Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Ouroborus posted:

I thought the idea was a system that should work, if it doesn't get sabotaged or set up improperly. If everything functioning as normal will kill everyone by itself that doesn't really fit the theme of it. Though it would be hilarious!

The idea to give the engineers something important to do once the engine is running and also give them more options at engine setup time. Like do you set it to a full power burn and risk killing everyone if you can't get station cooling set up in time or do you do a low power burn and have to deal with a station at less than full power for a round.

I have not tired the new station but in the old black hole powered one engineers had way to little to do. Like once I got the old engine running I would just go do small things to piss people off because their was nothing else to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Last night we had a magical magical Maechoeh Mehn round that truly exemplified the adminbus and got nearly everyone hilariously killed (I survived limbless on the shuttle)

Daeren mentioned inviting you to record another round of that sometime, for posterity.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The game is pretty much insane. While i was busy trying to get a grasp on how NOT to explode the engine, someone apparently invented the Chicken Nuggets on the station.

Suddenly, people go crazy with nuggets. You can't take one step into Med-Sci without stepping on some. Eventually, the McRib faction speaks up and finds rabid followers somehow, defending the McRib as the greatest and praying for and prophesizing its eventual return to Glory.

As the station descends into its usual chaos, the McRib actually makes its return... in the form of some kind of alien hivemind. It slowly takes over the station, beckoning all remaining survivors to give up and join the McRib. When i stumbled towards the escape shuttle at the end, the McRib had almost totally engulfed the station and the encroaching delicious flesh over the hallways started sprouting eyes.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
:siren:Update! Episode 4: Drug Computer (AI):siren:

A few notes: Ctrl + Click opens doors, I didn't explain this in video, also shift + click bolts/unbolts doors.

I will get the daily motion versions of this and episode 3 by Sunday, as well as a bonus reel!

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
Silly Razage, a "natural" 20 is when you roll a straight 20 with no modifier! :v:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

Silly Razage, a "natural" 20 is when you roll a straight 20 with no modifier! :v:

It's totally fine. Cyborgs obviously have a racial ability that causes them to treat natural ones as natural twenties.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

senrath posted:

It's totally fine. Cyborgs obviously have a racial ability that causes them to treat natural ones as natural twenties.

Actually, it doesn't have to be a nat. 1, their modifier changes ANY result to a nat. 20! Its what sets them apart from the meatbags.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Pity the clown, they know not what they say or do. :smith:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Does the AI count as crew and give points if they escape?

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Is the purpose of the wizard to cause chaos? Is there ever a helpful wizard?

Does this game have NPCs or are all those little robots going around players?

Thanks for showing off this game. It looks like something I might enjoy playing some day.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

NinetySevenA posted:

IsDoes this game have NPCs or are all those little robots going around players?
I think the monkeys and tiny box-like robots are NPCs.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

NinetySevenA posted:

Thanks for showing off this game. It looks like something I might enjoy playing some day.

The big cyborgs with names like "Gamma 21" or "BUTTLORD OF FARTINGTON" are players, the little things like Medibots are NPCs. Monkeys are also NPCs... usually.

Wizards are antagonists but there's a tendency toward "friendly" wizards who just screw around until everyone gets bored, or until everyone lets their guard down. Or, more frequently, until someone spaces them anyway.

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
The wizard is an antagonist role, along with regular traitors, changlings, etc. So they start with a few objectives to achieve, and basically a free pass to cause as much havoc as they want.

Occasionally someone might decide to play a benign wizard, and just wander around botany smoking weed. However the crew is permitted to do whatever they want to an antagonist, so it doesn't normally take too long for someone to steal their hat butt and throw them out an airlock.

Arson Fire fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 14, 2013

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
The sheer amount of things that can happen in this game astounds me. They really aren't kidding when they compare this game to Dwarf Fortress. You wouldn't think you could remove someone's rear end unless you tried it. Or watched someone do it. You wouldn't think you could create meat-borgs any other way than feeding them that fatburger. But you can. There is a MUCH more terrifying way for Roboticists to do just that.

Nor would you think you could do anything but shoot people with a revolver, but no, you can also play russian roulette. This game was the best game when it was just the janitor and I downloaded it. It keeps getting better every time I see another round, because new things keep happening.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

NinetySevenA posted:

Adminbus can make either of those first two happen,

Also the wizard has natural allies in botany/bar/chef, so long as he does not crush them with his magical might those jobs are inclined to be friendly.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Is there a place to find out how to do simple things like, how do I smoke this joint instead of putting it out on my chest, or how to tear someones equipment off after you have subdued them? I can't find it on the wiki.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Pretty cool coincidence between the theme you went with and who the antagonist happened to be.

