Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-10/accc-part-of-global-push-against-apps-charging-children/4946720

quote:

The consumer watchdog has not ruled out enforcement action over smartphone and tablet apps that claim to be free but charge once the user is engaged in the game.

More than 50 consumer protection agencies around the world are today launching a push against smartphone and tablet apps that mislead children into making unauthorised purchases.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) says many apps claim to be free but, when children download them and begin playing the games, they inadvertently end up paying money to keep participating.

Deputy chair Delia Rickard says the ACCC and other consumer groups around the world have received complaints from parents about the issue.

"One of the messages we keep hearing from parents is kids get frustrated, because to get to the next level you actually have to make a purchase, or something that happens instantly with a purchase can take days of playing to get there," Ms Rickard said.

"So game-makers have really tried to tamper with psychology and understand kids' psychology to play into that, to try and maximise the chance ... of purchases being made."

Ms Rickard says the apps need to have better disclosure.

-snip-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Is there a go-to Dad game? Mine saw me playing Kingdom Rush Frontiers and has now been asking me what my favorite iPad game is etc. He's into Age of Empires, Civilization and Total War. Is that Sid Meier's plane game a good idea? I'd like to recommend something that's not front-loaded with a ton of depth or tutorial bullshit because he'd just quit.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

This is dumb. They should go after "App Store" makers to force them to have a pin/password to make a purchase. Parents that tell their kids their passwords are stupid, and get whatever is coming for them.

If the kid hits a Pay wall the parents delete the app. Simple as that.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The Royal Scrub posted:

Is there a go-to Dad game? Mine saw me playing Kingdom Rush Frontiers and has now been asking me what my favorite iPad game is etc. He's into Age of Empires, Civilization and Total War. Is that Sid Meier's plane game a good idea? I'd like to recommend something that's not front-loaded with a ton of depth or tutorial bullshit because he'd just quit.

Fairway Solitaire has been an older family hit suggestion for me. I think Ridiculous Fishing would go over well, as well.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

The Royal Scrub posted:

Yeah, with that taste in games I think Ace Patrol would be right up his alley. He might also enjoy some of the board games like Settlers or Ascension, though obviously those will have a learning curve. And there is of course the dumbed-down Civ Revolutions.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

bubbapook posted:

Wow, not sure if you guys are playing 868-Hack, but it is a roguelike par excellence.

I'll do a little write-up/explanation on it here, since I think it's an awesome game but it's kind of hard to understand at first, even after the tutorial, and it might help people decide whether they'd like it or not.

I guess don't read the following if you're dead set on figuring every tiny thing out yourself, but I'll try to talk about things that are fairly basic but confusing at first, and spoiler or leave out secret things that people might want to figure out for themselves. There is a tutorial but it is very bare-bones and left me scratching my head on a few things until I either puzzled them out or looked them up on various internet sources.

The picture speaks for itself, no explanation needed, right?

The basic conceit here is that you are a hacker, and your job is to siphon encrypted data. One of the things that that game doesn't really explain very well is how runs and scoring work. Each "run" is broken up into 8 randomly generated levels (aka "sectors"), each a 6x6 grid like above. Your job is collect as much data as you can during the run and get out. The biggest element of your raw score is surviving all 8 sectors! On your score sheet, you'll notice that runs where you survived are ranked higher than ones where you died, no matter how much data you siphoned. In addition, surviving a run will (at least in my experience) unlock a new skill that can appear in subsequent runs and possibly do other stuff on higher run chains that I don't fully understand yet. Also, the game keeps track not only of your highest scoring single run but also your highest scoring streak - in other words, the highest score from a chain of runs without dying. You don't keep anything from a prior run (money, energy, programs) except that a newly-unlocked program will be carried into the next run and your streak score keeps running.

Note: if you don't give a poo poo about progression, the designer has kindly allowed you to just go in and unlock everything if you want. You can also relock down everything but the basic programs if you want to start your progression over.

