Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Verloc posted:

That guy pulls off Krieger pretty well. Then again, I'm always a sucker for Krieger-san and Waifu cosplay no matter how much I see it done.

-50 points for the waifu not wearing one of those creepy anime masks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

Happy Patriot Day

That costume is pretty sikh.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Bongo Bill posted:

That costume is pretty sikh.

:golfclap:

I am irrationally upset that I did not think of that.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Did he Singh the national anthem?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Great, another punjab derail.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Rocketlex posted:

I saw video of those two walking around the PAX floor. It's pretty cool looking even without the spooky lighting.

I'm surprised no one took their only ever opportunity to punch a Deathlord right in the loving nuts.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Tested.com did a pretty cool write-up in cooperation with the armor builders. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more info on the bodysuits they wore underneath, but that might be covered in the individual build logs - I didn't have time today to click through to the makers' actual sites.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

The Electronaut posted:

Photo I took at Dragon*Con this year.

I seriously had to look twice, because this dude totally looks like CM Punk.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Officer Farva posted:

I seriously had to look twice, because this dude totally looks like CM Punk.

Not seeing it myself...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Reo posted:

Best thing at DragonCon this year:

From a couple pages back, but this owns and one of the dudes is Volpin, who makes a whole ton of amazing props.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sire Oblivion posted:

From a couple pages back, but this owns and one of the dudes is Volpin, who makes a whole ton of amazing props.

This dude made an amazing replica of the Holophonor :aaa:

http://www.volpinprops.com/holophonor-futurama/

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Macaluso posted:

This dude made an amazing replica of the Holophonor :aaa:

http://www.volpinprops.com/holophonor-futurama/

Took me a second to notice the stand, which is also awesome.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Sire Oblivion posted:

I assume it's the one on the right, because the dude one the left appears to have a Nerf gun.

(and that holophonor is amazing, jeez)

//edit regarding the link: The thing that impresses me about Volpin is that he seems to be the antithesis of the jealous secret-holders that you sometimes see in the copsplay community. He details exactly how he makes things - down to the exact materials he uses - because he has total confidence in the quality of his work to make it stand out from imitators.

Artemis J Brassnuts has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Sep 14, 2013

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Really? Keeping one's methods secret is a thing? I've heard of a few people that did that (like the one douchebag with the Iron Man suits who won that kiddie costume contest) but everyone I know dedicates entire Facebook albums to their process for the world to see. It really is about skill level and creativity, because if one person can figure out how to make a holophonor from scratch there's gotta be a dozen more who can do it just as well.

(I probably would have used an oboe to start with, but it's way easier to find a crappy old clarinet.)

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I'm certainly not involved enough in the community to speak with any authority, but earlier in the year I was trying to find info on a spiderman suit for Halloween, it was a nightmare. People wouldn't disclose anything about the patterns or templates, where they got them printed or who sewed them together. I ended up just buying a cheap suit from China because I couldn't find any solid info.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Yeah. I've been working on a rocketeer helmet, and I specifically remember contacting a guy on TheRPF about how he'd done the finishing metallic effects on the thing, and the only answers I got were "It's a trade secret" and "I'd be happy to finish your helmet for you for [$texas]". I wish I had enough free time on my hands to just finish hobby props for a living just so that I could be this guy's competition, after that.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
Yes, yes it is. When I first wanted to get into costuming I sent messages to more an a couple of the "well known" girls... Completely ignored. I would post a simple question about say the weight of the chest piece of her Wonder Woman armor or how it was attached to the corset... Nothing. Thy would respond to guys saying how pretty they were or how awesome they were but wouldn't answer a legitimate question.

So I try to do the exact opposite. I have much respect for others who do the same.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The trick is to ask actual craftsmen and craftswomen like Volpin instead of the people who buy and wear the costumes. Typically if someone refuses to tell you how something was made, they didn't make it themselves. People who make things themselves love to explain how they did it.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

The trick is to ask actual craftsmen and craftswomen like Volpin instead of the people who buy and wear the costumes. Typically if someone refuses to tell you how something was made, they didn't make it themselves. People who make things themselves love to explain how they did it.

Yeah, that was my problem. I assumed everyone made their own stuff. Now I'm lucky enough to have people I can go to for help but I very nearly gave up before I even started because of that.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Went to Scarefest in Lexington today. Took a couple of photos and I'll edit this with them after this migraine I have coming on goes away.

e:Most of the costumes I saw were generic zombies/Freddy/Jason/Michael Myers but here are a few I saw that I thought stood out.

