Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I don't suppose there's anything we can do about uneven wooden floors a rental apartment is there? I had to prop up the front of my dresser to stop the drawers falling out. Out kitchen table set is also wobbly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

I was hoping somebody could give me some information and/or link me to somewhere that does about subletting. I may be, in the near future, taking a gig on a cruise ship so I would be away in three-six month stints. Thanks!
In Seattle, there are "Apodments" that rent for two-month leases. That'd probably be ideal for you, since they're furnished, and you could just store most of your poo poo and not have to move or pay rent every time you go away.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Nuntius posted:

I'd say the opposite.

Me too, I've got a full set of black dinnerware from IKEA, and like 5 out of 8 bowls are chipped, and 2 or 3 out of 8 plates. And I'm careful, and I've never had any other dinnerware ever chip before or after these IKEA plates.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Costello Jello posted:

Me too, I've got a full set of black dinnerware from IKEA, and like 5 out of 8 bowls are chipped, and 2 or 3 out of 8 plates. And I'm careful, and I've never had any other dinnerware ever chip before or after these IKEA plates.

IKEA has both stoneware and porcelain stuff, the stoneware tends to be cheaper and I believe it's also more prone to chip.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

I don't suppose there's anything we can do about uneven wooden floors a rental apartment is there? I had to prop up the front of my dresser to stop the drawers falling out. Out kitchen table set is also wobbly.

Not really. There's no quick fix and it's usually a structural issue in old houses, like the beams are actually sagging.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

In Seattle, there are "Apodments" that rent for two-month leases. That'd probably be ideal for you, since they're furnished, and you could just store most of your poo poo and not have to move or pay rent every time you go away.

I meant subletting my apartment. I'll have no problem finding somewhere when I would not be on the ship.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've had Ikea 365 dishes for about 4 years now with few problems. I've lost one bowl and 2 plates breaking so far, but what's nice is I can just go back to Ikea and replace the broken pieces rather than having an odd set.

No silverware scratches or chips or anything. As usual, if you buy the quality stuff at Ikea you get quality.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I rather like the Corelle dishes that you can get at Wal-Mart. They come in all sorts of cool/funky patterns and colors. I don't know what they're made of but it's almost like a mix of porcelain and plastic. I really think they're impossible to break. I've moved with them 4 or 5 times and don't even bother to pack them up securely, I just throw them in a box and they're fine.

http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/corelle-dinnerware

But honestly who really breaks dishes? I've never broken a dish. My parents have had the same Fiestaware dishes for like, 20 years and none of them have been chipped or broken. They have had them since my brother and I were kids, they use them literally every day.

The only thing I have ever broken is a glass. Like a literal glass made out of glass. I hate those. They shatter if you lightly bang them on the side of the sink when washing dishes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

razz posted:

I rather like the Corelle dishes that you can get at Wal-Mart. They come in all sorts of cool/funky patterns and colors. I don't know what they're made of but it's almost like a mix of porcelain and plastic.

Well, they're from Wal-Mart, so made in China at the cheapest possible price, so I'm guessing lead and arsenic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

razz posted:

I rather like the Corelle dishes that you can get at Wal-Mart. They come in all sorts of cool/funky patterns and colors. I don't know what they're made of but it's almost like a mix of porcelain and plastic. I really think they're impossible to break. I've moved with them 4 or 5 times and don't even bother to pack them up securely, I just throw them in a box and they're fine.

http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/corelle-dinnerware

But honestly who really breaks dishes? I've never broken a dish. My parents have had the same Fiestaware dishes for like, 20 years and none of them have been chipped or broken. They have had them since my brother and I were kids, they use them literally every day.

The only thing I have ever broken is a glass. Like a literal glass made out of glass. I hate those. They shatter if you lightly bang them on the side of the sink when washing dishes.
I want to second this recommendation. Corelle stuff is absolutely amazing and it's all you need.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, they're from Wal-Mart, so made in China at the cheapest possible price, so I'm guessing lead and arsenic.

Actually I just checked out one of my Corelle bowls and they're made in the USA.

According to Wikipedia they're manufactured and distributed by World Kitchen which is in Illinois.

razz fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 10, 2013

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

razz posted:

Actually I just checked out one of my Corelle bowls and they're made in the USA.

According to Wikipedia they're manufactured and distributed by World Kitchen which is in Illinois.