You are the big happy face. The two tiny smaller yellow faces on the grid are data siphons. There are two data siphons per level. Once you collect a data siphon, you can use it by tapping on the box that says "data siphon" on the right. Siphoning gathers everything from the square you are standing on and the four squares adjacent to you. There are two types of resources, money (shown as dollar signs) and energy (the little squiggly thing). These do play into your score but not much. I was confused by this at first since I figured money would be more of a score thing. They are basically just resources you can use to activate the programs listed on the right. The programs have a variety of functions; for example, to start with, you can't even choose to wait a round instead of moving or attacking until you get the WAIT program, which costs one energy to use but allows you to stay in place.

Aside from energy and money, if you are standing next to one of the big green blocks when you use your siphon, you get either the program it says on the block (for example, you can see UNDO on the block on the bottom row), or data (if it has a big purple number instead of a program name). When you get a program, you keep it for the entire run, and can use it as much as you want, so long as you have the required money and/or energy. You start with one or two programs at random, you have to siphon any others you want to use.

Data does nothing but add to your score -- however aside from surviving, collected data is by far the biggest score factor. Basically, data is how you score, but has no other benefit.

However, siphoning either new programs or data has a price, shown by the orange number on the green blocks. That orange number is how many new enemies will be spawned when you siphon the block. There are four types of enemies (that I know of so far), each with its own ability. There are also specific programs aimed at counteracting each one. There is a short description of every program and enemy in the game if you press and hold on it, but here's the longer definition for the enemy-specific stuff, spoilered just in case:

Glitch (Pink square-ish looking thing with the top right corner cut off): Can move through walls
-Counteracted by DEBUG, which kills any Glitches currently in a wall

Daemon (Red thing with two antenna on top): Takes three hits to kill instead of two
-Counteracted by D_BOM which explodes the nearest one, killing it and damaging everything around it

Virus (Purple thing with two fangs): Moves twice instead of once per turn
-Counteracted by ANTI-V which damages every Virus on screen

Cryptog (Blue Moon looking thing): Hidden unless in direct line of sight in the four cardinal directions
-Counteracted by SHOW which shows them along with other hidden stuff, like the type of enemy about to spawn

You attack enemies by swiping at them if they are in line with you. You don't have to be next to an enemy to attack it, your beam goes across the sector in a straight line. Enemies have to be next to you to hurt you, however. When you hit an enemy, it does not move forward or attack that round. This means it's simple to take out one enemy, you stunlock it with your attack until dead. But it's very easy to get surrounded. You can only take three hits before you die. When you move to the next sector, you get one hit point back if you aren't at max. There are also other ways to heal through programs, and other secret methods.

The green mesh block in the upper left of the image is the exit to the next sector. Any enemies that you don't kill carry over into the next level. Each level also immediately spawns a number of enemies according to how deep it is - level 2 spawns 2, level 7 spawns 7, etc. The level will also spawn enemies at a set interval, along with the ones you create from siphoning blocks.

The depth in it really comes from hard choices, not only in how to deal with enemies but also what to siphon. You only have two siphons picked up per level. Is 7 points of score worth 7 enemies spawning? Is that maybe-useful program worth using your siphon and spawning 4 enemies? Do you just say gently caress it and siphon resources if you are low, spawning no enemies but gaining nothing new and very little score? On top of that, the game has a nice variety of programs. Looking at the list, it appears there are 23 different programs in the game, and I've only unlocked a couple so far.

I think it's a great fit for iOS. The controls are simple swipes or taps, it's turn-based, and even a full 8-sector run only takes around 10 minutes or so.

Here's a spoiled list of exactly how the scoring works (confirmed by the developer on the TouchArcade forum thread). Probably not a big secret but spoiled just in case anyone really doesn't want to know:

1,000,000,000,000 if you live through all 8 sectors +
1,000,000,000 x data points +
100,000,000 x sector reached +
1,000,000 x credits left +
10,000 x energy left +
100 x siphons left +
1 x programs

Anyway, I really like it. It's a premium price I guess, at $5.99, but there's no IAP, and it's surprisingly deep and something I can see myself picking when I am bored for a long time.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 10, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The Royal Scrub posted:

There's a demo version of Battle Academy, which would probably be right up his street. Everyone wants to shoot panzers.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Cross-posting this across several threads.

