Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I've said it before, but if 9 gets all this money and the game just has 8 boss stages and 4 castle stages I'm going to be annoyed and not buy it. It's the big megaman formula but there's a lot of successful platformers out with tons of levels that I could play instead.

But number of levels tells you nothing about their length...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Or their quality.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Yeah, having really long levels doesn't exactly translate into being good or tolerable. As much as I liked Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, it quickly got to a point where the stages were just too long for their own good.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

diadem posted:

Any idea the best way to get a hold of a mod to get approval to post about Alteil: Horizons on /Games itself?

PMs are probably best, asking in this thread probably a reasonable alternative if you don't have PMs.

On the subject of your game, the initial line you dropped here filled me with hope that you might be the long-awaited Pox Nora replacement from an unexpected source but instead I am seeing yet another dumb 3x3 grid and pictures of cards. Can you talk a little more about how the range stuff you mentioned is going to work? Are we looking at any sort of real complexity in terms of positioning/area of effect and such or is it a lane style thing? Why do people making computer games keep thinking that pictures of cards is the way to go?

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Irony.or.Death posted:

PMs are probably best, asking in this thread probably a reasonable alternative if you don't have PMs.

On the subject of your game, the initial line you dropped here filled me with hope that you might be the long-awaited Pox Nora replacement from an unexpected source but instead I am seeing yet another dumb 3x3 grid and pictures of cards. Can you talk a little more about how the range stuff you mentioned is going to work? Are we looking at any sort of real complexity in terms of positioning/area of effect and such or is it a lane style thing? Why do people making computer games keep thinking that pictures of cards is the way to go?

Good questions. This is a sequel to a game that's been around for ten years, so it's easy for us to make assumptions of what people already know because it's part of our daily lives. The game is very deep but newer card games are quite the opposite so we need to remember that as we advertise. Asking this helped us more than you know.

I'll ask Logress (our lead GM) to have a more in depth how to video of the game. Would providing a link to http://cards.apocoplay.com/ to give context have helped, or should we really go in more detail to that? Does the video on the page clarify your questions or does it still leave you wanting for more?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The card list there is better than nothing, but between it and the pitch video it's still hard to say whether the game isn't shown off well or the game just isn't interesting to me. Likewise, you pitch video spends a lot of time on stuff I don't really care about (who your famous artists are) and while it at least mentions some things your game does differently it doesn't do much to show me why I should care about them. Like, okay, day-night cycle; that's novel for a card game. Is the impact of this big enough to dictate how you'll want to play a turn, or just small numerical bonuses? How fast is it? Likewise, just saying that your entire deck is available from the start - okay, that's a big difference, but is it good? You're sacrificing a huge amount of design space to avoid that element of luck, so I need to be sold on this as a cool and interesting feature. Formations - just saying stick your melee in front and your archers behind them is boring, show me why this matters and how you can manipulate it or get around it.

If the game is far enough along to support it, I think you'd benefit a lot from having something like a sample match video between a couple team members to give a better sense of how all these pieces fit together and make for interesting decisions in play.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Just saw this in my game blogs feed:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/combitstudios/river-city-ransom-underground

Licensed sequel to River City Ransom. They actually went and got the licence to make this. And the video has GAMEPLAY.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I've said it before, but if 9 gets all this money and the game just has 8 boss stages and 4 castle stages I'm going to be annoyed and not buy it. It's the big megaman formula but there's a lot of successful platformers out with tons of levels that I could play instead.
What are you expecting them to add? "More" isn't always better - and for a tight game like mega man, odds are good it'd make it way worse.

I'd like them to add maybe a zero mode, things to change it up, boss rush, whatever - but more actual levels? Eeeh.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And since when has megaman ever been about more levels. It's formula has been 8 levels, 4 stages of wily/fortress and as always been.

You know what happen when we got long levels?

We got Megaman x6 and x7.

gently caress that poo poo.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Just more stages. That you don't have to play all of to progress. More CAN be better. Admittedly the platformers I'm thinking of are just platformers and don't have running and gunning, but people already complain about game length for longer sloggier genres.

Basically I've been playing rayman legends and I like how there are lots of stages and you don't have to play all the ones in the first level to get to later more fun levels, but can still have them for later. I really enjoyed rayman origins. I played full price for both and got more than my money's worth from them.

And no, longer stages that you have to play for a full hour plus without any way of saving progress is not an acceptable solution.

Yes there's been a formula that was established from the limitations of an eight bit system. Obviously that will always work and never needs to be rethought, and nes graphics worked back then and they should work now.

I do know they just have a small team and a timescale. They also have millions of dollars of funding, lots of experience and creativity, and no meddling suits. If it has only twelve stages I understand, but I won't spend over fifteen for it.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 9, 2013

Wendell
May 11, 2003

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Licensed sequel to River City Ransom. They actually went and got the licence to make this. And the video has GAMEPLAY.

