Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Are AIO sims only sold online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

berzerkmonkey posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Well, fifteen days after paying my ETF with Sprint, Ting is offering a deal where they will reimburse 25% of your ETF, up to $75. I can't take advantage, but maybe someone else can: https://ting.com/etf

Send them an email and ask nicely if it can apply retro to you, I've heard they're cool like that.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

Send them an email and ask nicely if it can apply retro to you, I've heard they're cool like that.

Worth a shot, I guess. Thanks.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well looks like AIO's data is pretty spotty. Just went a couple of miles away to a restaurant, totally in the middle of town, and it dropped out. Not even just for a bit though..the entire time I was there until I got back to work.

Maybe because it was right by C Spire's headquarters?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Well looks like AIO's data is pretty spotty. Just went a couple of miles away to a restaurant, totally in the middle of town, and it dropped out. Not even just for a bit though..the entire time I was there until I got back to work.

Maybe because it was right by C Spire's headquarters?

Have you had this issue before with AT&T or its MVNOs?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ThermoPhysical posted:

Have you had this issue before with AT&T or its MVNOs?

None whatsoever. I've had AT&T proper for about 13 years or so, data for the past 6. Several times today (and it could just be the network getting use to being bombarded maybe) it's just dropped data totally. And it'll sit there dropped for a while before it picks back up.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BonoMan posted:

None whatsoever. I've had AT&T proper for about 13 years or so, data for the past 6. Several times today (and it could just be the network getting use to being bombarded maybe) it's just dropped data totally. And it'll sit there dropped for a while before it picks back up.

It might be the network being bombarded with people trying to use it for God knows what. AIO has no problems with tethering or torrenting, apparently. We may not see unlimited on it for long.

Where are you located?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ThermoPhysical posted:

It might be the network being bombarded with people trying to use it for God knows what. AIO has no problems with tethering or torrenting, apparently. We may not see unlimited on it for long.

Where are you located?

Jackson, Mississippi. The one time it dropped data for the longest was by the C Spire building where my signal dropped to one bar the entire time I was near it. I'm sure that's just a coincidence and that it's the network getting bombarded.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Jackson, Mississippi. The one time it dropped data for the longest was by the C Spire building where my signal dropped to one bar the entire time I was near it. I'm sure that's just a coincidence and that it's the network getting bombarded.

It's probably the network. Still hoping someone from Omaha, NE can shed some light on how AIO is.

I could ask an AT&T store but the last time I did that, they tried to get me to go with full blown post-paid because "GoPhone isn't as good".

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I can't think of a reason to pay ATT over $100 monthly for the same few gigs of data I can get on Aio for $55. If it really is a difference of a few slivers of coverage in random places then hell no.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I can't think of a reason to pay ATT over $100 monthly for the same few gigs of data I can get on Aio for $55. If it really is a difference of a few slivers of coverage in random places then hell no.

Definitely agreed.

Anyone tried the AIO apps? There's the one that gives free access to AT&T Wi-Fi where ever you are...wondering how this app works out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BonoMan posted:

Also the data drops everytime I go downstairs in our building. And by downstairs I don't mean underground or anything. It's just that half of our building is about 4 feet lower than the other half (but all above ground). I'm willing to bet my issues are phone related and not AIO related.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Straight Talk now supports LTE... i can't get this to work though with the new APN:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1810094-ST-now-supports-LTE?p=15229037#post15229037

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of ATT MVNOs, HowardForums seems to think that GoPhone is straight up postpaid ATT with cheaper plans.

They claim that ST/Net10 and AIO aren't actual postpaid and that ATT "gives priority" to GoPhone for speed, coverage, and support.

Anyone have input on this?

Edit: Apparently, they like to try and game the system by buying tons of prepaid cards on eBay to pay the bill instead of paying normally. Starting to think Howard Forums is a bit sketchy.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 13, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ThermoPhysical posted:

Speaking of ATT MVNOs, HowardForums seems to think that GoPhone is straight up postpaid ATT with cheaper plans.

They claim that ST/Net10 and AIO aren't actual postpaid and that ATT "gives priority" to GoPhone for speed, coverage, and support.

Anyone have input on this?

