Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Klungar posted:

Isn't more MP, which is basically impossible to get more than a certain amount of, better than item slots that most people hardly ever use after the first few hours?

I believe the choices you make affect what abilities you get first as well, which is why I said Shield (since I'm pretty sure you get defensive abilities and things like Second Chance and Once More earlier as well). As a biased man, I'd take Staff over any of the other choices any day. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Also your Max MP determines how long Aero lasts. More MP = longer spell = having to cast it less often so you can use more attack magic.

Edit: Staff/sword 4 LYFE

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Alteisen posted:

I've done it on Proud. :smug:

Course I go defense and give up magic, the key to that fight is the block attack, block his fire spell and when it smacks him in the face he falls to one knee and gets dizzy, then smack him around till he recovers, rinse, repeat till he's down.

Took Shield and sacrificed Strength in Proud and took Leon to the cleaners (did spend time beating children 3 v 1 on destiny island though and constantly reflecting Wakka's balls at people)

Anyone offput by Final mixes colors of enemies. The Wonderland boss looked AWFUL without red and black. :gonk:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I went with Sword/Staff for my most recent run and it was the goddamn worst thing, I was constantly low on MP, didn't have any useful abilities, and didn't get Block until Halloween Town :smith: Every other time I've played, I went with Shield/Sword which is pretty safe and carried me through the game without much trouble.

fezball posted:

Which is a lot more useful than it sounds at first glance as max MP also determines the strength of your spells (100% damage gravity magic anyone?).

What :aaa:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you don't go Staff/Sword you're objectively Playing it Wrong. You can have a great time Playing it Wrong and all, but let's be real.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also your Max MP determines how long Aero lasts. More MP = longer spell = having to cast it less often so you can use more attack magic.

Edit: Staff/sword 4 LYFE

I just got Aero but I've never used it, not when the game came out nor ever since. What does it actually do? Spending 2MP for a little shield seems like a huge amount of MP when that could be two cures instead.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If you don't go Staff/Sword you're objectively Playing it Wrong. You can have a great time Playing it Wrong and all, but let's be real.

I usually go Staff/Shield. So far, it's actually working out rather fine. I've beat Riku and I've beat Leon.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
With KH1.5 coming out now I've really got to thinking: Why the hell did they put in Tarzan instead of Jungle Book? I bet they regret it now because they seemingly cannot ever use Tarzan again for anything.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

So tempted to get this. I wish I could somehow pay less and just have KH1 because who gives a gently caress about that second game and a bunch of crappy cutscenes.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mischitary posted:

With KH1.5 coming out now I've really got to thinking: Why the hell did they put in Tarzan instead of Jungle Book? I bet they regret it now because they seemingly cannot ever use Tarzan again for anything.

The Jungle Book was going to be in Birth by Sleep, but was left unfinished.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
Having just finished Dream Drop Distance, I'm so not surprised they decided to throw time travel into it at the end. Because if there's anything that can add needless complexity to a story, god knows it's that. :psyduck:

Also, the secret report was kind of a letdown at this point. I was expecting weird plot poo poo or something. :saddowns:

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I played this when it came out and really enjoyed it but it was one of those games I always played at a friends house and never owned. I took sword/staff and I'm already kicking myself at the boss for wonderland. Either I'm way worse at this game than I remember or I've made a huge mistake.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

The Jungle Book was going to be in Birth by Sleep, but was left unfinished.

I know it was gonna be in a whole bunch of games. I think I remember hearing that it was gonna be in KH1 too, which is what I was talking about. It just seems to weird that somebody thought to themselves "I think we need a jungle world in this game...what Disney movie has a jungle in it?" and come up with Tarzan instead of the Jungle Book.

Thinking about it slightly more, I think the reason they did so was that Tarzan was a world populated primarily by humans whereas Jungle Book is primarily populated by animals, and having the gang turn into animals would be more work.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I just got Aero but I've never used it, not when the game came out nor ever since. What does it actually do? Spending 2MP for a little shield seems like a huge amount of MP when that could be two cures instead.