Edit: Aha. I guess the round I was in yesterday was a wizard round. It was going alright, but then suddenly this really loud crazy clown laughing clip kept playing over and over without stopping. I had no idea what to do so I closed the game. I guess it was a spammy cluwne.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 14, 2013

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Haerc posted:

Is there a place to find out how to do simple things like, how do I smoke this joint instead of putting it out on my chest, or how to tear someones equipment off after you have subdued them? I can't find it on the wiki.

For the first one, click the herb with paper in your active hand (it will place a joint on the floor you're standing on); pick the blunt up and click the green INV button on the left or place it in your mask slot. Click on the doobie with a lighter of some kind to light up. You can also light it first and then put it in your mask slot if you want to go for some more exciting ignition sources.

(You can also make rolls out of herbs other than weed :ssh:)

For the second, stand next to the person and click+drag from them to your tile, then click the stuff you want to take off. If you click in an empty slot you'll attempt to put whatever item you're holding into that slot, though (but only stuff that can ordinarily fit there will move; e.g. putting a hat on someone's head)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

Pretty cool coincidence between the theme you went with and who the antagonist happened to be.

Lots of people have a preferred AI theme they run when they get the job, I go as THE OVERSMUG personally, sometimes the admins even replace my icon with a :smug:

Also tonight we spent half an hour listening to an admin break the game by playing the word rear end over the voice system so hard it broke the entire game.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
I kinda want to try the game at some point, but I got a lag of some 5 seconds to any input when I tried the Goon server the other day. Maybe I'll just wait for the remake, although I assume it isn't coming soon.

The AI seems like a fun role to play. So far I've had a vague feeling that Paranoia played a major part in inspiring this game, and it is clear a nut Paranoia AI works perfectly for SS13, except without the killing.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

The big cyborgs with names like "Gamma 21" or "BUTTLORD OF FARTINGTON" are players, the little things like Medibots are NPCs. Monkeys are also NPCs... usually.

Wizards are antagonists but there's a tendency toward "friendly" wizards who just screw around until everyone gets bored, or until everyone lets their guard down. Or, more frequently, until someone spaces them anyway.

I accidentally set two hiding wizards on fire while trying to burn down the Owlery with a spray bottle and a cigarette. While setting it up all I could hear where farts, I flung my smoke in the flammable puddle I had made and suddenly they rose up out of the darkness, I panicked and ran, saving my rear end as the owlery was engulfed in flames (I actually set myself on fire, but I jumped into the swimming pool, hoping it would help). When I returned Sec were cuffing a still burning wizard and stripping him, so I guess he was bad? I'll never know because at some stage I blew up. The Owls all made it though.

Another round that day I was a chaplain, decked out in Adeptus Mechanicus robes, wondering what I'd do this time, when it hit me. I would bring the Grim Darkness of the Forty-First Century (tm) to the station, and set about smashing all of the lights I could reach with my limited access. Oddly enough with how dangerous this could be with Changlings (I think) not a single person stopped me as I went about darkening the hallways and Civilian areas of the station. I never got to finish as I got mind slaved around arrivals and was told to kill as many people as I could and have fun :3: I died in Medbay about five minutes later, having only spaced one person after stepping on a bomb and losing both legs. Someday though, I'll bring total darkness to the station, and then we'll probably get eaten.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I was a monkey once. I ate something, and then became one. I helped out the chef a bit. I even gavegot him a gun. I slipped on some spacelube by arrivals, smashed into a wall and was critical. Monkeys cannot kill themselves, so I just quit the match. I doubt anybody would have helped me. Mostly because I was a monkey.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 14, 2013

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

Having watched the video, I'm surprised the AI has to move from camera to camera, mostly because I've been playing on servers where they replaced it with unimpeded (as if you were a ghost) movement.

seriously, even Baystation12, infamous for their "immersion" has unimpeded movement for the AI.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

SniHjen posted:

Having watched the video, I'm surprised the AI has to move from camera to camera, mostly because I've been playing on servers where they replaced it with unimpeded (as if you were a ghost) movement.

seriously, even Baystation12, infamous for their "immersion" has unimpeded movement for the AI.

Yeah, I played a couple rounds as AI yesterday, it was pretty disorienting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SniHjen posted:

One of the benefits (for traitors) is it's not immediately apparent that a camera or two have been cut.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
All-seeing traitor hunter AIs are bullshit, the camera system isn't ideal but at least it makes that less of an issue.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
I'm beginning to find I love playing the AI. Being cryptic, having secret robo-buddy chat, trying to help the crew coordinate their efforts while not giving everything away... Very fun.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Infinite Monkeys posted:

All-seeing traitor hunter AIs are bullshit, the camera system isn't ideal but at least it makes that less of an issue.

