Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Susurrus posted:

I'd like to try out a new MMO, preferably free. I'm a bit frustrated with my normal cycle of playing, which seems to be: start game, play for a while, realize none of my friends play, stop playing. If the game had a large goon presence I could get in on, that'd be fantastic so I wouldn't have to do the endless grind alone. Other than that, I really have no preference, so go wild I guess.

Rift is F2P now and pretty high quality compared to the other free options available, but I have no idea what the goon presence is doing.

DDO had a pretty good goon community and it's definitely different, but the solo content is pretty limited. I also haven't played for like two years so I have no idea how active the goons even are anymore :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentpenguins
May 9, 2013

Abysswalking
I was really, really into Escape Velocity Nova for a long time. Looking at Ambrosia's site they have apparently moved on to casual games and apps. Can someone recommend a similar game?

Edit: I like the combat style and movement of EVN best, and I already have FTL before anyone recommends that.

silentpenguins fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 8, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Drox Operative has a pretty similar control scheme to EV Nova, but is more like Diablo in space. It's very light on plot, but lets you mess around with different factions.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

silentpenguins posted:

I was really, really into Escape Velocity Nova for a long time. Looking at Ambrosia's site they have apparently moved on to casual games and apps. Can someone recommend a similar game?

Edit: I like the combat style and movement of EVN best, and I already have FTL before anyone recommends that.

Transcendence is OK, it's basically Escape Velocity the Roguelike. Feels limited in a lot of ways compared to EVN but it's decent in its own right.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I'm looking for more competitive multiplayer, single-screen games with simple mechanics. Party games basically- where people who rarely play video games can compete against frequent players and still have fun. Here are some examples:

Nidhogg (and the freely available remake eggnogg)
Bari Bari Ball
TowerFall
Samurai Gun
Dive Kick
0Space
Rayman Legends: the "Kung Foot" mini game

Things like Grifball from Halo, and XBLA games are good as well, but I would prefer them to be stand-alone pc games.

Any ideas?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Any games where you I guess, breed stuff? I'm getting more enjoyment from Crusader Kings 2 by playing games with breeding nobles, but I'm completely bored with the politics stuff.

Maybe something more to it, but just something I can get semi-realistic results and have it applicable to something!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Are there any good newer city-builders similar to CivCity:Rome and the Anno series? I personally prefer roman-esque settings.

I played Grand Ages : Rome, but it left me wanting. CivCity:Rome was great though. I've been playing Anno 2070 and I like it well enough. I just want something new.

EDIT : Also, any good space combat games other than the X series (Or things like Freelancer/Freespace/Wing Commander-ish stuff)?

khy fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 9, 2013

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

khy posted:

Are there any good newer city-builders similar to CivCity:Rome and the Anno series?

I got heaps of enjoyment out of Tropico 4 and the Modern expack. Very similar to Anno in that you manage supply lines and zones of influence, though once you figure it out it's easy to solve all problems without difficulty.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

khy posted:

EDIT : Also, any good space combat games other than the X series (Or things like Freelancer/Freespace/Wing Commander-ish stuff)?

Evochron Mercenary is alright. But honestly, you either go for an oldie, like the aforementioned Freespace, or stick to the X series. Recent space combat games pretty much boil down to terrible F2P titles like Black Prophecy and Star Conflict, indie games that are still in development or lack any real substance, and the X series.

Fortunately, X Rebirth comes out in two months. And if you're willing to deal with the "still in development" part, Starpoint Gemini 2 may be worth a look, but I haven't tried it myself so I can't comment on its quality.

Edit: There's also Star Citizen's dogfighting module, estimated to be released by December. But I think that's just for backers.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 9, 2013

silentpenguins
May 9, 2013

Abysswalking

Mokinokaro posted:

Drox Operative has a pretty similar control scheme to EV Nova, but is more like Diablo in space. It's very light on plot, but lets you mess around with different factions.

yeah, I'll have to check this out. Maybe I'll bite on Star Citizen or Starpoint Gemini 2 as well.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Any good DS games that only came out in Japan? Doesn't matter what kind, as long as they're good and caused some kind of indignation because they were never localized.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Synnr posted:

Any games where you I guess, breed stuff? I'm getting more enjoyment from Crusader Kings 2 by playing games with breeding nobles, but I'm completely bored with the politics stuff.