The slenderist pyramid head.

fallin1 has a new favorite as of 03:18 on Sep 15, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah, that's one thing you really see on the Syfy show too.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I'm certainly not involved enough in the community to speak with any authority, but earlier in the year I was trying to find info on a spiderman suit for Halloween, it was a nightmare. People wouldn't disclose anything about the patterns or templates, where they got them printed or who sewed them together. I ended up just buying a cheap suit from China because I couldn't find any solid info.

I sewed a dye printed Spider-Man for a fellow goon and finding any "how to" was impossible. I should probably post all my process pictures up somewhere.

DetectiveSlowpoke
Mar 30, 2010

The best detective
I posted this over in the cosplay creation thread but I thought it was appropriate here too. I went to PAX as the Skullkid this year. I'm happy with it except not buying material to cover my pasty-rear end arms and match the legs.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
It has been nearly a year since I started trying to get all three of these things in the same place at the same time. Finally got them together.

Need an Akira bike or 1:1 Bebop.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I was up at NDK this weekend. Here's some highlights:

Raiden and Metal Gear Ray.

Archer crew with a bonus Waifu~

Androids 18 and 17.

Saw a fantasitic Scarecrow outside the Starbucks.

A pair of Journey, uh, people? I don't know if they have a name. Anyway, the one in white is my friend, Jill. She got stopped for pictures almost nonstop in that outfit!

These guys from Nightmare Before Christmas were pretty incredible.

I thought this Nightvale costume was pretty clever.

Got a high-five from The Todd :smug:

And my personal favorite:

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

DetectiveSlowpoke posted:

I posted this over in the cosplay creation thread but I thought it was appropriate here too. I went to PAX as the Skullkid this year. I'm happy with it except not buying material to cover my pasty-rear end arms and match the legs.

This is incredible, I wouldn't have even noticed the arms if you didn't say anything.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Simon Petrikov/Ice King

Simon and Marcy

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Some of the booth babes at the Tokyo Game Show so far, I wonder how heavy those weapons are?!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Jet Ready Go posted:

Some of the booth babes at the Tokyo Game Show so far, I wonder how heavy those weapons are?!

Great steroid usage has spread to the conventions.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Trast posted:

Great steroid usage has spread to the conventions.

Papermache with helium cells. The realdoll on the right almost looks ... Real?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Reo posted:

Best thing at DragonCon this year:

Hahaha! So Volpin of Volpin Props posted on his Facebook page that he received a cease and desist letter from the company who made that carpet. No loving joke.

DetectiveSlowpoke
Mar 30, 2010

The best detective

Optimist with doubt posted:

This is incredible, I wouldn't have even noticed the arms if you didn't say anything.
That's what everyone says. It's just one of those things I noticed and bugs me now.

foxatee posted:

Hahaha! So Volpin of Volpin Props posted on his Facebook page that he received a cease and desist letter from the company who made that carpet. No loving joke.
That's amazing.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

foxatee posted:

Good lord, imagine the tort case:

"Alright you impersonated this carpet this guy makes"

"Yup, it was a costume"

"Okay well can you show us"

*raucous laughter*

"Good stuff, I rule in favor of the defendant because the plaintiff is an rear end in a top hat, your costume is hilarious"

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Well, to be clear, they were also selling the fabric they used online.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

WaterIsPoison posted:

This is true, and I should've mentioned that. But still, as he said, out of all the props he's made over the years, this has got to be the most ridiculous thing to get a C&D over.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

WaterIsPoison posted:

That's a... rather niche market.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Fister Roboto posted:

That's a... rather niche market.

He's a really prominent prop-maker and the costume was a huge hit at a convention that pulls more than 50,000 people every year, plus you earn money from selling your fabric on Spoonflower without having to do any work past the initial art creation. If I were him, I'd've listed it, too.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

McPantserton posted:

He's a really prominent prop-maker and the costume was a huge hit at a convention that pulls more than 50,000 people every year, plus you earn money from selling your fabric on Spoonflower without having to do any work past the initial art creation. If I were him, I'd've listed it, too.

I didn't get to see the actual pattern on spoonflower. If it wasn't an exact copy of the carpet pattern then they haven't got a leg to stand on. It's similar but not the same...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

foxatee posted:

This is true, and I should've mentioned that. But still, as he said, out of all the props he's made over the years, this has got to be the most ridiculous thing to get a C&D over.

Okay, that changes things. Fabric patterns are copyrighted designs and selling it turns it from a bit of harmless fun to actual problem. I'm sure it's being framed by a lot of people as "getting threatened over making a costume", but that's something the carpet company would want to cut off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Killer_Frost posted:

I didn't get to see the actual pattern on spoonflower. If it wasn't an exact copy of the carpet pattern then they haven't got a leg to stand on. It's similar but not the same...

Here is the pattern they were selling, it's pretty close.

• Locked thread