Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Oh no

Oh noooooooooooooo

You know what this means. That irritating woman that always hung about with Hope is going to be back too. Are there any characters in this series that don't show up in the sequels? Besides Bartandalus, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

New LR: FFXIII videos:

Showing off how the hub teleportation works from The Thirteenth Ark.

The end of the video links to the other four area videos. Should help you give a sense of the scale LR will have.

Man, Lightning Returns sure got weirder when I wasn't looking.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

You mean you didn't realize this game was going to be full of annoying stock anime character? Fooled you thrice.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

New LR: FFXIII videos:

Showing off how the hub teleportation works from The Thirteenth Ark.

The end of the video links to the other four area videos. Should help you give a sense of the scale LR will have.

Gotta say, I'm not too sure on Lightning's new costume - it's certainly a new direction for Nomura - I've never played as a waitress with a bulging package before. :v:

That loving Sned posted:

Are there any characters in this series that don't show up in the sequels? Besides Bartandalus, I guess.

Ummmmm....Cid, the blue-haired-dude-who-is-such-a-minor-character-that-I've-forgotten-his-name, and that's about it I think? Oh, Hope's dad Not-Otacon, and, Nora aka "Moms are tough".

I was gonna say Jihl, but she's in the Coliseum DLC.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 13, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

That loving Sned posted:

Oh no

Oh noooooooooooooo

You know what this means. That irritating woman that always hung about with Hope is going to be back too. Are there any characters in this series that don't show up in the sequels? Besides Bartandalus, I guess.

The Lightning DLC more or less confirmed Yeul would come back. But... I'm not excited for that at all.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

That loving Sned posted:

Oh no

Oh noooooooooooooo

The writing looks amazing

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Overbite posted:

The writing looks amazing

I feel bad for the localizers because I am certain that is the absolute best result they could possibly wring out of Yeul's original lines.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SpaceDrake posted:

I feel bad for the localizers because I am certain that is the absolute best result they could possibly wring out of Yeul's original lines.

Square really needs to get the teams that did Nier and FF5a and tell them they can rewrite anything they want. I am convinced that's the only way you'll salvage anything from the dialogue in a FF these days.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Krad posted:

Here's the trailer for that free to play Agito game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FhDHFr0Kvg

Sure, it may look cool, but I know better by now. :colbert:

Speaking of which, has there been any official statement as to why Type-0 never made it over to the West? I was hoping that the combination of it and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together would be enough for me to get a PSP finally.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Defiance Industries posted:

Square really needs to get the teams that did Nier and FF5a and tell them they can rewrite anything they want. I am convinced that's the only way you'll salvage anything from the dialogue in a FF these days.

If it weren't for the fact that they'd mishandle everything else about it, Square buying Atlus could do wonders for their localizations.

EDIT: ... or destroy Atlus' localizations. Nevermind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

Speaking of which, has there been any official statement as to why Type-0 never made it over to the West? I was hoping that the combination of it and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together would be enough for me to get a PSP finally.

The came out in the dying days of the PSP and was a type of game not as popular in the US ("Cooperative Action") without online play. However it had high enough production values that it would actually involve a fairly serious investment to release in the US. They probably just didn't think it would sell enough to justify that.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

That's basically what they did with Realm Reborn, and it actually worked out pretty well :v:

My only real complaint with the loc work in that game is the mild overuse of "aught" and their misuse of "needs". (Yes, I know how they're trying to use it, but in a number of cases they don't actually use it correctly and it also sounds super awkward in their voiced dialogue.) Everything else text-wise in that game is sterling, in no small part because they let Ferenhalwes and crew go absolutely off the chain.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceDrake posted:

"He suffers because of us. Will you be his savior?"

It's pretty easy to take that dialogue and make it sound like actual words, albeit losing some of the nutty alien character from the original. I don't know enough about the localization process to know if there's some irritating "writer" breathing down your neck the whole time about maintaining the character and rich symbolism of FF13's particular brand of gibberish though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The only bad thing about ARR's localization is the "needs", yeah. Well, I guess some of the archaic language is pretty wonky but it works for the characters using it, like Ifrit. And I guess all the 's in everything can get kinda overwhelming and the voice acting can get pretty bad at times and all the multitudes of sex jokes are pretty weird BUT MY POINT IS that the localization for ARR is super good, yes.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I don't know enough about the localization process to know if there's some irritating "writer" breathing down your neck the whole time about maintaining the character and rich symbolism of FF13's particular brand of gibberish though.