Aeroga is loving incredible. It lasts forever and absorbs SO MUCH damage.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Wow, I apparently didn't read Amazon's description of the preorder very carefully. I got pleasantly surprised by receiving a limited edition and I didn't even know there was one.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Aeroga is loving incredible. It lasts forever and absorbs SO MUCH damage.

This. And also, I don't know if they changed it in KH1FM, but in the original MP Gift gave you so much MP 2 stocks were really nothing in the grand scheme of things. So long as you had one for healing nothing else mattered.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Aero lowers the damage you take.
Aerora does that, plus damages enemies on contact.
Aeroga does both those things, plus it reflects reflectable projectiles back automatically.

It's pretty essential. Although, never use it against Ice Titan. Ever.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Meh, I still pick the sword and drop magic. I prefer getting my hands dirty in the battles and I don't think I could stand playing through the majority of the game without combo extenders.

I'm playing on normal difficulty though, so I'm not anticipating too much trouble. I don't know if there's a bonus video unlocked for completing proud mode, but with the advent of YouTube, I've stopped jumping through those kinds of hoops.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Aero lowers the damage you take.
Aerora does that, plus damages enemies on contact.
Aeroga does both those things, plus it reflects reflectable projectiles back automatically.

It's pretty essential. Although, never use it against Ice Titan. Ever.

When I first played through the game I would fight Ice Titan and always die horribly, and I never understood why. Then I realized why.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

Almost Smart posted:

Meh, I still pick the sword and drop magic. I prefer getting my hands dirty in the battles and I don't think I could stand playing through the majority of the game without combo extenders.

I'm playing on normal difficulty though, so I'm not anticipating too much trouble. I don't know if there's a bonus video unlocked for completing proud mode, but with the advent of YouTube, I've stopped jumping through those kinds of hoops.

Agreed, though you get better finishers with starting Rod now in Final Mix, so I always go Rod and drop Sword. It ends up being more offensive, magic is obviously stronger, and you end up with the best end-game Sora for the optional bosses and stuff.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

GonSmithe posted:

When I first played through the game I would fight Ice Titan and always die horribly, and I never understood why. Then I realized why.

Why? Why?! :saddowns:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Because it then decides to say "gently caress You" and makes it's ice shards unblockable and unreflectable.

Also went Shield and dropped sword because I'm playing on standard and Min/Maxing can wait until the speed run for that trophy.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Does speed run for the trophy require a certain difficulty setting or can you just blaze through it on Beginner and still get it? Even on standard the time they give you seems to be a rough accomplishment.

I'm Currently on my pride 100% playthrough to start with and I usually take my sweet time so I can enjoy my time in the Olympus games (The coliseum is to drat fun)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

1.5 is out tomorrow but I cant decide if I should get it or get Dream Drop Distance. I haven't played or seen much of 3D so it's new for me. Getting 1.5 is a safe bet though but i've played the original versions.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I feel like I'm the only doof who picked the sword. Are the differences really that apparent in Final Mix? Should I start over seeing as I only just made it to Traverse Town?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Almost Smart posted:

I feel like I'm the only doof who picked the sword. Are the differences really that apparent in Final Mix? Should I start over seeing as I only just made it to Traverse Town?

The choices are apparent in the original too. The only stat that's ever limited in end-game is MP, by the very first choice you make.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Hence why people take the Staff, most of the time.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Almost Smart posted:

gently caress no, play however you like. To each their own. The game is designed to be able to be played with all the options, even if you might have an easier time with some setups.

