Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Episode 22. This loving show man.

Remember all those characters who died that you got to know? Well here's their families!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

E the Shaggy posted:

Episode 22. This loving show man.

Remember all those characters who died that you got to know? Well here's their families!

This is the Manga thread, though.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Pet theory is that titans were created as a ruthless way to solve an overpopulation problem. That got out of hand as they were indiscriminate, so human-titans were developed to combat Titans. Mankind got kind of antsy about how powerful human-titan warriors were and so made walls out of them (somehow, I don't know) as a human shield, keeping out both titan and human-titan alike until now. Sasquatch is one of the original seeders, creating titans out of humans to destroy more humans.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I am really shocked the anime thread hasn't picked up on more by now as that Second Op (As amazing and meticulous as it is) kinda spells a lot of things out.

Anyway I really don't think its overpopulation, that'd kinda a letdown and ridiculous even for this manga. One thing i do want to find out is how did Annie and the two of them first meet and was she always in the plan with them? Did the change happen because the third guy got killed? That makes it seem like Annie came around later on/recently. Was it supposed to be the four of them killing everybody? Sounds about right as Colossal and Armored Titan don't seem to be equipped for a lot of fighting, but for facilitation for getting in the walls in the first place. In other words both of them were designed/born specifically for getting that wall out of the way.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Shieldhill posted:

"Descendants of demons" was a rough translation of Bert swearing at Armin. Let's not spin any theories off that.

http://readms.com/r/attack_on_titan/49/2046/34
I know this is common in movies and stuff but a thin strip of cloth across the mouth does nothing to keep people quiet. It'll stop him from articulating words properly, sure, but he can still make a lot of noise and probably even bite himself.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Kild posted:

There's been some parallels between Levi and Mikasa, Armin and Erwin, but who is Eren's parallel? Some friend they lost a long time ago?
I'd say it's more Mikasa -> Levi, Armin -> Hanji, Eren -> Erwin, and that's more than just with respect to their talents/roles. Hanji and Armin are motivated by curiosity and a desire for freedom from the mundanity of wall life and don't feel any rage or hatred towards the titans. Neither has a desire for bloodshed, and while Armin may admire Pixis and Erwin from afar for their willingness to make sacrifices, but he's no leader and can't do the same.

Eren and Erwin, on the other hand, are both defined by bloodshed, as exemplified by their nonchalance towards extreme personal injury. Erwin is Eren with his emotions deadened, who has subverted both his rage towards the titans and his sense of camaraderie towards his soldiers.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
This seems appropriate:

I mean, that loving smile, holy hell:

That's the face of a man who knows exactly what he is doing, and what he is doing isn't very nice.

As much as I agree with comments about the overall art quality, the emotional quality of the facial expressions is something SnK excels at.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Everyone's theory is exactly the same and every chapter we seem to get a new wave of the same theory over and over. It's getting pretty boring.

That being said, I had a new idea - everyone likes linking the wall cult with the creation of titans, which the manga also somewhat suggests. Or at least more knowledge than your common folk. Who else seems to have expanded knowledge and a sudden desire to disappear and be hidden? Eren's dad. I bet he probably stole the serum from them or something.

Also, if they really cared about the wall giants, they have the largest wall under their control now, but haven't done anything. At least not yet. That might be a twist in the next few chapters.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
When I saw those titans being tossed about, I really thought it had been Bert losing it and just turning into the colossal titan. That would have been some panel, seeing it stand tall amidst all those tiny :shobon: titans.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vengarr posted:

This seems appropriate:

This is incredible.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 9, 2013

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Don't read this post.

Vengarr posted:

I mean, that loving smile, holy hell:

That's the face of a man who knows exactly what he is doing, and what he is doing isn't very nice.

I want you to feel as bad as I do, so let's all put our paranoia hats on and read chapter 2 again now.

Sorry Corals fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 9, 2013

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Wasn't Armin on one of the refugee boats when Chuckles was busy eating Eren's mom? C'mon.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is "Chuckles" now the accepted nickname for The Titan That Ate Eren's Mom?

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Begging me won't help! The wall gets kicked, he tells them to leave, and they run straight home.

