Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Go home eagle, you're drunk. Seriously though, nice colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Crosspostin'

First finished mini in months

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Probably close to 20 hours on this and still not done. Hope to finish the left arm and shield soon and than I have to wait on the head from Chapterhouse.

Unfortunately a phone camera can not pick out the details and all the drat highlights I did. When it's fully done, I will get a real picture done in a lightbox.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Khorne Flakes posted:

Probably close to 20 hours on this and still not done. Hope to finish the left arm and shield soon and than I have to wait on the head from Chapterhouse.

Unfortunately a phone camera can not pick out the details and all the drat highlights I did. When it's fully done, I will get a real picture done in a lightbox.

20 hours well spent, it looks awesome! Do you have more units in this color scheme?

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just bought a Grey Knight squad and a Grey Knight Brotherhood Champion; I've never painted anything besides High Elves and IG, any tips for my GK? I like the models and I wouldn't want to make a mistake painting them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

radlum posted:

I just bought a Grey Knight squad and a Grey Knight Brotherhood Champion; I've never painted anything besides High Elves and IG, any tips for my GK? I like the models and I wouldn't want to make a mistake painting them.

Be distinctive. Try out a deep red with brass trim or perhaps a light pink with purple. I'm tired of seeing yawwwn silver GKs.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Are Reaper models really 25mm or do they scale well with Warhammer's 28mm size? They have some cool looking models I'd like to use in some Mordheim games but if they are noticeably smaller that would be a bummer.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Direwolf posted:

20 hours well spent, it looks awesome! Do you have more units in this color scheme?

No, I've found I get burnt out if I repeat the same color over and over for an army. So for my Tau, I have like three or four different patterns I've used to keep painting them fresh for myself and it works in the sense I just say they are in different Caste's. My ground troops are brown and dark red for fire castes, suits are all in green for earth, probably going to use this blue pattern for my heavy vehicles for water caste.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

BadLlama posted:

Are Reaper models really 25mm or do they scale well with Warhammer's 28mm size? They have some cool looking models I'd like to use in some Mordheim games but if they are noticeably smaller that would be a bummer.

They are pretty variable, to be honest. Most of them would fit reasonably well in terms of size, but their proportions are a lot more realistic, lacking the typically-GW giant hands and heads.

For a vague size comparison, this guy is on a 25mm base.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

They are pretty variable, to be honest.

Yeah, going by their pictures alone they seem to vary quite drastically between the models. I think Orcs and things like that would work well but a lot of the humans seem small. I got myself a warlock to see how they compare and if he turns out to be all tiny then that perfectly fine with me considering hes a tiny mage or what have you.

Are there any other fantasy type models around 28mm from other companies that I can look through? Just trying to really add variety to my little band of dudes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If I get round to it, I'll post some size comparisons at the weekend if people are interested enough. I don't have masses of GW minis, but I have enough to compare against the Bones.

On a related note, someone over in the Reaper thread just posted this link http://www.abarothsworld.com/tips.htm and it is really loving cool, particularly the treasures and trinkets section.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Any ideas on how to paint (or rather shade) white powered armor (Infinity style, not 40k-style)? Should I shade it towards black, grey, blue, or what?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Pierzak posted:

Any ideas on how to paint (or rather shade) white powered armor (Infinity style, not 40k-style)? Should I shade it towards black, grey, blue, or what?

Paint it very light grey, shade with darker grey, and highlight with white.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I painted my first Space Marine.

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm going to post this up here just in case I don't get approved in time for me to make the Speed Painting cutoff. If I need to retake any of these pictures (my monitor makes getting good pictures of the time-stamp thing a huge pain in the rear end) let me know and I'll get on that ASAP.

Oath Complete!

Bonus Points:

-Aww, it's a baby!