Probably still not a good idea to give money to Walmart.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Corelle is available at Target as well, not to mention Amazon and a bunch of other places. They've been around for decades, are cheap and nearly indestructible. They're not the classiest looking, but if you're on a budget and care about durability they're hard to beat.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Corelle is not a Walmart brand, Walmart is a store that happens to sell Corelle. You can buy Corelle all over the place, including their own outlet stores. I suggest googling before leaping to conclusions.

Corelle is seriously the best. I have no idea why people buy crappy cheap dishes. It's super light and thin (saves on space, plus it's kinda cool it's so thin you can read big text on your phone through it) and almost totally unbreakable. The tech is also really neat. They have basic designs as well as more modern looks.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Yeah, Corelle is great. They even have plain white for people who care about how classy their dishes look. (I'm not really sure what makes dishes "classy" beyond having traditional colors/patterns, but I never claimed to be a classy person :v:) They also have a bunch of square dish sets thanks to that fad going around; I can take or leave the plates, but square bowls are the best.

Corelle's made by the same people behind Corningware, which is also the best. You can heat it in the oven, on the stovetop(although apparently some of the newer Corningware they sell isn't stovetop safe), and in the microwave, and whatever they make it out of is damned near invincible. The only reason I still have my lovely plastic food containers is that Corningware is too heavy to haul back and forth every day.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Jumping on the Corelle bandwagon. I bought 4 sets off of Woot! at the beginning of the year for next to nothing. They're lightweight, durable, and come in a gazillion different patterns. The only word of caution -- if you manage to break one, it is imperative to vacuum thoroughly. When they shatter you'll have a few big chunks and a ton of incredibly tiny next-to-impossible-to-see slivers that you won't find until you walk barefoot.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

Jumping on the Corelle bandwagon. I bought 4 sets off of Woot! at the beginning of the year for next to nothing. They're lightweight, durable, and come in a gazillion different patterns. The only word of caution -- if you manage to break one, it is imperative to vacuum thoroughly. When they shatter you'll have a few big chunks and a ton of incredibly tiny next-to-impossible-to-see slivers that you won't find until you walk barefoot.

This.

I've only seen two Corelle plates break in 20 years, both the breaks were caused by a combination of thermal and physical shock, and both had a couple very large pieces, a few fingernail-sized pieces, and a few thousand little tiny completely invisible slivers and grains of impossibly sharp sand.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

H

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Min

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
It wouldn't surprise me at all of both of my grandmother's sets of invincible dinner plates were Corelle. My mom got her mother's set, and my sister and I are in a (good-natured) fight over our other grandmother's plates.

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

I want to move out of my current living situation in a couple months, when my lease is up. I'm really overwhelmed by how difficult it seems like it will be to find a new home and potentially a new roommate. The OP offers resources and Padmapper seems like it's great, but I wonder if I could also solicit advice from people who have been here before.

Relevant:
-My current lease began and ends on Dec. 1st, and searching this far out seems to only make things more difficult.
-I can afford either a nice 2-bedroom place with a roommate or an middling-to-ok 1-bedroom place.
-I've already mined my friends and acquaintances for leads and have come up with nothing.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Would this be the right thread to ask for advice on taking my ex-roommate to small claims court?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Would this be the right thread to ask for advice on taking my ex-roommate to small claims court?

Probably not, but we have the legal questions megathread here in A/T that would probably do you better.

Loot
Apr 3, 2013

119-242 Text Count
+59 Contribution Score
+5.9% Cold Resistance

6.7% chance of shitposting
Fires rockets instead of bullets!
I'm looking at possible apartments right now and while my town is known for very inexpensive living rates, I found an ad in the local paper for a 1-bedroom apartment with all utilities for $345. I have to admit, that's rather suspicious so I'm going to call next week. Not sure what to expect for this price (Possibly no furnishings, no AC/heating, the possibilities are endless!). Probably helps to note that there is no address listed, I only saw an address by Googling the phone number and turning up newspaper scans from last April.

Otherwise, anything I should look for that's an acceptable price range? The only other thing I'm seeing right away is a $450 efficiency with all utilities paid, not sure about a place with a roommate yet.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Admiral Lasers posted:

I want to move out of my current living situation in a couple months, when my lease is up. I'm really overwhelmed by how difficult it seems like it will be to find a new home and potentially a new roommate. The OP offers resources and Padmapper seems like it's great, but I wonder if I could also solicit advice from people who have been here before.

