Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Heads up for anyone who needs a Corsair RMA in Canada to make drat sure that they mark it as a warranty replacement in the customs form. UPS has been trying to charge me tax and their ridiculous brokerage since they say it's not marked as a warranty replacement anywhere on the parcel, and getting Corsair to contact UPS to fix the issue has been like pulling teeth. It's been sitting at a depot for three weeks, and Corsair's been dragging their feet with it. The previous person I spoke with told me to just pay the cost and I'd be reimbursed. I was about to go pick it up today, but I didn't see anything noted in the RMA ticket about reimbursement. I called in to confirm, and they told me that they don't see any notes saying to do that, and that they don't do any reimbursements like that.

All for two defective LEDs. Yeesh, if I knew it was going to take this long, I'd have just put up with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Illegal? No. Against the standard? Yes.

wa27 posted:

They put a Type-A plug on both ends? Isn't that illegal or something?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Social Media posted:

Has anyone owned a Type Heaven before? $150 for Topre switches would be great if the build quality were even OK.

I have tried one, I currently own a Realforce 86UB, and used to own an HHKB2 that was stolen. The TH style is apparently just using cheaper plastic (ABS) and thinner keycaps than the regular Realforces, so it drastically changes the feel and sound in comparison to other Topre boards. That being said, the whole appeal of most Topre boards is that they generally have a very solid "heavy and smooth brand new rubber dome" keyboard feel to them, FOREVER, and changing the material and feeling of the keys seems to gently caress with that recipe.

The good news is people are still pretty pleased with them, especially if they haven't hosed with a more solid Topre board. I tried it, it was ok, the key feeling was a lot less substantial than other boards I have tried, and I'm not a huge fan of fullsize, so I didn't hang onto it.

If you want Topre and the things I mentioned about the plastic/keys feeling different mattered, or you want a HHKB minimalist style board (without the hosed up layout) for less than $200 try the Leopold FC660C. I just ordered one and would love to give you direct impressions, but shipping takes forever to APO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8NoPjaeKiI

I like Topre, fee free to ask me stupid poo poo about Topre.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 9, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Longinus00 posted:

What other manufactures make full-size keyboards with the stealth look?
It's a pretty direct copy of the Filco Ninja. Which is awesome, but like all Filco stuff the US prices are excessive. There are a number of places to get mech switch keyboards with no lettering at all, such as Ducky, WASD, or Happy Hacking. (Also blank PBT sets are pretty cheap if you already have a cherry board.)

Front printed keycaps are nice, but the only real problem they solve is the wear and tear of lasered lettering on black ABS caps. Other than that they just look cool. For example, any keyboard with full backlighting does not have the same wear issues (they use doubleshot with translucent plastic).

KaneTW posted:

Illegal? No. Against the standard? Yes.
It's also really stupid because changing out the cord becomes a hassle. One of the few good things about the Rosewill's mini-usb jack is that I changed the cord out to a right-angle plug (actually a left-angle, but whatever). This way it gets less strain and the keyboard can be pushed flush against my monitor platform.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

wa27 posted:

They put a Type-A plug on both ends? Isn't that illegal or something?

Well, it's not a literal crime, but it should be. It definitely violates USB spec. No cable like that should exist. Why would you even want that when USB-B exists in full, mini and micro sizes? There are perfectly good connectors to choose from. Bizarre.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

Heads up for anyone who needs a Corsair RMA in Canada to make drat sure that they mark it as a warranty replacement in the customs form. UPS has been trying to charge me tax and their ridiculous brokerage since they say it's not marked as a warranty replacement anywhere on the parcel, and getting Corsair to contact UPS to fix the issue has been like pulling teeth. It's been sitting at a depot for three weeks, and Corsair's been dragging their feet with it. The previous person I spoke with told me to just pay the cost and I'd be reimbursed. I was about to go pick it up today, but I didn't see anything noted in the RMA ticket about reimbursement. I called in to confirm, and they told me that they don't see any notes saying to do that, and that they don't do any reimbursements like that.

All for two defective LEDs. Yeesh, if I knew it was going to take this long, I'd have just put up with it.

Well on the plus side when you have to RMA it again for more inevitable failures you'll know what to do.

The LEDS on the K70 are crap.

Edit: Or more likely the LEDs themselves are fine, and the boards are poorly constructed. The problem most people have is systematic LED failure.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 9, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

HalloKitty posted:

Well, it's not a literal crime, but it should be. It definitely violates USB spec. No cable like that should exist. Why would you even want that when USB-B exists in full, mini and micro sizes? There are perfectly good connectors to choose from. Bizarre.