-Backstory

Cixtus Onomaeous, chapter master of the Sundered Shackles, is a free spirit. Perhaps too free. In fact, his spirit has so much freedom the venerable space marine and his equally-free brethren broke off from the Imperium. Disagreements with the higher-ups and dislike of fellow co-workers just made the workplace too awkward for him, so he put in his two weeks and hosed off into deep space. Though he and his crew bring dishonor to themselves in the eyes of the other chapters, they do not fall to chaos, doing battle with the fowl forces of evil when not on the run from their previous, somewhat less evil, companions.

-Fly Your Flag

-In battle!

Could this be the end of Cixtus Onomaeous?

-Strike a Pose

Pictured: Cixtus about to ruin a boastful Pysker's day.

-Speed Painting!

-Parts List

-Krylon Gray Primer
-Citadel Paints:
Boltgun, Chainmail, Abaddon Black,
Mechrite Red, Blood Red, Dwarf Bronze,
Badab Black (Wash), Bleached Bone, Ceramite White,
Snot Green, Elf Flesh, Scorched Brown

-Cheap Exacto Knife
-Three cheap paintbrushes I don't know the proper terms for
-Gorilla Glue
-Black Micron Pen
-Paper Towels
-Water Dish Things
-Computer for photoshop mockup/colortest/sweet jams

-Games Workshop Blood Angels legs, torso pieces, head
-Games Workshop Dark Angels big mace thing arm
-Games Workshop Space Marine backpack, storm bolter arm, flag
-Maxmini shoulderpads
-some dirt and sprue pieces for the base

E: gently caress, I was hoping I could get it done while it was still on the same page.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Be distinctive. Try out a deep red with brass trim or perhaps a light pink with purple. I'm tired of seeing yawwwn silver GKs.
Agreed! Just swapping the red for another color and adding a neat basing scheme can make your boring silver army something really cool and unique. Instead of red what about navy blue, forest green, or regal purple? For basing how about an ice world, magma, or jungle? After you've decided those two, what color power weapon do you want to compliment the model? There's infinite awesome unique options to make your minis stand out, don't just go with what's in the book or you wind up with a worse-painted version of something everyone's already seen a million times.

So I'm not just giving my standard hate talk on Codex schemes, here's my latest touched-up Catachan.

Some of these were the first Catachan models I ever painted - feels good to tidy them up a bit.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
For those of you who do sci-fi or modern terrain, do you have any suggestions on where I can get something that passes as lengths of metal scaffolding? I'd need maybe 16-20" worth.

I am specifically referring to long lengths like this:
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-26614276/stock-photo-details-of-theatrical-concert-exhibition-stage-lights.html

Edit: I am in the US.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Iris of Ether posted:

For those of you who do sci-fi or modern terrain, do you have any suggestions on where I can get something that passes as lengths of metal scaffolding? I'd need maybe 16-20" worth.

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-26614276/stock-photo-details-of-theatrical-concert-exhibition-stage-lights.html

Evergreen or Plasticard. HobbyTown USA stores have stuff like that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Iris of Ether posted:

If it was me I'd use square brass tubes.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Iris of Ether posted:

Look for Plastruct ABS Trusses

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

BuffaloChicken posted:

Agreed! Just swapping the red for another color and adding a neat basing scheme can make your boring silver army something really cool and unique. Instead of red what about navy blue, forest green, or regal purple? For basing how about an ice world, magma, or jungle? After you've decided those two, what color power weapon do you want to compliment the model? There's infinite awesome unique options to make your minis stand out, don't just go with what's in the book or you wind up with a worse-painted version of something everyone's already seen a million times.

So I'm not just giving my standard hate talk on Codex schemes, here's my latest touched-up Catachan.

Some of these were the first Catachan models I ever painted - feels good to tidy them up a bit.

I am just going to say how amazing the colors, equipment, and mix of non-sexual genders works in this army.

And mention how great an old White Dwarf battle report was when Codex: Deathworld Catachans came out. I think it was played against an Eldar army and the way the Deathworld rules worked in a jungle environment to slowly piece apart the enemy army was magnificent; lots of booby traps and brutal ambushes won the day.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

dexefiend posted:

Look for Plastruct ABS Trusses

Fantastic, thanks!

