Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gregtech is my bitch :smug:. That pink dust to the left of redstone is chrome and iridium to the right of redstone. I really should make a fusion reactor but gently caress that :effort: Maybe someday when I am really bored I'll do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Looks more like you're gregtech's bitch.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

metasynthetic posted:

What you're describing I haven't encountered before. It may or may not be a bug, I would need a picture to say for sure. The barriers only check for a partner on block updates, so basically when they're placed, on redstone toggle, neighbor block changing, etc. If there's some kind of (non-vaporizable) obstacle in the way between two widely spaced resonators that gets removed later, no update occurs without one of those occuring. This is to avoid constantly checking if the path is clear every few ticks.

Primary suspect would be some kind of invisible but still there block like floodlight beams. Maybe that stupid Railcraft heat block thing?

We do have railcraft, so that might be it?

And the problem Nastyman described, about random patches of dirt that can't be tilled until replaced. Putting something ontop and removing it doesn't fix it, you have to dig up all the farmland, and put down the very same blocks. It's weird, and I have no idea how to fix that, no idea where to even start looking.

I don't think we tried to do a block update though. Maybe give that a try.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Dunno-Lars posted:

We do have railcraft, so that might be it?

And the problem Nastyman described, about random patches of dirt that can't be tilled until replaced. Putting something ontop and removing it doesn't fix it, you have to dig up all the farmland, and put down the very same blocks. It's weird, and I have no idea how to fix that, no idea where to even start looking.

I don't think we tried to do a block update though. Maybe give that a try.

If you have Railcraft, set the ID for block.hidden to 0. That thing breaks so much stuff, it's not even funny. (Unless you really really want to be able to use the Trackman's Goggles?)

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

tonic316 posted:

Gregtech is my bitch :smug:. That pink dust to the left of redstone is chrome and iridium to the right of redstone. I really should make a fusion reactor but gently caress that :effort: Maybe someday when I am really bored I'll do it.

What mod are those monitors from?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Serifina posted:

If you have Railcraft, set the ID for block.hidden to 0. That thing breaks so much stuff, it's not even funny. (Unless you really really want to be able to use the Trackman's Goggles?)

I don't even know what those are. I will "fix" the trail thing when I get home.

We had a bit of a cow infestation, as I found out the chronotyper in the breeding facility was 1 block short to cover the whole room, enabling the cows to overwhelm the... Walls. And in the slaughter area with the calves, the slaughterhouse had dead spots as well. They are all dead now, and I will have to reinforce the walls with spikes or something before I repopulate it.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Dunno-Lars posted:

We had a bit of a cow infestation, as I found out the chronotyper in the breeding facility was 1 block short to cover the whole room, enabling the cows to overwhelm the... Walls. And in the slaughter area with the calves, the slaughterhouse had dead spots as well. They are all dead now, and I will have to reinforce the walls with spikes or something before I repopulate it.

Are blocks less... penetrable (I guess) than fences? Cause I had a 5x5 area surrounded by fences that I used to breed cows. There were only like four of them in there, but every now and then I'd come back to the pen and there'd be calves outside the fence even though power to my chronotyper was never interrupted.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

RaspberryCommie posted:

Are blocks less... penetrable (I guess) than fences? Cause I had a 5x5 area surrounded by fences that I used to breed cows. There were only like four of them in there, but every now and then I'd come back to the pen and there'd be calves outside the fence even though power to my chronotyper was never interrupted.

I think it is when there are several in one square/block, and they start pushing eachother around. Some will then glitch through 1 thick walls, or suffocate inside it. Making the walls 2 thick should suffocate them every time instead of releasing them.

If I could figure out how to get ICBM mod gun turrets to fire on cows, that would fix it, as we have turrets around the perimeter against mods, and AA guns in the middle for wisps. Sounds awesome when you are deep underground, and the guns start up...!

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
So I've been watching Direwolf20's videos recently and I'm pretty hype for Thaumcraft 4 and Ars Magica 2. Any release dates on them?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

RaspberryCommie posted:

What mod are those monitors from?

Information Panels.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Broand posted:

So I've been watching Direwolf20's videos recently and I'm pretty hype for Thaumcraft 4 and Ars Magica 2. Any release dates on them?

Nope. When they are released you'll learn it pretty quickly if you watch this thread.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Dunno-Lars posted:

Yeah, I have yet to hear about anyone using that function of Railcraft. It's supposed to let you see where people have walked or something, but who the hell cares about that, particularly when that function can break so many dozens of other things?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Broand posted:

I second this. Also, what the hell happened to IC2 on their forgecraft server? Thermal Centrifuge? Ore Washers? Hammers?