E: For the record, here's information hastily grabbed from gamefaqs:

The first choice affects the levels you learn abilities at (but you will have all the abilities at lv100 regardless). What you give up doesn't affect abilities.
code:
        ------------------------ Ability Learned -----------------------
Level   Sword                 Rod                   Shield
  6     Slide Dash            Stun Impact           Slap Shot
  9     Scan                  Treasure Magnet 1     Berserk
 12     Slap Shot             Ripple Drive          Tech Plus 1
 15     Counterattack         Scan                  Guard
 18     Tech Plus 1           Hurricane Period      Stun Impact
 21     Combo Plus 1          MP Haste              Scan
 24     Guard                 Air Combo Plus 1      Lucky Strike
 27     Hurricane Period      Tech Plus 1           Leaf Veil
 30     -                     -                     Treasure Magnet 1
 33     Final Break           Guard                 -
 36     Treasure Magnet 1     Aerial Combo Plus 1   Second Chance
 39     Ripple Drive          Leaf Veil             Slide Dash
 42     -                     MP Rage 1             Jackpot
 45     MP Haste              Aerial Combo Plus 2   Counterattack
 48     Second Chance         Lucky Strike          Critical Plus 1
 51     Stun Impact           Slide Dash            Hurricane Period
 57     Vortex                Counterattack         Treasure Magnet 2
 60     Aerial Sweep          Berserk               Final Break
 63     MP Rage 1             Jackpot               Combo Plus 1
 66     Combo Plus 2          -                     -
 69     Leaf Veil             Slap Shot             Ripple Drive
 72     Aerial Combo Plus 1   Treasure Magnet 2     MP Haste
 75     Treasure Magnet 2     MP Rage 2             Critical Plus 2
 78     Berserk               Final Break           Vortex
 81     Tech Plus 2           Tech Plus 2           Tech Plus 2
 84     Critical Plus 1       Vortex                Aerial Sweep
 87     MP Rage 2             Combo Plus 1          Combo Plus 2
 90     Lucky Strike          Second Chance         MP Rage 1
 93     Combo Plus 3          Combo Plus 2          Aerial Combo Plus 1
 96     Aerial Combo Plus 2   Critical Plus 1       Combo Plus 3
 99     Critical Plus 2       Combo Plus 3          Aerial Combo Plus 2
100     Jackpot               Critical Plus 2       MP Rage 2
Both your choices affect your final stats. This is why Rod is chosen for minmaxing, there is no other way to get more MP but other stats can be grinded (ground?):
code:
Sora's Stats at Level 100 (Kingdom Hearts Final Mix)
Chosen Power     Sword   Sword   Rod     Rod     Shield  Shield
Unwanted Power   Rod     Shield  Sword   Shield  Sword   Rod
HP               87      87      87      87      87      87
MP               8       8       10      10      8       8
AP               49      51      51      51      51      49
Attack Power     49      49      46      48      47      48
Defence Power    46      45      48      46      49      49
Item Slots       7       7       6       6       8       8
Accessory Slots  3       3       3       3       3       3
SO basically unless you're going for the endgame bosses or whatever go for what you feel comfortable with.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 12, 2013

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
The only two choices that can be limited are MP and Item Slots. This is why picking the Sword is typically seen as sub-optimal because you give up both of those in exchange for a couple extra points of strength. However, it's not a huge spike in difficulty or anything.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

1.5 is out tomorrow but I cant decide if I should get it or get Dream Drop Distance. I haven't played or seen much of 3D so it's new for me. Getting 1.5 is a safe bet though but i've played the original versions.

I honestly didn't enjoy Dream Drop Distance that much. The story wasn't paced or told well at all and there was a bunch of annoying stuff like the whole dream eater/tamagotchi thing which you had to do to get powerups. Honestly you should probably just get 1.5.

I remember KH1 very fondly but so many releases and the fans of this series put me off so much. Does KH1 still hold up?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

PonchAxis posted:

I honestly didn't enjoy Dream Drop Distance that much. The story wasn't paced or told well at all and there was a bunch of annoying stuff like the whole dream eater/tamagotchi thing which you had to do to get powerups. Honestly you should probably just get 1.5.

I remember KH1 very fondly but so many releases and the fans of this series put me off so much. Does KH1 still hold up?
For what it's worth I think KH is still the best game in the series. It's much less polished than the later games, but it's got this sense of adventure and discovery that the rest are missing. I can't really sum up why, but at least some of it comes from the much more coherent story, the actually relevant Disney characters, the worlds having significance beyond "you have to go here and experience a disney movie to unlock the next place". With Final Mix one of my main complaints, the lack of combat moves, is even remedied!

