Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Aliens Infestation is honestly one of the crappier Wayforward games and was clearly one of their lower-effort products.

Still way better than Colonial Marines though.

Hell, at this point we could skip to this discussion's logical conclusion say Ping Pals was better than Colonial Marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shantae 3DS trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzIxD2DJfpc

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of September 12):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara - €14.99 / £11.99
    Toki Tori 2+ (update)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Mario Bros. (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop, get Wonderful 101 on the eShop for 30% off! - ends September 21
    Toki Tori 2+ - €8.99 / £7.79 from September 12-19

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Sonic Generations - €24.99 / £19.99
3DS eSHOP
    Secrets of the Titanic 1912-2012 - €10.99 / £9.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    ?

(SMB is the US version; they also mentioned a "special upgrade price" for people who transfer from Wii, but I think they're just plugging the Wii/Wii U transfer process for people who are still unaware.)

Toki Tori 2+ is an update that adds all the tweaks/improvements that were added for the PC version. Buy it if you haven't already, it's a fantastic game.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 10, 2013

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Any behind the scenes word on Flipnote 3D? I know it's just been a month, but I'm getting kind of anxious to see it so close to release and then no news. I don't want it to be another brain training 3DS.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Any behind the scenes word on Flipnote 3D? I know it's just been a month, but I'm getting kind of anxious to see it so close to release and then no news. I don't want it to be another brain training 3DS.

Hell, it's been in development hell before. It was originally announced as Flipnote Memo in 2011.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Shelf Adventure posted:

Last I heard Nintendo panicked when it turned out to be MEGA popular in Japan. It was so popular their servers were severely overloaded and the European release was close, so they said "please understand" and closed the hatch. Haven't heard another peep after that.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL update (week of September 12)

Not that I care about whatever the hell "Secrets of the Titanic 1912-2012" is, but is that price correct? 11€ and £1? Even for Europe, that seems absurd if true.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Typo.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gotcha. I hope regular 3DS sales will come back. I'm surprised they even lasted this long considering :nintendo:, but I'll be happy to see them come back in some form.

I'm also fascinated that this late in the year they haven't released the new Brain Training game on the eShop at the very least. It's a finished product; if NOE doesn't want to print copies at least make it available digitally. It's just a waste.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes, Atlus will be releasing a demo for Etrian Odyssey Untold (the EO1 remake) on September 16. In their words, "The Etrian Odyssey Untold demo for the Nintendo 3DS system will let players explore the series' new Story Mode and experience the first few dungeon levels". No idea if it lets you transfer your data to the full game like with the EO4 demo, or if it lets you try the classic mode.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Joysound karaoke app for Wii U will be out in Europe on October 4, so says the NOE Twitter. They've updated the website (click), here's the basic tl;dr:

-Free to download, comes with a free one-hour trial ticket
-Works on a subscription-based system, where you purchase "tickets" that give you access to the library for varying lengths of time (1 hour/24 hours/30 days)
-Library includes "1500 songs, with more to come"; you can browse the library without buying a ticket
-Supports USB mics as well as the in-built Gamepad mic

The site doesn't have the song library listed anywhere, nor does it list the price of the tickets.

EDIT: apparently the Wind Waker console bundle is gonna include a 7-day trial ticket, too.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 11, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Rexroom posted:

Last I heard Nintendo panicked when it turned out to be MEGA popular in Japan. It was so popular their servers were severely overloaded and the European release was close, so they said "please understand" and closed the hatch. Haven't heard another peep after that.

Is it possible it might end up cancelled?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Two quick questions. One, how can I tell if a particular Nintendo Zone is actually set up as a Streetpass relay? I presume they have to put some specific hardware there, not just have a properly attuned wifi router?

Two, if I get Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, is there an order you'd recommend playing them in? I know that, for instance, Resident Evil 2 gave different experiences on its two possible route orders, and some would argue one of them is more satisfying than the other.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

FredMSloniker posted:

Two, if I get Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, is there an order you'd recommend playing them in? I know that, for instance, Resident Evil 2 gave different experiences on its two possible route orders, and some would argue one of them is more satisfying than the other.

Play Seasons then ask for a refund on Ages

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
I personally think seasons is the weaker of the two but they are both good games. I would say play them in any order you like.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FredMSloniker posted:

One, how can I tell if a particular Nintendo Zone is actually set up as a Streetpass relay? I presume they have to put some specific hardware there, not just have a properly attuned wifi router?

Nintendo does all the updates on their end, they don't have to switch any hardware. You can turn your own router into a Nintendo Zone hotspot if you really want to. It does require people to update the firmware on their 3DS, however, so if it feels like you're not getting any more hits from your local Nintendo Zone it could be that other people haven't updated their firmware.