Was the IC2 developer's solution to TE becoming the standard to go nuts?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I second this. Also, what the hell happened to IC2 on their forgecraft server? Thermal Centrifuge? Ore Washers? Hammers?

Was the IC2 developer's solution to TE becoming the standard to go nuts?

Pretty sure Gregorious from GregTech is the developer of IC2 now.
Old guy might've stepped down. He sure left it in capable hands. Oh boy do I love the new wires and plates.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

RaspberryCommie posted:

In 1.5.2 and earlier there is a bug where when babies grow they can pop through walls. It might also apply to when they spawn. It's fixed in 1.6.2 and onward. Cows never actually move out of the pen even if you jam it really full of cows.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I solved this issue in 1.5.2 by having the Chronotyper drop babies into a pit that had space underneath the breeding pen. They're quite content congregating directly underneath their parents, making it easy for the Grinder to kill off the grown up kids.

I'm currently dicking around with crafty turtles to transmute dirt into gravel and then into clay for automatic processing into bricks. I guess I could do the same thing with cobble as a parallel line. And I guess I could expand into performing a similar trick with my large excess of jungle logs to eventually turn them into diamonds. Oh hey, I guess I could go whole hog and transmute dirt to diamonds if I wanted to (dirt->gravel->clay~>clay blocks->iron ingot->gold ingot->diamond) but I have a greater need for construction material at the moment over diamonds.

(Reason why turtles is that they don't damage minium stones while they're crafting with them)

And then I'll get my bank of auto processor machines shoved into the basement linked to a Logistics Pipe system I've been kicking around for a while. Once they're out of workshop proper I can dedicate the walls to be banks upon banks of AE Monitors to go with my AE system and DSU extreme storage wall.

And I *still* need to prettify the Mystcraft tower up. And restock the 'meat' factory. And create a void Mystcraft book to shove an array of MFR Lasers in (or try it in lower earth orbit instead, hmm...). And...and...and...

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm currently dicking around with crafty turtles to transmute dirt into gravel and then into clay for automatic processing into bricks. I guess I could do the same thing with cobble as a parallel line. And I guess I could expand into performing a similar trick with my large excess of jungle logs to eventually turn them into diamonds. Oh hey, I guess I could go whole hog and transmute dirt to diamonds if I wanted to (dirt->gravel->clay~>clay blocks->iron ingot->gold ingot->diamond) but I have a greater need for construction material at the moment over diamonds.

(Reason why turtles is that they don't damage minium stones while they're crafting with them)

Just cheat yourself a few philosopher's stones and put the recipes into your AE crafting network. Philosopher's stones replace themselves when they break.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

Just cheat yourself a few philosopher's stones and put the recipes into your AE crafting network. Philosopher's stones replace themselves when they break.

I mean I could, but then I wouldn't get to build a ridiculous system of chained turtles endlessly working to condense blocks into denser and denser materials. :shepface:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Pretty sure Gregorious from GregTech is the developer of IC2 now.
Old guy might've stepped down. He sure left it in capable hands. Oh boy do I love the new wires and plates.

Base IC2 is worse than gregtech now. Greg final give in and added a full config file. You can change just about every thing about that mod now. Turn off all the loving with other mods it does, change all the run times on his processors. Basic take out any part of gregtech you do not like. If you turn all the bullshit off and take two 0 out of all the processors run times, it make for a fun mod.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
The IC2 changes are all from Player and Thunderdark, who have been on board for quite a while. Greg is on the IC2 team too nowadays, but all he does is fix the oredict and spelling errors that the rest of them leave behind.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fruit Chewy posted:

The IC2 changes are all from Player and Thunderdark, who have been on board for quite a while. Greg is on the IC2 team too nowadays, but all he does is fix the oredict and spelling errors that the rest of them leave behind.

He really does care about the proper spelling of aluminium.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Welp, just 'finished' skyden. My base looks like poo poo so I'll spare you guys the pictures. (Half slabs everyhwere :v:) My only 'big' problem was the non-spawning Ghasts, the ghast tear took just too long.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Musluk posted:

Welp, just 'finished' skyden. My base looks like poo poo so I'll spare you guys the pictures. (Half slabs everyhwere :v:) My only 'big' problem was the non-spawning Ghasts, the ghast tear took just too long.
When you finish the Herbalist's questline, she gives you two ghast tears as a final "thank you". :ssh:

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

When you finish the Herbalist's questline, she gives you two ghast tears as a final "thank you". :ssh:

I got the minium stone before doing that. Pumpkins>Melons meant I didn't actually bother with it.

