Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Both X-Com: Enemy Unknown and Civilization 5 fit that description. They can both be played entirely with the mouse and are turn-based so there's no time pressure. Plus they're notoriously addictive and replayable so if you like strategy games they'll hold your attention for a long, long time.

Yeah ZI havve been trying to do some Civ5 and it is alright, but i need some variety :)

Maybe I will reinstall XCom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
I seriously am awful at RTS games, yet I quite enjoy them. So I'd like recommendations for games that are very easy on the easiest setting. I was able to finish Age of Mythology, but I can't finish, say, Starcraft or Command and Conquer. And I definitely don't have the time to learn to get better, so that's not an option.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Project1 posted:

I seriously am awful at RTS games, yet I quite enjoy them. So I'd like recommendations for games that are very easy on the easiest setting. I was able to finish Age of Mythology, but I can't finish, say, Starcraft or Command and Conquer. And I definitely don't have the time to learn to get better, so that's not an option.

Starcraft 2 on Easiest is easy to death. Some missions you can win without building anything, just using starting units.
E: I'd like to offer reassurances, but I can't find any words that don't end up sounding insulting.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Pierson posted:

I'm looking for a good third-person (not top-down or Wizardly-style, I already have enough of those) dungeon-crawler game for the PC, basically something like Dark Souls or Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen. I've tried Skyrim but all the dungeons in that thing are boring caves. Pessimism tells me I'm going to end up just waiting for Dark Souls 2, but I love in hope.

Dark Messiah is more linear than Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma, but it has great combat and dungeons.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a bunch of Free TBS games to play with my girlfriend. Do you guys know of any awesome ones?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Cuntpunch posted:

I broke both my arms a few weeks ago. My dominant arm is going to need surgery and may be clumsy/unreliable for a while so I am looking for PC games, ideally on Steam or GoG, that are easy to play one-handed with the wrong hand, ideally:
Nothing that requires quick, precision clicking.
Nothing that requires two hands or a gamepad(the way my arm is immobilized means i cant hold one).
Replayability, as this is gonna be a while.

Any thoughts?

Amazing game in general, and you have as much time to click on what you decide to click as you need:

http://www.gog.com/game/king_of_dragon_pass

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Finally got a bit tired of Tropico 4 after 70-odd hours, and I'm looking for some similar city-building games to play. I've played SimCity 4 and Anno 2070, but they don't really scratch the same itch. Any suggestions?

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
I'm looking for a game for my Brother-in-law. He's not really much of a gamer but he's not a CoD person either. He's played all the Batman's and he's just finished the new Tomb Raider and loved it. I recommended him the upcoming Batman game but there's a baby due at the end of October so he's probably not gonna get much gaming time once the baby's arrived. I was thinking of Assassin's creed but I've only played the first one and I hated it because gently caress if I'm going to be doing silly mini games just so I can stab someone and I'm more of an RPG person so I'm not too sure if there's anything else out there like Batman or Tomb Raider. This is on the Xbox 360 so the adventures of Mr. Drake are out.

I'm basically looking for other suggestions other than Assassin's creed or perhaps one of the Assassin's Creeds out there he can jump in without knowing the plot/backstory. Thanks.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Project1 posted:

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth is pretty fun and easy. I liked the movie, so the clips and exposition were fun to watch, while the game is exciting without being terribly difficult.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

dPB posted:

I'm looking for a game for my Brother-in-law. He's not really much of a gamer but he's not a CoD person either. He's played all the Batman's and he's just finished the new Tomb Raider and loved it. I recommended him the upcoming Batman game but there's a baby due at the end of October so he's probably not gonna get much gaming time once the baby's arrived. I was thinking of Assassin's creed but I've only played the first one and I hated it because gently caress if I'm going to be doing silly mini games just so I can stab someone and I'm more of an RPG person so I'm not too sure if there's anything else out there like Batman or Tomb Raider. This is on the Xbox 360 so the adventures of Mr. Drake are out.

I'm basically looking for other suggestions other than Assassin's creed or perhaps one of the Assassin's Creeds out there he can jump in without knowing the plot/backstory. Thanks.

Due to the events in the last game, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag will likely be the most self-contained title in the series, but unfortunately it's out in October too.