NIV3K posted:

The only two choices that can be limited are MP and Item Slots. This is why picking the Sword is typically seen as sub-optimal because you give up both of those in exchange for a couple extra points of strength. However, it's not a huge spike in difficulty or anything.

I think it's wayyy more important to think of what playstyle you like because 90% of your game time is going to be spent Not On Level 100 and thus your abilities will be limited to your choice.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Amppelix posted:

For what it's worth I think KH is still the best game in the series. It's much less polished than the later games, but it's got this sense of adventure and discovery that the rest are missing. I can't really sum up why, but at least some of it comes from the much more coherent story, the actually relevant Disney characters, the worlds having significance beyond "you have to go here and experience a disney movie to unlock the next place". With Final Mix one of my main complaints, the lack of combat moves, is even remedied!

I think it's wayyy more important to think of what playstyle you like because 90% of your game time is going to be spent Not On Level 100 and thus your abilities will be limited to your choice.

Yeah, that's what I meant by the fact that it's not like it's a huge spike in difficulty. The only thing this decision might impact is you might notice a slight difference in the Sephiroth fight, maybe. The most important thing is which abilities you feel are the most essential to you enjoying the game. Once you know those look at the list and pick the one that gives you those the fastest. Like if you want Second Chance and Once More as soon as possible go Shield. If you want the MP Rage and Haste moves go Staff. And if you want a lot of the moves that change how straight combat works go Sword.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Amppelix posted:

I like playing KHII and BBS more, but the first game definitely had the best atmosphere. The worlds nearly empty of NPCs that we make fun of in the later games actually really contributed to the unsettling feeling that something was wrong, because the Heartless were being presented as a threat to all life and existence. The Nobodies, on the other hand, aren't a threat to the worlds themselves, so then it just becomes weird that no one is running around Agrabah or the Coliseum. Add in Sora's shortness (he's not much bigger than a Shadow) and the relatively zoomed-in camera that makes it hard to see your surroundings, and you've got a game where you are alone, and something terrible will happen if you don't do something. The stakes just seem lower in the rest of the series, even if they aren't. Hollow Bastion is just magnificent in the first game, with all the puzzles and majestic scenery, and the loss of your party members and Keyblade. And there isn't any overexplaining of the series' metaphysics.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think perhaps doing Proud with the slower EXP curve was a bad idea.

Trickmaster is wrecking me. :shepicide:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Dr Pepper posted:

I think perhaps doing Proud with the slower EXP curve was a bad idea.

Trickmaster is wrecking me. :shepicide:

Ok, is it just my bad memory, or does Trickmaster have some new attacks? Cause I swear he never had that one where he shot fireballs at you over and over.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't remember it ever doing that thing with the musical notes around it either.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

BrightWing posted:

Ok, is it just my bad memory, or does Trickmaster have some new attacks? Cause I swear he never had that one where he shot fireballs at you over and over.

If memory serves me right, this was always an ability of his. I remember when the last time I played it he gave me a bit of trouble too. I gained a couple of levels and tried again. That made a big difference.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Choosing the slow route can make some of the early game tough, but it's worth it in the end for having to grind less later on.

EDIT: I'm messing around in this game on my sister's PS3 (I'm on vacation!!!) and man, the new music is great. I love it. Also, I chose the fast route, and picked the Shield/Staff. I wanna see how far I can get in two hours.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 12, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I haven't played the original since I beat it when it first came out, and I haven't really felt the urge. This re-release is calling to me, though... Exactly what is included with the Final Mix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I haven't played the original since I beat it when it first came out, and I haven't really felt the urge. This re-release is calling to me, though... Exactly what is included with the Final Mix?

Some extra cutscenes, new abilities, some mechanical improvements, an extra boss (for the Japanese this was multiple extra bosses since the US version got special fights.) It's the definitive version but a lot of it is under the hood stuff. KH2FM is a lot more notable a change.