Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

BonoMan posted:

So I'm in Central Mississippi and AIO is up and kicking for me. Just got the $55 plan with a Lumia 620 for $99. Kind of excited. Should be here on Monday!

Looks like my zip code is approved too (WV). I was trying to be as frugal as possible and get a decent used Android phone for <$200 but I just broke down and got a new 16GB Nexus 4 direct from google. I want stock/AOSP and I'm so tired of dicking with ROMs.

I can't wait for the Nexus 5 to be announced/released exactly one day after the return period for this phone ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Hughmoris posted:

Also isn't AIO the only prepaid to support LTE so far?

*Nevermind, looks like AT&T GoPhone does too. Speaking of which, is there any difference between the GoPhone and AIO other than a $5 price difference for similiar plans?

AIO lets you bring your own device, and has better data packages. The $70 for 7GB of LTE is pretty good considering your other options.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

AIO is up for the entire US now, in case anyone is wondering.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Can you really get a Nexus 4 on the Basic 250mb AIO plan? The order page says Basic Phones Only, and if you order a phone with that plan, their site only seems to want to show basic phones to go along with that plan.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If any of y'all with Net10 are porting to Aio, please advise on what they use as the account number and PIN because gently caress their support.

e: gently caress their support:

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 7, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Can you really get a Nexus 4 on the Basic 250mb AIO plan? The order page says Basic Phones Only, and if you order a phone with that plan, their site only seems to want to show basic phones to go along with that plan.

You can if you only buy a plan + SIM but there seems to be an issue as of yesterday.

Before yesterday, you were able to access full LTE speeds on the $40 plan for at least 250mb and throttled down to 256kbps of HSPA.

Ever since AT&T made AIO nationwide, it's been changed so that you only get below LTE speed if you're on the $40/mo plan and if you survive that, you get 2g speeds after the 250mb is up.

AT&T hasn't disclosed this publicly but some people from HowardForums found it out the hard way as soon as things changed.

If you're on the $55 and $70 plans, you'll be fine and things work as intended. I suppose AT&T is doing this to stop people from adding smartphones to the lowest plan possible.

Also, there seems to be some bs with AIO and swapping your SIM to other phones. A rep claimed it can get your account terminated. Honestly, I think its a stupid rep because that'd be pretty much suicide for AIO and against what GSM is.

Another thing is it seems people are really into GoPhone for some reason on other sites. Its kind of weird

Also, coverage for AIO looks to be prepaid and not post as there's no roaming and the signal isn't the best. This seems to vary though.

As for Net 10/Straight Talk porting, it's kind of hosed up because you have no actual number to give to AIO even though Net 10/ ST claims you do. I'm not surprised however, TracFone is known to do their damnedest to never sell a number, even though you must be allowed to do so by law.

America Movil just doesn't give two shits and never has.

EDIT: Also, AIO doesn't support shortcodes.

EDIT 2: AIO seems to have latency issues. It slows down a little once you do something that requires internet access and you're not on Wi-Fi, but it apparently smooths out after a while.

Edit 3: Also AIO doesn't work with AT&T 3G microcell.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 7, 2013

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can if you only buy a plan + SIM but there seems to be an issue as of yesterday.

Before yesterday, you were able to access full LTE speeds on the $40 plan for at least 250mb and throttled down to 256kbps of HSPA.

Ever since AT&T made AIO nationwide, it's been changed so that you only get below LTE speed if you're on the $40/mo plan and if you survive that, you get 2g speeds after the 250mb is up.

AT&T hasn't disclosed this publicly but some people from HowardForums found it out the hard way as soon as things changed.

If you're on the $55 and $70 plans, you'll be fine and things work as intended. I suppose AT&T is doing this to stop people from adding smartphones to the lowest plan possible.

Also, there seems to be some bs with AIO and swapping your SIM to other phones. A rep claimed it can get your account terminated. Honestly, I think its a stupid rep because that'd be pretty much suicide for AIO and against what GSM is.

Another thing is it seems people are really into GoPhone for some reason on other sites. Its kind of weird

Also, coverage for AIO looks to be prepaid and not post as there's no roaming and the signal isn't the best. This seems to vary though.

