Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

I've liked the perspectives so far. I'm curious about some of the more administrative positions, so if you can grab one of those or the AI for a future round that might be fun to watch.

Admin isn't a chosen job, that's actually reserved for people who are assigned as such outside of the game. AI is a position you can take though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Mordaedil posted:

Admin isn't a chosen job, that's actually reserved for people who are assigned as such outside of the game. AI is a position you can take though.
I believe our often-posting friend there was referring to the administrative tasks on board, not becoming an admin.

As in, the 'Head of X' and 'Director' positions.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Play Head of Security. Spend every moment calling random security officers into your office, calling them "loose cannons," telling them they're off the case, and if they protest demanding that they return their badge and gun.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Alternatively: Play a security officer, get sauced on whiskey and painkillers, and play by your own rules. "In a station gone mad, there is only one law..."

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I'm terrible at mathematics IRL so I'd probably be awful at telescience in-game (oh god, I'm still learning chemistry!) but I'd love to see a game played as a teleport scientist and all the horrible things that can go wrong.

What I mean is, I want to see a surprise recreation of Half-Life or DooM, preferably the latter.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

inscrutable horse posted:

Alternatively: Play a security officer, get sauced on whiskey and painkillers, and play by your own rules. "In a station gone mad, there is only one law..."

No, play as Security, get wasted, and walk around giving a shitload of tickets.

Frankomatic
Aug 22, 2007

I've got to get a picture of this!
This LP got me to give the game another go for the first time in a long while. I like a lot of the new things that have been added since my last play. My first round was as a staff assistant who popped in as the round was ending, so I hopped into an escape pod and met what I assume is the usual fate for escape pods (horrible explosive death).

Second round I played as a Janitor and managed to not lose my bucket the whole round, probably because I wasn't wetting the floor everywhere for no real reason. It was a changling round and I think I kind of found the changling's secret murder lair... and was probably being watched by said changling who wandered back in while I was cleaning up all the blood. He just silently watched me as I made it look like nothing had ever happened in there and left. Didn't see any other signs of a changling until the Shambling Abomination found me after the round had already ended.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
I am so bad at chemistry in game. I think the problem is exactly what the wiki says: I'm overthinking it. For the record, I'm glad we live in a universe where tossing hydrogen (in a beaker?), oxygen, and sulfur together in one beaker doesn't actually magically make sulfuric acid.

edit: Phlogiston foam is not as effective a murder tool as I expected.

Steak Flavored Gum fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 8, 2013

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
God, last time I regularly used BYOND, I was into those awful DBZ MMORPGs that were huge there. I want to get into this game but I can barely tell what's going on. It's like looking at Dwarf Fortress but the lag makes it even less clear what you're doing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

PopeCrunch posted:

You know the cake hat? If you click it while it's in your hand, it lights the little candle on it. You can use this to light a cigarette.
And flaming bodies, my tool of choice. I'm not sure which I enjoy more as Detective; staggering onto the escape shuttle, aflame and wounded but victorious having taken down a great threat at the last minute, only to light up my cigarette with my own body and expire, or playing a traitor, setting people on fire and lighting my cigarette with their bodies as they scream for help.

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

For instance, the admins occasionally like to do a gimmick round type where instead of the usual randomly generated traitors, they manually assign more interesting goals to traitors who don't get the usual gear to work with. Some objectives I can think of from rounds like this: "Ruin as much as you can while pretending to be would-be-helpful and incompetent", "you're a disgruntled miner - seek revenge", "become a literal arms dealer", "punch EVERYONE", "set up elaborate crime scenes to 'investigate'"... that last one involves the incredible story of the gruesome and wholly fictional Clown Killer, which I know someone wrote up but I can't find it now.
Haha, the Clown Killer was me. It was the first time I got to be a "hardmode traitor", as they're called, and I was the Detective. I had so much fun after the first panicked fifteen minutes of going "oh god oh god I'm not good enough to do this they picked wrong I can't think of anything funny to do", good to know it proved somewhat memorable. The end result was... well, this:

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

My clown killer hoax turned out better than I ever imagined.

I spent the first ten minutes or so just racking my brains. What crimes should I set up? Could I gain accomplices? What were the other deep cover traitors doing, and how would it interfere with my own goals? Perhaps predictably, I decided that clowns had to be involved. Would it be a clown suicide? Someone murdering a clown? No... this was Extended mode. People knew to expect the unexpected. A murdered clown would either be an overly obvious setup or, well, business as usual.