Assassin's Creed III should do the trick. It introduces a new main character, and the Desmond stuff can be ignored entirely. Hell, the entire 'modern' setting for the games is goddamn awful and terribly written. If you played the first 15 minutes of the first game, you pretty much know everything you need to tell your brother-in-law for him to understand the story.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 13, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
AC3 is bad, get Sleeping Dogs instead. Its' essentially a GTA sandbox game with similar combat to the Arkham games and its great.

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth is pretty fun and easy. I liked the movie, so the clips and exposition were fun to watch, while the game is exciting without being terribly difficult.

Is this game still ultra-difficult to track down? I lost my CD key, sadly.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

dPB posted:

The Chronicles of Riddick games are self-contained with fairly unusual combat. Escape from Butcher Bay is much better than the sequel, however it's easier just to grab the second one since it comes with the Butcher Bay remake included. The games are both fairly short and based mostly around stabbing people with bits of metal.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Cockashocka posted:

As for what I'm sort of looking for, anyone know of any good PC Driving games that's about middle range when it comes to realism?
I love the beejeezus out of Driver: San Francisco. On the one hand it's not very realistic (I don't think you can even shift gears manually, for instance), but it's not completely arcade-y either and the cars handle in a weighty, if slightly exaggerated way. Basically if you enjoy movie car chases from the late 20th century, it's completely worth a shot.

It also helps that you're playing as a comatose cop who can take over every car on the streets of coma-induced faux San Francisco, resulting in hilarious conversations with various passengers because they cannot tell that the driver is someone else all of a sudden.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
I've decided that I want to play an RPG that has no (or limited) leveling, no (or limited) builds/talents, and limited focus on itemization. Think playing through Diablo 3 as Ryu from Street Fighter. Something along those lines anyways. It doesn't necessarily have to be side scroll, or 3d or whatever. Just some game where you take a preset character on an adventure, and maybe collect some new hats on the way.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

SmokeyXIII posted:

I've decided that I want to play an RPG that has no (or limited) leveling, no (or limited) builds/talents, and limited focus on itemization. Think playing through Diablo 3 as Ryu from Street Fighter. Something along those lines anyways. It doesn't necessarily have to be side scroll, or 3d or whatever. Just some game where you take a preset character on an adventure, and maybe collect some new hats on the way.

If you're interested in roguelikes, Brogue is almost exactly like this. The only stat your character has is Strength which determines what kind of equipment you can use. Almost all the progress is done through finding or enchanting your equipment.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

SmokeyXIII posted:

What about Skyrim? You gain levels but they go up based on getting better at whatever you use, and everything in the game matches your level so it's like they only exist on paper. You don't go out of your way for itemization and it's not a focal point of the game. There are builds I guess too, but you can play the game by just picking up whatever you trip over and using it to fight your way through the world.

To suggest a side-scroller, Rogue Legacy is a cool game. It's literally taking a preset character on an adventure every time you play. You have to pick between a couple random setups and delve into a dungeon until you die. Rinse, repeat, and pick up some new hats along the way at a good, slow pace instead of picking-up-all-the-loot. There's not much of a story though.

And both KOTORs have auto-level buttons that build every character (including yours) according to how they're developed by the story. I think they have optimize equipment buttons too. Just throwing that out there in case you mean heavy-story adventure, I wasn't really sure.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

The Royal Scrub posted:

What about Skyrim? You gain levels but they go up based on getting better at whatever you use, and everything in the game matches your level so it's like they only exist on paper. You don't go out of your way for itemization and it's not a focal point of the game. There are builds I guess too, but you can play the game by just picking up whatever you trip over and using it to fight your way through the world.

To suggest a side-scroller, Rogue Legacy is a cool game. It's literally taking a preset character on an adventure every time you play. You have to pick between a couple random setups and delve into a dungeon until you die. Rinse, repeat, and pick up some new hats along the way at a good, slow pace instead of picking-up-all-the-loot. There's not much of a story though.

And both KOTORs have auto-level buttons that build every character (including yours) according to how they're developed by the story. I think they have optimize equipment buttons too. Just throwing that out there in case you mean heavy-story adventure, I wasn't really sure.