It can take up to a minute to get Streetpass Relay data from a Nintendo Zone hotspot, according to the recent Iwata Asks article.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo does all the updates on their end, they don't have to switch any hardware. You can turn your own router into a Nintendo Zone hotspot if you really want to.

Huh. I thought I'd read that they specifically said that fiddling with your router wouldn't give you access to Streetpass Relay.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

FredMSloniker posted:

Huh. I thought I'd read that they specifically said that fiddling with your router wouldn't give you access to Streetpass Relay.

Nintendo isn't so good with this whole internet thing.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

FredMSloniker posted:

If you plan on getting Link Between Worlds, I would hold off on getting Seasons. Assuming you're American, apparently preordering from Gamestop and picking the game up at launch gets you an Oracle of Seasons download voucher. :iiam:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of September 12):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara - €14.99 / £11.99
    Toki Tori 2+ (update)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Mario Bros. (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop, get Wonderful 101 on the eShop for 30% off! - ends September 21
    Toki Tori 2+ (Wii U eShop) - €8.99 / £7.79 until September 19

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Sonic Generations - €24.99 / £19.99
3DS eSHOP
    Secrets of the Titanic 1912-2012 - €10.99 / £9.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    ?

NA update (week of September 12):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    The Wonderful 101 - $59.99 (September 15)
WII U eSHOP
    Toki Tori 2+ (update)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Zelda II: Adventure of Link (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Toki Tori 2+ (Wii U eShop) - $8.99 until September 19
    Mutant Mudds Deluxe (Wii U eShop) - 30% off until September 26

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (demo, out September 16)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Tecmo Bowl (NES) - $4.99
DSiWARE
    Letter Challenge - $4.99 / 500 Points
    Tales To Enjoy! Little Red Riding Hood - $1.99 / 200 Points
    Tales To Enjoy! Puss In Boots - $1.99 / 200 Points
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    BIT.TRIP.SAGA (3DS) - $4.99 until September 15
    ATV Wild Ride 3D (3DS eShop) - 30% off until September 26
    Bomb Monkey (3DS eShop) - 30% off until September 26
    Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop) - 30% off until September 26
    Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo (3DS eShop) - $3.99 off until October 2
    Bike Rider DX (3DS eShop) - $2.99 off until October 9
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Art Academy: First Semester (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until October 6
    Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until October 6
    Pilotwings (Wii VC) - 150 Coins, available until October 6
    Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II (Wii VC) - 150 Coins, available until October 6

Here's a trailer detailing the additions/improvements made to Toki Tori 2 with the new update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81YhBfhWrEg

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jumped in on Toki Tori with the price drop/update. This game is fantastic, the puzzles are just so satisfying and the world is incredibly well designed.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Hey, Tecmo Bowl! That's a classic right there.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FredMSloniker posted:

My 256 headcount Mii Plaza (which was like 20 before the relay system) would beg to differ. It's REALLY easy.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Dewgy posted:

My 256 headcount Mii Plaza (which was like 20 before the relay system) would beg to differ. It's REALLY easy.

So I just have to change my router's SSID to 'attwifi' and turn off security, right?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

No you need to spoof your MAC address too. It has been discussed quite a bit in the 3ds thread if you feel like going back some pages.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Awesome! posted:

No you need to spoof your MAC address too. It has been discussed quite a bit in the 3ds thread if you feel like going back some pages.

That's the hardest part though. I'm on a Mac and can't figure it out for the life of me...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Apparently sales of Toki Tori 2 have jumped by 8027% this week. Good for them.

https://twitter.com/TwoTribesGames/statuses/378541583744110592

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Man, where is the US's buy pikmin 3 get 30% off W101 deal? :(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rawrbomb posted:

Man, where is the US's buy pikmin 3 get 30% off W101 deal? :(

I don't think the US is getting that deal.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

We aren't, but Target is doing a b2g1 deal week after next if you like discs.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Really want to take part of that Wii U deal at target. Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, and Rayman Legends are highly on my list of games but can't justify it without something like this to come along.

Also if you CAN buy a disc, I don't understand why you wouldn't. Disks don't eat up limited hard drive space and look so drat good on the shelf. :3:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Spiffster posted:

Really want to take part of that Wii U deal at target. Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, and Rayman Legends are highly on my list of games but can't justify it without something like this to come along.

Also if you CAN buy a disc, I don't understand why you wouldn't. Disks don't eat up limited hard drive space and look so drat good on the shelf. :3:

Electric Blue is my favorite type of blue :3:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Spiffster posted:

Also if you CAN buy a disc, I don't understand why you wouldn't.

