Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
There's also the massive disadvantage of having to pay the employer's portion of your income taxes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Misogynist posted:

1099s are good for people who are doing actual contract work for short periods of time. Contract-to-hire in an at-will employment state is a scam 100% of the time, pure and simple.

I was a contractor-to-hire at the place I'm working right now, in NY, which is at-will.

Of course, I was a contractor for all of 8 days and I never had to change my tax status from W2 so it doesn't really count :v:

I wouldn't want to work 1099 because it just seems like so much more work when tax time comes, even disregarding the benefits situation.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 14, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Erkenntnis posted:

Just had three rounds of phone interviews. Anyone YOTJ without a face-to-face? I'm interested in the position, which would be dedicated datacenter technical support for a couple of instructors that work for a large IT organization, and it's like a 15 minute drive from my (parent's) place.

The only real caveat is that it's a 1099 position, which I might have a couple questions about for those that have done them before.

I have my current job interviewing entirely on the phone in 3 rounds, only 1 of which I had met for a brief time at a limited event prior to. It's possible.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Geoj posted:

There's also the massive disadvantage of having to pay the employer's portion of your income taxes as well.
Your employer doesn't pay any of your income tax, that's what makes it an income tax. The employer is responsible for 50% of the FICA payroll taxes for Social Security and Medicare; if you are a 1099, you need to bear the entire burden, which combines to almost 20% of gross before income taxes even get involved. Plan on taking home around 55% of gross when all is said and done.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Spudalicious posted:

So I just gave up a (low paying) cushy government job to go work for an observatory that has every system on its own, no centralized authentication, no policies regarding pretty much anything. Also they run a mix of :siren:dos:siren:,osx, linux, unix, and windows (every version).

So I'm coming in to a mess, which was made abundantly clear during interviews, but they pay is like 40% more than I was making. I'm fairly used to this in my it consultation side gig but it's never been on this scale.

What do you guys think should be the list of priorities for this place. I'd like to start with centralized user accounts and authentication, along with storage. There's a lot of old timers here that are going to be resistant to change. My plan of attack is to find out what beer everyone likes and then get them that beer, then introduce some sort of plan whilst they are all under the influence.

Like others have said you need to start out by documenting as much of the environment as you can, this means:
  • Find items that are in and out of warranty, support, and maintenance contracts
  • Document each server, what they do and what applications they support
  • Do a backup and find out the backup schedule
  • find loss of productivity issues e.g. Suzy can't do accounting because Server X is slow(due to Y,Z)
  • Backup current configurations of EVERYTHING
  • Collect the logins to a keypass file
  • find out from each department(head) what the biggest challenge they face technically is
  • Examine event logs of servers and services for errors

Collect as much data as you can, if the environment needs an overhual and want to fix it properly you should really I mean really grab as much bad poo poo about the environment you can. After which you need to visio, backup, research, and document the poo poo out of because you will need the ammo to help validate an expense to overhaul the environment. Show the productivity loss of the current network and infrastructure, it will be your best friend when showing why you need to spend XXX'k to show value on a environmental overhaul to fix poo poo.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Misogynist posted:

Your employer doesn't pay any of your income tax, that's what makes it an income tax. The employer is responsible for 50% of the FICA payroll taxes for Social Security and Medicare; if you are a 1099, you need to bear the entire burden, which combines to almost 20% of gross before income taxes even get involved. Plan on taking home around 55% of gross when all is said and done.

It's not that bad. You can deduct the employer half of the FICA tax from your Adjusted Gross Income, as well as Health Care premium payments or any Roth IRA contributions (up to the yearly maximum). After all that, your federal and state standard deductions and personal exception hacks off another chunk of your taxable income. I was given an hourly range for the position, and my taxable income is only like 32k from a gross of like 56k. Total effective tax rate for me ends up around 28% of my gross.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What's the standard negotiated premium for 1099 work? I'm thinking about doing one or two contracts in the future.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Inspector_71 posted:

I was a contractor-to-hire at the place I'm working right now, in NY, which is at-will.

W-2 contracting or contract to hire positions are different than 1099 jobs.

1099 jobs *should* only be used for short term contract work, usually based of a Statement Of Work with clearly defined deliverables.

An example of an appropriate 1099 contract job:

Company X needs a custom Sharepoint site created which shouldn't take longer than 2 months and they will pay 30,000 for the work. The person doing the work doesn't have a set schedule, does not use company resources or computers to accomplish his work, and goes on his merry way once the contract is over.

The IRS says

quote:

The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if the payer has the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not what will be done and how it will be done.