If you guys are still going for the Seaden, please integrate a way to get to the 'hub' easier after a point. Dimensional Doors, Portal frames, I'll take anything. The 150 block travel between my bed/farm/mobgrinder to the Skyden hub made me limit my travels a lot. Even with sugarcanes to harvest near the road, it was just extra tedium. And if I moved my stuff to the Den itself, that meant a huge travel time on nether/end (and I didn't want to rebuild the mob grinder). Maybe I should've made boats, heh.

I could set up automation on my farm etc but not with RP2 pneumatics - and I didn't want to install buildcraft. One last thing - the elemental 'temple' could do well with a bed and a chest at the entrance. Being ported to spawn for every failure (earth and air especially) didn't help. I should've placed a bed at the elemental 'temple'. Would've saved a lot of pain.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 17, 2013

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
How far does the game progress once you finish the Trial of Magic? I'm being lazy with playing minecraft lately, even though I do want to complete Skyden.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I'm playing TerraFirmaCraft, and I'd like a mod that adds more of an 'infrequent' existential/military threat. I'm currently playing with spawn-mobs off, because getting absolutely overrun every night is too annoying to me, and I really feel it only wastes my time when I have to build a log cube around myself every 12 minutes and browse the Internet until morning when I can resume prospecting, or whatever. Knowing that I can only expect enemies at night is fairly cheesy, as well. Assuming spawn-animals still allows bears to spawn, the occasional threat of bear attack is more what I'm looking for.

If you're familiar with Dwarf Fortress, you know what I'm looking for. Occasional "invasions" or infrequent spawns of aggressive wilderness enemies (day and night) would simultaneously break up the gameplay but not create a constant annoyance. Is there any mod that does something like this?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The invasion mod seems to be that general idea. One of the reasons why I need to take the effort to learn multimc so I can try it.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Hagop posted:

Base IC2 is worse than gregtech now. Greg final give in and added a full config file. You can change just about every thing about that mod now. Turn off all the loving with other mods it does, change all the run times on his processors. Basic take out any part of gregtech you do not like. If you turn all the bullshit off and take two 0 out of all the processors run times, it make for a fun mod.

Did he remove the crash code?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

MechaCrash posted:

Did he remove the crash code?

not sure about the if in /technic then die, but it no longer blows up if you run tinkers construct, and by default doesn't even seem to gently caress with it.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Welp, because the Mystcraft books I tried in creative were hosed up and didn't seem to actually teleport, so I fast-tracked through the rest of the storyline. I still want to make a proper themed Thaumcraft area and a non-cheatsheet Thaumomnicron, but do you guys know why the linking books in Skyden particularly won't actually, like... link?

The reason I needed a cheat sheet was that the research table would crash the game when I tried using some knowledge fragments I'd traded for. If it helps I was in creative mode at the time and trying to use a linking modifier to make it spawn a platform (for the 'make Fez into Minecraft' thing being able to make platforms to build on in the middle of the air would be handy).

If that doesn't work I might try dicking around with a new map in the same modpack.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Yonic Symbolism posted:

The invasion mod seems to be that general idea. One of the reasons why I need to take the effort to learn multimc so I can try it.

Close, but won't really fit my needs. My server has, at absolute most, 4 people on it at a time. Most of the time it's just two people. Given TFC mob strength, this is a bit much to handle. I don't want to limit my travel just at night, either.

If there were a mod that made monsters spawn very sporadically during the daytime (and not burn up), that would be more what I'm looking for. Basically, I want more bears.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Looks like Azanor released an update ... for Thaucraft 3. It's 3.0.5i and it supposedly fixes the disappearing node issue. It requires a regen of your worlds Thaumcraft nodes though.

thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013

fondue posted:

Looks like Azanor released an update ... for Thaucraft 3. It's 3.0.5i and it supposedly fixes the disappearing node issue. It requires a regen of your worlds Thaumcraft nodes though.

wasn't the disappearing nodes thing a part of the DRM he was trying to impose? I heard that was a "feature" for people who used the DNS-Pack(no citation sorry, consider this a rumor at best until someone shows the code)

edit: found a link

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1585216-thaumcraft-305i-updated-1792013/page__st__4720

thevortex- fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 17, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

babies havin rabies posted:

Close, but won't really fit my needs. My server has, at absolute most, 4 people on it at a time. Most of the time it's just two people. Given TFC mob strength, this is a bit much to handle. I don't want to limit my travel just at night, either.