JEEVES420 posted:

Evergreen or Plasticard. HobbyTown USA stores have stuff like that.

signalnoise posted:

If it was me I'd use square brass tubes.

Thank you as well. I'll bookmark these.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Iris of Ether posted:

I think some of the pegasus factory terrain sets might have something similar but don't know if there would be enough to suit your needs.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
I'm considering getting a jewelry cleaner for taking paint off my minis, and I was wondering how exactly I would use it? I've heard they get great results, but I'm not entirely clear on how it's supposed to be used.

Do I soak the minis in Simple Green before dropping them in the cleaner, or just throw them in dry?

Do I fill the cleaner with simple green and water? Straight water? That jewelry cleaning solution? Or something else?

Do I need to be careful about any specific kinds of minis (metal, finecast, etc) when using the cleaner on them?

Any advice you guys have would be appreciated.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hermetic posted:

I'm considering getting a jewelry cleaner for taking paint off my minis, and I was wondering how exactly I would use it? I've heard they get great results, but I'm not entirely clear on how it's supposed to be used.

Do I soak the minis in Simple Green before dropping them in the cleaner, or just throw them in dry?

Do I fill the cleaner with simple green and water? Straight water? That jewelry cleaning solution? Or something else?

Do I need to be careful about any specific kinds of minis (metal, finecast, etc) when using the cleaner on them?

Any advice you guys have would be appreciated.

Simple green sounds like a plan. It will help break down the paint a bit. Tell us how it works out.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I use the same solution I clean the model with. No ill effects on resin, plastic, or finecast to date. And I've done tons.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
Heya lads.

I got back into the hobby only recently, and had a crack at painting the flesh of an Ogre. Here are my results. Sorry for the lack of a lightbox. My primary goal for this hobby (into the foreseeable future) is to master painting all kinds of flesh.

A few things:
-I think the flash is giving a false impression of where the highlights are on the model. I really ought to set up a light box, and take pictures with something other that a mobile phone.
-I need a more thorough understanding of where I should be using shades.
-I should take more time with my final highlight. It was towards the end of my session, and I just wanted to get it done.
-Wounds on the flesh through the use of hobby knives and drills don't really seem to come out good. Pic 1's right shoulder is supposed to be a claw scar; pic twos hole above the left nipple is supposed to be a bullet scar.

The method I used was the clinics painting flesh part 1 method. Sometimes, I jumped to part 2.

Now, a few questions I have for you guys on painting and how to improve:
-When doing highlighted layers, what is a good rule for how many times you should paint over it? I have a problem with this part - I can get the base done properly, but doing highlighted layers and making things blend smoothly seems somewhat above my skill set. What are your rule of thumbs/advice for this?
-Where the shoulders meet the torso, I applied green stuff to blend it in. When I added my 1st shade to it, it seems awkward to have a shade in an area directly under the source light. What is your take on this?
-What mindset should I get myself in when painting?

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Bavius posted:

I use the same solution I clean the model with. No ill effects on resin, plastic, or finecast to date. And I've done tons.

So just fill the jewelry cleaner with simple green, dump in minis and turn it on?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
That'll get you some mileage, but I would soak them in simple green first. Rinse them after a day or so in water. Place in fresh simple green in the cleaner. The ultrasonic cleaner will shake away a good portion of the paint. I've had some models go from terrible paint job to completely clean but I've also had some with splotchy bits of primer still stubbornly clinging on.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Bavius posted:

That'll get you some mileage, but I would soak them in simple green first. Rinse them after a day or so in water. Place in fresh simple green in the cleaner. The ultrasonic cleaner will shake away a good portion of the paint. I've had some models go from terrible paint job to completely clean but I've also had some with splotchy bits of primer still stubbornly clinging on.