Maybe something more to it, but just something I can get semi-realistic results and have it applicable to something!

A Tale in the Desert had the most awesome mechanics where you could breed beetles and make nifty patterns, and grow grapes in various climates to make different flavours to blend wines with... I had so much fun doing those kinds of things, but it's a pay to play MMO with almost no solo content. If anyone knows of a solo game that has decent mechanics like those, please post them.

You can breed things (cows/crops...) in some of the Harvest Moon games but it's just not as in depth.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Tagra posted:

A Tale in the Desert had the most awesome mechanics where you could breed beetles and make nifty patterns, and grow grapes in various climates to make different flavours to blend wines with... I had so much fun doing those kinds of things, but it's a pay to play MMO with almost no solo content. If anyone knows of a solo game that has decent mechanics like those, please post them.

You can breed things (cows/crops...) in some of the Harvest Moon games but it's just not as in depth.

The Sims 3's gardening mechanics include a lot of that stuff; You have plants and seeds of varying quality, which can be selectively picked to create perfect crops. Expansions further add onto that, adding wine (and honey) making to the game with similar elements, another adding genetic modification of seeds, and so on. You also have neat things like growing a super rare plant to create an elixir that extends your sim's life, effectively 'growing' your own Lazarus Pits.

There's also genetics involved in offspring (both sims and pets), which involves passing down traits, appearance or supernatural attributes. Unfortunately I doubt these mechanics will have the depth you want, given your description of A Tale in the Desert.

I do recall some flash games that had fairly complex mechanics involving both crops and/or breeding, but can't think of any names at the moment.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm in the mood for something... kind of hard to pin down, to be honest. The main features that I can think of are awe-inspiring locations to explore that offer more than just scenery/hiking (ruling out stuff like Dear Esther or adventure games), a mostly-sedate/player-controlled pace, a general lack of urgency and tension (some is fine), and not quite linear but not quite open world/sandbox. The gameplay and genre don't matter so much - Zelda and Morrowind are two examples that I can think of that are close to what I'm after, whereas Metroid Prime isn't, for some reason.

Honestly, the game I'm looking for might not even exist, but damned if I'm not in the mood to play it. Anything that comes close will be appreciated, really. Thinking of giving Outcast a shot.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Outcast was a fun game, but I wouldn't count exploration among its fortes. And I doubt it would hold up well today.

Space combat games like the aforementioned X series fit that description, but that's probably not the scenery or gameplay you're looking for.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I'm in the mood for something... kind of hard to pin down, to be honest. The main features that I can think of are awe-inspiring locations to explore that offer more than just scenery/hiking (ruling out stuff like Dear Esther or adventure games), a mostly-sedate/player-controlled pace, a general lack of urgency and tension (some is fine), and not quite linear but not quite open world/sandbox. The gameplay and genre don't matter so much - Zelda and Morrowind are two examples that I can think of that are close to what I'm after, whereas Metroid Prime isn't, for some reason.

Honestly, the game I'm looking for might not even exist, but damned if I'm not in the mood to play it. Anything that comes close will be appreciated, really. Thinking of giving Outcast a shot.

Have you ever played Gothic 2? It has a lot of great scenery but it's also a somewhat difficult game.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

You can try Miasmata, although the "plot" is "find plants to cure yourself while exploring this huge island" which might be a bit too sandbox for you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Shadow of the Colossus maybe?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I'd recommend Kingdoms of Amalur. Its sort of a single player World of Warcraft, and the world design is fantastic with plenty to explore and a huge amount of content.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 24, 2019

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
If you stick with Gothic 2 for a little while you'll eventually get used to the controls. They're bizarre and not anything like what we use now but in the end they're more than good enough to play the game, unlike Gothic 1. I only say this because Gothic 2 is an incredible game and one of the best RPGs ever made, so missing out on it because of something that only affects the first few hours is genuinely sad to me.