It seems to vary. SE's internal localization (according to wikipedia) works like:

quote:

The localization process depends on factors such as the development teams' wishes, as well as budget and schedule. Translation usually starts late in development, although some titles, like Final Fantasy XI, are translated from Japanese to English during initial development, making the translators appear more like additional planners than actual translators. A few titles, like The Bouncer, have actually been developed in English first and only then translated to Japanese.

Before a translation is greenlighted and translators are allocated, the localization, QA and marketing staff play through a build of the game and sometimes do a focus group study. The localization team's playthrough can sometimes take over 100 hours of gameplay. Once the company greenlights a localization project, a period of brainstorming starts in which glossary, style, naming schemes, fonts, etc. are chosen. During the translation phase, voiced sections are translated first. Text files are cross-checked by multiple translators and editors. The text is then integrated along with any graphic and sound changes, and the game goes to quality assurance. During a period of several weeks to up to three months, Japanese QA teams look for bugs while Western QA teams check linguistic issues. The localization team often re-plays the game during this phase, translates the manuals and help out on the guidebooks if these are made. Finally, the game is sent to the hardware manufacturers to be approved.

Challenges for the localization teams include space limitation (due to data storage and/or on-screen space), achieving a natural dialogue flow despite multiple plot branches and script lines being stored out of order, and, when voiced footage is not re-recorded for lip movement, dealing with file length and lip-synch limitations.
Changes

When translating its video games, Square Enix tries to take into account the cultural differences between Japan and the Western countries. This sometimes involves rewriting dialogue or altering graphics, animations, and sounds. For instance, in Chocobo Racing, visual references to the Japanese folk heroes Momotarō and Kiji were changed to depict Hansel and Gretel instead, since the game was designed mainly for children, and Hansel and Gretel are better known to Western children than Momotarō and Kiji.[1] According to Honeywood, trying to explain to the original development teams why some changes are needed can range from "frustrating to downright hilarious". Generally, older development teams trust the translators with making changes while newer teams can be more reluctant, though they usually build up trust gradually.

Quite how XIII's localisation was handled, I'm not too sure - the translation, however, speaks for itself.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Oh boy a "whence", now I just need a "thither" to complete yon tryhard bingo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

That loving Sned posted:

Oh no

Oh noooooooooooooo

Wait, the entire loving point of that goddamn second game was that Caius wanted to and succeeded at dying so that the time line would be hosed so that he and Yule could live happily never after because she didn't have to be reborn and die a painful death.

The Ending Showed them outside time, happy that Caius succeeded!

Why the gently caress is she back, reborn again? Every time some new plot thing shows up for 13-3 it makes 13-2 even more loving pointless.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Tempo 119 posted:

They should just let Alexander O. Smith translate it so we can get lots of arbitrary k's everywhere.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 13, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

I think it had something to do with one of the songs, possibly the main theme, causing problems with the game's international release. There have been articles and tweets suggesting that localisation and possibly voice recordings have been started/completed, but this is preventing them from releasing it.

It's similar to why Kingdom Hearts is never put on the PSN, since the main themes are by a musician who is not licensed for digital distribution. If Kingdom Hearts III comes to the PS4 and Xbox One, then it will either need to have different music, or negotiate a deal for it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

They should just let Alexander O. Smith translate it so we can get lots of arbitrary k's everywhere.

Of all the translators to freelance for SE, he's the most technickally proficient.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tempo 119 posted:

On a related note, good god drat does the FFXIV localization team love A Song of Ice and Fire. Can't go two lines without seeing the word "smallfolk" or having someone say "mummer's farce."

Also sex. Loooots of talking about sex.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Of all the translators to freelance for SE, he's the most technickally proficient.

I'll go with whoever translated FFIX, actually.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'll go with whoever translated FFIX, actually.

Too bad there's not a datalog that explains jokes you could read or you would have caught that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
C'mon, he didn't even get isufferable pedant. Let's just leave the wordplay for a better thread.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Too bad there's not a datalog that explains jokes you could read or you would have caught that.

It was a terrible joke, so I moved along.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Did TGS proper start yet? I need my virtual boyband fix.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Level Slide posted:

Did TGS proper start yet? I need my virtual boyband fix.

I'm actually kinda disappointed that we're probably just going to get the E3 trailer of FFXV.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fungah! posted:

On a related note, good god drat does the FFXIV localization team love A Song of Ice and Fire. Can't go two lines without seeing the word "smallfolk" or having someone say "mummer's farce."

Also sex. Loooots of talking about sex.

FFXII used both of those terms so its not unheard of for an FF game but yeah, I'd wager its entirely ASoIF in this case.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ImpAtom posted:

Man, you're giving good clear info. I don't think it matters that it's long.