If you're being told how to do your work, have an expected schedule, and all the other trappings of a normal job, that is cut and dry 1099 contract abuse.

As far as a 1099 premium I've seen anywhere from 1.5 X to 3 X where X is the expected hourly/weekly rate for an equivalent W-2 job with a decent benefit package.

If you would make 30 dollars an hour doing the work for a normal company I would expect you to be charging at least 70+ dollars an hour on a 1099 contract. You're losing out on self employment taxes, health insurance, 401K match, unemployment insurance, etc.

I really hate companies that abuse IT folks with 1099 contracts because they're too cheap to hire employees. W-2 contractors have their uses, but I feel bad for them as well.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Driving home how important being able to Google is for being a good sys admin. I virtualized the server that time forgot tonight, but it hung on startup. Guh? What in the, it's just virtualizing, how is this difficult? So I type into google exactly: p2v "applying your personal settings".

The very.first.result. is exactly the answer. I guess it's knowing what to Google. "help my 2003 server wont start when i virtualize it and I didnt really think about it before I did it" isn't really helpful, but you put the right couple of words in, and you're home free. Thank god for the internet.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 14, 2013

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
Trawling craigslist looking for an entry-level job... found this gem of an application page.

http://computercentersusa.wufoo.com/forms/z7x3p9/

Think I'll pass.

Another job with a very interesting requirement that you be from the future: "5+ years experience installing Exchange 2013"

Malkar fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 15, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Malkar posted:

Trawling craigslist looking for an entry-level job... found this gem of an application page.

http://computercentersusa.wufoo.com/forms/z7x3p9/

Think I'll pass.
CAT5 cable to connect a cable modem to a wireless router? What is this, 2004?

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
Maybe it's for the people out in the sticks who don't get FIOS/ Gfiber?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Java :colbert:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

gently caress, I was about to make the same post.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there some piece of software I can use to easily track dependencies around infrastructure? For example when I configure some weird software that I have to point at a specific domain controller, I'd like to make a dependency between those two items, so if someone else wants to replace that domain controller, they can just check all its dependencies to know what's going to be effected?

I made my own FileMaker db for computers and cellphones. I connect things like software licenses to the PC they're installed on, and the person each unit is assigned to. You could do something similar with dependencies just by relating the records.

I can look up a user and see their equipment, click to go to the equipment entry and see associated software, etc. each entry also has a notes field for manual history.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Like others have said you need to start out by documenting as much of the environment as you can, this means:

When you make this list, don't forget to note which directories / applications need to be backed up, and when you can reboot the server to install patches. In fact, I'd check every box to see when it was last security patched since I'm guessing they're not using WSUS or anything else to centralize patch deployment. Demonstrating the security vulnerabilities that existed for a long time on your network is a good way to get a security budget.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Ok I need some advice. I jumped from student help desk at a tier one university into a AV/faculty-assistant role that I've gotten really bored and burnt-out in. I've been here for two years, and I recently got my CCNA to help get me out of here into a faster-paced role where I can actually work with technology that I find interesting. I passed my CCNA on Friday, and this was just posted on my University's job board:

quote:

Telecom Network Help Desk Intermediate

How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required; the cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume. The letter should:

(1) specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position;
(2) outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position; and
(3) include your current or ending salary.

Starting salary may vary depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate

Job Summary
Information and Technology Services (ITS) at the University of [redacted] has three (3) openings within the Data Center Operations for Network Help Desk Consultants to provide monitoring of the voice, video, network and data center infrastructure and related systems utilizing set protocols and troubleshooting skills in response to multiple, competing events, alarms/ issues in the Network/Voice/Data/Hardware monitoring systems. This position additionally provides tier 1 support to faculty, staff, students, guests and alumni. The consultant will be responsible for effectively and efficiently handling monitoring and requests by ensuring quick and responsible resolution of issues. The successful candidates will possess superior technical support knowledge, stellar customer service skills and ability to adapt to changes.

Responsibilities:
*Monitors voice, video and data networks, job schedules, servers, storage devices and physical infrastructure with the ability to address multiple, competing events simultaneously to ensure timely handling/resolution of alerts and outages. Recognize events through all monitoring systems in a timely manner to ensure service level agreements are met.

*Receives in-bound emails, web requests and phone calls from end-users. Evaluates problems and determine priority of responding. Researches, isolates, and troubleshoots technical instances. Provides resolutions, workarounds, and problem escalation for Tier II support to ensure end-users successfully utilize the University Computing Environment and Administrative Systems. Educate the end-user community for access to supported systems utilizing internal help desk tools to walk users through the systems. Follows-up with users to ensure problem resolution. Provides end-users with information on how to access help documentation and e-Learning resources.