Trust me, I had the same experience as you. When I loaded up Gothic 2 for the first time last year, I ended up quitting like 20 minutes in because the controls pissed me off so much. It took me months to convince myself to just sit down and play it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

NeilPerry posted:

Any good DS games that only came out in Japan? Doesn't matter what kind, as long as they're good and caused some kind of indignation because they were never localized.

Tales of Hearts is the first good Japan only DS game that comes to mind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii would suit this to a tee, but getting a copy's rather pricey in the US I hear.

NeilPerry posted:

Osu! Tatake! OuenDAAAAN! It surprisingly got imported like mad to the US, inspiring iNiS to create Elite Beat Agents. Get Elite Beat Agents as well if you don't already have it, because it's a drat good game.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

If you stick with Gothic 2 for a little while you'll eventually get used to the controls. They're bizarre and not anything like what we use now but in the end they're more than good enough to play the game, unlike Gothic 1. I only say this because Gothic 2 is an incredible game and one of the best RPGs ever made, so missing out on it because of something that only affects the first few hours is genuinely sad to me.

Trust me, I had the same experience as you. When I loaded up Gothic 2 for the first time last year, I ended up quitting like 20 minutes in because the controls pissed me off so much. It took me months to convince myself to just sit down and play it.

I agree with about Gothic 2's controls being good once you get used to them, but that pretty much holds for Gothic 1 as well. Gothic 2 controls almost identically to Gothic 1, unless you're playing version 1.0 with no mouse support. The only place where it remains weird is in menus and the like, which is clunky but not grossly inconvenient.

They're both great games and worth playing, especially in sequence. I actually slightly prefer Gothic 1 over Gothic 2--the world of prison colony is much more interesting IMHO than the generic island of Gothic 2.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I've had a Diablo itch recently that Torchlight 2 just doesn't scratch is Diablo 3 REALLY that bad?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Smornstein posted:

I've had a Diablo itch recently that Torchlight 2 just doesn't scratch is Diablo 3 REALLY that bad?

No, but it's much less like Diablo 2 than the Torchlight games are. So whether or not you'll like it depends on what part of Diablo you like. D3 replaces the skill trees with the ability to swap out which powers you're currently using at any time, but with a limit of 6 in total, so customization is more about experimenting and finding a build that fits your playstyle rather than planning way ahead and picking the right talents as you level up. Loot is also kind of weird since most classes don't actually attack directly with their equipped weapons, they just use powers that do damage based on some % of your weapon's DPS.

It's still fun to actually PLAY though, and pretty satisfying to just mow down hundreds of dudes with exploding frogs or huge battleaxes or whatever.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Smornstein posted:

If you have a console, then chances are you'd love the poo poo out of console D3. You heard complaints because, in my opinion, people had unrealistic expectations and too much nostalgia. It's the only game I've ever watched all my friends put 100 hours into then hop on a "that game sucks" bandwagon.

The combat was always fun, it's the best of any ARPG by far. The story isn't amazing but all you need is a little lore for the New Area -> Kill Boss stuff, which there's more of than TL2.

And what pushes it into the fun category is that console versions have an overhauled loot system with a drop rate that isn't tuned to millions of players' items flooding into the AH. You can basically ball out of control in SP/Co-Op.

vv Yeah, pretty much all that.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 9, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Royal Scrub posted:

And what pushes it into the fun category is that console versions have an overhauled loot system with a drop rate that isn't tuned to millions of players' items flooding into the AH. You can basically ball out of control in SP/Co-Op.

Honestly it was the loot system that generated the most hate from PC players. It was so obviously designed to funnel players into the real money auction house nonsense and keep item values higher. You couldn't even progress into higher difficulties without buying items as the drop rates were so terrible.

PC version will be patched with a loot system closer to the console releases by the time the expansion hits since the current guy in charge of D3 loathes the auction houses and what they did to the game, but isn't allowed to remove them.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Genpei Turtle posted:

I agree with about Gothic 2's controls being good once you get used to them, but that pretty much holds for Gothic 1 as well. Gothic 2 controls almost identically to Gothic 1, unless you're playing version 1.0 with no mouse support. The only place where it remains weird is in menus and the like, which is clunky but not grossly inconvenient.

They're both great games and worth playing, especially in sequence. I actually slightly prefer Gothic 1 over Gothic 2--the world of prison colony is much more interesting IMHO than the generic island of Gothic 2.