Anyway:

What I've heard with regards to Nomura is that he's extremely unfocused. I'd heard the CG thing you mentioned before and there are a lot of stories about how he is extremely fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants with almost all aspects of development. It isn't really a good thing though because it isn't flexible fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants but just a general lack of focus. Some of the supposedly leaks with regards to FFXIIvs basically hinted that they were basically making things up as they went along. I haven't really heard anything about this changing with regards to FFXV either, which is part of why I don't have a lot of faith in the game despite wanting to play it. It may have a good battle system but everything else is up in the air.

There's also got to be a lot of internal pressure from Square-Enix and unfortunately nothing I've heard about S-E development suggests they have a good focused intentional pressure but instead a frantic desire to satisfy to what they think the demand is.

I think Nomura has done a lot for Square-Enix and is a big part why they're not doing as bad as they probably should be doing. While the brand has been heavily mismanaged over the past few years, Nomura has created another pillar in the company through the Kingdom Hearts series. Even taking the FFvs13/FF15 development hell fiasco into account, he still managed to oversee several KH spinoff ganes and scout enough talent to create SE Osaka.

If you read about the making of The World Ends With, then you can tell why the game was so unique and why his bigger budget games take so long to make. The game was so unique and well-crafted because they could afford to make significant changes in design well into development. It also helped that the game's low budget allowed them a lengthy QA period in which they could address problems in the story and gameplay.

Here is what they had to say about the story:

Gamasutra posted:

2. A story created by committee (and free of those pesky RPG plot holes)!

Like all other aspects of development, story development was done by committee. Each director was given his own writing team, which brainstormed over the general story background, plot, and other elements.

Because the over arching story has the player trapped in Shibuya, the story needed an air of mystery about it, so the team was determined to avoid any plot holes.

One contradiction in a story like ours could bring down the house of cards, so the team worked carefully to keep the storyline locked down. The game's designers took part in the writing process as well, ensuring that as many eyes as possible went over the plot, searching for holes and offering input from every conceivable angle.

After the final story was in place, we had our Q/A department go over everything as a final failsafe. To our surprise (and horror), they tracked down several inconsistencies we had managed to miss during our multiple checks.

Their diligence reminded us of how critical it is to view the game from the player's perspective -- and these extensive preliminary story checks are becoming a standard at the company.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132401/postmortem_square_enixs_the_.php

TWEWY benefited from this collaborative scattershot approach because of the game's low budget and small scope. It was relatively easy to communicate, exchange ideas, and have a shared vision throughout the development cycle due to the low headcount. A development methodology such as this wouldn't work as well in typical AAA game.

I always felt that Nomura was similar to Hironobu Sakaguchi in that he seems good in identifying and nurturing talent. I don't think he's as good as Sakaguchi when it came to making the company more well-rounded but he helps fill a void created by Sakaguchi's absence. After FFV's development, Sakaguchi moved from a hands-on project director to being a producer and company manager. This was around the time Squaresoft (as it was known then) experienced some of their most profitable and well-received years. They had a prolific release schedule and experimented with many of their games, such as Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, and Xenogears.

Sakaguchi contributed a lot to Squaresoft's growing cache of talent and brands. He scouted out Yasumi Matsuno after the success of Tactics Ogre. He spearheaded Chrono Trigger and made it into a highly collaborative project alongside Yuji Horii and many others. The fertile creative groundwork for CT led to valuable experience for many promising designers and helped creates games such as Secret of Mana. Parasite Eve became an offshoot of Sakaguchi's original vision for FF7. He pushed for the creation of a Final Fantasy MMORPG after seeing the success of Everquest. He gave a lot of opportunities to young designers, such as Tetsuya Takahashi.

I always felt Sakaguchi wasn't as good of a game designer as he was a producer. While he had his flops, Sakaguchi understood a company's greatest asset was its people. I feel that the loss of talent and the inability to readily replace it has further exacerbated the bureaucratic inertia within Square-Enix.

An unfortunate reality about game development is that many studios have to relearn techniques due to constant turnover. Statistics show that many people in American game development usually don't stay at a company for more than two years. It's rare to find a AAA game company with extremely low turnover, such as Valve. The reason why Diablo III lacked many of the features in its predecessor, such as a ladder system, is because the veteran Blizzard North team was replaced by a team largely composed of people with a MMORPG and RTS background. A simplified stat system and skill tree may work in a MMORPG but would end up being shallow in a game centered entirely around combat and looting. A company shouldn't have to relearn how to pull off something that did in their past games but it happens more often than not.