Relevant:
-My current lease began and ends on Dec. 1st, and searching this far out seems to only make things more difficult.
-I can afford either a nice 2-bedroom place with a roommate or an middling-to-ok 1-bedroom place.
-I've already mined my friends and acquaintances for leads and have come up with nothing.

Where do you live? Unless you're in the most competitive of urban areas where there is literally no vacancy between leases, starting looking for a place more than a month and a half in advance will be an exercise in futility since no one will want to hold a property for that long. Most landlords require two months notice of lease vacation at most, so a month and a half is a decent time to start looking if you want to dot all your lines. A month is probably more reasonable.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Loot posted:

I'm looking at possible apartments right now and while my town is known for very inexpensive living rates, I found an ad in the local paper for a 1-bedroom apartment with all utilities for $345. I have to admit, that's rather suspicious so I'm going to call next week. Not sure what to expect for this price (Possibly no furnishings, no AC/heating, the possibilities are endless!). Probably helps to note that there is no address listed, I only saw an address by Googling the phone number and turning up newspaper scans from last April.

Otherwise, anything I should look for that's an acceptable price range? The only other thing I'm seeing right away is a $450 efficiency with all utilities paid, not sure about a place with a roommate yet.
I'd look around on various apartment listing sites to get a general feel for rent ranges in the apartment size you're looking for - 1 bedroom should be fine for one person with no roommate, studio is doable too if you can keep yourself from accumulating a bunch of crap. If your area has those free for-rent catalogs(you'll usually see them in the front of grocery stores/gas stations/other places where free advertising flyers hang out), those help too. Most apartment complexes will list online, but having more places to look can't hurt.

Anything notably higher or lower than average should arouse suspicion unless there's a very good reason for the price difference(ex. you might accept a more expensive place if you get a dishwasher, there's in-unit washer/dryer, you get a covered parking space, or if it has one of many other things that are nice to have but aren't standard). Included utilites are nice, but the only one I'd really worry about is heat since it's by far the most expensive. Even the increased electricity bills from running AC are managable if you're willing to use fans most of the time and only bust out the AC when it's really hot.

That $345 place would raise alarm bells for me, if only because it doesn't actually tell you where it is. I'd also be suspicious if you couldn't find out any more info about it after tracking down the address.

Devvo
Oct 29, 2010
I'm moving out of my parents' place shortly, and I'm looking for a sofa bed for my living room. My budget goes up to $400 and I'm pretty sure I want leather or faux leather since it seems easier to clean than fabric and will look less grotty. Any one have any suggestions?

I checked Costco and they ran out of their "Lifestyle Solutions Vienna" sofas, so this one from Walmart looks decent: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Julia-Convertible-Futon-Sofa-Bed-with-Drink-Holder-Black/21089519, unless I get some different opinions.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I've honestly never seen a leather sleeper before, probably for good reason. Get something from Ikea that you can just buy an extra cover for, the covers are usually machine washable, so if they get dirty just do a cover swap. Honestly for 400 dollars I doubt you'll get something that functions well as both a couch or a bed.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I'm starting to look for apartments now and the OP says, "As a rule, you want to be paying 30% or less of your total income (pre-tax & witholdings)"

What is the reason for the bolded part? Is this just to factor in any tax returns I'll get ahead of time?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

StickFigs posted:

I'm starting to look for apartments now and the OP says, "As a rule, you want to be paying 30% or less of your total income (pre-tax & witholdings)"

What is the reason for the bolded part? Is this just to factor in any tax returns I'll get ahead of time?

This is because when renting an apartment, they look at your pre-tax income. If you go above 30%, you'll have a really hard time getting a leasing agent to agree to rent you the place, even if you live the most frugal lifestyle otherwise and could technically afford, say, 50% of your income.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

StickFigs posted:

It's just the common convention. It's an arbitrary number that a lot of places use to determine eligibility so it doesn't really matter that it's gross income rather than take home.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Devvo posted:

I'm moving out of my parents' place shortly, and I'm looking for a sofa bed for my living room. My budget goes up to $400 and I'm pretty sure I want leather or faux leather since it seems easier to clean than fabric and will look less grotty. Any one have any suggestions?

