Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geera
May 20, 2003
Sitting the ICND1 100-101 exam this afternoon. I've scored over 90% in 3 of the last 4 practice tests I took, still kinda anxious though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

geera posted:

Sitting the ICND1 100-101 exam this afternoon. I've scored over 90% in 3 of the last 4 practice tests I took, still kinda anxious though!

Wasn't the 640-822 still available? I made that mistake twice before.

Hopefully you passed regardless

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Island Nation posted:

Why is it a mistake? The newer test has updated topics and is a great idea if you start out studying it.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

QPZIL posted:

Why is it a mistake? The newer test has updated topics and is a great idea if you start out studying it.

My Cisco Academy courses were set up with the 640-8xx courses in mind and I was advised the x00-101 courses were much more difficult. That's why I thought everybody wanted to pass the two before 10/1 when the 640 tests get removed.

geera
May 20, 2003

Island Nation posted:

The old exams are available until the end of this month, but I took the ICND1 2.0 class, so 100-101 made more sense for me to take anyway. And I passed! :toot:

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
How was 100-101? I'm in that academy class now on the application layer.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Oh and which practice tests were you using??

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

MrBigglesworth posted:

I found the 100-101 surprisingly easy, compared to the 640

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Passed ICND2 with an 860, which is great, but I went into it feeling like I knew it cold, so I guess I have some more work today before continuing on. I think the new baby level VMware cert is my next target.

geera
May 20, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

Without getting in to specifics, it was a little more challenging than I expected, but not too bad overall. I don't have anything to compare it to since this was my first Cisco exam. I was surprised that all of the simulations it gave me involved using console commands to answer questions; there were no configuration sims like in the practice tests. I don't know if that's normal or if I just lucked out.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Oh and which practice tests were you using??
I bought the official practice questions from Cisco. They helped a lot, since I was able to identify my weak areas. It also helps a lot that they gave explanations for every question I got wrong at the end of the practice test. I didn't buy any additional study guides or prep books, I just used the ICND1 class materials and the Cisco practice questions (and https://www.subnettingquestions.com).

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Passed the CCDE written to re-cert my CCIE so I am good till 2017 now. :dance: Now I need to figure out if I want to sit for the practical.

edit: a word.

dotster fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 12, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

70-647 attempt # 3 in 2 hours. Hope this one goes better.

Edit: 880! gently caress that test. MCITP:EA done!

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 12, 2013

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

dotster posted:

Passed the CCDE written to re-cert my CCIE so I am good till 2017 now. :dance: Now I need to figure out if I want to sit for the practical.

edit: a word.

2017? Thought it only renews for 24mths each re-certification.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

routenull0 posted:

2017? Thought it only renews for 24mths each re-certification.

I recerted a month before my date and that made me good till 2015, then a month into my 2 years I passed a different test so that recerted me for the following 2 years, through 2017. You don't have to wait 6 months if you take a different test.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
What's the best study resource for the VCAP5-DCD? I bought the VMware Press book and I have a Train Signal account but I'm really looking to prep as hard as possible.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

El_Matarife posted:

What's the best study resource for the VCAP5-DCD? I bought the VMware Press book and I have a Train Signal account but I'm really looking to prep as hard as possible.

http://www.amazon.com/VCAP5-DCD-Official-Cert-Guide-Certification/dp/078975018X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379024953&sr=8-1&keywords=vcap+dcd is a good one, http://professionalvmware.com/brownbags/ , and some other blogs are what I follow

Let me know if you want to study I am shooting for DCD as well

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

I sent you a PM about that a week ago, I'd love to put together a VCDX study group on Google+ or something. :) I got the DCD book, does anyone else have a test bank or exercises available?

It's super annoying that Kindle purchases of these cert books don't have the DVD content included somehow. I'm so sick of buying physical books.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Going to put my MCSA on hold to smash out exchange 2010 before the certificate goes EOL. Outside of the SPE book, what do people recommend?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
640-816 today and I'm nervous as hell...anybody have some good last minute free practice questions?

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

El_Matarife posted:

I sent you a PM about that a week ago, I'd love to put together a VCDX study group on Google+ or something. :) I got the DCD book, does anyone else have a test bank or exercises available?

I'd like to get in on / help with a VCDX prep group, too. Hoping to defend at next year's VMworld (and re-defend at the following PEX). I've helped three people get it, and am working on building out essentially a VCDX factory at the day job.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Pantology posted:

I'd like to get in on / help with a VCDX prep group, too. Hoping to defend at next year's VMworld (and re-defend at the following PEX). I've helped three people get it, and am working on building out essentially a VCDX factory at the day job.

We're shooting for a ten person study group since that's the max we can do on Google+ video calls. I've got three or so people from my local VMUG I can bring. I think we're just about to hit our ideal number, so if anyone else wants in, you should hurry up and post or PM me.