As for Net 10/Straight Talk porting, it's kind of hosed up because you have no actual number to give to AIO even though Net 10/ ST claims you do. I'm not surprised however, TracFone is known to do their damnedest to never sell a number, even though you must be allowed to do so by law.

America Movil just doesn't give two shits and never has.

EDIT: Also, AIO doesn't support shortcodes.

EDIT 2: AIO seems to have latency issues. It slows down a little once you do something that requires internet access and you're not on Wi-Fi, but it apparently smooths out after a while.

Edit 3: Also AIO doesn't work with AT&T 3G microcell.

What are shortcodes?

Also that sucks if AIO is really that bad. I mean if it's AT&T and on their own network...why make it lovely? Ugh. Anyway mine will be here Monday so I can test it myself.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BonoMan posted:

What are shortcodes?

Also that sucks if AIO is really that bad. I mean if it's AT&T and on their own network...why make it lovely? Ugh. Anyway mine will be here Monday so I can test it myself.

Since I can't hop on the $40/mo plan, I'm going to wait a little but to see how AIO works for others (at least others in Omaha :v:).

Shortcodes are the short numbers that contests, banks, some Google services, and PayPal use instead of a full number. For example, Straight Talk itself uses a shortcode number to text me that my bill has been automatically paid.

Qdoba uses a shortcode to sign you up to their loyalty club and give you a free nacho basket (still haven't gotten that...).

ST/Net 10 support them but AIO does not.

I know my bank uses shortcodes so this alone might be a dealbreaker for me because my bank is a pile of poo poo that REQUIRES a shortcoded text message to get a link to their app that's already on the Play Store.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 8, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
We all knew AIO was too good to be true. Looks to be a rev.B of ST but even more terrible. Shame, really.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ThermoPhysical posted:

Since I can't hop on the $40/mo plan, I'm going to wait a little but to see how AIO works for others (at least others in Omaha :v:).

Shortcodes are the short numbers that contests, banks, some Google services, and PayPal use instead of a full number. For example, Straight Talk itself uses a shortcode number to text me that my bill has been automatically paid.

Qdoba uses a shortcode to sign you up to their loyalty club and give you a free nacho basket (still haven't gotten that...).

ST/Net 10 support them but AIO does not.

I know my bank uses shortcodes so this alone might be a dealbreaker for me because my bank is a pile of poo poo that REQUIRES a shortcoded text message to get a link to their app that's already on the Play Store.

Well gently caress. I use Shortcodes all the time then. Oh well. Guess I'll just cancel and get a real plan. Shame.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'll happily take aio if only for the fact that their website probably won't act like I'm browsing incognito all the time. Goddamn net10 never retains my login session. Add that to the skeezy support forums and terrible support I'll happily pay $6 or so extra for similar service. If its better speed and consistency or coverage, hooray.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

I'll happily take aio if only for the fact that their website probably won't act like I'm browsing incognito all the time. Goddamn net10 never retains my login session. Add that to the skeezy support forums and terrible support I'll happily pay $6 or so extra for similar service. If its better speed and consistency or coverage, hooray.

What plan are you planning on switching to? If you do switch, can you give a report since I think you're currently the only Omaha goon who'll be switching at the moment?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

What plan are you planning on switching to? If you do switch, can you give a report since I think you're currently the only Omaha goon who'll be switching at the moment?

The $55 plan, I can't stick to 250, even for a $40 phone bill :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The $55 plan, I can't stick to 250, even for a $40 phone bill :v:

Same here. :v: If I switch from ST, it'll be to that plan...especially since AT&T hosed the $40 plan over without saying.

Either way, see if you can do a trip report. I'm hoping it's not too bad and there's no crappy data latency like people claim.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm going to be switching phones and plans soon, and I found that T-Mobile has really good coverage in my area (but no Metro PCS, sadly) - is there something I'm missing with Solavei that I should be seeing? $49/mo for 4gb data, shaped down to 2g, at 4G speeds seems pretty good, and I know enough people who'd make the switch that I could take advantage of the $20/mo off for referrals, PLUS their international rates are better than regular T-Mo, which is important to me... this feels like there's a catch, because it's sort of perfect for me and I only just read about it today. What am I missing here? Is this just a really great deal, or am I staring at a scam?