If there were a mod that made monsters spawn very sporadically during the daytime (and not burn up), that would be more what I'm looking for. Basically, I want more bears.

Hm. I thought the mod pack worked more like making things into a tower defense game and replacing night spawns with portals you could turn on and off, but I guess that would make too much sense.

One thing that's turned me off from minecraft mods is how people seem to think the game needs MORE combat with even worse enemies. Minecraft combat is not fun, and the enemies it has are really badly designed. But I've never seen any mods that try to fix it, just ones that either give you more weapons (doesn't help that much, the weapons aren't really designed with situations you encounter in mind) or makes what's there even less fun (mo creatures adds wraiths that fly around and shoot fire to the night mobs GEE THANKS, I needed early game to be more of a near impossible slog). But pretty much every minecraft enemy is the opposite of a fun challenge and they don't work together to make a fun or fair challenge. About the only thing that works against them is cheap tricks with block setups.

The peaceful table is pretty much the only decent fix for this (remove combat but the option added is kind of balanced). At the very least I think a zelda-style lock-on option would be neat.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 17, 2013

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Dunno-Lars posted:

I think it is when there are several in one square/block, and they start pushing eachother around. Some will then glitch through 1 thick walls, or suffocate inside it. Making the walls 2 thick should suffocate them every time instead of releasing them.

If you make the wall 2 blocks thick with the inner layer made from a transparent block like glass, they will not suffocate. The animals will rubber band in and out of the glass layer but still be fine.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Hm. I thought the mod pack worked more like making things into a tower defense game and replacing night spawns with portals you could turn on and off, but I guess that would make too much sense.

It does work like that, but I don't want to do that. Getting rushed by that many enemies is too much for two people to handle, and you have to place a block which the monsters "attack"... Not really conducive to TFC where having several small settlements is common.

The mod has a config file which lets you adjust parameters for how often mobs spawn at night, but it didn't take effect on TFC. Night-only mobs are not what I'm looking for, anyway.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Yonic Symbolism posted:

(mo creatures adds wraiths that fly around and shoot fire to the night mobs GEE THANKS, I needed early game to be more of a near impossible slog).

I'm surprised that you're complaining about the wraiths when mo' creatures has recently added an even worse mob. It's a golem that, when you get within a certain (too wide) radius, activates and sucks up blocks from the surrounding area and throws them at you for massive damage. It took about ten minutes for one to spawn near my house and almost completely dismantle it before I said "gently caress this" and disabled golems from spawning.

Really, the only reason I add mods that add mobs is for atmospheric purposes. Without them the world feels so... empty. There was this really cute mod I liked called "AtmosMobs" but that doesn't appear to be updating anymore. :saddowns:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

I'm surprised that you're complaining about the wraiths when mo' creatures has recently added an even worse mob. It's a golem that, when you get within a certain (too wide) radius, activates and sucks up blocks from the surrounding area and throws them at you for massive damage. It took about ten minutes for one to spawn near my house and almost completely dismantle it before I said "gently caress this" and disabled golems from spawning.

I didn't think they could get any worse than the Ogres but man, they managed it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Mo' Creatures is a mod I'd love to like, but the designs just seem to be stupid. A lot of the critters suffer from "too many blocks" syndrome, which makes them seem out of place. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a vanilla mob that uses more than 10 shapes in its design, but you have roughly that amount being used for jellyfish in Mo' Creatures. Jellyfish! All you really need to communicate "jellyfish" is one semitransparent block with some fronds underneath.

But the monsters really are basically terrible, with absolutely no thought given to balance. I don't know who looked at creepers, the most annoying mob in the game, and thought "what we need is something that can do this level of damage over and over again, without provocation."

Honestly it seems like every vaguely good idea that Mo' Creatures has gets adapted into being part of vanilla Minecraft anyway. Butterflies might be coming soon, after all these new flower types. Hopefully. Butterflies and the smaller marine life (jellyfish, crabs, fish) are just about the only things in Mo' Creatures I'd like to see in vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'd like the mini-golems and bigger golem to be a boss encounter, possibly something in the vein of the goblin army of Terraria. Craft item, spawn bigger golem + its core, big golem spawns smaller golems. Beat for prizes.

But them and the ogres can just gently caress right off as normal monsters. :frogout:

• Locked thread