Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Link to the Past had the greatest items. I didn't replay the game until the GBA release and it surprised me how many capes/wands/rods I missed in my initial play on the SNES.

And the 3D actually looks good (judging only on the video preview). It's like looking down on a shoebox and makes everything pop. I usually don't use the 3D settings because most games are action intense and there's really no point in the added depth but I'll probably play ALttP 2 with the 3D on permanently.

e: Although I'm a giant nerd and play Gameboy games with the Gameboy HUD and 3D on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Hey, just wanted to say there's a lot of retro shmups that are still cool and fun to play! Here's a couple of my recent ones:

1943: up to stage 14 so far.

Armed Police Batrider: stage 4 I still suck at this one...

Air Gallet: stage 4, I got this just tonight!

Also I got NES Life Force in the mail today and I haven't touched it in probably close to 15 years. I'm excited for some Gradius-style action.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Did you start collecting arcade PCBs? I must have missed this...

rdbbb posted:

Because since the dawn of the medium, every single piece of video produced regarding video games has to have some form of "comedy" in it.

Send me a capture device and/or camera stand and I'll make a boring lecture of a video game playthrough just for you.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Kickstarter for a General Chaos (On the Genesis) sequel. I've never played it but I know the original was mentioned in the thread a few times.

http://feedly.com/k/1e1oLVV

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ACID POLICE posted:

I wish, all my shmup gametime is on MAME. :v:

In all honesty, I don't really see myself getting into PCB collecting. I already :retrogames: enough with console games as is.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ACID POLICE posted:

Send me a capture device and/or camera stand and I'll make a boring lecture of a video game playthrough just for you.

Can you sound like a nasally 10 y/o whose balls haven't dropped yet? Because I think you might be ready for youtube.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

It's like watching the birth of Subspace/Contiuum.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

iastudent posted:

In all honesty, I don't really see myself getting into PCB collecting. I already :retrogames: enough with console games as is.

It's a slippery slope. I started with a neo geo MVS motherboard and KOF 98, next thing I know I have a CPS2 Street fighter alpha 2 with a phoenix bios,crap load of MVS games and a nba jam PCB :retrogames:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

dj_pain posted:

It's a slippery slope. I started with a neo geo MVS motherboard and KOF 98, next thing I know I have a CPS2 Street fighter alpha 2 with a phoenix bios,crap load of MVS games and a nba jam PCB :retrogames:

If I had the space, I think I would like it all to end where it began. A cocktail table Galaga and a beautiful, young waitress giving me a stack of quarters while my dad's in the back room doing a coke deal.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Holy crap, Goodwill finally paid off. Found a DKC3 cartridge for $3.

Not the greatest thing ever, but considering I've been checking every week for about six months and this is the first time I got results, I'm happy.

Label's worn to poo poo, though.

Considering for the longest time I only ever saw copies (granted they were real nice)for $25 paying $3 for a fun as poo poo game isn't that bad since you could print a new label. Any chance of seeing a pic of the label? I'm curious what you consider worn to poo poo.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

iastudent posted:

Well at least I hope you use shmupmame...

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ACID POLICE posted:

Well at least I hope you use shmupmame...

What kind of person do you think I am? :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everyone complaining about YouTube retro game videos just go watch gamesack. The comedy is so dry you might not know its there, but the videos are all really good.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrGameSack

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kthulhu5000 posted:

So, troubleshooting a 72-pin NES to 60-pin Famicom converter (NES games on a Famicom, *not vice versa*):

I bought this, so I could play try and play NES games on a Famicom. And it's not working.

My Famicom works; it plays Famicom carts just fine. My NES games work on an American NES (thanks to a rigorous NES console resurrection ritual). With the converter above, I put it in and get nothing; the screen just goes black. The converter only goes in the Famicom one way (so no keying issue there); the NES carts can go on the coverter forwards or backwards, both of which I've tried, and with the same results.

It's all kind of a moot point, I guess, since I now (currently) have a working NES. But for the sake of knowledge, is there anything else I might be doing wrong, or that I should try? Or should I just go with my gut, cut my losses, and see about getting a refund?

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions!

is it an av famicom? try putting the yobo converter in half way. It will still have problems with a few games but that was the way I managed to make it work

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everyone complaining about YouTube retro game videos just go watch gamesack. The comedy is so dry you might not know its there, but the videos are all really good.

Gamesack and Classic Game Room are the only youtube retro game shows I watch.