Just curious...What's the reasoning on behind why this is so bad?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Aphrodite posted:

Well on the plus side when you have to RMA it again for more inevitable failures you'll know what to do.

The LEDS on the K70 are crap.

Edit: Or more likely the LEDs themselves are fine, and the boards are poorly constructed. The problem most people have is systematic LED failure.

LEDs are a very lovely electronic component and have ludicrously high failure rates regardless of supplier. There isn't an Alps of LEDs, or even an Alpha. They are more likely to fail, in my experience, than mechanical components. I am seriously reconsidering going through with the K95 RMA just on the grounds that I think I'd rather replace the loving keycaps than deal with another, virtually inevitable backlight failure. They're preinstalled from MX so there's no way to fix them when they break without a just massive amount of effort, and nobody has yet invented a way to validate them in very large batches for short to long term failure. You'll catch the ones that burn out immediately but unlike most every other basic component, light emitters are just majorly prone to loving up given a little time. They violate the general rule of "electronics are either DOA or they'll work forever." So it is, so it likely shall be. Just LEDs, too, diodes in general do not have this issue, ugh.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fookolt posted:

Just curious...What's the reasoning on behind why this is so bad?
Power is always supposed to flow A -> B on any USB connection, no matter the size format at each end. It prevents a case where two devices try to draw power from each other or push power at each other or similar. Not to mention potential confusion on the data side of things.

Basically with that cable you can connect two computers together via USB which isn't a good idea.

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.

HalloKitty posted:

Pretty sure the image is just a lovely mockup and what they actually mean is "full size B connector"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Tunga posted:

Basically with that cable you can connect two computers together via USB which isn't a good idea.

I like that this was probably a Top Five concern when designing the spec.

"How do we keep assholes from docking their PCs to each other?"

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Is there a reason you guys care about the LED lighting on your keyboards at all? I just bought the K70 myself but I am leaving the LED lighting off by default since I really do not find that they serve a purpose aside from being glaringly bright, even when set to the lowest setting.

In other news I think I may be thinking about buying the Corsair K65 just to see if I will ever end up missing the numpad.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Agrajag posted:

Is there a reason you guys care about the LED lighting on your keyboards at all? I just bought the K70 myself but I am leaving the LED lighting off by default since I really do not find that they serve a purpose aside from being glaringly bright, even when set to the lowest setting.

In other news I think I may be thinking about buying the Corsair K65 just to see if I will ever end up missing the numpad.

I strongly prefer the bright printed letters on my K60 to the dimmest backlight setting on my K95. I bought it for other features, but because of the way they're printed, visibility is somewhat low when the lights are off completely. It's unfortunate. A K95 with K60 keycaps would be fantastic and fine by me.

I care about it kinda out of principle, it's a component that's a selling point (whether I especially value that selling point or not) and it hosed up. That's on them to make right. But I also would be super happy if LEDs weren't a thing and I could just get a well made, nice keyboard with a very neat media control section, five polling rates for USB, effectively infinite key rollover (twenty keys is about ten more than I could ever even use, physically, for goodness' sake, but I've tested it and they're not loving around, it keeps sending commands all the way up to 20 + the shift/ctrl/alt etc.), and a great macro bank with now-mature software. Those are the features I really value, backlighting is actually kind of a nuisance for all the reasons mentioned.

I guess your eyesight is better than mine, or your lighting conditions, haha. To me, the keys on the K95 when non-backlit are on the especially dim side of visible and while I'm generally a touch typist and have been since I was a kid, every once in awhile I forget what one of the shift symbols is or I need to enter an alt code that I can't quite recall, or I lose my place - simple poo poo, really - and a quick glance downward fixes them immediately; so, I'd kind of like to be able to easily see my keys.

Looking into the price of nice, high visibility keycaps now, considering cannibalizing the K60's keys for most of the board minus the function keys, control group, macro bank and then having those printed up by WASD, or whether it'd be better to just go with a full WASD set (minus the space bar, which isn't especially visibly backlit anyway :v: it doesn't fit Corsair's boards).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

I care about it kinda out of principle, it's a component that's a selling point (whether I especially value that selling point or not) and it hosed up. That's on them to make right. But I also would be super happy if LEDs weren't a thing and I could just get a well made, nice keyboard with a very neat media control section, five polling rates for USB, effectively infinite key rollover (twenty keys is about ten more than I could ever even use, physically, for goodness' sake, but I've tested it and they're not loving around, it keeps sending commands all the way up to 20 + the shift/ctrl/alt etc.), and a great macro bank with now-mature software. Those are the features I really value, backlighting is actually kind of a nuisance for all the reasons mentioned.
I'm hoping the Roccat Ryos is going to tick these boxes. The basic model has no LEDs but is otherwise identical to the high-end models.