I wanted to let everyone know about Project Phoenix in case some people missed it or forgot about it: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent

A fun-looking JRPG/RTS made by well-known industry talent (including Nobuo Uematsu) working without salary, it'll be on Android/iOS in a more limited form (main versions will be on Steam/Mac/Lunix/PS4/Vita). 18 hours away from ending a success, but they're still a little over $100k from their next stretch goal. I'd like to see that met.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Any games like Ace Attorney that aren't Ghost Trick? AA trilogy basically was my commuting game for a month but now I have nothing and GT is a bit finicky to play on the move.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren:

Apple's annual iPhone event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

:siren:

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Any games like Ace Attorney that aren't Ghost Trick? AA trilogy basically was my commuting game for a month but now I have nothing and GT is a bit finicky to play on the move.

Try Layton Brothers: Mystery Room. There's even going to be a crossover with Phoenix Wright on the DS coming out soon.

Junk Jack X is pretty great. I like the way they have you find recipes in the simple craft mode, but you can also 'cheat' by switching out and looking up recipes on the internet. It will stay in your book after you switch back.

I'm a little annoyed that the official wiki is basically blank. It's not easy to find detailed information about items/worlds/mobs anywhere.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

ZephroDyne posted:

Tried some Battle Camp. It's basically PaD with some nice polish.
I don't like many things about it though, like how you can only do 5 things before your Energy runs out and you have to wait 50 minutes for it to regenerate. That's dumb.
Also, they don't give out the premium coins afaik so its already worse than PaD which at least gives them out during certain events. I'll probably try it for another day before I delete it.

The issue I have with Battle Camp right now is that they banned one of my good friends for "hacking" because he was supposedly doing "mathematically more damage than the game allows." They "double checked and verified it" too, which is ridiculous. This is a guy that isn't tech savvy at all and doesn't even have a jailbroken iphone or anything. He spent a bunch of money on the game and it's all down the drain.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Edit: nevermind I'm an idiot.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 10, 2013

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Has anyone else tried this? I've been playing it for a couple hours over the past few days, and it's not bad, but very weird. It seems to be horrifyingly easy, as it will show you the optimal move after a few seconds' calculation. So all you really have to do is follow the line every time and you'll win every battle.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

Has anyone else tried this? I've been playing it for a couple hours over the past few days, and it's not bad, but very weird. It seems to be horrifyingly easy, as it will show you the optimal move after a few seconds' calculation. So all you really have to do is follow the line every time and you'll win every battle.

it is basically pad but more cash grabie and less units. Shows you drop rate up front though so that's nice.

Also its not the optimal move but it does show you 2-3 combo moves.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
If you want "optimal move" take a look at the post right above you. Puzzle Trooper's move hint system will get you maybe 3 combos consistently, but the medium level of players should be able to hit 4-5 combos consistently without cascades, and the absolutely lunatic top percent will be able to max out the board at 8+ combos before orbs start falling in.

That being said, Puzzle Troopers is so close to Puzzles and Dragons that I'd recommend that you play Puzzles and Dragons over it if you don't mind the art style as the units, stats, and skills are otherwise virtually identical (Viper Orochi = Tigh Tanik, Zeus = James Earl Bones, Valkyrie = Whoopie Goldbug and Sting) -- PAD also gives out a lot of free premium currency about twice a week, and it's easier to reroll for a good epic monster at the beginning.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is it? I linked to Puzzle Troopers, everyone else is talking about Battle Camp. They do look really similar in gameplay though, so I guess that's why I got confused. PT is just a reskin of Battle Camp, it looks like.