Dijon Vu
Nov 5, 2011

Beliebt
I just passed my ITIL foundations exam about an hour ago. It's my first IT certificate so I'm in a pretty good mood about it. I'm not sure if I should start on another cert or study a new language now, but at least I'll feel more confident applying for work.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
CCNA passed...now I just need to convince someone to give me a job doing it.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

The Third Man posted:

CCNA passed...now I just need to convince someone to give me a job doing it.

Congrats man! And good luck, I hope to post the same thing Thursday.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

skipdogg posted:

Yeah, the community here is pretty cool. I got into my VCP course this fall as well. 219 bucks for 16 Tuesday nights. I'm 32... I feel too old to go back to community college.
How you feelin about your VCP class? I'm a little disappointed in mine for the following reasons:

1) we're paired up, so we alternate tasks. I'm not as antisocial as being an IT person on SA might make you think, but I'd much rather work on my own, because I know exactly what areas are second nature and what I'd like to pay a little extra attention to.

2) we're skipping some pretty big areas. He's already confirmed that we're not getting to dvswitches or DRS. Bleh.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How you feelin about your VCP class? I'm a little disappointed in mine for the following reasons:

1) we're paired up, so we alternate tasks. I'm not as antisocial as being an IT person on SA might make you think, but I'd much rather work on my own, because I know exactly what areas are second nature and what I'd like to pay a little extra attention to.

2) we're skipping some pretty big areas. He's already confirmed that we're not getting to dvswitches or DRS. Bleh.

I don't really care about the class to much, I'm only taking it so I can actually get the cert.

There's only 5 'pods' in the classroom so I'm actually on a team with 4 other guys. I let them do all the work since 3 of them have zero VMware experience. It's still early so we're doing basics like installing vSphere and vCenter, stuff like that. We only meet once a week on Tuesday night.

My teacher has also said we won't get into dvswitches, but he said we should make it to DRS.

I try not to get frustrated in the course, the guy teaching it is the typical CC IT Teacher. Was in IT in the 80's and 90's, and moved to teaching during/after the tech bust so he's never used this stuff in production and doesn't have much of a clue. He ends up asking me and another guy a lot of questions since we actually use the stuff at work. The first class I was incredibly frustrated by the way he was explaining all the pieces of VMware, he did it very poorly and folks were clearly confused.

All in all though I'm not looking to take anything away from it at all. I paid for the class so I can get the classroom time for the cert. I have a crazy nice lab at work from an decommissioned cluster I re-purposed where I can do whatever I want (4 x HP G6 servers and FC MSA SAN)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
HOLY loving poo poo ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS?

skipdogg posted:

I try not to get frustrated in the course, the guy teaching it is the typical CC IT Teacher. Was in IT in the 80's and 90's, and moved to teaching during/after the tech bust so he's never used this stuff in production and doesn't have much of a clue. He ends up asking me and another guy a lot of questions since we actually use the stuff at work. The first class I was incredibly frustrated by the way he was explaining all the pieces of VMware, he did it very poorly and folks were clearly confused.

This infuriates me to a point like no other...

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Every technical class I've ever taken at a community college is led by an instructor exactly as skipdogg described.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If your instructor doesn't work IT in the AM be very afraid.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

HOLY loving poo poo ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS?

This infuriates me to a point like no other...

Given that it's a CC and there are a substantial number of students in those classes that have no idea what virtualization even means, that type of teacher seems pretty appropriate. No point wasting a truly knowledgeable prof on people who don't have the background to get it. The real sin is mandatory classroom time on a cert that's supposed to cover OTJ experience.

The really advanced people who know and can teach about edge cases, feature interactions/limitations, and in-depth performance design aren't going to be leashed to a CC. They're probably going to be teaching on their own, online, and irregularly partnered with major universities or tech consulting firms.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

keseph posted:

Given that it's a CC and there are a substantial number of students in those classes that have no idea what virtualization even means, that type of teacher seems pretty appropriate. No point wasting a truly knowledgeable prof on people who don't have the background to get it.

No gently caress that, in my class we have people who never touched vmware, network or had no idea what iSCSI is but that shouldn't mean poo poo to anyone who takes pride in what they do. It doesn't matter if they are first time beginners or grey beards they all deserve to have the best possible educational experience that they can. I honestly wouldn't be in where I am today if people had that "wasting a knowledgeable person".poo poo I never EVER thought I would meet and eat with a VCDX in Vegas, poo poo I was a base level VCP at that time and hell I have a LOOONG way to go before I ever get to that level but ya know what, It really taught me a lot and helped me get to where I am and want to be. I realize some of the students in my class and elsewhere are just there for the cert but that is not and excuse to half rear end something and I have yet to meet anyone who knows EVERYTHING, so until then there is something everyone can learn.