It doesn't, really, since if you want to follow someone around you can just track them with the camera. If they go off to a place you should be able to see and the camera doesn't update, welp.

It's frustrating to play as AI because it turns into a game of trying to figure out which direction you have to approach to actually see something. The camera density doesn't make sense all the time, either -- there are two right next to each other at the top of the information room in arrivals, for example.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Can Engineers build more cameras?

Lisonfire
Nov 8, 2009

Infinite Monkeys posted:

IIRC, The AI's aren't all seeing and if their are no cameras that can see a tile it will be blacked out (also the cameras don't have xray vision like our cameras), so its not actually omniscient ghost vision. Plus, it prevents you from cutting all the cameras in a room and being watched anyway because the neighboring room's camera is right on the other side of the wall. The baystation AI system is one of the few things I think they do really well. Camera jumping is a pain in the rear end to navigate.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Razage posted:

:siren:Update! Episode 4: Drug Computer (AI):siren:

A few notes: Ctrl + Click opens doors, I didn't explain this in video, also shift + click bolts/unbolts doors.

I will get the daily motion versions of this and episode 3 by Sunday, as well as a bonus reel!

Awww, it's not available in Germany :smith: Please hurry with the alternative sources.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Plankalkuel posted:

Awww, it's not available in Germany :smith: Please hurry with the alternative sources.

I'm also in Germany and I was able to watch it by using a browser plugin to act as a proxy.
I'm using Stealthy for Chrome but there should be similar plugins available for all browsers.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

scissorman posted:

I'm also in Germany and I was able to watch it by using a browser plugin to act as a proxy.
I'm using Stealthy for Chrome but there should be similar plugins available for all browsers.

Thanks. That worked nicely. The last Firefox add-on with that functionality that I tried seemed not trustworthy and was broken all the time.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Lisonfire posted:

IIRC, The AI's aren't all seeing and if their are no cameras that can see a tile it will be blacked out (also the cameras don't have xray vision like our cameras), so its not actually omniscient ghost vision. Plus, it prevents you from cutting all the cameras in a room and being watched anyway because the neighboring room's camera is right on the other side of the wall. The baystation AI system is one of the few things I think they do really well. Camera jumping is a pain in the rear end to navigate.

I really like playing AI but god do I hate the camera system as it is now. Especially that one spot where people always want in and out of medbay but you can only actually see one of the doors and you can only see the person asking if they're on the outer side, not inside.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011
I admit I'm intrigued... From what I have seen so far the game is mostly sandbox. Are there any servers out there than run something like hard PvE? Like random bad events happening three times as often and you need to survive for a set time to win?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Dominicius posted:

I admit I'm intrigued... From what I have seen so far the game is mostly sandbox. Are there any servers out there than run something like hard PvE? Like random bad events happening three times as often and you need to survive for a set time to win?

Yes, it's called "An admin is online".

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.

Plankalkuel posted:

Glad the plugin worked for you, but these are encoding now. Once done I'll get them up on Daily motion. Episode 3 might have some quality issues because I had to recode it to something with I-frames to get my encoder to work with it properly so I could chop it up.

A word about camera tracking: Once a person spends enough time off camera (Might be a minute or two I think) the camera system will stop trying to track them so it's a good way to throw the AI off your trail for a while if you have a hidey hole where you cut all the cameras. I didn't get to show off many of the advanced AI things in this video, maybe next time.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Lisonfire posted:

That's exactly what he means. As it stands now, cameras have unlimited vision around their periphery, but there's no immediate indication if a camera gets cut. So a smart traitor can cut a few key cameras and have areas of safety that the AI cannot see, and usually won't realize it's missing. Whereas on other servers, as soon as a camera gets cut a big, giant black block appears saying "CAMERA WAS CUT HERE!" It's a lot less subtle.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

Captain Bravo posted:

That's exactly what he means. As it stands now, cameras have unlimited vision around their periphery, but there's no immediate indication if a camera gets cut. So a smart traitor can cut a few key cameras and have areas of safety that the AI cannot see, and usually won't realize it's missing. Whereas on other servers, as soon as a camera gets cut a big, giant black block appears saying "CAMERA WAS CUT HERE!" It's a lot less subtle.

I wonder if that could be countered somewhat by showing the room as it was a few seconds prior to the camera being cut. Or simply not displaying people and maybe items as well. Though I'm sure either of those options would probably be a huge pain to actually implement if they're even possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Dominicius posted:

There was some sort of zombie/alien survival server that was running for some time, but I don't see it with a brief glance at the servers list right now.

Alternatively: Goonstation does have the Exploration Missions :getin:

Alternatively2, there's Meteor Mode. We don't talk about Meteor Mode.

• Locked thread