I checked Costco and they ran out of their "Lifestyle Solutions Vienna" sofas, so this one from Walmart looks decent: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Julia-Convertible-Futon-Sofa-Bed-with-Drink-Holder-Black/21089519, unless I get some different opinions.

Have you looked at this baby?

I'm considering getting it for my new place, but strictly as a couch, and only as a futon if a friend needs to crash there for the night or something.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

DrBouvenstein posted:

Have you looked at this baby?

I'm considering getting it for my new place, but strictly as a couch, and only as a futon if a friend needs to crash there for the night or something.

Just a heads up, I bought a Lifestyle Solutions brand couch from Costco myself (that was the same concept of futon with the sides that can form armrests), but mine was a different model that cost more like $300-400 I think. And within one year, one leg broke off while a 110 lb girl was sitting on it. The company did replace the leg for free. But by the time the couch was 14 months old, the leather had completely disintegrated on the entire couch, flaking off entirely. The whole couch. We kept a fitted sheet on it until we bought a real couch that was only like $600 that has held up great. So I would probably think twice on buying that. I've got a picture of the leg, but not of how terrible the couch looked after all the leather flaked off.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Devvo posted:

Honestly, get a hella cheapass futon from IKEA.

Odds are, whatever you get is gonna get the poo poo beat out of it, anyhow, and you're probably going to be moving again in a year or two; nice to have something you can just not give a poo poo about and throw away for when you move into a nicer place. Plus, the extra couple hundred dollars you will save can be added to your financial cushion.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

Devvo posted:

I have this exact sofa in ~vanilla~ and it's pretty nice. I get a lot of compliments on it because it looks nicer than it is. If you do get it, be careful with the feet, they go all crooked if they're not screwed in perfectly. Also, it's really not that comfortable to sleep on. It's one of the more comfortable sofa beds I've been on and 1000x better than fabric futons but it's still not a fun time.

Oh and yes, it does clean up very easily. Even in white. The fold down tray bit is great too.

Oh and as far as the Costco option goes, I've met two people irl with those sofas and both were broken. One had broken legs and other other one's arm things wouldn't stay up.

edit: Almost forgot, the back on this thing is kind of ugly so if you were planning on floating it in the middle of a room you might reconsider. Alternately, the way it leans against the wall leaves a lot of space for hiding poo poo.

Silly Hippie fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 16, 2013

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Thanatosian posted:

Honestly, get a hella cheapass futon from IKEA.

Odds are, whatever you get is gonna get the poo poo beat out of it, anyhow, and you're probably going to be moving again in a year or two; nice to have something you can just not give a poo poo about and throw away for when you move into a nicer place. Plus, the extra couple hundred dollars you will save can be added to your financial cushion.
Yeah, just go for cheap poo poo at first unless someone else is footing the bill. Nobody expects someone just starting on their own to have nice stuff. After a few years, you'll have the money for nicer furniture, and you'll have a better idea what you actually want from your stuff.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I'm moving from Houston tx to Miami fl. Not many people seem to be moving out of Houston with far more people coming in.
Is it possible to negotiate the rate on moving vans because of this? I figure they have to get them out of Houston somehow after someone drives down here.

Any idea how much I could talk them down by or if this even a thing?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GanjamonII posted:

I'm moving from Houston tx to Miami fl. Not many people seem to be moving out of Houston with far more people coming in.
Is it possible to negotiate the rate on moving vans because of this? I figure they have to get them out of Houston somehow after someone drives down here.

Any idea how much I could talk them down by or if this even a thing?
This sort of thing is usually taken into account for the rate they quote you.

And while Houston is growing at a faster per-capita rate, Miami actually has more people moving there, so it's doubtful it will be much of a discount.

If you want a cheap moving van, I suggest moving to Detroit.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That might actually be more expensive, because they could assume it will be stolen/set on fire as soon as it enters the city limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

This sort of thing is usually taken into account for the rate they quote you.

And while Houston is growing at a faster per-capita rate, Miami actually has more people moving there, so it's doubtful it will be much of a discount.

If you want a cheap moving van, I suggest moving to Detroit.

One of the guys from Penske actually called me and offered me a small discount (without me asking actually), and their rate was already better than budget/uhaul so just went with it.

Also thanks for pointing out more people moving to Miami than Houston. I did not realize that. Interesting to know.