Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
for peeps with an accessport installed in their ST (really any car), is it crucial to break the car in first? I've always been told not to drive a thing like I stole it until the first oil change or whatever to verify parts are all in working order.

I've only put about 300 miles on and I'm champing at the bit.

e: a shameful snipe, have a picture/selfie:

second edit: no shift-thump yet on my '14, I'm hoping they fixed the RMM issue in the new model year.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Stew Man Chew posted:

for peeps with an accessport installed in their ST (really any car), is it crucial to break the car in first? I've always been told not to drive a thing like I stole it until the first oil change or whatever to verify parts are all in working order.

I've only put about 300 miles on and I'm champing at the bit.

Supposedly break in is just the first thousand miles at varied rpm. No oil change required. Flashed at 1900 miles then changed it anyway at 2100. Service writer tried to convince me not to saying engines don't break in like they used to.

I'd do the first 1000 without really getting into it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
And guess what! The service writer was correct and your uncle isn't Smokey Yunick.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Phone posted:

And guess what! The service writer was correct and your uncle isn't Smokey Yunick.

I pretty much drove my 11 Golf TDI just like my previous car. Breakin periods are for cars that had poo poo tolerances.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

veedubfreak posted:

I pretty much drove my 11 Golf TDI just like my previous car. Breakin periods are for cars that had poo poo tolerances.

I was targeting the 2k OCI.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Phone posted:

I was targeting the 2k OCI.

Eh, super cheap oil change, and I've seen pictures of someone dragging a magnet through their drain pan.

Wasn't pretty.

That was just initial, my OCI is going to be 5-7k depending

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
5 Things that Auto Manufacturers Don't Want You to Know About Factory Fills!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Damnit Phone!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Could have at least gone with a classic

http://youareanidiot.org/

Out of an ST with 1k Miles:

This is before the oil filter was dropped into the unused drain pan.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 12, 2013

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veedubfreak posted:

What is the real excuse why people ignore what the engineers put into the owner's manual for cars? If the owner's manual says drive it under 4k RPM and never floor it for the first one thousand miles and limited sustained RPMs (like mine did) what reason does someone have to go 'nah' and ignore it? I don't understand it at all, it's in the manufacturer's best interest to keep your car running like it's supposed to. You might want to trade that car in on a new model and then they can make even more money off your car later. They want it to be running properly and breaking in properly just like the owner would.

I haven't heard a real reason why someone should ignore the vehicle's engineer's instructions. Besides the bullshit "One neat trick found out by a school teacher! Smokey Yunick hates her!!!!!" garbage.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Laranzu posted:

Could have at least gone with a classic

http://youareanidiot.org/

Out of an ST with 1k Miles:

This is before the oil filter was dropped into the unused drain pan.

Yeah, and the plural of anecdote is data.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Phone posted:

Yeah, and the plural of anecdote is data.

Nice pulling the D&D catchphrase there.

Yeah and the $10 oil change gets rid of those anecdotal metal chunks that might be in your oil, but are in some sort of Schrodinger's box until you drain it and find out.

I'd also rather they not be in there, if I'm hammering the poo poo out of my car.

Edit: Who the gently caress is Smokey Yunick?

Double Edit: I'm not saying engineers are retarded, and not to listen to them. I am just personally more comfortable not having the possibility of metal chunks in there, and its my cash to spend on that comfort. Automotive engineers really don't need your rabid defense.

Actually, defensive much? Do you know something we don't? Your'e designing engines to fail aren't you.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 12, 2013

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Laranzu posted:

Actually, defensive much? Do you know something we don't? Your'e designing engines to fail aren't you.
Sometimes I put premium in my car to treat it when she's being a good girl. I get more mpg and I have more power.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
And today I learned that doing a little extra to ensure the vehicle you love and enjoy doesn't possibly have metal bits in it, is un-AI.

Never would have thought that.