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I just ported my iPhone 4 from Verizon to PagePlus using their website.

It took literally 10 minutes. Tested all the features out, and everything seems to work fine. Data speeds are good. Some people say voicemail notifications don't work, but I haven't gotten one yet, so... :)

Down to a 39.99 phone bill (unlimited talk/text and 500mg data). I didn't even know that was possible! I'll probably be able to go to the 24.99 plan (1200 min, 3000 text/mms, 500mg data) next month.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

MC Hawking posted:

Having been on The Plan for the past few months my only qualms are thus:

I get a shitload of phone calls looking for the previous owner of this number who frankly must have lived quite the life. Lots of lawyers, collection agencies, and automated lines for Rent a Center. I'll live a happy life if I can go a Monday without getting some goober lookin' for Jan 'cause she owes him $50.

I can't really do customer service lines. Say I need to get my poo poo adjusted on Time Warner or some other such service. Wrangling with robots and tier 1 service burns up a ton of time, nevermind what you spend on hold. Fortunately this is a relatively rare thing.
Why wouldn't you transfer your number over. But I know what you are talking about, some T-mobile former customers have issues.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Same here. :v: If I switch from ST, it'll be to that plan...especially since AT&T hosed the $40 plan over without saying.

Either way, see if you can do a trip report. I'm hoping it's not too bad and there's no crappy data latency like people claim.

I've been on AIO for 2 months. There is some latency because you are being routed through a proxy but the service is leagues better than NET 10 was. A real website, customer service, no strange issues where data randomly stops working, you are using the GoPhone APN so it's not some third world coverage, going over your 2GB throttles you down to 256kbps which is reasonable and is unlimited.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jensen posted:

I've been on AIO for 2 months. There is some latency because you are being routed through a proxy but the service is leagues better than NET 10 was. A real website, customer service, no strange issues where data randomly stops working, you are using the GoPhone APN so it's not some third world coverage, going over your 2GB throttles you down to 256kbps which is reasonable and is unlimited.

How is MMS?

Also, are you in Omaha, NE?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

How is MMS?

Also, are you in Omaha, NE?

MMS works fine on the default APN they give you. I do have some issues sending and receiving when I'm on WiFi but I think it may more have something to do with stock android and being on LTE.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jensen posted:

MMS works fine on the default APN they give you. I do have some issues sending and receiving when I'm on WiFi but I think it may more have something to do with stock android and being on LTE.

Sounds like the same issue I have on ST with MMS. What phone do you have?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Sounds like the same issue I have on ST with MMS. What phone do you have?

GS4 GPe

It's not AIO... It's the phone. This is the issue (not my post):
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-google-edition/313229-mmss-wont-send-when-wifi-connected-gpe-s4-att-s4-works-fine.html

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It might be AOSP itself then because I'm on a Nexus 4, stock 4.2.2 and all that.

Ah well.

I don't use shortcodes much so I'm not 100% worried.

If you're in NE, do you really pay a flat $55 fee or is it like closer to $60? NE's cell phone taxes would boost that close to $60-$62 and I don't know if I could justify paying more than what I'm paying ST.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

It might be AOSP itself then because I'm on a Nexus 4, stock 4.2.2 and all that.

Ah well.

I don't use shortcodes much so I'm not 100% worried.

If you're in NE, do you really pay a flat $55 fee or is it like closer to $60? NE's cell phone taxes would boost that close to $60-$62 and I don't know if I could justify paying more than what I'm paying ST.

I'm not in NE but it's $55 flat.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jensen posted:

I'm not in NE but it's $55 flat.

I'll have to check into it but it doesn't seem too bad.

You said the signal is better than Net10/ST, what are you able to do on the 256KBps connection? I mean like besides web and e-mail. Games that need the internet like Puzzle and Dragons? How about YouTube, Google Play Music, or Plex?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'll have to check into it but it doesn't seem too bad.

You said the signal is better than Net10/ST, what are you able to do on the 256KBps connection? I mean like besides web and e-mail. Games that need the internet like Puzzle and Dragons? How about YouTube, Google Play Music, or Plex?