As for management, I don't know to much about Wada and the rest of the board of directors. From what I've read and learned from people who worked for Square-Enix NA, Wada was a was very ambition CEO and wanted to make the publisher into an international leader (a EA/Activision level publisher) rather than a regional power. He did this through a number of acquisitions and an aggressive push into AAA development in order to beat EA/Acti-Blizz.

For example, FFXIV was rushed out in in order to beat WoW: Cataclysm's release and address boardroom criticism of Final Fantasy games taking too long to come out. FFXIV would release in the same calendar year as the NA/Europe release of FFXIII and this become a constant talking point on financial statements. His push towards AAA prevented the company from properly identifying and addressing the development/technical issues they encountered during FF12's development. Dragon Quest came out pretty much unscathed because its creator, Yuji Horii, had strong creative control due to his longstanding relationship with Enix and formed new, lucrative relationship with Nintendo. Again, I don't know much about the inner-working of the board of directors but this is what I have been told about him.

The new guy, Yosuke Matsuda, seems to be interested in developing their mobile lineup and pursuing strong growth markets.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Okay, Sunning, now you have* to tell us what your day job is. Because this is some comprehensive and informative stuff.

Analyst? Journo? Mail guy?

(*You don't actually have to.)

I am none of those things.

bow chicka wow wow posted:

Might buy Platinum tomorrow just so I can find all the Sunning posts scattered across Games. If you don't get paid at least a little bit to write about the industry you probably should.

Don't spend your money for just that reason. I haven't been here long and I haven't posted much.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Why!?

You're supposed to be de-

Wait poo poo right you're not dead because of dumb bullshit reasons! Argh!
Why SE? Why!? Nobody likes Yeul. Nobody! Not even people who like and defend 13-2 like Yeul!

Oh, also

SSNeoman posted:

even you have to admit that ~chaos~ is just a walking asspull+handwave that they will use any time ~paradox~ does not suffice.

Why does time work/not work? Cause' chaos!
Why can people use magic? Chaos!
Why is the world falling apart? Chaos!
How will they bring Snowe back? Chaos!
Why would Hope meet his dead Mom again? Because Chaos from the other world!
Why would Caius never die? Chaos!

See? I'm guessing plot points and using this ridiculous explanation to cover it up. And it sounds plausible. It REALLY shouldn't! I mean I'd rather they just said "just because, now shut up and enjoy the game". It would at least be honest, as opposed to using this extraordinarily lazy plot device and trying to dress it up as brilliant.

Did I call it or what?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
In terms of the series' continued decline in quality, Yeul reappearing in Lightning Returns should be a minor thing. But it certainly doesn't bode well for how the game will turn out.

Also it's not as much fun to laugh at as the fedora guy in FF15's trailer. If you're going to be dumb, SE, you should put more effort into it!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think the importance of translations can be overstated. Even if 8-4 did all the XIII games, they couldn't have saved them. Might I remind you all that, in addition to NieR, they also did Star Ocean 4.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Didn't he also work on X? That game was translated well and had no excessive k's.

Should get the dudes who worked on X-2's dub. Joseph Reeder (Smith's partner) was involved.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
He also did Breath of Fire 5, Star Ocean 3, Apollo Justice, and a handful of novels and they don't have those either. It's basically only the main Ivalice games that have it. Tactics Advance don't have them either and he did that too.

EDIT: Also Tactics Ogre LUCT doesn't from what I remember.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 14, 2013

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

Why!?

You're supposed to be de-

Wait poo poo right you're not dead because of dumb bullshit reasons! Argh!
Why SE? Why!? Nobody likes Yeul. Nobody! Not even people who like and defend 13-2 like Yeul!

Oh, also

Did I call it or what?

Not being dead when she's supposed to is literally the entire foundation of Yeul's character, I don't know why you're suddenly flying off the handle about this.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Wasn't the whole point of 13-2 to make her stay dead? And Caius succeded in that, right? That's why everything goes to poo poo at the end.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Attitude Indicator posted:

Wasn't the whole point of 13-2 to make her stay dead? And Caius succeded in that, right? That's why everything goes to poo poo at the end.

No, the point was to stop time so Yeul wouldn't die. And no one else would, for that matter.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
And he certainly succeeded in that he broke time.

Apparently not for very long, though. Everything we've seen of 13-3 has suggested that time got fixed off-screen, between games.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Fixing time will be done in a Japan-only mobile game that bridges XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, and also contains information critical to understanding the plot of LR.

And of FFXV.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The mobile game will chronicle (pre-nasty green soup) Noctis' D&D campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Fungah! posted:

Mummers' farce is a very olden English thing but smallfolk is more than likely from ASoIaF. I like XIV's localization but I'd rather have them lean more towards Alexander O. Smith than GRRM.