The initial crime went wonderfully. An unpleasant chap (I think it was Lez, actually) was being arrested at security. When I attempted to shake him up, he tried to disarm me, so I shot him with a stun bullet. He proceeded to scream that I shot him three times and I was a traitor - playing his own role wonderfully, as I now know. This gave me the excuse to take him away for a personal chat with security's blessing. A quick fire extinguisher or thirty to the head later, and Lez's corpse lay in the center of the chapel surrounded by clown gear and bearing an ominous note, a deranged scrawl demanding EXACTLY SIX BRAINS (no more) AT QM OR I WILL KILL AGAIN (honk). Stumbling out of disposals, bloody and weak from hitting myself in the face several times, I declared that an Unknown assailant had flushed me and kidnapped Lez, and that I hoped he was quite okay. Tracking him, the AI discovered the terrible scene, and called us to the chapel to witness the horrifying demands of the psychotic Clown Killer! The crew were sufficiently terrified and intrigued, apart from Walter Poehl, who punched everyone in the room before running away.

What I did not expect was that the crew would actually remember this event ten minutes later, and actually proceed to deliver the brains! However, they planned to use synthbrains as a solution to killing each other to sate the clown killer, and that just would not do. Therefore, the clown killer struck again, striking down a security guard in the middle of the brig. Said security guard got a few cries out - as I discovered to my dismay, it appeared that the Unknown assailant was now disguised as me (this being SS13, that was all it took for suspicion to leave me)! Virgil Watson arrived as a new security officer, and rushed to my aid when I staggered out of the brig, bloody and beaten. He ventured north to find a poor security officer, cruelly beaten to death, surrounded by owl merchandise and bearing a note from the Clown Killer, calling for the death of all things that grow and the forced delivery of all botany's plantpots to robotics that we might hail the metal dawn. This message unfortunately didn't really catch on, which is a shame, because I had a really funny mental image of half the crew falling over themselves to rob botany blind while the poor botanists helplessly try to salvage their weed, followed by a madcap all-hands uncoordinated dash across the station. Ah well. The mistake was probably leaving the corpse in a secure, inaccessible area.

The Clown Killer soon struck again, when a hapless mechanic informed me that... well, that the Clown Killer had struck again, murdering poor Mrs Muggles in QM and leaving a note complaining that the brains were left in the wrong place and 20 butts must be delivered to robotics to make up for it. I still have no idea who did that one, actually. I played along, however, until I could murder the mechanic horribly and leave his body surrounded by donuts in the crew quarters, bearing a hysterical note demanding that an aquarium be built in the Clown's honour, filled with beautiful honking-henking clown-fish that make a sound only the Killer could hear (but such a sweet sound!). The crew were well on board with this one, raiding the kitchen with toolboxes in hand and filling the pool with the poor chef's fish supply. When they showed disappointment that the fish were not honking yet, I helpfully suggested that an aquarium needed to be surrounded by glass, and they did my bidding once more.

From there, as the chaos of the round escalated, the Clown Killer's crimes grew necessarily more manic. The now-regular omnipresent sounds of honking and henking, baby seals and fading screams (thanks to Cogwerks) ensured that the crew's attention never dimmed, but that crime had to be more opportunistic than planned. A braindead fellow on the shuttle provided a corpse in the marketplace, bearing a barely-comprehensible letter that ended with recursive shrieks of "WHO AM I TO ASK THIS OF YOU??". By this point, a couple of smarter players had caught on and were following me around honking and screaming anyway. The last corpse was a poor security officer in the warehouse, the note a plaintive cry for the crew to find and deliver the Clown Killer's long-lost motherfather SPACE DAD Deon Fistful. Alas, the shuttle was on its way, the crew no longer attentive, and it was all I could do to run to my office, down some Bo Jack's and rush to escape whilst fumbling to light a cigarette. I made it on and lit up with less than a second to go, becoming the only crew member to complete all my objectives (which still included being drunk/smoking at the end of the round) and the most successful Jimmy McNulty of all space-time.