I've actually wondered about stripping minis for awhile. If you spray primer (GW or Army Painter brands) plastic minis, will Simple green take off the primer?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
It will. Also if you are in the UK where Simple Green is unavailable use Dettol ( or supermarkets own brand). Works brilliantly on plastic, resin and metal.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Daedleh posted:

I use these. They're dead good.

:siren: :siren: LUMBERING TROLL :siren: :siren:

You have MDF and a laser cutter. If you have not already thought about selling some of these kinds of things, make some of these kinds of things to sell!

There are places that sell them already but maybe you could think of more unique designs, or just beat them on price! I don't know, you seem to have a good eye for making all your buisness calculations, just don't let this opportunity slip past. Afterall, you only get one shot (at a kickstarter).

Being able to mount things on walls or even place sheets into a drawer to keep paints from rolling around would be great. Though there are many different pot designs around, there might be some way to happy-medium across a few lines.

On a side note I have thought about making a company that sells eyedroppers built into a cap, a cap that fits on GW pots. That would make a lot of money I think, but I don't know anyone in China. Oh well. Maybe one of you guys do.
If so I want half!:ninja:

edit: why is there no spellcheck at work?

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 6, 2013

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

:siren: :siren: LUMBERING TROLL :siren: :siren:

You have MDF and a laser cutter. If you have not already thought about selling some of these kinds of things, make some of these kinds of things to sell!

There are places that sell them already but maybe you could think of more unique designs, or just beat them on price!

I'd love to see more people using the Miniature Scenery bottle system. One shelf type, accomodates everything up to Tamiya-sized bottles.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Yep, its something I have been toying with. Ill show you guys some images once I have worked something out.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Serotonin posted:

It will. Also if you are in the UK where Simple Green is unavailable use Dettol ( or supermarkets own brand). Works brilliantly on plastic, resin and metal.

Personally I would say don't use dettol for stripping ever! Sure it works, but it loving stinks, leaves a horrible weird gunk on models and doesn't react well with water (causes the gunk).

Fairy power spray is so much easier to work with. It doesn't stink, doesn't leave the horrible residue and reacts with water perfectly fine. In fact I've found a few squirts and about 5% water added to the spray makes it even more effective. (I swear I don't work for Fairy, even though that sounded like an advert...)

Just my 2 pence!

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Moola posted:

Personally I would say don't use dettol for stripping ever! Sure it works, but it loving stinks, leaves a horrible weird gunk on models and doesn't react well with water (causes the gunk).

Fairy power spray is so much easier to work with. It doesn't stink, doesn't leave the horrible residue and reacts with water perfectly fine. In fact I've found a few squirts and about 5% water added to the spray makes it even more effective. (I swear I don't work for Fairy, even though that sounded like an advert...)

I used to use Simple green, but recently I swapped to Brake Fluid. couldn't be happier, and any gunk washes off with water easily. (It's also lightning quick, I can strip a mini in under an hour)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Akay posted:

I used to use Simple green, but recently I swapped to Brake Fluid. couldn't be happier, and any gunk washes off with water easily. (It's also lightning quick, I can strip a mini in under an hour)

Yeah, but disposing brake fluid is a pain because, unlike Dettol, Power Spray or Simple Green, you can't just tip it down the sink.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Moola posted:

Just my 2 pence!

Where can one buy this mythical substance? I am so ready to eschew the horrible smell and gunk of dettol.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
^ I bought a bottle from Tesco about 6 months ago. I assume they still stock it there.

Should be in the cleaning section of any supermarket. Green bottle with a red nozzle.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's fairly rare, supermarkets seem to rotate their stock of it. My game group put a call out when somewhere stocks it, and we descend on it and end up buying their entire stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
After reading about it I checked a bunch of local supermarkets, drugstores, Targets, etc. for Dawn Power Dissolver. No place had it, even the Family Dollar that's listed as the best shot for it.

I'll probably end up just ordering some from Amazon. :shepface:

e: Has anyone used both Dawn Power Dissolver and LA's Totally Awesome? How do they compare?

• Locked thread