*Provides support to end users for PC, server, hardware and/or administrative systems. May interact with network services, software systems engineering, and applications development and hardware vendors to restore service. Identifies and corrects core problems. Simulates or recreates user problems to resolve operating difficulties which may include desktop or browser configuration problems. Escalates complex problems to senior staff.

*Collaborates with team members and Tier 2 and 3 teams to understand service improvement requests and opportunities. Supports service enhancement projects that involve resolution and quality improvements by identifying and quantifying service desk requirements, delineating the gaps between service desk requirements and the capabilities of existing technology and resources, and recommending improvements.

*Collaborates with subject matter experts to document, research, review, and update issues in the knowledge management systems. Supports the development of end-user documentation by working with the performance support team, making content recommendations and assisting with the review of documentation.

*Supports internal teams and projects. Identifies end-user needs and communicate those to project teams. Participates in system testing and knowledge management activities.

* Maintains proper handling and storage of media to ensure integrity of data for Disaster Recovery needs which involves processing tape handling. Provides quality of printed materials within timeframe specified and may be required to assist with deliveries. Consult with vendors to report hardware failures.

Successful candidates will be expected to demonstrate in this role the following organization competencies, but not limited to:

*Creative Problem Solving / Strategic Thinking - Demonstrated ability to provide necessary attention to solve different level problems, often multitasking to solve moderate level problems.

*Quality Service - Demonstrated ability to see issues from the customer's perspective assesses urgency of requests and responds accordingly.

*Communication - Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, correctly, knowledgeably, and effectively both verbally and in writing. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively to groups, varying style to fit the audience, actively communicating with those with differing opinions and differing levels of understanding.

Required Qualifications:
* Bachelors degree in computer science, business computing or a related field, or equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience.
* Minimum of two years experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting, and working independently to successfully assist customers in their utilization of computer and network hardware and software.
* Proficiency with integrated computing environments and/or administrative systems support.
* Demonstrated proficiency with hardware and network monitoring software tools such as Nagios, Spectrum, Intermapper, Unicenter , etc.
* Demonstrated experience with IT Service Management tools such as Service Now, Remedy, etc.
* Demonstrated knowledge of operating systems (Windows, MacOS) and industry standard web browsers).
* Demonstrated ability to leverage appropriate resources and technical tools to perform day-to-day support tasks.
* Demonstrated proficiency with current computer technology and applications (e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, and collaboration applications).
* Occasionally will need to lift and move 25lb. boxes of paper from loading dock to printer station

Desired Qualifications*
* ITIL Foundation Certification
* Demonstrated experience with Building Management Software Tools such as Siemens Building Management System, Eaton Foreseer, Tridium, etc.
* Demonstrated experience with Job scheduling software.

Work Schedule
ITS Data Center Operations operates 24 hours per day, 365 days per year. Successful candidates will need flexibility to work overtime, weekends and some holidays.

Shift to be filled:

Shift 2: 4:00 PM - Midnight - Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (:gonk:)

So my main question is, should I hold off for a position that is more network focused, or take this position for the experience and hopefully leverage that to get to the job I really want? I am a little stuck because while I have this cert now, I don't have any network experience to back it up with, other than simple helpdesk work. Is it unrealistic to expect I will be able to find a networking job right out of the gate with minimal experience and a cert?

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

• Find items that are in and out of warranty, support, and maintenance contracts
  • Do a backup and find out the backup schedule
  • find loss of productivity issues e.g. Suzy can't do accounting because Server X is slow(due to Y,Z)
  • Backup current configurations of EVERYTHING
  • Collect the logins to a keypass file
  • find out from each department(head) what the biggest challenge they face technically is
  • Examine event logs of servers and services for errors

Collect as much data as you can, if the environment needs an overhual and want to fix it properly you should really I mean really grab as much bad poo poo about the environment you can. After which you need to visio, backup, research, and document the poo poo out of because you will need the ammo to help validate an expense to overhaul the environment. Show the productivity loss of the current network and infrastructure, it will be your best friend when showing why you need to spend XXX'k to show value on a environmental overhaul to fix poo poo.

All good steps to take, thanks. I've gotten centos installed on my home computer now to get my linux chops back and holy moly am I rusty. I spent a year working in an all-unix shop a while back (ubuntu 6.06 days), and I was pretty surprised that when I loaded the OS it found all my device drivers without a problem.