Actually what I'm mostly hoping is that they actually release it in the UK.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Tunga posted:

I'm hoping the Roccat Ryos is going to tick these boxes. The basic model has no LEDs but is otherwise identical to the high-end models.

Actually what I'm mostly hoping is that they actually release it in the UK.

I have got to say; I can never go to another brand, after laying eyes on Corsair and the industrial design of their keyboards. They have the cleanest, no-nonsense, looking keyboards out of every other manufacturer I have seen. The brushed aluminium does help a lot with the industrial design look. Every other brand is either bare bones and made out of plastic or designed with a bunch of funky looking shapes and weird placement/sizes of keys. Also, you will never have to worry about getting debris stuck in between the keys because they are not indented into the body.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 10, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Agrajag posted:

I have got to say; I can never go to another brand, after laying eyes on Corsair and the industrial design of their keyboards. They have the cleanest, no-nonsense, looking keyboards out of every other manufacturer I have seen. The brushed aluminium does help a lot with the industrial design look. Every other brand is either bare bones and made out of plastic or designed with a bunch of funky looking shapes and weird placement/sizes of keys. Also, you will never have to worry about getting debris stuck in between the keys because they are not indented into the body.

Yeah, the list of "pros" is awesome, I just wish they had a non backlit version of their best products because honestly that is a dumb feature and just makes them vastly more failure prone :cry: I don't want to lose all the awesome benefits and the really robust macro functionality and all that, y'know? The nearest competition just isn't there in terms of features. Backlighting is who cares, except when one goes out and I can't see the damned key because the ones around it are blinding me :argh:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Agreed posted:

Yeah, the list of "pros" is awesome, I just wish they had a non backlit version of their best products because honestly that is a dumb feature and just makes them vastly more failure prone :cry: I don't want to lose all the awesome benefits and the really robust macro functionality and all that, y'know? The nearest competition just isn't there in terms of features. Backlighting is who cares, except when one goes out and I can't see the damned key because the ones around it are blinding me :argh:

To me it sounds like you handicapped yourself by relying on backlit keys for a long time. :smug: Otherwise, you can go with your own suggestion of cannibalizing the keys from another Corsair model with a more visually distinguishable lettering.

I myself never understood the fascination with adding LED's to computer electronics by the manufacturers. Like mice, case fans, etc.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 10, 2013

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TX297 posted:

Pretty sure the image is just a lovely mockup and what they actually mean is "full size B connector"

Nope, I have the Quickfire XT and the cord is just as depicted there. I found it a little bizarre, but I didn't realize it wasn't to spec or whatever.

The bigger issue I have with it is that the cord goes straight into the plug, and there aren't any grooves or anything to slot the cord into for relieving stress on the connector. No issues so far, but something yanking the cord the wrong way could easily bust the keyboard.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Agrajag posted:

To me it sounds like you handicapped yourself by relying on backlit keys for a long time. :smug: Otherwise, you can go with your own suggestion of cannibalizing the keys from another Corsair model with a more visually distinguishable lettering.

Nope, had it around a month. Hence it being their problem. They're covering shipping and sending the replacement via air. Also your smug knob is on 9, dial it back to 3-4 to best associate with other people who also enjoy shooting the poo poo about the nerdiest peripherals of all, deal? :)

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Agreed posted:

Nope, had it around a month. Hence it being their problem. They're covering shipping and sending the replacement via air. Also your smug knob is on 9, dial it back to 3-4 to best associate with other people who also enjoy shooting the poo poo about the nerdiest peripherals of all, deal? :)

I meant to be sarcastic, but it probably didn't come across as such. Sorry.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Agrajag posted:

I meant to be sarcastic, but it probably didn't come across as such. Sorry.

No big deal, I just misinterpreted your meaning I'm sure. The big problem is that it's such a "gamer" feature on a board that is so very not "gamery" at all otherwise. Well, I guess the Reds, but really, they're just nice keys to type on :kiddo:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Klyith posted:

It's a pretty direct copy of the Filco Ninja. Which is awesome, but like all Filco stuff the US prices are excessive. There are a number of places to get mech switch keyboards with no lettering at all, such as Ducky, WASD, or Happy Hacking. (Also blank PBT sets are pretty cheap if you already have a cherry board.)

Front printed keycaps are nice, but the only real problem they solve is the wear and tear of lasered lettering on black ABS caps. Other than that they just look cool. For example, any keyboard with full backlighting does not have the same wear issues (they use doubleshot with translucent plastic).