Rogue Legacy looks really cool actually. I'm going to get it in the morning thanks!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any RPG's that are reminiscent of The Godfather or Boardwalk Empire? That kind of organized crime, romanticised. Non-rpgs are ok, but I didn't like the Godfather game because it became really repetitive really quick, and Omerta was a lovely buggy mess. I've already played LA: Noire.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Turtlicious posted:

Are there any RPG's that are reminiscent of The Godfather or Boardwalk Empire? That kind of organized crime, romanticised. Non-rpgs are ok, but I didn't like the Godfather game because it became really repetitive really quick, and Omerta was a lovely buggy mess. I've already played LA: Noire.

RPGs? Not any good ones, to my knowledge.

If by 'that kind of organized crime', you mean 1910-1950s American Mafia, there's also the Mafia games, with the first one being quite good and the second being hit-or-miss (mostly miss), and the Gangsters series. If you mean organized crime in general, there are a bunch of good games, most of which you probably already know about.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Chaos Overlords is more a strategy game and is more futuristic but it's got some cool things going for it. IIRC you could play in the vein of a classic, charismatic gang lord.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I need a highly mentally stimulating game, where progress is made by problem solving. I do not want an overt puzzle game like Spacechem, but something more like XCOM:EU where you have to be making decisions the whole time. Genre is not really important, except no puzzle/civilization games. Kerbal, FTL, Binding of Isaac, Dwarf Fort, the Batman Arkham games, and Papers Please all fit this category. The ability to brute force a solution from time to time is a huge plus.

E: :steam:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 15, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Evilreaver posted:

I need a highly mentally stimulating game, where progress is made by problem solving. I do not want an overt puzzle game like Spacechem, but something more like XCOM:EU where you have to be making decisions the whole time. Genre is not really important, except no puzzle/civilization games. Kerbal, FTL, Binding of Isaac, Dwarf Fort, the Batman Arkham games, and Papers Please all fit this category. The ability to brute force a solution from time to time is a huge plus.

That's a pretty diverse group of games. Would you consider something like Unity of Command? It's a hex-based wargame, but it's stripped down so you're not simulating being the logistics officer for a million squads. It has relatively simple rules/things to keep track of, but the AI is brutal as hell. I think my average turn time in Unity of Command is longer than it is in Civ V, and most of that is just spent playing out scenarios in my head.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Evilreaver posted:

Would recommending Dark Souls make me into some kind of dork? It really does seem to fit your description perfectly, especially if you listed the Arkham games as examples.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Any western Western RPGs? That is, RPGs set in the Old West, made by non-Japanese. The only thing remotely like that I can think of is that web game, Zero Summer.

E: PC/DOS/iOS.

Project1 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 15, 2013

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Would recommending Dark Souls make me into some kind of dork? It really does seem to fit your description perfectly, especially if you listed the Arkham games as examples.

I'd like to get into Dark Souls, but it's super brutal and I have no idea what I'm doing. Maybe I need some guides to get started, I'll check the 'what to know before starting a game' thread, I guess.

E: Especially since there is so much Dark Souls on the internet, I owe it to myself to play through for the references

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Evilreaver posted:

I'd like to get into Dark Souls, but it's super brutal and I have no idea what I'm doing. Maybe I need some guides to get started, I'll check the 'what to know before starting a game' thread, I guess.

E: Especially since there is so much Dark Souls on the internet, I owe it to myself to play through for the references

Don't be intimidated, you only need a little bit of information to be able to jump right in. The posts about it in the before I play thread should be more than enough. Chances are, you've played a number of games harder than Dark Souls in your life.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Evilreaver posted:

Holy gently caress I actually was able to recommend Dark Souls to someone that hasn't played it!

Pop in to the Dark Souls PC thread as well. I'm pretty sure that everyone's favorite thing to do in that thread is to help newbies. For some reason coaching newbies on Dark Souls is curiously rewarding. Add me on steam if you want (http://steamcommunity.com/id/solidsnakesbandana/) I would be more than happy to assist you. The truth is once you get the hang of it a few hours in, it stops being super brutal and simply becomes pretty drat hard.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
I'd really like a post apocalyptic city to explore. Played the poo poo out of the fallouts, playing the poo poo out of Zafehouse Diaries, highly anticipating PC State of Decay but I'm kinda in a rut on what to play now (doesn't have to be zombies though I'm a big fan of zombies). I played some dayz way back with goons and had a lot of fun, but it had a lot of hax and bugginess I'm kinda turned off on.