You make the mistake of assuming that your situation--I assume a permanent (and spacious) residence in a relatively convenient area--is universal.

Discs get damaged easily and eat up real space. Physical space for me comes at a much higher premium than hard drive space. I've also lived in places (overseas, especially) where getting a new release on day one was simply not an option any way other than digital. In those cases, digital also saved me money on shipping.

Digital isn't just a novelty for globe-hopping jet-setters, either. I assume the bulk of digital purchases are made by college kids in dorm rooms who can't have shelves full of games.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Sarchasm posted:

You make the mistake of assuming that your situation--I assume a permanent (and spacious) residence in a relatively convenient area--is universal.

Discs get damaged easily and eat up real space. Physical space for me comes at a much higher premium than hard drive space. I've also lived in places (overseas, especially) where getting a new release on day one was simply not an option any way other than digital. In those cases, digital also saved me money on shipping.

Digital isn't just a novelty for globe-hopping jet-setters, either. I assume the bulk of digital purchases are made by college kids in dorm rooms who can't have shelves full of games.

Moved 4 times in the past 2 years and yes games are a pain to pack and ship and they do eat up space. The last 3 places we lived at were cramped as all hell and clutter was everywhere because of living in small one bedroom apartments, but it's always worth it because I love them being on a shelf and being able to be shown. As for easy to damage, if you take precautions with them and keep them either in the case or in the drive, it won't get damaged. In my case, It's a collection that's over 20 years in the making and I don't plan on stopping it's expansion unless the options become digital only. I know it will most likely become that in a generation or two, but in the meantime I'd love to keep my collection growing.

But if digital is all you can do or want to put up with, i'm not trying to say you shouldn't play it or anything like that. It's your collection and if you'd rather have it on a Hard drive for simplicty sake, go for it. Your money, your choices. It's just my mind constantly goes "but.. but my discs!" :qq:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Spiffster posted:

Nintendo offers 10% back in eShop credit for Deluxe owners, plus downloads are tax-free and devoid of the potential risks/inconveniences of physical stores.

...having said that, I'd also like to be able to bring my games to a friend's house or lend them out. Opportunity costs!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Space Fish posted:

Nintendo offers 10% back in eShop credit for Deluxe owners, plus downloads are tax-free and devoid of the potential risks/inconveniences of physical stores.

...having said that, I'd also like to be able to bring my games to a friend's house or lend them out. Opportunity costs!

Taken advantage of that deal at least twice so far, but through Virtual Console games I can't find and own physically (see Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Super Ghouls and Ghosts), games I have and want to support for various reasons (See Earthbound and Megaman X), and games you can only buy digitally (See Bumpies Party, DND, and Ducktales). Hell I might have bought Ducktales for the PS3 if I knew they gave the case and pin. the boxart was gorgeous.

Also downloads aren't tax free. Eshop takes out state and local taxes with every transaction.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Space Fish posted:

Gotta call bullshit on the tax free. i get taxed for all eShop purchases. Thus getting stuff physically is cheaper for me, mainly because I get stuff Tax and Shipping free with Amazon.

Unlike PSN which doesn't follow those rules for some reason.

I guess its easier for folks who buy prepaid cards and set their state to Delaware or something but not here.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Gotta call bullshit on the tax free. i get taxed for all eShop purchases. Thus getting stuff physically is cheaper for me, mainly because I get stuff Tax and Shipping free with Amazon.

Unlike PSN which doesn't follow those rules for some reason.

I guess its easier for folks who buy prepaid cards and set their state to Delaware or something but not here.

I forget what Zip Code I put in, but I don't get taxed or anything... Nintendo's eShop does it by what zip code you chose rather than billing address which is kind of nice.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Spiffster posted:

But if digital is all you can do or want to put up with, i'm not trying to say you shouldn't play it or anything like that. It's your collection and if you'd rather have it on a Hard drive for simplicty sake, go for it. Your money, your choices. It's just my mind constantly goes "but.. but my discs!" :qq:

One thing I'd like if we're going to go full digital sometime in the near future, is have at least some kind of small package with some blurb and some game swag (like an actual manual!) with your QR Code or something to download the title. Unless we're playing free-to-play ad-ridden games... I'd rather not go any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Astro7x posted:

I forget what Zip Code I put in, but I don't get taxed or anything... Nintendo's eShop does it by what zip code you chose rather than billing address which is kind of nice.

That must only work with pre-paids as with my Credit card it doesn't accept the zipcode if the billing address doesn't match the location of the zipcode.