Edit: Apparently, they like to try and game the system by buying tons of prepaid cards on eBay to pay the bill instead of paying normally. Starting to think Howard Forums is a bit sketchy.

I buy all of my refill cards for net10 on callingmart. Don't think it's sketchy at all, but I would be considered about the future pricing of the cards. Callingmart basically subverts sales tax for me so I'm paying a little less than the $90/mo for the unlimited family plan. It was $95 with the discount + tax to go straight through them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mister Fister posted:

Straight Talk now supports LTE... i can't get this to work though with the new APN:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1810094-ST-now-supports-LTE?p=15229037#post15229037

I tried the settings here: http://www.straighttalkbyop.com/program.php

and it didn't work for me at all. No data connection (and why are there two sets listed, with no indication of which one to use? (No, I don't mean the smartphone vs dumbphone ones, if you scroll down, there's another set of APN settings for a smartphone.)

I tried both, at any rate, neither worked. Of course, I don't think AT&T has LTE coverage here...I tried to look at their coverage map, but their map's color scheme is terrible.

HSPA coverage is orange, and LTE coverage is a slightly darker shade of orange that 90% of the population won't be able to really distinguish between.

Edit: V V V Mine's through AT&T, T-Mo has no coverage at all where I live. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 13, 2013

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

DrBouvenstein posted:

I tried the settings here: http://www.straighttalkbyop.com/program.php

and it didn't work for me at all. No data connection (and why are there two sets listed, with no indication of which one to use? (No, I don't mean the smartphone vs dumbphone ones, if you scroll down, there's another set of APN settings for a smartphone.)

I tried both, at any rate, neither worked. Of course, I don't think AT&T has LTE coverage here...I tried to look at their coverage map, but their map's color scheme is terrible.

HSPA coverage is orange, and LTE coverage is a slightly darker shade of orange that 90% of the population won't be able to really distinguish between.

One's for AT&T and the other is for T-Mobile, what phone do you have?

But yeah i can't get it to work either, other people have had success though. Wonder if they're slowly rolling it out or something.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/09/13/straight-talk-prepaid-service-now-compatible-with-att-lte/

Well poo poo, now it looks like you have to buy a 4g sim to get 4g working on straight talk.... i think some people have said that they got it working on their old sims so wtf.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Mister Fister posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/09/13/straight-talk-prepaid-service-now-compatible-with-att-lte/

Well poo poo, now it looks like you have to buy a 4g sim to get 4g working on straight talk.... i think some people have said that they got it working on their old sims so wtf.

Well poo poo, makes me regret buying my gf a Verizon iPhone 5. She's using an at&t straight talk sim and 3G works great but still no prepaid vzw LTE and no option to get this :(

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
For you people trying to get lte working on straight talk, apparently you need a new sim card according to androidpolice.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Is it a special SIM that costs more, or is it just that all their new SIMS now have LTE enabled on them?

I was planning on getting a new SIM anyway...I went from a GNex to an HTC One, and had to cut down a regular SIM to microSIM, and I didn't do a great job so sometimes it says it can't find the SIM card and I have to kind of push on the outside of it a bit.

I use GV for all my calls/texts, so switching numbers on a new SIM is no biggie.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Would it only make sense to get the LTE for the latency? With a 1.5gb cap its not like you can really make good use of it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Would it only make sense to get the LTE for the latency? With a 1.5gb cap its not like you can really make good use of it.

The cap on ST isn't 1.5gb, no one knows what it is but ST generally cuts people off at 2gb.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Ok i was able to connect to the new ST APN by turning off my phone for 15 minutes and removing the SIM card, but i don't get LTE (or at least i don't think i do). I'm on the HTC One developer edition and i still only see the "H" speed at the top, not sure if that's only for HSPA+ or that's LTE also.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Ok i was able to connect to the new ST APN by turning off my phone for 15 minutes and removing the SIM card, but i don't get LTE (or at least i don't think i do). I'm on the HTC One developer edition and i still only see the "H" speed at the top, not sure if that's only for HSPA+ or that's LTE also.

My One says LTE when on LTE and H when on hspa, but I'm on tmobile so YMMV.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

SaNChEzZ posted:

My One says LTE when on LTE and H when on hspa, but I'm on tmobile so YMMV.