I would like it if this was successful.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
River City Ransom is cool and all, but do we really need another one? I can barely play the original for more than half an hour before getting bored. Beat 'em ups just aren't that interesting, are they?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hey I decided to check and see how Project Phoenix is doing since the funding period is ending soon. Did they add new stretch goals or has everything past the $1,650,000 mark always been there?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hey I decided to check and see how Project Phoenix is doing since the funding period is ending soon. Did they add new stretch goals or has everything past the $1,650,000 mark always been there?

I'm not sure when exactly they were added, but they weren't there originally.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Khanstant posted:

River City Ransom is cool and all, but do we really need another one? I can barely play the original for more than half an hour before getting bored. Beat 'em ups just aren't that interesting, are they?
Judging by how many of us loved Scott Pilgrim despite its design actually being kind of subpar - yeah, I'd say they're interesting. I'd love to see that succeed.

... but $180k? I can't see them hitting that, even remotely. It's great that they have the IP, but what they're showing minus that IP would be hard pressed to hit even $100k. It looks awesome, but that's within spitting distance of the initial ask for Massive Chalice, and these guys don't have that kind of cachet.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 9, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Khanstant posted:

The genre was one of my favorites growing up, and I'd argue a lot of them hold up rather well (River City Ransom, Streets of Rage 2, Final Fight 2, Die Hard Arcade, and more recently Double Dragon Neon). It's not like there isn't any room for the genre to evolve. And multiplayer in those games always made for a good, if simplistic, time to be had. And really, River City Ransom was ahead of its time in the genre, with a large interconnected world, an inventory system with several places to shop, a large diversity of individual items to purchase, and stat improvements and ability unlocks with said items that weren't just equipment. I was kind of surprised there weren't many other games released afterward that tried to expand on the concept, and we ended up with more Final Fight-alikes (even if I do enjoy those kind of games).

I never got around to actually buying that Scott Pilgrim game, even though I thought the demo was alright, but there has to be a market for that kind of thing with the actual River City Ransom license. I dunno if it'll be good, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Irony.or.Death posted:

The card list there is better than nothing, but between it and the pitch video it's still hard to say whether the game isn't shown off well or the game just isn't interesting to me. Likewise, you pitch video spends a lot of time on stuff I don't really care about (who your famous artists are) and while it at least mentions some things your game does differently it doesn't do much to show me why I should care about them. Like, okay, day-night cycle; that's novel for a card game. Is the impact of this big enough to dictate how you'll want to play a turn, or just small numerical bonuses? How fast is it? Likewise, just saying that your entire deck is available from the start - okay, that's a big difference, but is it good? You're sacrificing a huge amount of design space to avoid that element of luck, so I need to be sold on this as a cool and interesting feature. Formations - just saying stick your melee in front and your archers behind them is boring, show me why this matters and how you can manipulate it or get around it.

If the game is far enough along to support it, I think you'd benefit a lot from having something like a sample match video between a couple team members to give a better sense of how all these pieces fit together and make for interesting decisions in play.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm asking people to a battle between two people online. Our biggest problem is that there really is a lot to the game and people could go on for hours about range alone, which to be honest is just a small mechanic among many. From a high level, you think of a general theme for your army and pit it against other people.

The effect of a mechanic depends on the strategy. For example, if you are playing an evil warewolf deck, your units are pretty much useless during the day but are ridiculously powerful at night. This requires a lot of timing and careful placement but has a hug reward. There are some spells that change the time of day to give one player or another an advantage. A lot of unread reginalive abilities only work in the dark as well.

This is just one mechanic among many, though. Take the mermaid decks as example. These guys are powerful because they lower the enemy agility, as it simulates battle under water. My units technically have better overall stats, but since units go in order agility it's possible for weaker mermaid units to gang up on my more powerful units as they enter the field one at a time. In this case rang would come into play because I could put a tank in the front line and my heavy hitters in the second row. My tanks would die by the time it's my turn but my heavy hitters would suddenly be in range because there's only a corpse between them and the mermaids when it's their turn.

edit: my team loved your reply. If you do back it, send me a message and i'll give you a free upgrade to the next non-limited level if you want as thanks.

edit2: Is it ok if this gameplay is from the old engine?

diadem fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 9, 2013

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The video for this is the most annoying Kickstarter pitch I've seen to date. The gameplay looks good but the rest of it was awful.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

diadem posted:

edit2: Is it ok if this gameplay is from the old engine?

With the obvious caveat that I'm not in marketing and speaking only for myself here, I'd be totally happy to see something from the old engine. As for trying to show off a complex game in reasonably compact video form - yeah, no question it's tough. My again unqualified advice would be to have whoever plays the sample game focus on talking about the bits they think are still especially interesting after being fans of the game for such a long time; while there might be a lot to say about range, most of it is probably familiar to you guys by now and my suspicion is that the familiar bits are going to be less interesting to novices too. So, less "I'm deploying this archer to shoot at his guys in the back" and more "I'm hoping to bait him into attacking this thing so he's out of position next turn and I can counter with X, which works well because Y" sort of thing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cerevisiae posted:

The video for this is the most annoying Kickstarter pitch I've seen to date. The gameplay looks good but the rest of it was awful.