A good round.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Since the OP is still looking for names/gimmicks:

When you get around to chief engineer, the usual sort of gimmick would be Scotty, or perhaps Geordi. But no, those people are competent engineers and we all know that just isn't right. O'Brien was a COO rather than a chief engineer, but he's still a cut above what you'd expect here. Even B'Elanna Torres, who spent more time whining about being half-Klingon than actually doing any engineering, is too good for this station.

No, you need to be Charles "Trip" Tucker III, chief engineer of the Enterprise NX-01, also known as "the one that actually managed to get cancelled". You may, of course, use whatever variation on that name you consider appropriate. Your job is to have a fake, lovely southern accent and make sure the engine mostly works, but sometimes fails so you can heroically repair it. Keeping it functioning just enough to have low power is also acceptable. At no point should you configure the solar arrays. You shouldn't stop the AI from doing so, but express confusion if it brings them up. Whenever possible, make up lovely stories from your past to explain current events, justify your actions, or just fill time while you wait to be murdered by a commando team. (Feel free to have some ready in advance.)

You should also wallow in xenophobia, but in this universe that is completely justified, so it's unlikely anyone will notice.

Seraphroy
Jun 24, 2010

Jesus shit that Steelix is terrifying.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Since the OP is still looking for names/gimmicks:

When you get around to chief engineer, the usual sort of gimmick would be Scotty, or perhaps Geordi. But no, those people are competent engineers and we all know that just isn't right. O'Brien was a COO rather than a chief engineer, but he's still a cut above what you'd expect here. Even B'Elanna Torres, who spent more time whining about being half-Klingon than actually doing any engineering, is too good for this station.

No, you need to be Charles "Trip" Tucker III, chief engineer of the Enterprise NX-01, also known as "the one that actually managed to get cancelled". You may, of course, use whatever variation on that name you consider appropriate. Your job is to have a fake, lovely southern accent and make sure the engine mostly works, but sometimes fails so you can heroically repair it. Keeping it functioning just enough to have low power is also acceptable. At no point should you configure the solar arrays. You shouldn't stop the AI from doing so, but express confusion if it brings them up. Whenever possible, make up lovely stories from your past to explain current events, justify your actions, or just fill time while you wait to be murdered by a commando team. (Feel free to have some ready in advance.)

You should also wallow in xenophobia, but in this universe that is completely justified, so it's unlikely anyone will notice.

I like this. I'd love to see it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Indeed. The engine topping 400kw should be the threshold for personal objective failure.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I'm thinking of starting in on this game, but it just seems so intimidating I don't even know where to begin. I've thought of a (probably dumb) gimmick for you though.

As a traitor:
Convince the crew/AI that it's someone's birthday. Have them throw a surprise party and invite everyone. Then blow up the party/poison the cake/whatever.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Grizzwold posted:

I'm thinking of starting in on this game, but it just seems so intimidating I don't even know where to begin. I've thought of a (probably dumb) gimmick for you though.

As a traitor:
Convince the crew/AI that it's someone's birthday. Have them throw a surprise party and invite everyone. Then blow up the party/poison the cake/whatever.

Poisoning the cake would be fun but everyone can see what a cake is made out of before they eat it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Poisoning the cake would be fun but everyone can see what a cake is made out of before they eat it.

You make it sound like that would stop people.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
For a traitor run, I like the idea of being as friendly and helpful as possible, saving peoples' lives at every opportunity, preventing disaster on the station multiple times, getting everyone to trust you and like you, and when you have become the single most trusted person on the station, and have convinced people that following your advice is the only way to survive the round, get them all together in one place and bomb and/or gas them.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Mister Bates posted:

For a traitor run, I like the idea of being as friendly and helpful as possible, saving peoples' lives at every opportunity, preventing disaster on the station multiple times, getting everyone to trust you and like you, and when you have become the single most trusted person on the station, and have convinced people that following your advice is the only way to survive the round, get them all together in one place and bomb and/or gas them.

This would be amazing, except the first thing SS13 players tend to be suspicious of is compassion and helpfulness.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Every time I've tried to be a Hero Doctor, I've ended up exceptionally dead. There is no place for compassion on Space Station 13.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

1stGear posted:

Every time I've tried to be a Hero Doctor, I've ended up exceptionally dead. There is no place for compassion on Space Station 13.