If its not in the Owners Manual, stop doing it. No one needs that extra performance, if it was possible, the engineers would have done it. Also those shocks can't be bad, the owners manual doesn't say they are yet. Spark Plugs all lovely? Impossible, the change interval is 100k.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Laranzu posted:

If its not in the Owners Manual

So you fly right in the other direction and start dropping 'hyuk hyuk better follow it exactly hyuk hyuk' instead of giving a real answer as to why it's even a thing to act like people know better than Ford or VW or _______. WHY is it silly to follow the owners manual for your new vehicle rather than some vague 'I know better' idea pulled from who-knows where? What is in it for the manufacturer of a vehicle to put '10,000 miles till your first oil change' (sans symptoms unless you are going to continue to pretend anyone that reads an owners manual as a blind robot following instructions) down if it is a load of bull?

EDIT

The links are direct to .pdfs for Focus and ST from here

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 12, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The manufacturer just needs the vehicle to get past warranty coverage, as driven by 99% of the population. One car had poo poo in it, maybe mine does too.

Right after that oil change I took it into the mountains on a hot day and flogged the poo poo out of the car. Taking chances on break in oil and possibly damaging something was not something I'm comfortable with in my brand new 27k car.

If you're comfortable with it, great.

The spark plug argument has merit, would you jump on someone for pulling a plug before their interval to check? Would you advise to put it back in if it looks like poo poo? Oh no they might have to buy some dielectric to put it back in! How stupid.

Why the rabid response to possibly unnecessary extra maintenance. I never said it was necessary, just that I personally did it this way.

First oil changes bring out the worst in car forums.

Edit: your links don't work. Maybe mobile issues but it's asking for a login. Actually it's a subscription site?

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 12, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Laranzu posted:

First oil changes bring out the worst in car forums.

Yes they do, so let's move on.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

What is the real excuse why people ignore what the engineers put into the owner's manual for cars? If the owner's manual says drive it under 4k RPM and never floor it for the first one thousand miles and limited sustained RPMs (like mine did) what reason does someone have to go 'nah' and ignore it? I don't understand it at all, it's in the manufacturer's best interest to keep your car running like it's supposed to. You might want to trade that car in on a new model and then they can make even more money off your car later. They want it to be running properly and breaking in properly just like the owner would.

I haven't heard a real reason why someone should ignore the vehicle's engineer's instructions. Besides the bullshit "One neat trick found out by a school teacher! Smokey Yunick hates her!!!!!" garbage.

Never said how I drove it did I? I said I drive it just like how I drove my last car. What do I give a poo poo, I can afford to have the warranty out to 100k and 7 years, at which point I'll have become bored with it anyway and be trading it in :) Not everyone drives a car for 20 years. The fuel pump and DPF will poo poo out long before I ever have engine troubles.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Oil change arguments are hilarious. Congrats, your 1000 mile discrepancy won't manifest itself until probably 150,000 miles from now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So, my new Fiesta ST makes a sort of clunking or mechanical sound when I push in the clutch. You can only hear it when you are going from 1st to second, and a little bit when going from 2nd to 3rd. It's not very loud, but I was wondering if that's normal or not.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bob A Feet posted:

Oil change arguments are hilarious. Congrats, your 1000 mile discrepancy won't manifest itself until probably 150,000 miles from now.

I wonder when that guy with the 3 million mile Volvo did the first oil change? For that matter, how the gently caress do you actually drive 3 million miles. That poo poo averages out to almost 68 THOUSAND miles per year for the 47 years the car has been on the road. That's some serious hardcore driving. That is like a 4 hour commute every single day for 47 years. How do you not kill yourself doing that?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

echobucket posted:

So, my new Fiesta ST makes a sort of clunking or mechanical sound when I push in the clutch. You can only hear it when you are going from 1st to second, and a little bit when going from 2nd to 3rd. It's not very loud, but I was wondering if that's normal or not.

I think it might just be the arm on the pedal. I get it infrequently on the Mazda2 and it sounds like a click when the pedal is fully depressed.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
About to drive 5 hours to Atlanta this weekend. I really wish the ST had a right arm rest. :negative:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bob A Feet posted:

About to drive 5 hours to Atlanta this weekend. I really wish the ST had a right arm rest. :negative:

Yeah I'm heading to Wilmington this evening (3 hours from me) and I'm wondering how the ergonomics will work out, first time I'll have driven the car for longer than about 45 minutes.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bob A Feet posted:

After having driven my 04.5 GLI without an arm rest for 6 years and now having one in my TDI, it makes a huge difference. I kept a coffee cup with a shammy container in the cupholder as a makeshift armrest.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Phone posted:

I think it might just be the arm on the pedal. I get it infrequently on the Mazda2 and it sounds like a click when the pedal is fully depressed.