Yeah drat, i think i probably do need to get a new sim, after googling around.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I know its been gone over before, but what are the up/down-sides of porting my T-Mo number to GVoice? Something about MMS (that I dont use). How does it work for caller ID in either direction? My T-Mo $30 plan runs out on the 18th, so I would need to decide quickly if I don't want to lose time. I have a spare T-Mo microSIM activation kit (from when they were free, briefly), so thats not an issue either.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I know its been gone over before, but what are the up/down-sides of porting my T-Mo number to GVoice? Something about MMS (that I dont use). How does it work for caller ID in either direction? My T-Mo $30 plan runs out on the 18th, so I would need to decide quickly if I don't want to lose time. I have a spare T-Mo microSIM activation kit (from when they were free, briefly), so thats not an issue either.

Downsides:

- No MMS (you don't care and I don't either - why does anyone?)
- Sometimes you have delayed texts. FWIW, I haven't, ever, but the internet says it's possible.
- No shortcodes. Hope you don't like voting for American Idol or whatever (just use your T-Mo throwaway number for that if you like).
- Some claim calls have latency. I've never experienced anything of the sort. Just like a normal call, zero issues.
- Some report GV number calls are limited to one hour. I have been on work conference calls longer than that. My googling can't seem to locate the limit, but if you sleep with your GF on the phone all night, the call will eventually disconnect. No issue, IMO.

Advantages: where do I start? Some highlights:

- FREEDOM. You sell something on CL? Have a harassing buyer post-purchase. Block them and they disappear into a "we're sorry, this number has been disconnected or is no longer in service" message.
- Obi at home. Just get a cordless phone and this little $40 box and call all you want without using prepaid minutes (I have the $30 TMo plan and this is a godsend).
- Texting from any device (computer, etc). Awesome.
- Forwarding to any phone you have. In an office for a week? In the basement where your phone doesn't work? Just assign that landline to your GV profile and you're good.
- Archiving/transcribing voicemails. Listen to on a computer and save them forever if you like.
- Record calls.
- New, sexy prepaid plan with 20gigs and 50 minutes for $10 comes out? Just switch to it and link your GV number. Nobody on prepaid + GV should know their junk throwaway actual phone number.
- Unlimited texts from any device. Free.
- Having your number for life, no matter what. Pro tip- enable 2-factor authentication to be safe (everyone should do this now for your google account - don't wait).
- SIP/Talkatone/GrooveIP other geeky VOIP solutions.

In the end, I haven't regretted the :10bux: x2 I paid to port from AT&T years ago. It's been an incredible experience that I recommend to everyone.

Edit: I didn't answer your other question. Caller ID works fine. Just be sure to set the GV app to use your GV number for "all calls" or "ask me every time." I use all calls because I have my actual T-Mo prepaid number written down somewhere, but never give it out. Only use it for shortcodes and stuff. You can also set GV to show your GV number for incoming caller ID (so you know it's going to that number) or just set it to show the actual ID of who's calling. I have my GV set to show the caller's number and show mine on all calls. It's a totally transparent experience. Nothing like having my Obi, work iPhone, prepaid phone and gmail tab hangout ring when someone calls simultaneously. I just pick up the device closest to me. You can turn on/off whatever phones you don't want to ring on an incoming call in the GV settings in a matter of seconds.

Do it.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 14, 2013

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Downsides:
Do it.
Sounds good to me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I think you've pushed me over the edge to finally transferring my number to GV. I am on a family unlimited plan on Net10 with my wife. What will happen to her phone number if I do this? I obviously want to preserve her number along with mine. Considering jumping to the AIO on mine and keeping her on net10 until I find out how it is.

What do you all recommend given how awful their tech support is?

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
For those who switched to Aio, how long did it take for you to have a data connection? Voice and SMS are working but that's it for me.

Nevermind. Forgot I had to set the APN manually.