EDIT: Looks like I'll be trying PAD. I kind of hate the art style of PAD but if the gameplay is better it'll probably work out. Christ there's a lot of almost the same exact game on there.

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 10, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

Is it? I linked to Puzzle Troopers, everyone else is talking about Battle Camp. They do look really similar in gameplay though, so I guess that's why I got confused. PT is just a reskin of Battle Camp, it looks like.

Sorry they are so close I got confused. So I edited that part out, but the rest of the post is valid. It is a direct pad knock off, but seems less newbie friendly and more of a cash grab. And that is saying something.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Battle Camp has some unique stuff going for it, Puzzle Troopers is VERY close to a PAD reskin though.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Al Baron posted:

Arkham City Lockdown is IGN's free iOS game of the month.
Hey, thanks!

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

taco show posted:

Junk Jack X is pretty great. I like the way they have you find recipes in the simple craft mode, but you can also 'cheat' by switching out and looking up recipes on the internet. It will stay in your book after you switch back.

I'm a little annoyed that the official wiki is basically blank. It's not easy to find detailed information about items/worlds/mobs anywhere.

JJX was kind of a surprise release, most of the info on the wiki pertains to the original but it's slowly getting updated to the new game. You can buy the full craft book as an inapp purchase for $0.99 though if you just have to have all of them now. I bought it for convenience but if it had been more than $0.99 I would have skipped it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

goferchan posted:

Battle Camp has some unique stuff going for it, Puzzle Troopers is VERY close to a PAD reskin though.
Battle Camp also has a much cleaner UI (I think they hired someone from Glitch to do it because it's very similar and I swear some of the sound effects are identical) - I'd often get lost in Puzzle Trooper's menus trying to figure out how to get 'back' to the mission map because it wasn't just set as 'what you look at when you're not in a menu'. That and I think PT has the least interesting collectible units by far - compared to knock-off Pokemons and mythical gods their 'guy in progressively larger mech suit' and 'tank with stuff glued on' doesn't even compete.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'll do a little write-up/explanation on it here, since I think it's an awesome game but it's kind of hard to understand at first, even after the tutorial, and it might help people decide whether they'd like it or not.

:words:

Great game. Love it so far.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'll do a little write-up/explanation on it here, since I think it's an awesome game but it's kind of hard to understand at first...

Thanks for the write-up! I bought it as a result. I managed to complete a run on my third try, but only through massive abuse of $ programs, taking only small point caches and using Free Step to abuse my way through the final sector. (It was densely packed, filled with glitches and I didn't have debug. I'm not sure there was a better solution.) I ended up with 15 data, 8 of which I grabbed from a single siphon on my wallhack of the final sector.

It's surprisingly deep! I just realized you could use Free Step to hide inside a wall while killing non-Glitches for free, and Debug probably works on anything you can Push into a wall or if you can Push two enemies together.

Now I'm terrified about loving up my streak. :ohdear:

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I don't have much to add, but throwing another quick recommendation for 868-HACK onto the pile. It is excellent and I think it is much more suited than zaga33 to mobile play. It's probably my favorite iOS game to come out so far this year.

Edit: Just found out that you can instantly kill yourself from full health by using .debug after .step-ing onto a glitch. I did it at the end of a solid run but I'm too charmed to be upset. :allears:

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 11, 2013

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

This is a great write up, thanks man.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Glad the write up on it helped some folks!

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

SquadronROE posted:

Christ there's a lot of almost the same exact game on there.
That's because PAD is grossing 7 figures a day and everyone is falling over themselves to make the "Western" version.

MissMarple fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 11, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Beastie posted:

Hey goons, my best friend's dad launched his kick starter today. He's the creator of such arcade classics as SpyHunter, Rampage, and General Chaos.

Those of you who now feel some ball aching nostalgia might want to check out his page for the upcoming sequel to the grizzly and hardcore realistic top down action rpg....