The signal isn't better than Net10 was, it's the same ATT. On Net10 I had the issue where the data would randomly shut off, as in a website would stop loading for no reason at all. It did this so frequently it made the data situation unusable. This does not happen with AIO - it's using the GoPhone APN.

You can stream low quality SD videos on youtube... haven't tried the other services after going over.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jensen posted:

The signal isn't better than Net10 was, it's the same ATT. On Net10 I had the issue where the data would randomly shut off, as in a website would stop loading for no reason at all. It did this so frequently it made the data situation unusable. This does not happen with AIO - it's using the GoPhone APN.

You can stream low quality SD videos on youtube... haven't tried the other services after going over.

It sounds like the GoPhone APN is a lot better than Net10/ST then since it's direct from AT&T.

I get that issue on ST a lot now, it'll just stop working and I'll be forced to reload or just sit and wait despite the bars showing 100% full strength.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Can anyone on AIO with an iPhone do a trip report? Currently have my 5 and my wifes 4S on net10 family plan and we're jailbroken to set the APNs which frequently get forgotten and need to be re-entered. Does MMS work while jailbroken? What obstacles did you have to jump through to get it working?

I'm also very interested in precisely what information I will need from net10 in order to port my number over. I despise their customer service and would be willing to jump. Am I gathering that the $40 plan is bullshit for smartphones leaving the $55 as the floor? I use about 500-750 megs a month and don't stream often so I could handle the 256kbps.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TraderStav posted:

Can anyone on AIO with an iPhone do a trip report? Currently have my 5 and my wifes 4S on net10 family plan and we're jailbroken to set the APNs which frequently get forgotten and need to be re-entered. Does MMS work while jailbroken? What obstacles did you have to jump through to get it working?

I'm also very interested in precisely what information I will need from net10 in order to port my number over. I despise their customer service and would be willing to jump. Am I gathering that the $40 plan is bullshit for smartphones leaving the $55 as the floor? I use about 500-750 megs a month and don't stream often so I could handle the 256kbps.

Yeah it says right here that the 40/month plan is "Basic phones only"

http://www.aiowireless.com/shop/plans.html

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Here is my experience after moving from Net10 to AIO, summarized:

Net10 is for hoodrats who can't really afford a smartphone and AIO is for thrifty folks tired of paying for $100+ postpaid plans.

Net10 does things like cut out your data randomly to make sure you can't use it to stream and uses a know-nothing India based customer service operation. AIO has actual stores that you can go to (in launch markets, at least) and a website that is well built and shows you your data usage in real time down to the date/time you used each KB. AIO lets you use the data however you want (was tethering fine) whereas Net10 doesn't even want you to stream anything.

The worst thing I can say about AIO is that it's true you are being sent through a proxy. Ping times are not 50ms LTE norms; it's more like 150 minimum. And yes, the LTE is hard capped at 8 down. For how I use my phone neither of these have been issues.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm sorely tempted to switch over to Aio. I nixed the auto renew on my Net10 account and they sent me a sad ex email with the subject line "Tell Us What Happened."

Aio happened, motherfuckers. Aio done happened all over your asses. When I have to post in a goddamn internet forum for support, get a reply in a decent amount of time saying that I need to PM someone, try to send that PM only to get an error saying I have to post 5 times before sending PMs, and try to post 5 times only to get an error saying I have to wait some number of hours between posts, it isn't worth the $6-8 difference considering your competition is stuff like Ting, T-Mobile, Aio, etc. I can ignore the shitposting of other subscribers in a support forum, I can't ignore the awful support I get after having to ignore shitposting. And their phone support is worse. So I'll be getting out later this month. The 3rd month free promo ends on the 29th and my service with net10 is up on the 27th.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TraderStav posted:

BonoMan posted:

Yeah it says right here that the 40/month plan is "Basic phones only"

http://www.aiowireless.com/shop/plans.html

Right now, no one knows what you need to port over your Net10/Straight Talk number since TracFone is known to refuse giving up their numbers. AIO needs your account number, Net10/ST won't give it up and claims it's your actual phone number when it isn't.

Also, despite what the website said, the $40/mo plan DID used to work on smartphones but AT&T randomly changed it as soon as AIO went nationwide. You won't even get full LTE speeds anymore on that plan.