:madprops: for controller support, I only have a PC so a few that look good like The Last of Us are out.

Ganson fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 15, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ganson posted:

I'd really like a post apocalyptic city to explore. Played the poo poo out of the fallouts, playing the poo poo out of Zafehouse Diaries, highly anticipating PC State of Decay but I'm kinda in a rut on what to play now (doesn't have to be zombies though I'm a big fan of zombies). I played some dayz way back with goons and had a lot of fun, but it had a lot of hax and bugginess I'm kinda turned off on.

:madprops: for controller support, I only have a PC so a few that look good like The Last of Us are out.

You ever play the STALKER games?

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You ever play the STALKER games?

The first one, couldn't really get into it for some reason.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm after a uhh "background" game that's fun to watch as well as play. To be more specific, something with a mode that you progress through but story isn't terribly integral, no real skill curve so anyone can pick it up and start playing. The only example I can really think of is Pokemon Snap from the N64. Can be for any major console from Play Station one onwards. I guess P.c./emulated games would be okay but not ideal.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Ganson posted:

The first one, couldn't really get into it for some reason.

The third STALKER game - Call of Pripyat - is much more open-world and freeform than its predecessors. There is still a story, some objectives, etc - but it more or less just dumps you in the zone and says "have fun."

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Tea Bone posted:

I'm after a uhh "background" game that's fun to watch as well as play. To be more specific, something with a mode that you progress through but story isn't terribly integral, no real skill curve so anyone can pick it up and start playing. The only example I can really think of is Pokemon Snap from the N64. Can be for any major console from Play Station one onwards. I guess P.c./emulated games would be okay but not ideal.

The WWE wrestling games, AKA Fighty Sims. Features the most detailed character creation of any game series I've ever played, and computer-controlled matches are inexplicably very entertaining. WWE '11 is when the series started to become good again after years of "one step forward, two steps back," and you can get it for super cheap.

I think most of the fun is in having a full roster of wrestlers you've designed yourself, but if you've actually ever liked pro wrestling, WWE '13 or '14 will be better choices because there are a lot more "classic" wrestlers included.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

Cuntpunch posted:

The third STALKER game - Call of Pripyat - is much more open-world and freeform than its predecessors. There is still a story, some objectives, etc - but it more or less just dumps you in the zone and says "have fun."

It does? I have the first stalker game and put about 15-20 hours into it and was really disappointed in everything besides the combat or scary parts. The world is just littered with radiation walls, loot is non-existent in the game world aside from the modifiers or more ammo, every house or bunker is empty. I guess it is supposed to be like that but theres really no reason to "explore" in the game because theres nothing to find. Is CoP more RPG'y and can I run around and loot houses and stuff early on? The stalker series was always something I thought would be my perfect game until I played it.

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Tell me a few active/well-supported/developing browser-based turn-based strategies and/or RPGs which goons play?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Exergy posted:

Tell me a few active/well-supported/developing browser-based turn-based strategies and/or RPGs which goons play?

Card Hunter just came out and it's pretty cool so far, but it probably needs a bit of balance tweaking in the mid levels still.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Exergy posted:

Echo Bazaar / Fallen London although player interaction is very limited and requires social media integration (not sure if goon interaction was what you meant).

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
This might be a little too specific, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm looking for a "exploring a lost civilisation" type of game, where the civilisation was lost due to tragedy some time ago. Bioshock and System Shock 2 has the events happen too recently and there are too many immediate things going on, and Fallout 3 has some areas that were good for this, but has too many people around to talk to. If you know what Noctis is, that would be perfect, except that there really wasn't any immersion.

I want to feel like I'm all alone, looking for traces of my lost forebears, without any hope but doing it anyway out of sheer desperation.

Project1 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Cryostasis, maybe? Bit hard to find now and it runs like a dog, but it might be what you're after.