They managed to take "oh I didn't see you there" and make it worse. I want to back this and see it happen but 180k is unlikely and the pitch just makes the developers seem like a bunch of tools.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Goddamn the animation in River City Ransom is fantastic. It both keeps the overall look of the original and adds articulation and smoothness that an NES era game could never have. Neat.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shindragon posted:

And since when has megaman ever been about more levels. It's formula has been 8 levels, 4 stages of wily/fortress and as always been.

You know what happen when we got long levels?

We got Megaman x6 and x7.

gently caress that poo poo.

The weird thing is that I think the first MM game that is 8 stages and 4 Wily stages is MM9.

MM3 thru MM6 bookended with 2 castles, 2 had 6 Wily stages, 7 & 8 had an extra intermission stages.

Also another good case in Rock man & Forte. You fight 5 bosses in the final level. It isn't even the obligatory boss rush.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 9, 2013

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Irony.or.Death posted:

With the obvious caveat that I'm not in marketing and speaking only for myself here, I'd be totally happy to see something from the old engine. As for trying to show off a complex game in reasonably compact video form - yeah, no question it's tough. My again unqualified advice would be to have whoever plays the sample game focus on talking about the bits they think are still especially interesting after being fans of the game for such a long time; while there might be a lot to say about range, most of it is probably familiar to you guys by now and my suspicion is that the familiar bits are going to be less interesting to novices too. So, less "I'm deploying this archer to shoot at his guys in the back" and more "I'm hoping to bait him into attacking this thing so he's out of position next turn and I can counter with X, which works well because Y" sort of thing.

Thank you so much yet again! My team is already working to do that :).

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Evil Fluffy posted:

They managed to take "oh I didn't see you there" and make it worse. I want to back this and see it happen but 180k is unlikely and the pitch just makes the developers seem like a bunch of tools.

That pitch really really is awkward.

The gameplay looks awesome though, but even Kicktraq (which is terrible for tracking projects) has it trending toward 87%.
During the first day.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Whoever was worried about Video Games Live Level 3, it's gotten $23k over the last day. It's looking it might just be able to power through the goal. Tallarico also debuted a Super Mario World arrangement he wants to try to get permission from Nintendo for in this update.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Great Rumbler posted:

I'm not sure when exactly they were added, but they weren't there originally.

I don't really know why they bothered, they're all ludicrously optimistic. Unless they're planning to do a Star Citizen, and keep taking donations during development, but even then...

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kerzoro posted:

... say, what's Desura? the e-mail makes it sound like a Steam-like platform?

Also, I have to say I'm surprised that the Video Games Live: Level 3! campaign has yet to reach its goal. I was under the impression VGL was pretty popular?

Judging from the quality of the VGL I attended last year (read: crappy crap) they shouldn't get a dime. The music was provided by a cheap local orchestra that was one step removed from a high school band.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

Judging from the quality of the VGL I attended last year (read: crappy crap) they shouldn't get a dime. The music was provided by a cheap local orchestra that was one step removed from a high school band.
Strange, I went to the VGL done by the Seattle Symphony a year and a half ago and it was fantastic.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'm shocked, these guys actually have video game programming experience. So... it's at least a way better campaign than Bad Dudes 2 was.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Kenshin posted:

Strange, I went to the VGL done by the Seattle Symphony a year and a half ago and it was fantastic.
Same, I went to the VGL in Lisbon and it was awesome. Maybe you just had bad luck.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I threw in enough for a game. If they made something like Shadowrun Returns along the lines of a beat-em up construction set, I'd have chipped in a thousand.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

In other news: Paypal is loving over another successful Indiegogo campaign

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
PayPal really is the worst.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I don't know why they even bothered. They're not going to hit $1m, let alone four million. Did they think they'd get $3 million dollars in the next 48 hours?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Project Phoenix KS was a big clusterfuck where they threw out their pitch and never tried to lure people in beyond that.

They could've made bank on name recognition alone, but nope. Not a single update worth a drat.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
It really was mismanaged. There's no real reason that a game with that many RPG veterans should not be raking in cash hand over fist.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kenshin posted:

It came to Orlando a couple years ago, and as awesome as it was, it was kind of annoying that the guy running the whole thing kept coming out and was just like doing whole songs on his guitar. He wasn't bad or anything but I came to hear the orchestra play the video game songs, not to have this one guy play his guitar during like half the show. So the orchestra sounded great, but that kind of soured me on the only VGL I've seen. A friend of mine who went to one a few years prior to that said it was a lot better because he didn't come out at all and they played stuff from more games.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

That is super hosed up, and it's worse since PayPal is actively aware of what's going on and is still being a dick if you read the update.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It really was mismanaged. There's no real reason that a game with that many RPG veterans should not be raking in cash hand over fist.

I think the worst part is where they aren't even able to talk about some of their core team members but still feel the need to brag about them. I have some vague idea of who might be the artist with the alias but surely they'd do better if they could just tell people who he is publicly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm not interested in Yatagarasu in the slightest, but that still pisses me off. In what world does not releasing development funds until development of the game is over make sense? They can't develop it if they don't have the money to pay their employees!