That American Pickers style thing always makes me mad because they come off (imo) as jerky jerkfaces who just want to get the lowest possible price for a game so they can brag about it on camera as opposed to wanting to complete some collection or play some game they've never been able to play before.

In anticipation of the EVERBRO Everdrives coming in the mail soon, I wanted to ask about Genesis translations. I've got the Genesis and Master System no-intro set already, but are there any fan translations or rom hacks I should look into? I checked romhacking.com but it looked like it was mostly things like "Play as Amy Rose/Shadow the Hedgehog in Sonic 1/2/3!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

iastudent posted:

Also I got NES Life Force in the mail today and I haven't touched it in probably close to 15 years. I'm excited for some Gradius-style action.

I think for all of its other good work on the NES, Konami's shooters on that platform generally aren't too hot. Twinbee 1 and 3 (but not 2/Stinger) being the exceptions to that. Hudson and Compile are where it's at for shooters on the platform. Konami was clearly focused on arcade design at the time and the ports for the home versions wound up suffering. Gradius and Lifeforce are so stripped down that it's pathetic. Parodius is a flickery mess. And then there's Top Gun.

(As an aside, I went into a retrogaming store a few months ago and they had two full shelves of Top Gun. It was like the ninth circle of hell.)

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Random Stranger posted:

I think for all of its other good work on the NES, Konami's shooters on that platform generally aren't too hot. Twinbee 1 and 3 (but not 2/Stinger) being the exceptions to that. Hudson and Compile are where it's at for shooters on the platform. Konami was clearly focused on arcade design at the time and the ports for the home versions wound up suffering. Gradius and Lifeforce are so stripped down that it's pathetic. Parodius is a flickery mess. And then there's Top Gun.

(As an aside, I went into a retrogaming store a few months ago and they had two full shelves of Top Gun. It was like the ninth circle of hell.)

Why the hate for Top Gun? Game was challenging as hell, and actually took skill. When I was a kid, I was better at that than I was at SMB1. Was it frustrating? Absolutely. But man it was rewarding when you nailed a landing on an aircraft carrier.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Yeah, I know arcade Salamander/Life Force is the more complete version, but all my memories are with the NES version. I've never seen an arcade cab of it so I settled for what I could find. :shobon:

As an aside, one of the stranger changes to the NES version was how they incorporated the Gradius power-up system into that version, but the arcade did not.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 7, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So what's the most unique thing in your collection? I have an official NES cartridge that I strongly suspect no one else in this thread has, even those of your trying to catch them all. Here it is!

"What? Kirby's Adventure? It's not THAT rare! I have my own copy right he-"

ENHANCE!

These strange words...is it a misprint? Some European cartridge? It's the same as the English cartridges, right?

Nope. This is Nintendo of Canada's FRENCH version of Kirby's Adventure, the only NTSC cartridge ever officially released in a language other than English or Japanese.

For the curious, like with most games, the translation is identical to the European French version of the game. Nintendo started making separate French versions with Super Mario Galaxy (with comedic-ly over-the-top Quebecois slang), and they're the only company that does this for some of their games (Mario and Zelda games, I don't think any other franchises).

King Dedede is named Dadidou (da-dee-doo), but the translation is overall pretty decent, especially for the NES days. There are even accents, which even in the SNES days wasn't always the case.

Let's take a look! (In an emulator because I'd need to get tons of cords out to take screenshots and :effort:), along with a reverse-mostly-literal translation I did without checking the English version (some of these sound dumb but they come across more naturally in French).

"FIRE" Bam! Kirby uses a Fire attack!

"SPARK" This electric attack paralyses! (lit. She paralyses, this electric attack!)

"SWORD" How brave Kirby is when he has a sword!

"PARASOL" A little stroll to get some fresh air!

"BURN" Kirby prepares for an attack that really cooks!

Good show/well met! We'll see you/meet again in the Game World.

One day, a great calamity perturbed the peace and quiet of the Dream World. Its inhabitants stopped dreaming!

Bordering the Dream World is the Fountain of Dreams, powered/recharged by the Star Sceptre. Hopes and dreams gushed from there.

Kirby decided to check (literally "measure the depth of") the fountain. And what did he find?...The evil King Dadidou swimming/bathing in the magic waters!

Dadidou had broken the Star Sceptre and given its pieces to his friends. Now, they are hiding in the Dream World!