Last time I was hero doctor, I got killed by a poobomb grenade. I can confirm that compassion equates to weakness on SS13.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
New Update

:siren:The Good Father (Chaplin):siren:

There's no daily motion video yet as I have to edit this one into two parts. It's long, I recommend watching it in parts, maybe after I break it up into two parts, I'll upload them to youtube too.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Razage posted:

New Update

There's no daily motion video yet as I have to edit this one into two parts. It's long, I recommend watching it in parts, maybe after I break it up into two parts, I'll upload them to youtube too.

Not available on mobile. :negative:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Razage posted:

New Update

Way to frame the janitor. By the way, did you really forget you had the fire extinguisher or does it not work on yourself?

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
The hallway dangers theme really worked out better than you thought huh?

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
On one hand, I think I found my new favorite game to play on breaks while I'm at college. On the other hand, I'm more than certain this will ruin any productivity I would have had this year while at college.

Great videos Razage, and thank you for both tanking my GPA and showing me this wonderful game.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Not the icing. The icing can be whatever you'd like. Like a mix of 45ml LSD, 4ml rum, and 1ml vomit.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
This was a really interesting round...from my perspective. I'll go into some detail about why it wasn't that great for anybody else.

When Razage was in sec and the captain commented on his mustache, he was actually talking about the fake mustache he was wearing, a traitor item. This is why I was all apprehensive. As he left, I was in the middle of commenting to him that as long as he didn't make me care about the mustache, I wouldn't do anything...but then he stuck me with a mind-slave implant, a traitor item that makes one person into your minion for a rather long period of time. He proceeded to lead me on a giant rampage across the station with his c-saber, something I grudgingly assisted with. While I am not exactly shy about going on murder fiestas as a traitor or mindslave, this particular captain was being pretty bad all night, reaching its peak with him changing the AI's name to "HOS IS A human being" the round prior - leading me to declare THE CAPTAIN IS BAD over VOX and another admin allowing the AI to laser him to death.

So, this rampage of his led to a mass depopulation of the station, which led to the uncommonly quiet radio and general lack of shenanigans. He even killed both other traitors, including Zhou, the guy who actually took me up on my shady bribes scheme. A traitor who kills his fellow traitors instead of teaming up with them is A Shameful Traitor in my opinion.

Side note: the keen-eyed among you may have also noticed a scientist talking about her flammable foams and sprays, and then noticed that she wasn't actually a traitor. She was just a moron chemist testing random sprays everywhere on the station, and these sprays included welding fuel and cooking oil. The chemicals being tracked on floors all over the stations combined with giant fireballs like the ones ignited by Razage's cake hat led to crippling lag. We yelled at her for that one :v:

About an hour in, I got caught on video with the captain in Medbay. He was mid-rampage and I was following behind, but I took the time to salute Father Grigori's merciless faith-healing beatings. Shortly after that, I got murdered by the captain for warning him that my mind-slave implant was wearing off, a courtesy rarely given despite this being usable to extend the mind-slave implant's length. Inexplicably, while he murdered me in genetics, he didn't use the incredibly easy way of disposing bodies located inside. While Razage slept off the flu, half a screen away my naked body got found in genetics by the janitor, who was cleaning up after the captain's rampage, and he cloned me.

At around 1:11:00, that really loud synth-y noise as Razage left medbay was the sound of the captain activating his c-saber, but somehow he didn't see Razage in the darkness, so he got stupidly lucky and escaped un-stabbed. I proceeded to go on a quest for bloody vengeance, using a stolen e-mag from one of the dead traitors still hidden in my backpack to loot the armory and the Head of Security's office for a laser. Just as Razage finished setting the pump pressures on the engine, I found Dan in the escape wing, stunned him, and lasered him to death. This led to my comment in the end-round OOC: if you're a dick to your mindslaves, you had better make good and god-damned sure they're not going to becoming back, or else they're probably going to murder you. You should probably just not be a dick to your mindslaves.

Lastly, you didn't end the video by farting on the bible you monster

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
For some reason I find it incredibly amusing that apparently there was a station wide bloodbath that Razage was repeatedly managing to avoid by inches.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Bremen posted:

For some reason I find it incredibly amusing that apparently there was a station wide bloodbath that Razage was repeatedly managing to avoid by inches.

The bird's-eye view admins can get of things when necessary has given me an appreciation for the fact that this happens all the loving time.