In other news, my last two weeks here are going to be rough. My boss's parents are in the hospital, coworker's grandparent passed away, and there's two conferences that need on-site IT assistance because god forbid they need to plug in a projector. All of that on top of handling day to day user issues and documenting "everything you know about our remote sites". Unfortunately I was the primary point of contact for a few of our remote users and now I need to document how to troubleshoot vpn, remote storage access, procedures for new users that can't come to our primary site, etc. All in all probably 15-25 different step-by-step guides, and I have precious little time :sigh:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Spudalicious posted:

I was the primary point of contact for a few of our remote users

This is why I bitch bitch bitch when people don't use the help desk email. I bitch the user out when they email me directly, and I bitch out my boss when he lets someone get away with it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Third Man posted:

So my main question is, should I hold off for a position that is more network focused, or take this position for the experience and hopefully leverage that to get to the job I really want? I am a little stuck because while I have this cert now, I don't have any network experience to back it up with, other than simple helpdesk work. Is it unrealistic to expect I will be able to find a networking job right out of the gate with minimal experience and a cert?

Tier 1 isn't much past help desk. And I don't see how that job is going to provide much experience as anything past reading scripts and dealing with end user issues (i.e. real networking) sounds like it's gest escalated by you/past you. Maybe the work differently there, but most shops would work as I described.

You're probably looking for something a whole lot more networkey, and I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to land a gig that's more suited to the cert you just got.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

FISHMANPET posted:

This is why I bitch bitch bitch when people don't use the help desk email. I bitch the user out when they email me directly, and I bitch out my boss when he lets someone get away with it.

What's help desk email? My direct email is the help desk email for 250 users.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Motronic posted:

Tier 1 isn't much past help desk. And I don't see how that job is going to provide much experience as anything past reading scripts and dealing with end user issues (i.e. real networking) sounds like it's gest escalated by you/past you. Maybe the work differently there, but most shops would work as I described.

You're probably looking for something a whole lot more networkey, and I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to land a gig that's more suited to the cert you just got.

So you don't think my lack of any on-the-job networking experience would hinder me from getting a sort of junior-level networking position? For what it's worth, I want to stay within my university for the time being and this job does pay better than what I have now, and I'm not sure when an full networking position would be available. Of course, I haven't actually talked to anybody yet I'm just going off the official jobs bulletin...

While I am getting pretty burnt out where I am now, the job security is pretty good and it's very low-stress. It's pretty cushy but I'm not learning anything and the pay is pretty low.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Third Man posted:

So you don't think my lack of any on-the-job networking experience would hinder me from getting a sort of junior-level networking position?

That's what junior level networking positions are for.

You need to get away from helldesk if you want to do any real work that requires thought and skill and be able to progress in this industry. Changing backup tapes and resetting people's passwords and voicemail pins isn't going to help you accomplish that.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I would love more than anything to be able to not work directly with end users, but I'm just second guessing my abilities given my limited experience. To be completely honest, I was student help desk for a few years, which meant getting email clients working, messing with wireless settings, imaging computers, and forwarding people to central IT. The last couple years have been more of the same frankly, but salaried and more one-on-one with faculty. I don't have any experience with backups, or monitoring, or any infrastructure at all really.. Is it enough to show up with a piece of paper and a desire to succeed? I mean, I want to get away from this but I just don't know if I will be taken seriously.

I also haven't seen junior positions advertised in the few months I've been watching the job board, either. I think I should maybe track down a person in central IT who is in actually in networking to talk to...

The Third Man fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 17, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Third Man posted:

I don't have any experience with backups, or monitoring, or any infrastructure at all really.. Is it enough to show up with a piece of paper and a desire to succeed? I mean, I want to get away from this but I just don't know if I will be taken seriously.

I also haven't seen junior positions advertised in the few months I've been watching the job board, either. I think I should maybe track down a person in central IT who is in actually in networking to talk to...

If you're showing up with that piece of paper and willing to learn and demonstrate that you are serious a junior network admin type position is exactly what you should be looking for. Your previous experience on helldesk with basic network setup/troubleshooting on clients is a good thing to highlight on your resume and when talking to people aout this.

Also, definitely talk to whomever you can who is in any department or position that looks like something you want to do. Find out what they use internally (monitoring, switch gear, etc), do your research, and show up PREPARED with a resume that highlights the things that they use that you have experience with.

Experience absolutely includes "I set up a home lab and a copy of <x network monitoring software that they use>." Since you don't have a lot of professional experience you will stand out if you manufacture your own relevant experience through your own self-education on the topic. And that also shows that you CAN self-educate which is hugely important to stay relevant in this industry.

