Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Fried Chicken posted:

Firebending creating fore from "nothing" makes a lot more sense if you think of fire as just energy. Which would be why they can do things like control their body temperatures, shoot lightning, and even absorb and redirect fire and lightning. There is energy all around, and your body creates it from the air you breathe, so they are always carrying a source with them.
I think it might have more to do with the kung fu style upon which the animators based the firebending style (northern Shaolin style, I'm told). If firebenders need an external source of flame, then the animators would have had to incorporate motions to pick up the flame. This is hard to do when your style is sharp kicks and punches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C0RvNVfT1Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

raditts posted:

What bugs me more is that there are definitions on what kinds of earth metals don't technically count as "earth" and therefore can't be bended.

I think it's been shown that metalbenders don't bend the metal itself but the myriad of imperfections in it like carbon, rust, etc. Sato's platinum big daddies couldn't be bended because platinumn is such a non-reactive metal that it lacks those impurities the police need to manipulate it. That said platinum is a really lovely structural metal and :goonsay:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fire would just be a lot less interesting, dynamic and viable if you needed a source of fire, especially early on when "portable flamethrower" would not actually be a viable option. That's basically all there is to it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ImpAtom posted:

Fire would just be a lot less interesting, dynamic and viable if you needed a source of fire, especially early on when "portable flamethrower" would not actually be a viable option. That's basically all there is to it.

See also: reason the film sucked #497

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Senor Candle posted:

It may be spoilers, but i'm sure not going to spoiler tag what I said.

Thankfully I have no idea what "pdq" means, so I yet remain unspoiled.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Irish Joe posted:

Thankfully I have no idea what "pdq" means, so I yet remain unspoiled.

He should have spoiled it wtf

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Report and move on, people.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

See also: reason the film sucked #497

Oongg, I don't think our film sucked at all!
You're right, Soak-a! We did a great job.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The best part of Korra Book 1 is still when they had Tahno pronounce it "Uhvotar" like the film did.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I want to see more Kya, she looks like a classy lady :)

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Kraps posted:

And somewhere in my head I hear Bill Corbet say in a very sotta voice, "And that's why I'm not married."

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Just watched the first episodes. Pretty good so far. I hope that this antagonist will end up being a bit more morally gray than Amon turned out to be. That won't happen, but a man can hope to be pleasantly surprised :v:

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Barbarians - they were in Fire Nation colors, are they the remnants of Zhao's attack force?

I doubt it. One of them was carrying a hammer like the guys in "Zuko Alone," so I think they're from the Earth Kingdom.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

AGirlWonder posted:

I doubt it. One of them was carrying a hammer like the guys in "Zuko Alone," so I think they're from the Earth Kingdom.

The Last Airbender artbook mentions those hammer guys.

quote:

...We imagined the massive, towering trebuchet operators were mercenaries hired by the Fire Nation for the invasion of the North...

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I demand that every episode have at least 5 minutes of Bolin subplot. It's really what we're all watching this show for anyways.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Spergatory posted:

I think it might be less about believability and more about competitive balance. Fire seems to have an unfair advantage over the other elements. Earth and waterbenders need 'ammo' to function. Firebending is basically cheat mode (so is airbending, kind of, but it's not as cool and explosive as firebending).

But at the same time you could say it's not as valuable from a non-offensive perspective. Fire is great in battle and for some industrial applications, but Earthbenders and Waterbenders can literally raise cities from their elements, and Airbenders can manipulate currents to fly (which is a valuable skill when you're nomadic). A few powerful Firebenders could do some low-level rocket shenanigans and craftsman could use their fire for stuff like blacksmithing, but that's nothing that can't be done with technology, even some really low-level stuff. There was a good reason Jeong-Jeong had some level of self-hate directed at his bending ability. He commented to Katara that fire was destructive, whereas her element could be used for healing. It might be easier to burn down a village and subdue a nation with fire, but to build one was easier with non-volatile elements like water and earth.

Kraps posted:

I was thinking after I saw the episode why Kya and Bumi don't seem to have families. They're both older than Tenzin (poo poo, they both have gray hair), and while Bumi may be a crazy mofo, it seems odd that Kya is just running off on an Airbender adventure with her brother like she doesn't have her own kids or anything like that.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Serella posted:

I was thinking after I saw the episode why Kya and Bumi don't seem to have families. They're both older than Tenzin (poo poo, they both have gray hair), and while Bumi may be a crazy mofo, it seems odd that Kya is just running off on an Airbender adventure with her brother like she doesn't have her own kids or anything like that.

