the best troll car ever.

You're starting with a more difficult base than a Neon. Because of the retarded engine bay, a different intake manifold had to be fitted, which choked the 230 hp down to the neighborhood of 215. So you're already setting off on the wrong foot with a PT. I agree though, excellent troll car.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

West SAAB Story posted:

I agree. The nostrils just look completely out of place and stupid on the Solstice. However, I did catch myself admiring a Redline Sky the other day.

The Sonett would have been even more awesome.

This is very, very similar to later leaked documents that it was actually in pre-production.

:sigh:

Maserati, specifically their legal department, may have been a bit interested in these.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Make sure you get one that's been totaled by hail.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Devyl posted:

There was actually an engineer who worked on ABS systems that would frequently visit the nurburgring. He had a turbo PT Cruiser with michigan plates and apparently would spend his laps trolling all zee germans on the track. A friend of mine once rode w/ him and said it was utterly hilarious/fun.

jaken97
Aug 1, 2013

Hell Gem
I do believe this belongs here

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Octopus Magic posted:

Show her this.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Stealth Like posted:

My parents had a PT Cruiser and holy hell did it have problems. The A/C didn't work right from day one, the chrome wheels sort of dissolved, the interior peeled off and countless other things. They had to get numerous major repairs done within the first few years, I believe the entire front suspension had to be replaced for some reason when it was maybe two years old. But hey, as a kid it was cool to ride in a different dealership loaner car every week. :v:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
If we're doing anecdotal evidence that PT cruisers are awful, I was driving next to one a while back and part of the wing mirror fell off it as I went past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

AirRaid posted:

If we're doing anecdotal evidence that PT cruisers are awful, I was driving next to one a while back and part of the wing mirror fell off it as I went past.

My friend's wife, who works as customer service at a repair shop, recently picked one up from the shop owner with a life long full history of maintenance. I believe the engine poo poo the bed within 2 weeks of them getting it. I felt bad because they don't have much money and have 3 kids, but at the same time, she should have known better right? She's worked in the industry long enough to not be ignorant (or so I thought, literally wondering why they bought it when I found out, pre-destruction).

I've never really looked into them because of how ugly they are, but I've never heard good things about their reliability. Is the engine one of those things?

Edit: content.

Wish I could find a bigger one of this:

We should probably make a thread for these.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 6, 2013