Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
The savvy arms look awesome - I love how you can adjust them on the vehicle! It's cool how different the same basic thing can be. It's just an arm with a bushing at each end, then everyone engineers little fixes and tweaks into it until it's pretty much perfect, with super flexy ends, adjustability, better materials, etc.. Unfortunately once they get to that point they are expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
They are definitely trick. I also had the JJ conversion done on the front axle top control arm mounts. It cost about as much to do just those arms as many complete lift kits.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slipfish posted:

I need to stuff the biggest tires I can get in my JK before winter hits. It's a completely stock '13 Sport (2-door). I'm not going to be doing any trail rides until next summer, and I'll have a lift by then.

Would I be able to fit a 285/75/16 or 305/70/16 duratrac without any rubbing when paired with a 4.5" backspaced wheel?

Goodyear's site claims both those tires stand 33.1" tall, the 285 is 11.3" wide while the 305 is 12.2" wide.

I know there's not going to be much room for articulation, but I need to get rid of these 29" tires for something with a little better grip for the winter and I don't want to repurchase new tires next year.

You can do a 37" tire with no lift if you do the bumper trim and fender trim and extend bumpstops. I think a 4" backspace is the best.

I've done 33x12.5 with no lift. The only rubbing was on that air dam thing under the front bumper.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Stupid question regarding XJ 97+ swaps: did they make 2-doors 97-01? I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Finally got around to having a muffler shop chop off the cat on my 96 Cherokee sport. The thing was dog-poo poo slow and could barely get up hills and was downright dangerously slow on the highway. The insides of the cat looked to be sideways, and unfortunately a big chunk of the cat lodged itself into the muffler. $450 later, this thing actually feels like it has 200hp.

The tires on this thing suck are pure garbage. I'm thinking of looking for a new set of wheels and buying some new tires. What would you guys recommend as a cheap tire for an around-town, stock beater Jeep that occasionally sees Washington state forest roads? They need to be decent in the rain.

I'm hoping to pick up this type of wheel: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/4043080469.html Also, has anyone ever refinished/polished those wheels themselves? What's involved?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Darchangel posted:

Stupid question regarding XJ 97+ swaps: did they make 2-doors 97-01? I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

yup. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/just-bought-1999-2-door-cherokee-1031791/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Neat. I wonder if I can get the newer door panels to fit the older door. Must research. I don't really want to do all the work involved in a complete door swap.

goobernoodles: I was going after a set of those wheels, too, but a set of 15x8 Wrangler Gamblers showed up on Craigslist first at a steal-me price. Refinishing those 10-holers shouldn't be too difficult - they are mercifully flat and smooth. First thing to do is remove the rest of the peeling clear-coat with your paint remover of choice, lots of quality time with various grades of sandpaper, then go after it with metal polish. I've polished a set of first-gen RX-7 alloys before, and it wasn't bad at all. I had to do more work on the RX-7 wheels, because they left had a "machine finish" with still fairly pronounced grooves.
Re-clear-coating them is optional. It will dull them a little, but then you don't have to keep the polish up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They did, but they aren't all that common.

97+ swaps are non trivial, especially if done right. Plan on getting a complete donor that's been rear-ended if you want your life to be easy.

Swapping the doors, front fenders+nose etc is easy. Swapping the interior and dash is either easy but very time consuming, or difficult but fast, depending on how much work you want to put into it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

They did, but they aren't all that common.

97+ swaps are non trivial, especially if done right. Plan on getting a complete donor that's been rear-ended if you want your life to be easy.

Swapping the doors, front fenders+nose etc is easy. Swapping the interior and dash is either easy but very time consuming, or difficult but fast, depending on how much work you want to put into it.