Tenzin's the youngest, isn't he? And he started his family relatively late. Kya and Bumi could very well have kids who are adults.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The Last Airbender artbook mentions those hammer guys.

I can't figure out the meaning or context of that fragment. What trebuchets?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

AGirlWonder posted:

I can't figure out the meaning or context of that fragment. What trebuchets?

The ones from the Siege of the North, from the end of the first Last Airbender season.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

YorexTheMad posted:

Tenzin's the youngest, isn't he? And he started his family relatively late. Kya and Bumi could very well have kids who are adults.

I suppose that's true, but no significant others around?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Serella posted:

I suppose that's true, but no significant others around?

Who knows, but just because you have a significant other doesn't mean you can't go off and hang out with your hilariously stuck-up little brother once in a while.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Neo_Crimson posted:

Who knows, but just because you have a significant other doesn't mean you can't go off and hang out with your hilariously stuck-up little brother once in a while.
They're just visiting the Air Temples! What could possibly go wrong?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What could possibly go wrong?

Whenever I see/hear that phrase, all I can do is :cripes:.

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008
Did the use of the word "barbarian" bother anyone else? I mean, barbarian implies some foreign, uncivilized invaders. The actual guys looked like a ragtag group of Fire Nation soldiers. Unless there is some even less developed tribe living in the wilds of the North Pole like the Sun Warriors, they aren't "barbarians." Did they just not want to point out that the guys were wearing red clothes because that would mean the Fire Nation was being aggressive again? But then why did they color them red at all? They could have just drawn them Inuit style and made them really hairy if they are supposed to be barbaric. And if, as people have speculated, Unalaq was behind the raid, why not just actually blame it on the Fire Nation instead of random "barbarians?" I'm sure even after 70 years of peace, people at the North Pole would still believe there were Fire Nation extremists out there. I can't decide if this is a logical inconsistency or an actual plot point.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

Did the use of the word "barbarian" bother anyone else?
No? Asian cultures have a long and proud history of labeling any and every out-group as "barbarians" regardless of accuracy, in much the same way the West characterized any culture they weren't part of as "savages".

(Plus if you want to be pedantic, "barbarian" is really just an ethnic slur for anyone who speaks a language other than Greek. :eng101: )

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Korra has been wearing the same set of clothes since Episode 1. She didn't have any luggage with her when she came to Republic City and she isn't trying Republic threads. They must stink to high heaven. Or else she goes nude on laundry day.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 16, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
She wears her pro-bending outfit on laundry day, obviously. Pretty sure she wore some other duds during the fancy dinner party early-ish in season one too, if nothing else.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

Did the use of the word "barbarian" bother anyone else? I mean, barbarian implies some foreign, uncivilized invaders. The actual guys looked like a ragtag group of Fire Nation soldiers. Unless there is some even less developed tribe living in the wilds of the North Pole like the Sun Warriors, they aren't "barbarians." Did they just not want to point out that the guys were wearing red clothes because that would mean the Fire Nation was being aggressive again? But then why did they color them red at all? They could have just drawn them Inuit style and made them really hairy if they are supposed to be barbaric. And if, as people have speculated, Unalaq was behind the raid, why not just actually blame it on the Fire Nation instead of random "barbarians?" I'm sure even after 70 years of peace, people at the North Pole would still believe there were Fire Nation extremists out there. I can't decide if this is a logical inconsistency or an actual plot point.

The clothes are probably red because that's how they were when they picked them up and they didn't care to change them to their nationally appropriate colors so as not to confuse anyone from a different nation.

Or maybe it's just that red makes them more visually distinct from all of the blue so that the viewers could see who the bad guys are more have their eyes drawn to it rather than wandering around.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

tsob posted:

She wears her pro-bending outfit on laundry day, obviously. Pretty sure she wore some other duds during the fancy dinner party early-ish in season one too, if nothing else.

Don't forget the air nomad outfit she wore for a couple scenes!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
To be fair, I think the only time Aang and co. had a change of clothes was in season 3.

I think part of the issue is simply that in many shows, a character's outfits are also an integral part of their design.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is it just me or are the main characters' eyes oddly bright or accented in the art in those episodes? I couldn't shake how much Korra looked like Cloud Strife (from Final Fantasy VII) with her face shape, expressions and bright teal eyes.