And if they don't have any advertised positions, see if they want to take someone on anyway. It doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe they have some other open positions who's responsibilities can be moved around to carve out a spot for you.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Thanks a lot for your advice, I think my next step will be to contact someone in area I want to be in and see what they are looking for. The worst thing that can happen is they will want more experience and I'll still have time to put in an application for the other position.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Being told now also that they refuse to pay for any of my certs until I sign a contract...that they want me to work on my certs first for to try and lock me down for 3 years.

They're also baffled at the people demanding 80k+ for their "Director of IT" job when the previous was getting 40k, and had less experience than I did coming here.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

CDW posted:

Being told now also that they refuse to pay for any of my certs until I sign a contract...that they want me to work on my certs first for to try and lock me down for 3 years.

They're also baffled at the people demanding 80k+ for their "Director of IT" job when the previous was getting 40k, and had less experience than I did coming here.

That's a good sign that you don't want to spend 3 years there.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

Paladine_PSoT posted:

That's a good sign that you don't want to spend 3 years there.

30 years, I'm the only real IT staff (of 6 months) and the longest salesperson active right now is 2 years.

The only problem is getting out and trying to find another job, again.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

CDW posted:

30 years, I'm the only real IT staff (of 6 months) and the longest salesperson active right now is 2 years.

The only problem is getting out and trying to find another job, again.

Just get out of the initial "Looking for a job sucks" phase and it won't be so bad, it's always hard to start looking for a job, once you do get rolling it makes it easier, just make a schedule, devote X time a day/week/whatever to work on it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So I have been tasked with finding a file archiving solution for a client, and have no idea where to begin. Anybody got any recommendations?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

So I have been tasked with finding a file archiving solution for a client, and have no idea where to begin. Anybody got any recommendations?

Is this for some sort of compliance requirement or just because they hate throwing anything away?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Inspector_71 posted:

Backup Exec has an archive option but it sort of sucks because it deletes the source data. In other words the idea behind their solution is to reduce storage space on your file server. Mimecast has an online option you could look at. We ended up rolling our own solution using a combination of shadow copies and one way dfs replication

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

What do you actually need this to do, to how much data, for how many users, with what kind of access, and at what budget?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Is this for some sort of compliance requirement or just because they hate throwing anything away?

It's not for compliance...

Syano posted:

Backup Exec has an archive option but it sort of sucks because it deletes the source data. In other words the idea behind their solution is to reduce storage space on your file server.

...and this may actually work, since that's pretty much what the goal is.

Misogynist posted:

What do you actually need this to do, to how much data, for how many users, with what kind of access, and at what budget?

The goal is to free up space on the fileserver by moving files that aren't regularly accessed to another set of drives that the end user won't have access to while maintaining the file structure and maintaining logs/getting alerts if something breaks. The data is only a few TB for a couple dozen users, this isn't "big data" stuff by any means. I don't have a hard budget, but lower is definitely better.

I know absolutely zilch about storage stuff, so as you can see I don't even really know what I need to know.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Syano posted:

Backup Exec has an archive option but it sort of sucks because it deletes the source data. In other words the idea behind their solution is to reduce storage space on your file server. Mimecast has an online option you could look at. We ended up rolling our own solution using a combination of shadow copies and one way dfs replication

I just wish backup Exec wasn't a huge piece of poo poo that feels like it is a program from 2006 which just gets a new gui; but sadly I don't know much else.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

MF_James posted:

Just get out of the initial "Looking for a job sucks" phase and it won't be so bad, it's always hard to start looking for a job, once you do get rolling it makes it easier, just make a schedule, devote X time a day/week/whatever to work on it.

Do you guys just hit up the usual sites (dice, monster, careerbuilder, craigslist, etc) or anything special? I'm starting to look pretty actively now, ready to YOTJ

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Inspector_71 posted:

The goal is to free up space on the fileserver by moving files that aren't regularly accessed to another set of drives that the end user won't have access to while maintaining the file structure and maintaining logs/getting alerts if something breaks. The data is only a few TB for a couple dozen users, this isn't "big data" stuff by any means. I don't have a hard budget, but lower is definitely better.

I know absolutely zilch about storage stuff, so as you can see I don't even really know what I need to know.

rsync cronjob???

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Inspector_71 posted:

It's not for compliance...

...and this may actually work, since that's pretty much what the goal is.

Oh well there you have it. The backup exec option is exactly what you want. Its literally under 1k to license the option for a single file server. Of course you have to already have BE and its associated agent licenses in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
code:
#!/bin/bash

mv /backup/stuff-today/ /backup/stuff-`date +"%Y%m%d"`/
rsync -avz --link-dest="/backup/stuff-`date +"%Y%m%d"`/" root@whatever:/var/farts/ /backup/stuff-today/

• Locked thread