Not going to do a complete swap, if I do anything at all. I would just buy a '97+ if I wanted everything, I think, and probably a 4-door at that ( would work better with the family - the 2-door was pure chance. )

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
I was just wondering what the opinion is on the 04-06 TJ Unlimited, or LJ, is. I am thinking about getting one in the spring, and starting my research now. I think they look a lot better than a short wheelbase Jeep, and I'll be damned if I get a 4-door Jeep. It would be a 4.0 auto, 3-4' lift at max, and mostly used as a weekend warrior.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

MidasAg posted:

I was just wondering what the opinion is on the 04-06 TJ Unlimited, or LJ, is. I am thinking about getting one in the spring, and starting my research now. I think they look a lot better than a short wheelbase Jeep, and I'll be damned if I get a 4-door Jeep. It would be a 4.0 auto, 3-4' lift at max, and mostly used as a weekend warrior.

The only downside I see with an LJ, and especially a Rubicon LJ, is the difficulty in finding them in decent condition for less than stupid money.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Kastivich posted:

The only downside I see with an LJ, and especially a Rubicon LJ, is the difficulty in finding them in decent condition for less than stupid money.

That's kind of what I have been running into. Around here in the Seattle area, LJs are pushing $17k on the low end, up to $30k for a Rubicon edition. And most of them have been molested in some way.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Wranglers go for stupid high prices in the summer.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

Veins McGee posted:

Wranglers go for stupid high prices in the summer.

I'm waiting a few more weeks before I resume my search. I'm also trying to figure out somewhere besides Craigslist to get leads for wranglers. Too many people trying to sell rusted out frames for $1k over the book value.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Chef Bromden posted:

I'm waiting a few more weeks before I resume my search. I'm also trying to figure out somewhere besides Craigslist to get leads for wranglers. Too many people trying to sell rusted out frames for $1k over the book value.

Jeep Forum and Wrangler Forum are good places to search, but it doesn't tend to be cheap because people know what they have there.

enkalen
May 26, 2013

goobernoodles posted:

Finally got around to having a muffler shop chop off the cat on my 96 Cherokee sport. The thing was dog-poo poo slow and could barely get up hills and was downright dangerously slow on the highway. The insides of the cat looked to be sideways, and unfortunately a big chunk of the cat lodged itself into the muffler. $450 later, this thing actually feels like it has 200hp.

The tires on this thing suck are pure garbage. I'm thinking of looking for a new set of wheels and buying some new tires. What would you guys recommend as a cheap tire for an around-town, stock beater Jeep that occasionally sees Washington state forest roads? They need to be decent in the rain.

I'm hoping to pick up this type of wheel: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/4043080469.html Also, has anyone ever refinished/polished those wheels themselves? What's involved?

Regarding tires, I have (and like) the General Grabber AT tires on my jeep. I'd also look at their HTS models (http://www.generaltire.com/tires/light-truck-crossover-suv/grabber-hts).

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I installed the Teraflex oil pan skid today. I realized that they left out a bolt on the bell-housing when they put in my new motor :mad:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

It's almost 4x4 time! I've been driving around with a transfer case and the old 2wd front axle for about a month. It started making an alarming clunk in the front end so I decided to just go ahead and put in the D30 I bought a while ago along with new steering giblets and control arm bushings. Turns out a PO had replaced the track bar and not used a cotter pin. The castle nut was a few turns loose and the taper had come loose :staredog:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I ordered a solid diff cover for the rear d44, and the rancho slide/skid plate for the front d30. I've wanted one of the Rancho skids since I first got my jeep. It looks rad and I think it'll save my diff. Mostly it looks rad.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Astonishing Wang posted:

I ordered a solid diff cover for the rear d44, and the rancho slide/skid plate for the front d30. I've wanted one of the Rancho skids since I first got my jeep. It looks rad and I think it'll save my diff. Mostly it looks rad.

It's a bummer that it reduces your clearance by what looks like two inches, making it more likely you'll get hung up.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the coarse thread bolts around the bottom of the bellhousing cover don't do much to hold your transmission on; it's mostly the two bolts that go directly to the block and the top two E12 rear end in a top hat inverted Torx bolts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, any bolt that doesn't go into the block is just there to keep that little sheetmetal bellhousing cover plate on. No real worries there.

I would take a ruffstuff diff cover over one of those skids any day, but it does look cool. I've come down REALLY HARD on both my front and rear diff castings with no real damage, the only one to really worry about is the zj aluminum rear 44, those can be damaged by rocks.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Yeah, any bolt that doesn't go into the block is just there to keep that little sheetmetal bellhousing cover plate on. No real worries there.