Anyway, I too didn't like the obviously villainous Tarlok #2, or Korra being unpleasant to everyone. But the rest was pretty good. I've mostly forgotten how disappointing and stupid the first season ended up being.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I don't know, Tarlok was obviously very manipulative from the get-go ("Hi this is my 2nd scene in the show, let me show up unannounced at dinner to try to talk Korra into helping me").

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009
I don’t know how to feel about the season 2. From first impressions its seems like animation quality for non-action scenes has suffered in few places, and I seriously hope the overarching story has some twists or else it’s so painfully predictable.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Hopefully we're due for an Iroh Zuko appearance. Maybe Tenzin will get some spiritual advice at the air temples?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kassad posted:

I don't know, Tarlok was obviously very manipulative from the get-go ("Hi this is my 2nd scene in the show, let me show up unannounced at dinner to try to talk Korra into helping me").

I'd say Unalaq is very manipulative within the first two episodes as well. He set out for the South with a plan to use Korra to open the spirit portal and had his troops follow only a few days behind to take the South Pole by force "for their own good". He manipulated Korra in to helping him by feeding her all the info needed to destroy her relationship with her father (and then refusing to defend his decision or character in any way afterwards) and then sabotaged her relationship with Tenzin by playing in to her fears of being controlled and rather straight-forward nature. He appears to have good reason to do so, but he's still done it regardless. The fact that he wouldn't even defend his brother to Korra after pushing him to reveal his past is the tell tale shot to me though. He's evil in some way if he won't even throw out a perfuctionary "he loves you, he just made a mistake, you should go easier on him" argument after he managed to get what he wanted.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Xelkelvos posted:

The clothes are probably red because that's how they were when they picked them up and they didn't care to change them to their nationally appropriate colors so as not to confuse anyone from a different nation.

Or maybe it's just that red makes them more visually distinct from all of the blue so that the viewers could see who the bad guys are more have their eyes drawn to it rather than wandering around.

One of the guys was wearing green too. They're just random bandits I'd think they'd notice if they were fire nation troops.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Baron Bifford posted:

I really hope Unalaq isn't orchestrating these spirit attacks so that he could be seen as a hero for "stopping" them.

That seems likely, it would be too obvious so of course that will be the answer.

Though I'm hoping it's somewhat of a red herring for the drive of this season; perhaps Unalaq will turn out to be more of a background event (though a big one) and the real focus will be on Tenzen's daughter and creepy broken statue spirit.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
There is nothing really that suggests Unalaq is an evil dick up until the invasion scene. I don't see how separating Korra from Tenzin would make her go along with the invasion of the South.

This reminds me of Avatar Kyoshi. She allowed Chin the Conqueror to gobble up the entire Earth Kingdom, intervening only when her little island was under threat, and kills Chin accidentally. My take is that civil wars do not upset the great balance and so are not the Avatar's responsibility, which is what Unalaq is counting on. It's not like he has any bond over Korra.

Speaking of which, just who imposed the responsibility of maintaining balance to the Avatar? Is it a self-imposed mission or was the Avatar sent by a higher authority in the Spirit World?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Baron Bifford posted:

There is nothing really that suggests Unalaq is an evil dick up until the invasion scene. I don't see how separating Korra from Tenzin would make her go along with the invasion of the South.

Trying to separate someone from their friends / people they know well and convince them that they are a failure and will never succeed without help from you and only you is like the textbook definition of manipulation, man. And call me crazy but a grown man manipulating a teenage girl puts you pretty deep in "evil dick" territory even before the whole hostile takeover thing.

Korra's a stupid, headstrong kid who's irresponsible with her powers and he's already successfully talked her into telling her own father to gently caress off, I doubt it'll be much harder to get her believing that he can deliver the South Pole to freedom through slavery with her as his enforcer.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reginaldavid
Sep 30, 2006
beautiful cretin
Hmm, Eska and Desna remind me of certain other pair of smarmy, monotone-speaking twins...

I thought it was funny some people read them as being like homeschooled Christian kids because honestly I see that comparison applying way better to Korra herself. A while ago I had to work with a ton of coddled Christian teens, and while none of them were like the almost robotic or sociopathic twins, basically all of them naively thought their limited teaching was enough to solve any problems in life.

I don't think it's fair to compare them to Mai either--my impression was that they're just weird, analytical and maybe obsessive-compulsive instead of moody and dark.

This season's plot has some good possibilities. So far I'm much more interested in that Asami & Varrick story than in the spirits (as others have said, the shadowy spirits don't measure up to the likes of Hai Bei), but the Water tribe conflict looks so grand-scale that it could have some fruitful surprises.

• Locked thread