Seriously, just because they are new or un-knowledgeable doesn't mean the teach can be lovely, that is the job of the teacher to teach the knowledge and experience to others. I mean some of these people are coming from a managerial, Project Manager, or some other background; In which may need to learn as much as they can about a product to help better their job, and other peoples as well.

quote:

The real sin is mandatory classroom time on a cert that's supposed to cover OTJ experience.
Yeah because having "MCSE" level people work with highly complex systems and such is a great idea... At least the class means they know SOMETHING.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004

Deal with it. I've worked as an IT trainer for 2 and a half years in two different stints. There are people who are good educators, and there are those just in it for a paycheck.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
My CCNA teacher knows his poo poo.

Anyway, I am still in the Networking Academy class and just finished chapters 10 and 11 of the Intro to Networks class. Chapter 10 was the application layer, chapter 11 was networking concepts on basic router functions and overview of security type stuff.

Lowest score on any test was a 71% on like, chapter 3, Data Link layer stuff, after retakes, since then, my absolute lowest has been 89% on concepts of Ethernet. All others have been 100% with a max attempt of 2 tries. Most of these are 22-25 questions a piece.

I just took the overall practice exam of 57 questions and got 89% on first try, 95% on second try. The final test for this session of the course is Monday night. Instructor says if we do ok on the practice should be fine on the exam in the class. I hope to living gently caress it isnt like my 70-642 class where as the practice poo poo was down cold but the real test I bombed on.

I still contend that the one question about Fiber Optics having a valid option of "not as susceptible to RFI and EMI" is loving wrong. Fiber is immune to that poo poo, or was as explained in the material and was my understanding as compared to copper networks.

We start Routing and Switching Essentials on Wednesday.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 14, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MrBigglesworth posted:

I still contend that the one question about Fiber Optics having a valid option of "not as susceptible to RFI and EMI" is loving wrong. Fiber is immune to that poo poo, or was as explained in the material and was my understanding as compared to copper networks.

We start Routing and Switching Essentials on Wednesday.

It's basically simple EM spectrum, light is on a completely different spectrum than potential sources of interference such as cell phones(800 to 2200 MHz)

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I took a Pearson survey and received a coupon code for their online store. 50% off Cisco Press books is a pretty sweet deal.

http://www.pearsonitcertification.com/store/

Code: LEARNINGSURVEY

Expires Oct 31st, and good for a single transaction. Free shipping (in the US). Doesn't work on book + ebook combos, but I bet you could buy the dead tree books and use the included coupon code to upgrade to the practice test ebook at the discounted rate.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
OKAY ICM PEOPLE I HAVE FINISHED MY LAB I can host a few goons PLEASE PM ME for details

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

Has anyone here gotten their CCNA Service Provider? I just finished a training course for the SPNGN1 (first of two exams) through work and I'm sitting the exam in 2.5 weeks. I have my CCNA:R&S but I'm worried about the IOS XR stuff (annoying differences in commands compared to IOS/IOS XE), and I actually work with IOS XR routers at my job. Just worried I'm going to freeze up on that stuff, but I guess I'll see how it goes and, in a worst case, learn the hard way what I need to focus on for a rewrite.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
I'm not saying super-smart people shouldn't teach IT classes. I'm saying they should focus on the higher-level content which no one else can teach, filled with the right srudents who are ready to learn it. That shmuck of a teacher you mentioned is a little shy of the mark but not by much for the audience you described. But it sounds like you're the outlier there, and the class is wasting your time; that's why mandatory class time is the real sin. You shouldn't be forced to waste your time in that classroom instead of spending that time learning something appropriate for where you're at; publish the test knowledge targets and let individuals choose what content and manner of instruction is most needed and useful to themselves, because classroom-style isn't the ideal method for everyone. It sure as hell isn't for me, and I'm extremely glad I didn't have to waste 200 hours in mandatory classrooms for the exams I took this year and another 120+ for the ones I have planned.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

OKAY ICM PEOPLE I HAVE FINISHED MY LAB I can host a few goons PLEASE PM ME for details

It's like you intentionally made sure the pony and your facebook were visible.

PS You get what you pay for with community colleges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

It's like you intentionally made sure the pony and your facebook were visible.

PS You get what you pay for with community colleges.

Welp been drinking a bit(nothing else to do on the weekends). Also see ya in a few years! I think I saw you at Charolette's VMUG.

And no it shouldn't be that way, you should pay for education and get some quality education. If I become some, by weird twist of impossible fate, VCDX by some construed thing, I will still teach at a CC. Just like one of the teachers who will probably sit his vcdx at PEX inspired me to do as well.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 15, 2013