Are you sure you didn't have the Gothic 1 control option enabled in Gothic 2? There are some really important changes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

NeilPerry posted:

GameCenter CX: Arino's Challenge 2. Based on the popular tv show, it's a collection of mini-games that emulate classic retro gaming, framed by a series of challenges that must be cleared to unlock the next game, and comes with fictive gaming magazines and other nostalgic stuff. The first one was localized as Retro Game Challenge but didn't sell enough in the west for the publisher to bother localizing the sequel.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Smornstein posted:

If you want a PC game that, today, might as well be called Diablo, play Path of Exile. It's pretty much the spiritual successor to Diablo 2, and much, much more similar to its inspirational title than Diablo 3, including the barter-based economy and average combat.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

I write this with great shame.

I've recently been playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 and this game is the poo poo. However, my friend jokingly came up with the idea of Space Truck Simulator and now I can't stop thinking about it. What sort of games are there where I can ship goods across the Galaxy? I can think of a few, the main one being X3: AR. However, I've already played it so I know what I'd be getting into, and shipping goods is not really the aim of the game.

The other option would be playing Eve, but I have also played quite a bit of that and I'm not going to reopen that can of worms. So, what are some other options? Old(1990's) or New.

A second request: I just got back from Japan where I bought the SMTIV 3DS LL. I bought Fantasy Life Link!, Youkai Watch, Project X Zone(woops), and Bravely Default. I willbe buying MH4 on Saturday and saying goodbye to my GPA. What other gems are there that we don't have in the US? I'll be in China in December and plan to get some more games while I'm in Asia.

I feel like I had a third one but I forget now. Will edit if I remember.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Much fun to be had with space trucking in the Escape Velocity series.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Rollersnake posted:

Much fun to be had with space trucking in the Escape Velocity series.

This looks pretty fun, I'll give it a go. Thanks!

E> I'd also like to say that I would prefer something with first person controls so that it feels like you're delivering spaceloads from the comfort of your cockpit. EV still looks like a good time though, all suggestions are welcome.

kaempfer0080 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 10, 2013

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Not first person, but try Gazillionaire Deluxe!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm looking for a good third-person (not top-down or Wizardly-style, I already have enough of those) dungeon-crawler game for the PC, basically something like Dark Souls or Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen. I've tried Skyrim but all the dungeons in that thing are boring caves. Pessimism tells me I'm going to end up just waiting for Dark Souls 2, but I love in hope.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Gothic 2

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

If anyone is looking for a fun modern arcade like driving game, I have to suggest Burnout Paradise. It's really fun, it has a bunch of really insane fast vehicles, you have a huge open world where you can drive really fast and crash into everything. And yes it has crash details even though it looks more like your vehicle is made out of rubber whenever you slam head first into a barrier, or invisible wall in some cases. It's also on sale for $4.99 on steam so get it now, it runs on pretty much any mid tier computer and it doesn't have crippling DRM.

As for what I'm sort of looking for, anyone know of any good PC Driving games that's about middle range when it comes to realism?

Cockashocka fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 13, 2013

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I broke both my arms a few weeks ago. My dominant arm is going to need surgery and may be clumsy/unreliable for a while so I am looking for PC games, ideally on Steam or GoG, that are easy to play one-handed with the wrong hand, ideally:
Nothing that requires quick, precision clicking.
Nothing that requires two hands or a gamepad(the way my arm is immobilized means i cant hold one).
Replayability, as this is gonna be a while.

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cuntpunch posted:

I broke both my arms a few weeks ago. My dominant arm is going to need surgery and may be clumsy/unreliable for a while so I am looking for PC games, ideally on Steam or GoG, that are easy to play one-handed with the wrong hand, ideally:
Nothing that requires quick, precision clicking.
Nothing that requires two hands or a gamepad(the way my arm is immobilized means i cant hold one).
Replayability, as this is gonna be a while.

Any thoughts?

Both X-Com: Enemy Unknown and Civilization 5 fit that description. They can both be played entirely with the mouse and are turn-based so there's no time pressure. Plus they're notoriously addictive and replayable so if you like strategy games they'll hold your attention for a long, long time.