To bring back the lost dreams, Kirby must find/return the Star Sceptre.

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
I just got one of those $30 clone GBA-to-SNES jobbers which just piggybacks the console for the power and controller. I would rate the composite output to my CRT as pretty ok with no interference or distortion. Outputs stretched 4:3 which the TVs' onboard 16:9 squeezy toggle handles fine. Haven't run into any glitches on the handful of games I've tried on it. Heard there are some graphical problems on certain games, but nothing show-stopping. I'd say this thing is a "good enough" alternative to having a Gamecube/GBP take up space.

There's a blob which contains the meat of the system, but a few proper chips also hanging around on the board. Maybe one of them is for converting RGB and the thing can be modded?

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Phoning It In posted:

I just got one of those $30 clone GBA-to-SNES jobbers which just piggybacks the console for the power and controller. I would rate the composite output to my CRT as pretty ok with no interference or distortion. Outputs stretched 4:3 which the TVs' onboard 16:9 squeezy toggle handles fine. Haven't run into any glitches on the handful of games I've tried on it. Heard there are some graphical problems on certain games, but nothing show-stopping. I'd say this thing is a "good enough" alternative to having a Gamecube/GBP take up space.

There's a blob which contains the meat of the system, but a few proper chips also hanging around on the board. Maybe one of them is for converting RGB and the thing can be modded?

Man, I'd be so much more interested in one of these things if they could output video over the multi-av port on the snes. I had one of those genesis adapters for a while, and it too required the use of a seperate cable. It just felt kinda pointless to me.

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
That probably won't happen on official hardware. If the adapter is run on a GAMEJOY-built SNES clone, it doesn't need the cable, because it probably just feeds the A/V through unused pins which the clone was designed to pick up and work with.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Phoning It In posted:

That probably won't happen on official hardware. If the adapter is run on a GAMEJOY-built SNES clone, it doesn't need the cable, because it probably just feeds the A/V through unused pins which the clone was designed to pick up and work with.

Speaking of which, I'm wondering if it's possible to wire that specific pin on the cartridge slot to the av port and have it output video that way...

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I have a Wii Mini, which is apparently discontinued.

I also have CAN versions of Startopics and Mario 2, but they're not in French.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cloks posted:

I have a Wii Mini, which is apparently discontinued.

I also have CAN versions of Startopics and Mario 2, but they're not in French.

Yeah, any game put out by Nintendo has a bilingual Canadian package equivalent with a different product code on the label, but Kirby is the only one where the content on the cartridge differs from the US-equivalent cartridge.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Well, with the exception of one which is on its way to Hawaii but instead making a fun trip around New England and almost coming back to me before being re-sorted, it looks like everyone's Mega Everbros are either at your houses or out for delivery! :dance:

(USPS has never hosed up terribly for me but I was unreasonably worried every single Everdrive would disappear right after I dropped them off so I felt I had to check them all)

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
And in a delightful coincidence, the Genesis I bought from Discount Viscount looks to be arriving today as well! Now comes the fun times of waiting for the mail lady.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

parasyte posted:

And in a delightful coincidence, the Genesis I bought from Discount Viscount looks to be arriving today as well! Now comes the fun times of waiting for the mail lady.

Enjoy! In a perfect world I would have kept it, but it was just sitting there taking up space I don't have. Only sad I never got to do World of Illusion co-op.

Also, I found the other controller, so you actually get TWO!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ACID POLICE posted:

Well, with the exception of one which is on its way to Hawaii but instead making a fun trip around New England and almost coming back to me before being re-sorted, it looks like everyone's Mega Everbros are either at your houses or out for delivery! :dance:

univbee posted:

So what's the most unique thing in your collection? I have an official NES cartridge that I strongly suspect no one else in this thread has, even those of your trying to catch them all. Here it is!

"What? Kirby's Adventure? It's not THAT rare! I have my own copy right he-"

ENHANCE!

This is cool poo poo. The one French NTSC game.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
My package from Acid Police came today! I slapped the MEGAOS.bin in the \mega folder, slapped some roms on there (Batman & Robin and Sonic 2) to test with a sweet 128mb SD card and it fired right up. Even with that ancient card it still starts games instantly. This thing is way cooler than I ever expected. Also TWO LABEL CHOICES! 1 serious and 1 import not serious

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Speaking of stuff being delivered...