I'm sorely tempted to switch over to Aio. I nixed the auto renew on my Net10 account and they sent me a sad ex email with the subject line "Tell Us What Happened."

Aio happened, motherfuckers. Aio done happened all over your asses. When I have to post in a goddamn internet forum for support, get a reply in a decent amount of time saying that I need to PM someone, try to send that PM only to get an error saying I have to post 5 times before sending PMs, and try to post 5 times only to get an error saying I have to wait some number of hours between posts, it isn't worth the $6-8 difference considering your competition is stuff like Ting, T-Mobile, Aio, etc. I can ignore the shitposting of other subscribers in a support forum, I can't ignore the awful support I get after having to ignore shitposting. And their phone support is worse. So I'll be getting out later this month. The 3rd month free promo ends on the 29th and my service with net10 is up on the 27th.

Thanks to Jensen, I'll be doing my damndest to switch. I can't stand not being able to use my data, constantly checking to see if I didn't go over 100MB for the day. It was kind of nerve wrecking in Arizona for two weeks, worrying if I'd have actual data because I hit 102MB one day. Then I get home and now data decides to not work at all even with full bars.

Think I'm ready for a change, shortcodes be damned.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 10, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also, despite what the website said, the $40/mo plan DID used to work on smartphones but AT&T randomly changed it as soon as AIO went nationwide. You won't even get full LTE speeds anymore on that plan.

Does that mean I would have 3G/4G speeds? I'd be fine with that, really.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Can any one with AIO mention what speeds you get when you're on 3G only (with and without having spent your data). I have a Nexus 4 right now, so LTE doesn't do much for me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just got my Nokia 620.

Initial impression:

The slip that comes with your phone says that all you need to do is put your sim in your phone, power up, then go to the activation portion of the AIO site...which promptly tells you NOT to insert your sim before activating your phone. :psyduck:

Other than that I'm in the middle of the activation process so we'll see how it goes.

The Lumia 620 is ok. No Gorilla Glass which is a bummer. But for a $100 off-contract phone... I can't really complain!

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Right now, no one knows what you need to port over your Net10/Straight Talk number since TracFone is known to refuse giving up their numbers. AIO needs your account number, Net10/ST won't give it up and claims it's your actual phone number when it isn't.

Some guy on Howardforums.com posted:

Perhaps you didn't provide the right account # and pin?
The account # is the serial # listed on the Straight Talk my account section.
The pin # is the 5 digit security pin you created on the Straight Talk my account section.

Looks like this might be for CDMA phones.

Whereas the last 15 digits on your SIM card might be your account number for those on the BYOP plans.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 10, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Does that mean I would have 3G/4G speeds? I'd be fine with that, really.

1-2.5Mbps looks to be what you get on the $40/mo plan, the $55 and $70 plans get up to 8Mbps as advertised. Once you go over that 250MB cap, the $40/mo plan is throttled to 128Kbps while the $55 and $70 plans are throttled down to 256Kbps. Previously, you could get up to 8Mbps with a throttle of 256Kbps on the $40/mo plan.

Basically, you probably don't want the $40/plan if you have a smartphone. I get at least 3Mbps on Straight Talk with $46.66.

SB35 posted:

Looks like this might be for CDMA phones.

Whereas the last 15 digits on your SIM card might be your account number for those on the BYOP plans.

That might be it, I'll give it a try in a week or two. If not, that's cool. I still have GV hanging on to my Sprint number. :v:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I ditched my actual cell number for GV so I don't even know what my phone's current number is, so I've got no problem jumping from ST to AIO. However the wife takes her number with her, so that could be a problem. ST has been fine because we don't use a lot of data, but I just got a new car and it has all sorts of fancy built in bluetooth stuff and I'd like to be able to stream Pandora or Google Music or something while I'm on the road, which we of course can't do now with ST.

So if anybody figures out how to port from ST that would be great. Also AIO trip reports on a Nexus 4 would be great as well, because that's what we've both got.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Well, fifteen days after paying my ETF with Sprint, Ting is offering a deal where they will reimburse 25% of your ETF, up to $75. I can't take advantage, but maybe someone else can: https://ting.com/etf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
T-Mobile prepaid SIM kits on sale again, only $0.99

• Locked thread