It's also really stupid because changing out the cord becomes a hassle. One of the few good things about the Rosewill's mini-usb jack is that I changed the cord out to a right-angle plug (actually a left-angle, but whatever). This way it gets less strain and the keyboard can be pushed flush against my monitor platform.

I definitely am interested in this style purely for the look as otherwise I'd just buy a Rosewill when they occasionally go on sale (I might just do that anyway). The reason the CM interested me is exactly because it's likely to be much much cheaper than the ninja. I suppose if the only options are an expensive filco and a much cheaper (with an out of spec usb connection) CM I'll just wait for the CM then.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Coxswain Balls posted:

Nope, I have the Quickfire XT and the cord is just as depicted there. I found it a little bizarre, but I didn't realize it wasn't to spec or whatever.

The bigger issue I have with it is that the cord goes straight into the plug, and there aren't any grooves or anything to slot the cord into for relieving stress on the connector. No issues so far, but something yanking the cord the wrong way could easily bust the keyboard.

I like how the one I had typed random poo poo when the cable exerted pressure on the connector.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Tunga posted:

Power is always supposed to flow A -> B on any USB connection, no matter the size format at each end. It prevents a case where two devices try to draw power from each other or push power at each other or similar. Not to mention potential confusion on the data side of things.

Thanks for the great explanation!

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Weird, I wonder why they'd think that's a good idea. Bigger plug + non-molded cable routing = premature solder joint death on a movable peripheral, which is exactly the problem with the Rosewills (but with a stiff stock cable rather than a bigger plug).

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Wasabi the J posted:

If you want Topre and the things I mentioned about the plastic/keys feeling different mattered, or you want a HHKB minimalist style board (without the hosed up layout) for less than $200 try the Leopold FC660C. I just ordered one and would love to give you direct impressions, but shipping takes forever to APO.

I got an FC660MC (Cherry MX version) with Cherry Blues a little while ago, I like it a lot and absolutely no complaints yet. It's a really good layout in my opinion, and the keyboard is really really solid feeling.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
After flirting with disaster for years, I finally knocked my coke into my keyboard. It (was) a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, old blue style. The switches must be soldered off, which I can't / won't do in order to clean them out and maybe fix the sticking. Any suggestions for a new one? Must be mechanical, back-lit, non glossy finish, and have on the fly macros. In case any one attempts to convince me "how easy it is to clean, disassemble, etc" I want a new one, and this is my excuse.

Arione fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 10, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arione posted:

Any suggestions for a new one? Must be mechanical, back-lit, non glossy finish, and have on the fly macros.
Corsair K95 (red)
Logitech G710+ (brown)
Another Razer Blackwidow (blue, brown)
Wait for the new Cooler Master MECH (red, brown, green)

Of those I think the K95 is the best, but its red switches are about as different from the blues you had as is possible to get. Corsair is making some non-red versions of the K series at some point, but nobody knows how soon they'll actually show up.

quote:

In case any one attempts to convince me "how easy it is to clean, disassemble, etc" I want a new one, and this is my excuse.
Nope, Coke is pretty much the ultimate killer of electronics. Liquid + acidic + sticky is just horrible. If you were trying to fix it, my only suggestion would be full immersion in a bath of hot water, then drying it out fully. And then probably repeating the process to get the last bits of goo out.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

Logitech G710+ (brown)
Unfortunately, the plastic right around the main keys is glossy, so depending on how picky Arione is, it's not a good pick.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
so my Logitech MX 5500 Revolution Desktop died again, 4th time in 4 years and Logitech will not give me a 4th RMA due to it now being past the 3 year warranty of the original set (even though technically this current keyboard and mouse combo is less than a year old). So gently caress logitech.

After some research yesterday I ended up ordering a K70 (black/red with cherry red) and a M65 mouse to match. I've alwasy had good expereinces with Corsair so I hope I did ok ordering those two components. Haven't used a mechanical keyboard in 20 years and no real way to test thing sout first so I hope the Red is ok.

Did I make any mistakes? Was able to pricematch and get the keyboard for 109.99 and mouse for 59.99 which seemed pretty fair. (local company could have gotten me a ducky shine 3 for 149.99 but I didn't love the looks of it and that seemed like a lot of money)

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Hardtarget posted:

so my Logitech MX 5500 Revolution Desktop died again, 4th time in 4 years and Logitech will not give me a 4th RMA due to it now being past the 3 year warranty of the original set (even though technically this current keyboard and mouse combo is less than a year old). So gently caress logitech.