:woop:

Thanks OverdriveGTO! Now my only problem is whether to play this right away since it's a prequel and the events precede the first game, or wait until I get Lufia and the Fortress of Doom. My only worry is that Lufia 2 will turn out to be so much more polished than 1 that going back and playing the original will be a let down. It's been at least a decade since I played either.

The tomatoes are an unrelated present from my in-laws who are visiting for the weekend.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Discount Viscount posted:

Enjoy! In a perfect world I would have kept it, but it was just sitting there taking up space I don't have. Only sad I never got to do World of Illusion co-op.

Also, I found the other controller, so you actually get TWO!

Nice, I was surprised and excited to see that! Now it can go with the other retro systems I don't have room for but do have flashcarts for. And at some point I'm going to be adding a CRT to that pile.

And there's everything! Thanks, retrogoons!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

I forgot to mention that thanks to this dude right here I finally ALMOST have every version of the SNES controller (I still need the original Super Famicom Jr. controller) and the first PAL SNES game I've ever owned! Too bad it doesn't do poo poo in a SFC :v:

I have no idea what the gently caress I am supposed to do with these other two things though.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Gamesack and Classic Game Room are the only youtube retro game shows I watch.

That American Pickers style thing always makes me mad because they come off (imo) as jerky jerkfaces who just want to get the lowest possible price for a game so they can brag about it on camera as opposed to wanting to complete some collection or play some game they've never been able to play before.
To add to this, the Chrontendo, Chronsega, and Chronturbo series are great as well. Each episode is about 45-60 minutes long and chronicles every NES/Famicom, Master System, Genesis/Mega Drive, and TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine game released (even ones exclusive to certain regions). He does talk about the systems themselves and gives pretty good background on a lot of the games he can find info about. He also does give his opinion on some of the games, but it's not really review-y.

Obviously, these shows aren't released on a regular basis since it's done by one guy who I assume does this more as a hobby, but there are enough episodes to keep new viewers busy for a while.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I love playing these types of Youtube shows in the background when I am soldering (or even doing while doing housework since I work the opposite schedule as the wife). Just did another N64 RGB mod while listening to Game Sack. :allears:
Thanks for recommending it!

There's a new AVGN episode you'd all pretty much love, even if you aren't a fan of his. His informative/hardware episodes are my favorite. This time he does Tiger Electronics games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u5dtBtG9yU

Even if you don't want to watch it, go to the 6:08 mark for guaranteed laughs.

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong
My EZ-Flash IV just arrived a few minutes ago. I don't have time to play with it now but I'm seriously wondering what kind of nitrous-powered boat they used to get this from Hong Kong so fast. What would the point of EMS for 36 bucks even been?!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

HellFox posted:

My EZ-Flash IV just arrived a few minutes ago. I don't have time to play with it now but I'm seriously wondering what kind of nitrous-powered boat they used to get this from Hong Kong so fast. What would the point of EMS for 36 bucks even been?!

Yours already showed up and you bought it from the Hong Kong site? It took my 3 in 1 (which I don't need anymore, argh) a couple weeks to get here!

Edit: All you dudes with Mega Everdrives. Take some songs you like, convert them to WAV, and throw them on your SD card. This one is particularly good through the Genesis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhysYkqt3Wg

VV If it's hong kong post it might not even update until it gets to you. Don't worry about it. You can check the tracking number on the hong kong post site though and it'll just tell you if it's been accepted/is on its way or not. VV

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 7, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My 3-in-1 has a tracking number that doesn't even work. Is this normal or should I be worried?

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!
I got my Everdrive in the mail and got the label applied all pretty and stuff. It's gorgeous. I keep finding more things on the label and the cover that I didn't notice before. Would've posted that everything got here safe and sound earlier, but I got sucked into trying out a ton of Sega Master System games, Devil Crush and then Valis.

Acid Police, you are a true Everbro. Thanks so much for organizing the group buy. Good things should happen to you.

Edit:

quote:

Q: Which games are not supported by the Mega EverDrive?
A: Virtua Racing, Mega Man, and some EA sports game titles.

Whoops. Should've read the manual closer. Guess I won't be playing Wily Wars after all!

Double edit:
Nevermind! It works totally fine with that patch that some handsome poster linked me a few pages back.

JumbocactuarX27 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Can anyone maybe explain why someone would have a PS1 controller with something like this at the end of 9 inches of cord?

We were theorizing its a development mod, but I can't think of what point it has or what it'd connect to.

• Locked thread