My MS3 has done this for a few years now. I think it may be the clutch pedal switch. Its not very loud though and I wouldn't call it a clunk.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Yeah I came from a car which had one, so its a let down. I use a travel mug as well for a makeshift one. I did a 2000 mi road trip a few weeks ago (FL-SC-VA-SC-FL) and it wasn't too bad. The window provides an okay arm rest, and I use my lap and steer from the bottom of the wheel too. The only problem with that is I find that the steering isn't initially very sensitive, so it requires a little bit of torque from your arm, which can be difficult if its resting in your lap.

The biggest annoyance is low range on a tank, I think. That, and a recent occurrence-- a door mounted speaker is loose/blown and is buzzing on low freqs.

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

I wonder when that guy with the 3 million mile Volvo did the first oil change? For that matter, how the gently caress do you actually drive 3 million miles. That poo poo averages out to almost 68 THOUSAND miles per year for the 47 years the car has been on the road. That's some serious hardcore driving. That is like a 4 hour commute every single day for 47 years. How do you not kill yourself doing that?

About 10 years ago, I worked in the same dealership group as Irv. The story from multiple techs that had run through the shops he was at was that car spent more time on the lift with the wheels spinning than on the ground.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

eddyc49 posted:

About 10 years ago, I worked in the same dealership group as Irv. The story from multiple techs that had run through the shops he was at was that car spent more time on the lift with the wheels spinning than on the ground.

What. That is pretty drat retarded if that's true.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
13 pages and no CTR love? For shame. Had my FN2 for just over a year now and it still makes my three hour daily commute a pleasure.

Also, they said it wasn't going to happen, but it looks like there's a new model due in '15. http://www.brayleys.co.uk/honda/new-civic-type-r/
VTEC gone in favour of a turbo...

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Randyslawterhouse posted:

13 pages and no CTR love? For shame. Had my FN2 for just over a year now and it still makes my three hour daily commute a pleasure.

Also, they said it wasn't going to happen, but it looks like there's a new model due in '15. http://www.brayleys.co.uk/honda/new-civic-type-r/
VTEC gone in favour of a turbo...

I recently drove an '11 Civic Si at a local car lot. I had seriously underestimated how much fun those things were. Price point was pretty ludicrous so i did't move on it. I wonder why Honda doesn't sell the Type R in the US.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
My god I love this thread (aside from the stupidity on the last couple pages). My hot hatch (2011 MS3) is absurdly fun and I love it. Comfortable, beautiful, just techy enough to be fun without being annoying (the blueteeth actually works!), and more than enough power for daily driving and having a bit of fun on curves.

Also, I fit an entire refrigerator and hot water heater in it (not at the same time, mind you). It's a lovely, lovely car.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Look what I woke up to this morning. *sigh* Had the car less than 2 weeks and this happens.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Small leak or a puncture or some hooligan? I've had a tire explode in the middle of the night after what I think was hitting a rough piece of curb.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

Small leak or a puncture or some hooligan? I've had a tire explode in the middle of the night after what I think was hitting a rough piece of curb.

No idea. I aired it up and I don't hear a leak nor is it leaking fast so I'm taking it to my local mechanic to have him check the tire out.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Pull the wheel off, pump it full of air, cover it with soapy water. You'll find out if it has a leak pretty fast.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I got shanked.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

echobucket posted:

I got shanked.

Holy poo poo haha it's like a cafeteria butter knife. So... crime of passion / opportunity I guess? What is there to gain by slashing a random dude's tire?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Stew Man Chew posted:

Holy poo poo haha it's like a cafeteria butter knife. So... crime of passion / opportunity I guess? What is there to gain by slashing a random dude's tire?

It's actually the blade from a pair of scissors. And the shanking is a joke. It was not in the sidewall, so I apparently ran over it, because it was embedded in the center of the tread. The dude at the tire shop had to use a pair of pliers to get the thing out and even then it didn't want to come. He patched it up and didn't charge me anything though. I love my mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I saw the stainless/China stamp and assumed. Glad you got it taken care of for cheap!