General Chaos II: Sons of Chaos

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/388449021/general-chaos-ii-sons-of-chaos?ref=search

Oh my gently caress

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.
Ahahaha, gently caress me, I died in 868-HACK literally one step away from the final exit. I didn't notice that my final siphon had spawned an enemy block on top of the exit, causing me to waste my turn shooting. Virus zaps my butt, game over. I started typing up a bunch of stuff I learned, but maybe that would spoil things a bit? The mechanics are so no-nonsense that even when I'm caught off-guard, I never feel surprised: it always seems like I should have guessed that's how things worked.

Maybe one slight exception: files only act as walls when they're complety between you and an enemy. Standing inside a file isn't any different from standing in an open square. Which means:
* You can shoot a glitch that's in a wall.
* You can walk out of a wall without having to .step.
* Being in a wall doesn't protect you from enemies.

Definitely worth the price for anyone who likes these kind of turn-based games. Tremendously solid and focused.

opaopa13 fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 11, 2013

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

The Stair Dismount-guys have a free metal-themed marble-shooter out called Eyelord.
It's a pretty solid toilet-game if you ask me.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Jumping on the Infinity Blade bandwagon a little late after seeing the trailer for III. Is/was there a forum thread on the series?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Recycle Bin posted:

Jumping on the Infinity Blade bandwagon a little late after seeing the trailer for III. Is/was there a forum thread on the series?

I think there was one at one point but it's probably archived by now or just forgotten. Just ask here I still remember most of both games.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Recycle Bin posted:

If you click on my replies for this thread I believe I've talked a bit about both games previously.

Edit: Yeah, it's within my first several posts in the thread. Basically, play IB1 before IB2, do negative bloodlines ASAP in IB1, and in IB2 go dual style and put all your upgrade points into attack (same for the first game). In either, no spells besides Heal really matter. In this way you'll learn the game and rock face while doing so.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 11, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Prathm posted:

The Stair Dismount-guys have a free metal-themed marble-shooter out called Eyelord.
It's a pretty solid toilet-game if you ask me.

I didn't know what a marble shooter was but I loved Stair Dismount so I gave this a try. I like it. Lots of jiggly gross eyeballs and METAL for everyone.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Wow, looks like someone ripped off Patapon and ported it to the iPhone.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=203371

I can't imagine this will last long on the app store. I'm bewildered it actually passed review.

Only other thing I can think of is they bought the license.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Wow, looks like someone ripped off Patapon and ported it to the iPhone.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=203371

I can't imagine this will last long on the app store. I'm bewildered it actually passed review.

Only other thing I can think of is they bought the license.

I saw something on sale on appshopper recently that was incredibly similar but...
This is pretty much identical to the original. If it's not licensed, it looks like lot of work to just throw away.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Sad lions posted:

I saw something on sale on appshopper recently that was incredibly similar but...
This is pretty much identical to the original. If it's not licensed, it looks like lot of work to just throw away.

The Patapon art style has been pretty heavily ripped off by Triniti Interactive Limited, the biggest god damned rip off artists on the store. Nothing they put out is original, it's all wholesale copies of better games often with direct asset rips.

Patapon is probably the best game ever made fact period end of discussion

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

MissMarple posted:

That's because PAD is grossing 7 figures a day and everyone is falling over themselves to make the "Western" version.

That seems pretty unlikely. Have a source?

Edit: My bad for not believing you but that still seems insane! That would put them on pace to be one of the highest grossing games ever. Probably cost a poo poo-ton less than stuff like CoD too.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Toto reports that between April and June 2013 GungHo brought in $4.9 million U.S. in sales per day, for a net income-per-day of $1.8 million U.S [between January and June]

To prevent too much PAD-chat, I bought Ascendancy off of the 1 dollar sale a while ago. What's the best "learner's map" for this? It looks like a sparse cluster, peaceful atmosphere, and 3 species might be the best way to easy my way into learning it?

868-HACK looks like it can be compared favorably to Desktop Dungeons in the same 'board game, plan out your moves' sense. Anyone with experience in both?

• Locked thread