Venkmanologist fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 15, 2013

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I have pushed button and paid my :10bux::10bux: to transfer to GVoice.
Some confusion on the PIN. What I thought was my voicemail password wasnt it. Trying my actual last 4 of social see if that goes through.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TraderStav posted:

I think you've pushed me over the edge to finally transferring my number to GV. I am on a family unlimited plan on Net10 with my wife. What will happen to her phone number if I do this? I obviously want to preserve her number along with mine. Considering jumping to the AIO on mine and keeping her on net10 until I find out how it is.

What do you all recommend given how awful their tech support is?

I would recommend making peace with losing your numbers or waging a battle of attrition with their service reps.

Personally I'm getting ready to audit all my contact information and make sure I have my GV number everywhere or have identified where my mobile number is in order to change it. gently caress dealing with Net10's poo poo sandwich of a support org.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I would recommend making peace with losing your numbers or waging a battle of attrition with their service reps.

Personally I'm getting ready to audit all my contact information and make sure I have my GV number everywhere or have identified where my mobile number is in order to change it. gently caress dealing with Net10's poo poo sandwich of a support org.

This is very ominous, would I be better served by porting both out then?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TraderStav posted:

This is very ominous, would I be better served by porting both out then?

The problem is that porting them will be like pulling teeth.

To port you need an account number and a PIN. Net10 is very unwilling to provide either to subscribers. More power to you if you're able to pry it out, but it's bloody unlikely. Seeing as though they're (I'm fairly sure) required to provide the information on request it could be grounds for a complaint to the FCC or FTC, whichever governs number portability. I doubt it'd get anything done but I imagine it makes for a decent threat.

E: The links to their support forum go to https://www.net10forum.com which shows a 'parallels plesk panel' landing page. Wow.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 16, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The problem is that porting them will be like pulling teeth.

To port you need an account number and a PIN. Net10 is very unwilling to provide either to subscribers. More power to you if you're able to pry it out, but it's bloody unlikely. Seeing as though they're (I'm fairly sure) required to provide the information on request it could be grounds for a complaint to the FCC or FTC, whichever governs number portability. I doubt it'd get anything done but I imagine it makes for a decent threat.

A quick google brings this, it's from a year ago:

quote:

i porrted my phone number from net ten yesterday successfully. i used the imei number for my account number and the last four digits of my phone number as the pin number. it only took one day too. i hope this helps.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TraderStav posted:

A quick google brings this, it's from a year ago:

It didn't work for me when I tried it.

Also, every time you try to port, AIO puts a hold for the total amount due for activation on your card. Just a heads-up if you are looking at multiple attempts. They held about $200 on my card but it was relaxed within a few days :v:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

More GVoice talk.
My port request is still in-progress.
Can I not tell them secondary numbers and the like until that is done or can I just not find the right spot to do it?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

SB35 posted:

ThermoPhysical posted:

Right now, no one knows what you need to port over your Net10/Straight Talk number since TracFone is known to refuse giving up their numbers. AIO needs your account number, Net10/ST won't give it up and claims it's your actual phone number when it isn't.

Some guy on Howardforums.com posted:

Perhaps you didn't provide the right account # and pin?
The account # is the serial # listed on the Straight Talk my account section.
The pin # is the 5 digit security pin you created on the Straight Talk my account section.

Looks like this might be for CDMA phones.

Whereas the last 15 digits on your SIM card might be your account number for those on the BYOP plans.

Quoting myself here, but people have apparently ported from StraightTalk using this info, I would think Net10 would be similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I was hoping to benefit from the collective wisdom and past experiences of the goon hive-mind. As you can see from my recent posts I'm highly considering moving my prepaid number to GV. My question is how have you integrated GV with your iPhone? I am hoping to make the integration as seamless as possible. Here is what I have gathered/hypothesized.

iMessage (text and MMS): Don't link to disposable number, but to email address. Educate friends to just use that and not phone number? This is the area I have the least amount of understanding around. If I do not have data I will not have any 'send as text' backup for those contacts. I send a lot of pictures/videos with my iMessage friends, so I would like to maintain this if possible.

Non-iMessage Text: Use GV App, or other Jailbroken app/tweak to integrate with iMessage?

Non-iMessage MMS: Out of luck.

Calls: Easy as pie, that's not an unknown

What are the best practices? The weirdness of iMessage throws a real wrench into the mix. I appreciate the feedback!

• Locked thread