After some research yesterday I ended up ordering a K70 (black/red with cherry red) and a M65 mouse to match. I've alwasy had good expereinces with Corsair so I hope I did ok ordering those two components. Haven't used a mechanical keyboard in 20 years and no real way to test thing sout first so I hope the Red is ok.

Did I make any mistakes? Was able to pricematch and get the keyboard for 109.99 and mouse for 59.99 which seemed pretty fair. (local company could have gotten me a ducky shine 3 for 149.99 but I didn't love the looks of it and that seemed like a lot of money)

That's a good deal for the K70 (which I own and love it). I don't know much about mice nowadays but I can say you're good to go on the keyboard.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

evensevenone posted:

I got an FC660MC (Cherry MX version) with Cherry Blues a little while ago, I like it a lot and absolutely no complaints yet. It's a really good layout in my opinion, and the keyboard is really really solid feeling.

But yours doesn't have a good feeling of oneness with cup rubber. :colbert:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Hardtarget posted:

I've only owned the K70 approximately 1 week, but I can say that I love this keyboard. Typing on MX Cherry-Reds can take some getting used to; as you will be prone to pushing the wrong keys with their low actuation force, but it is oh so nice to type on.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
Quick question, I had asked the Keyboard thread over at the PA forums for advice and today when I posted that I ended up getting a k70 this was the first reply:

quote:

I don't wanna be a bad guy, but the corsairs are very bad. Don't buy them.
Get a ducky, a Filco, a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid, a TT eSports Meka G1, anything
but not the K70.
Basically nobody over there has a k70 or k95, it seems like a lot of them tried the k60 and got burned by it (apparently it wasn't fully mechanical and had a lot of other problems that the k70 fixes?) and are still turned off of the corsair range because of it.

Anything I need to worry about?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Hardtarget posted:

Quick question, I had asked the Keyboard thread over at the PA forums for advice and today when I posted that I ended up getting a k70 this was the first reply:

Basically nobody over there has a k70 or k95, it seems like a lot of them tried the k60 and got burned by it (apparently it wasn't fully mechanical and had a lot of other problems that the k70 fixes?) and are still turned off of the corsair range because of it.

Anything I need to worry about?

Nope. Read the last two pages for a bunch of bitching about LEDs in general, and know that they are the most likely point of failure; apart from that they're well-constructed, have competitive (and in some cases best-in-class features, like their rollover tech, polling mode options on the upper tier models, great macro banks on the K95) easy to keep clean if that's a concern; they have a USB pass-through which is pretty nifty if you have any peripherals you'd like to keep closer than your case.

The K60 and K90 on release had an issue with fading keycaps (caught quickly and fixed), and the Esc-F12 and control group are dome rather than mech (macro bank dome rather than mech on the K90 too). This was explained as a feature to allow them to place them lower but nobody really bought it so they came out with the newer versions that are fully mechanical. Some people haven't gotten over that and might still hold a grudge, I guess, but they are competitive, well-made keyboards.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
ya I just got finished reading the last couple pages and then saw your post and am now feeling a lot better. The local shop I ordered from has the keyboard ready for me to pick up but the mouse is going to take a day extra to ship from their warehouse so I may just make two trips as I really wanna try out this keyboard.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, other than the very minor LED issue and the RMA issue caused by a customs screwup, I'm very happy with my K70. The actual keyboard part has been rock solid, and it does the media functions best out of any mech keyboard out there, in my opinion.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Yeah, sliding that knurled aluminum volume knob is pretty cool compared to just a volume up/down button set. I mean, any media keys can work, can be made to work - but these are really nice. Not the reason to get a Corsair board, but a nice bonus.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
In further Corsair news, the brown & black switch versions of the K70 are now on Newegg with "Release Date: 09/16/2013".

Agreed posted:

This was explained as a feature to allow them to place them lower
That was the thing, they were way more expensive than other mechanical keyboards and Corsair saving a few bucks on 22 non-mechanical keys didn't really change that. It was a really stupid decision: if you're going to sell a high end product people don't want to be reminded of a cut corner every time they press F5 to reload a webpage.

They're still substantially more expensive; the alternatives from CM & Rosewill, even the fully backlit ones, frequently go on sale at $75 or less. They're the luxury option, but for the extra money you get dedicated media keys and good looks. Personally I go the other direction because I'm about to get a second board with different switches for about the same total cost as the K70 initially came out for. But that's a completely subjective choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

Corsair boards do look great but they only make Cherry Red keyboards (in UK layout).

If I was buying a keyboard for work I'd definitely get something more "straight" looking. But for my PC at home something huge and gamer-y actually fits right in. I'm not into paying for LED screens and worthless crap like that but I don't mind a wrist rest and some macro keys.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 11, 2013

• Locked thread