Maybe in chapter 50 Armin will return from his second conspicuous absence and kill this particular tall-man himself and I'll have been red herringed real good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I always thought that him grabbing his shaking arm like that when he did seemed weird. If it turns out to be something more, welp,

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 9, 2013

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Armin Ate Eren's Mom is the dumbest theory if it becomes fact I am just done, man. I'm done.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
From the anime thread, a hilarious new theory I've not seen before:

Squidster posted:

Waaay back in the beginning of the show, when Annie is schooling Eren in hand to hand, she mentioned that her father taught her to fight. Given that the only two skinless Titans we've seen are Collossal and Female, my speculation is that the colossal titan is her dad, and that titan-forming is genetic.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why is this even a theory? Do people really have a hard time believing some titan just eats Eren's mom?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Why is this even a theory? Do people really have a hard time believing some titan just eats Eren's mom?

I'm pretty sure people are just playing up the joke from that theory one person came up with a while ago. If you can call it a theory.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
With Chapter 49, every member of the 104th Squad has had some degree of character development other than Mikasa (and Marco, but he's excused for being dead).

Eren: Has learnt that you shouldn't always trust in your comrades. Has shown moments of hesitation just before fighting Annie, Reiner and Bertholdt.

Armin: Has evolved from a whiny coward to a stone-cold hardass psychological manipulator.

Jean: Joined with military with self-centred motives. Eventually joined the Recon Squad despite the risks. Has been showing progressively stronger leadership qualities.

Sasha: Displayed cowardice in the face of Titans during the Trost supply tower fight. Subsequently, singlehandedly fought off a Titan at her village using an ordinary axe.

Connie: Appeared to be the dumbest of the top 10 recruits. Subsequently, displayed a significant degree of insight and eloquence in convincing Christa and Ymir to return to the city.

Christa: Her altruism is revealed to stem from a martyr complex. Has a secret identity and secret knowledge on the secret of the Titans / walls.

Ymir, Annie, Bertholdt and Reiner: Revealed to be human-titans with complicated motivations. Reiner in particular is downright divided between his "human soldier" and "Titan warrior" identities.

Mikasa: Started the series as being super-strong and super-devoted to Eren. Still super-strong and super-devoted to Eren.

I wonder when it'll be Mikasa's turn for some character development.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 9, 2013

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

JosephWongKS posted:

With Chapter 49, every member of the 104th Squad has had some degree of character development other than Mikasa (and Marco, but he's excused for being dead).

Mikasa did have some development in the period she felt Eren was dead during Trost, and after her attempt to kill the Female Titan in the Giant Forest led to Levi's injury, and I suspect she'll have some soon given that she appears to have been injured from being grabbed this chapter and so can't MurderBuddha her way out of danger like she's used to.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She needs to go back to being buddies with Sasha, the two times they interacted were hilarious.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

JosephWongKS posted:

Mikasa: Started the series as being super-strong and super-devoted to Eren. Still super-strong and super-devoted to Eren.

Does she really need it? Purity of character isn't necessarily a bad thing. Mikasa is always, reliably, two things: Loyal to Eren and Stone Cold Titan Killa. That is both her greatest strength and her biggest weakness.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

JosephWongKS posted:

She'll become more and more of a murdergoddess and less and less human during the upcoming 13-volume tournament arc.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I love how far Jean has come. Marco would be so proud. :3:

On Mikasa, it's implied she hesitated when trying to attack Bert and Reiner, so she's not single-mindedly focused on protecting Eren, just most of the time.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

DrSunshine posted:

She'll become more and more of a murdergoddess and less and less human during the upcoming 13-volume tournament arc.

The real kicker comes when she finds out her brain was a microchip the whole time :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Autumncomet posted:

I love how far Jean has come. Marco would be so proud. :3:

On Mikasa, it's implied she hesitated when trying to attack Bert and Reiner, so she's not single-mindedly focused on protecting Eren, just most of the time.

Hell, she was hesitating as of one chapter ago. For her, she was really loving patient with Bert when there was nothing stopping her from opening him up like a sardine can and just taking Eren back.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

DrSunshine posted:

That'll be the diplomatic solution for the Titan Faction and Human Government. "The Remainder of Our Top 10 vs. The Three from Our Top Ten That Were Actually Always on Your Side Plus Ymir and One Extra Guy to Make it Five on Five." Then it'll be Colossus Bert vs. Titan Eren where Bert has to stand on one foot because otherwise he'll get a ring out while Titan Eren is ineffectually punching him in the ankle. Christa will fight Ymir which will end in a hug where they run off into the sunset together, Mikasa will fight Annie for revenge about what happened in the forest, Armin will fight Reiner and convince him to punch himself in the face until he passes out, and Jean will fight the extra guy so he can complain about not even getting to fight a named guy. Connie and Sasha are the cheerleaders.