I would take a ruffstuff diff cover over one of those skids any day, but it does look cool. I've come down REALLY HARD on both my front and rear diff castings with no real damage, the only one to really worry about is the zj aluminum rear 44, those can be damaged by rocks.

And harsh words.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Ozmiander posted:

And harsh words.

excessslightly above normal throttle usage will make the pinion bearing housing wallow out/ruin the bearing in them, too :v:

Don't know what Jeep was thinking with that.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

excessslightly above normal throttle usage will make the pinion bearing housing wallow out/ruin the bearing in them, too :v:

Don't know what Jeep was thinking with that.

There are places that aluminium parts don't belong. I'm dreading checking on the brake shoes in the Niva. Imagine what would happen to an aluminum drum if the friction material is gone.

I have to ask, along with the aluminium diff housings what were the axle tubes made of? And how were they attached?

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

kastein posted:

For the two drivelines that have sacrificed parts for my MJ, I've managed to lose all but one of those fuckers. Any clue what the specs are? Big chain hardware stores don't have anything close, though I'm heading by a good bolt & screw supply house later in the week... as someone who does bolted joint calcs on a daily basis, I really shouldn't find this that difficult. :eng99:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I will try to remember to look them up at work tomorrow.

General_Failure posted:

There are places that aluminium parts don't belong. I'm dreading checking on the brake shoes in the Niva. Imagine what would happen to an aluminum drum if the friction material is gone.

I have to ask, along with the aluminium diff housings what were the axle tubes made of? And how were they attached?

Steel. They are held together with magic, hopes, dreams, and hammered/pressed in plugs. Mostly with hopes and dreams. It works out about as well as you would think, but not as badly as a ford 8.8 that hasn't had the tubes welded to the casting (ford used the same :downs: hammered in plug idea, even though their tubes and housings are both iron/steel. Bravo, ford.)

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

kastein posted:

I will try to remember to look them up at work tomorrow.
Just tracked down a NAXJA post that refers to them as M8x2.12. Maybe the supply house will have 'em (in hollow A286 hexalobular cheesehead, no doubt), but who knows, maybe the PN is still stocked in some Mopar distribution center...

edit: and it's still used for the same purpose on 2.4l-equipped 200s :buddy:

OneOverZero fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 9, 2013

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Just blew either the steel brake line that runs to the rear, or the rubber line that runs from the body to the diff. Decided its be a good idea to do a little power brake chirp and bam! Pedal to the floor, I had enough front brake to limp 5 miles to home. At least it didn't go doing 70 down the mountain 30 miles from home.

I really hope it's the rubber line. Time to find my line wrenches.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

fps_bill posted:

Just blew either the steel brake line that runs to the rear, or the rubber line that runs from the body to the diff. Decided its be a good idea to do a little power brake chirp and bam! Pedal to the floor, I had enough front brake to limp 5 miles to home. At least it didn't go doing 70 down the mountain 30 miles from home.

I really hope it's the rubber line. Time to find my line wrenches.

Pretty much every xj I know has blown that rear steel line. Its not hard to replace as its mostly a straight run.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Hope it is the steel line, because if it is the rubber line, the steel line will twist off when you try and unscrew it from the rubber one. Actually, all 3 will. So if it is the rubber line buy the materials to do the steel line on the unibody and both on the axle.

Don't ask how I know this :suicide: at least I lived 3 blocks from autozone when that happened.

Oh, it is 3/8-24 regular double invert flares, 3/16 line, the fitting at the prop valve is a funky one so reuse that nut if you can. Don't buy m10 threaded premade hardlines, they will thread in 1 turn and then stop, leaving you wondering wtf is wrong till you notice the metric tag on the drat line.

PUT THE loving NUT ON THE LINE BEFORE YOU FLARE IT

And put it on facing the right way!

And don't bend the line with the nut too far down, it won't go around corners!