There can be changelings roaming the halls as gigantic pillars of flesh, mouths, and spider legs, there can be wizards hurling fireballs, there can be zombies, there might even be Macho Man Randy Savage himself driving the short bus straight down the hallways, there will always be one or two dudes that ignore the radio and completely miss everything by sheer luck, and if they die, it completely blindsides them.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Bremen posted:

At least it means we know that as Father Grigori waves goodbye to the rest of the crew on their escape shuttle, he'll be perfectly fine on his burned-out husk of a station which he can power and run by himself, especially considering all the passkeys he'll be picking up as he disposes of the bodies.

Actually, that fits perfectly. Good jobs all around. Now we just need Freeman to stop by and dodge through the extensive trap collection he'll build during all the down time.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
You motherfucker. I was the janitor on that round and I had no goddamned idea how someone got in there and stole my bombs and spray bottle. I was looking forward to using that spray bottle, too, since I just learned how it worked from your video!

I was also the guy that set off your mousetrap. I picked it up and put it in my bag to get it out of the way so I wouldn't tread on it, then dumped it out of the bag in medbay to make room for a medkit or something. Which resulted in it exploding, as you can see when you visit medbay to kick the drugs.

(That was right before I got the AI to let me into medbay and resurrected Daeren. It really was a fun round for me. I even got onto the shuttle and survived at the end.)

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Daeren posted:

The bird's-eye view admins can get of things when necessary has given me an appreciation for the fact that this happens all the loving time.

There can be changelings roaming the halls as gigantic pillars of flesh, mouths, and spider legs, there can be wizards hurling fireballs, there can be zombies, there might even be Macho Man Randy Savage himself driving the short bus straight down the hallways, there will always be one or two dudes that ignore the radio and completely miss everything by sheer luck, and if they die, it completely blindsides them.

To be fair, it seems like ignoring the radio is a necessarily sanity preservation technique.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
So, are there any consequences to fueling the reactor with biotoxin instead of N2, as you did in the video?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That is a very powerful Coffin to resist that fire.

dancinginfernal
Dec 27, 2012
I have to admit, seeing how nonchalant you were about getting kidnapped and having your butt surgically removed and turned into a robot was maybe my favorite part of this entire video.

Grand Theft Buttocks.

"Watch as I MAKE NEW LIFE...

FROM YOUR BUTT."

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Montegoraon posted:

So, are there any consequences to fueling the reactor with biotoxin instead of N2, as you did in the video?

Plasma? Just to point out what's usually going on there- the gases in the main pipes aren't fuel, they're a heat-exchange medium. Each gas has different thermal properties. N2 is a very weak but safe choice.

Pros

Plasma has extremely high heat capacity and is basically magic as far as the hot and cold loops are concerned. Using it in both the hot and the cold loop will generate a ton of power however you choose to heat it. A pure plasma setup is relatively safe. A plasma-oxygen burn INSIDE the pipes can yield hilariously high amounts of power.

Cons

Should a pipe break somehow, due to sabotage, PDA bombs, mischief, or inept engineers, you'll have a roaring fire on your hands. If anyone adds oxygen to the pipes, you're about a minute away from the whole core turning into an inferno unless you are really, really, really on top of your game and know how to keep the pressure excursion under control as the heat skyrockets. Also, idiots might think you're trying to blow up the engine and kill you.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

If you still have the raw video why don't you make a separate video showing how to setup the engine. drat thing seems really esoteric to those not in the know. Also the how to hack and how to make secret doors are also great.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 9, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
My inner physicist doesn't know if it should be delighted that they seem to have an actual thermoelectric generator or disappointed that the game runs with the popular misconception that exposing something to space will make it really cold :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, are you the Daeren from this page? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Jesus, on my second round ever I was made Captain even though my jobs were set to be like, janitor only. I sent an adminhelp thing, I grabbed some whiskey, started walking around the station getting progressively more drunk and shouting orders. Then my PDA or ID card or something exploded, so then I started shouting at the AI to eliminate the traitor. But I was too drunk so it was more like "OAsssssssssicccxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx th eeeeeeraaaaaaaatorrrrrrrrrrrrrr!" so that didn't really help. Things kept exploding and then some guy came into medbay screaming with a railgun and he started loving us up real bad. I took like thirty hits and kept standing back up, so eventually I just started shouting at him while swigging a shitload of whiskey, eventually getting picked up by a medic and getting shoved into a sleeper. Then the entire station got nuked.

Pretty good round! :v:

• Locked thread