That would be stupid as hell, but I'd love to see it in one of Isayama's fake covers.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

onepixeljumpman posted:

Christa will fight Ymir which will end in a hug where they run off into the sunset together

Is there anyone who doesn't like the Christa/Ymir pairing? I'm in awe of Isayama's ability to write such a great romance in a setting as desperately bleak as Shingeki no Kyojin.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

JosephWongKS posted:

Is there anyone who doesn't like the Christa/Ymir pairing? I'm in awe of Isayama's ability to write such a great romance in a setting as desperately bleak as Shingeki no Kyojin.
Was kinda expecting that relationship to fall apart during Christa's capture, impressed me when it didn't go that route.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I just read upto the 6th book from Amazon. Does anyone know what chapter is that supposed to leave me off at (online it seems to be listed by chapter). Book 7 isn't out for another month, and i kind of want to know what happens now.

I saw a site listing chapter 32 as it the first chapter in book 7, but just looking at that right now seems really off.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

UberJumper posted:

I just read upto the 6th book from Amazon. Does anyone know what chapter is that supposed to leave me off at (online it seems to be listed by chapter). Book 7 isn't out for another month, and i kind of want to know what happens now.

I saw a site listing chapter 32 as it the first chapter in book 7, but just looking at that right now seems really off.
Wikipedia says 27 is the first chapter of book 7. Hopefully the English and original numbers line up.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Vincent Valentine posted:

Armin Ate Eren's Mom is the dumbest theory if it becomes fact I am just done, man. I'm done.
We can go dumber if you want; Eren's mom ate herself. There was no titan.

9/11 of the titans never forget.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Colossal and Armored are only gold? Bullshit.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

JosephWongKS posted:

Is "Chuckles" now the accepted nickname for The Titan That Ate Eren's Mom?

I'm going to call him Nice Armin since sure he might twist you in have then eat you but he's not that mean.

Future speculation they learn how to speak titan and Armin incapacitates them with brutal emotional manipulation so that Zero-G gear is replaced by awkwardly long ladders that take at least dozen people to move around.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

JosephWongKS posted:

From the anime thread, a hilarious new theory I've not seen before:

I was actually really impressed with that deduction because he's not too far off. Yes, we all know that Colossal is Bertholdt, that's not up to question.

But it's pretty safe to assume that Annie's dad is a titan. As Bertholdt and Annie are from the same village, it's entirely possible that Titans retain hereditary traits and maybe lack of skin is among them. That could mean Bertholdt and Annie are blood related somehow. It's helped by the fact that in the most recent chapter Bertholdt loses his loving mind when Annie being a prisoner is brought up. I'm not saying they're closely related as sister/brother or anything, but maybe distant cousins or something given their awkward not-really romance.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 30, 2017

Eskimodius
Sep 15, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I've actually seen people theorise that Monkey Titan is Annie's dad. If you look at them, their hair and (the area around their) eyes are kind of similar.

What keeps bothering me about the monkey titan is that he was surprised by three D gear, and yet the way he talked and was presented implied that hes been around, and is more important than any intelligent titan we've met yet. Personally I think he has nothing to do with the skinless village, and he certainly isn't someone we know...Assuming he was telling the truth about not knowing about mans most prolific/viable weapon against the titans.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Eskimodius posted:

What keeps bothering me about the monkey titan is that he was surprised by three D gear, and yet the way he talked and was presented implied that hes been around, and is more important than any intelligent titan we've met yet. Personally I think he has nothing to do with the skinless village, and he certainly isn't someone we know...Assuming he was telling the truth about not knowing about mans most prolific/viable weapon against the titans.

Hell maybe monkey titan is from the old world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Vincent Valentine posted:

I was actually really impressed with that deduction because he's not too far off. Yes, we all know that Colossal is Bertholdt, that's not up to question.

But it's pretty safe to assume that Annie's dad is a titan. As Bertholdt and Annie are from the same village, it's entirely possible that Titans retain hereditary traits and maybe lack of skin is among them. That could mean Bertholdt and Annie are blood related somehow. It's helped by the fact that in the most recent chapter Bertholdt loses his loving mind when Annie being a prisoner is brought up. I'm not saying they're closely related as sister/brother or anything, but maybe distant cousins or something given their awkward not-really romance.

If this manga taught us anything is that it's not safe to assume anything. And Bernie simply has a crush on Annie; I really really doubt they're related in any way.