... and don't ask how many times I've done all of those things wrong :v:

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

yea.......I'm gonna sound like a total noob here but I don't know how to flare brake lines. So it's standard line not that stupid bubble flared stuff?

e: the last time I had to replace a hard line was on a diesel jetta my brother had at the time. I just took a length of paracord and figured out how long I needed. We went and got one, I bent it up by hand and put it on.

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 9, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

fps_bill posted:

yea.......I'm gonna sound like a total noob here but I don't know how to flare brake lines. So it's standard line not that stupid bubble flared stuff?

e: the last time I had to replace a hard line was on a diesel jetta my brother had at the time. I just took a length of paracord and figured out how long I needed. We went and got one, I bent it up by hand and put it on.

Yeah. Regular double flares throughout. All 3/16 line, all 3/8 flare nuts except the few goofy ones at the prop valve and m/c. Some of the m/c fittings may be metric or weird flare, I forget, but that's not relevant here.
There is one goofy bubble flare or something about 8 inches below the prop valve on the rear chassis line. You can get rid of it, just go straight to the valve block. It is there so they could use the same rear line on abs and non abs vehicles and just have a different short adapter line depending on whether it was abs equipped or not.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

Anyone know of a suitable replacement for the '84-'96 XJ/MJ (and probably others) fuel tank rollover valve? I have two new Mopar grommets but only one valve can be found in the garage. I can order them for ~$15 shipped online, but haven't found anything suitable that NAPA/Advance/etc might have on-hand...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What headlight upgrades are the best? I'm generally thinking a wiring loom upgrade, H4 housings, and some decent bulbs, but I'm pretty apprehensive about the products I'm seeing out there. A couple of jeep forums recommend this harness: http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW-Premium-Automotive-Lighting/dp/B001P29X4G

Which has a couple bad reviews, but doesn't seem totally scary. I'm willing to spend more if the quality is worth it.

I'm not finding anything in terms of decent brand name housings, and I'll probably just throw sylvania bulbs in unless someone has a better idea.

2000 XJ, for what it's worth.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

That Putco harness is probably fine, but I sprung for an IPF harness just for peace of mind (and because I'm too lazy to make my own). I don't remember if I went with Hella or Cibie lamps, but that setup with a pair of decent Narvo bulbs made an absolutely massive difference in output and beam for maybe $200 total. Best money I've put into my '01 XJ.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Cibie, Hella, IPF and AutoPal housings are all fine with the Putco harness. I put mine in two years ago with Hella housings and it's performed great. I think some batches had bad Chinese relays or something, but I haven't heard too many complaints considering how many people have ordered that thing and installed it. You'll have to pull your factory fog light relay, otherwise you can't toggle from high to low beams after you've flicked them to high; you have to kill all the lights and then start at low again.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Philip J Fry posted:

Cibie, Hella, IPF and AutoPal housings are all fine with the Putco harness. I put mine in two years ago with Hella housings and it's performed great. I think some batches had bad Chinese relays or something, but I haven't heard too many complaints considering how many people have ordered that thing and installed it. You'll have to pull your factory fog light relay, otherwise you can't toggle from high to low beams after you've flicked them to high; you have to kill all the lights and then start at low again.
Killer - ordered a set. Is the fog light relay thing an issue if I didn't have factory fogs?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Krakkles posted:

Killer - ordered a set. Is the fog light relay thing an issue if I didn't have factory fogs?

If you didn't have factory fogs, you'll be fine. I have Autopal h4 Ecode housings and the putco harness. No complaints, it was probably one of the best "bang for the buck" upgrade I've done to my jeep. Just stay away from the "crystal" h4 headlights, they're pure junk and just scatter light everywhere.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Veeb0rg posted:

If you didn't have factory fogs, you'll be fine. I have Autopal h4 Ecode housings and the putco harness. No complaints, it was probably one of the best "bang for the buck" upgrade I've done to my jeep. Just stay away from the "crystal" h4 headlights, they're pure junk and just scatter light everywhere.
Yeah, I sprung for the Hellas because I'd rather have them work really well. Lighting is important to me. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
JK headlights are loving terrible.