Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TaurusOxford posted:

You can keep your dumb roaring mantis. I'll go for the Raiden treatment and suplex your rear end. :colbert:

There's no reason why you can't have both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Patter Song posted:

Eh...it's hard to cover up most of Manhattan's financial district being destroyed in a terrorist attack by the former president of the United States (whose organization had a few hours earlier taken the current president hostage and killed him), only for said ex-president to be killed in a swordfight in broad daylight on top of the rubble.

There was that whole government conspiracy/secret AI thing that kept the specifics of that under wraps.

At least, it used to.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Prison Warden posted:

There was that whole government conspiracy/secret AI thing that kept the specifics of that under wraps.

At least, it used to.

There definitely seems to be an ongoing theme in Revengeance about how now that the Patriots are gone all their secret awesome poo poo is out for everyone to look at everything has gone crazy.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
As cheesy as the whole encounter is, I like Mistral's back story, where as a cyborg, killing regular dudes is so easy and risk-free for her that it feels like working in a human slaughterhouse or something. It helps a story with as many sci-fi conceits as this one has to link that stuff to recognizable human emotions, in terms of how it affects people's lives. It's a small thing but I'm into it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I would absolutely love to know what the history books were like in the Metal Gear universe.

Well, prior to MGS4 they probably just said "Nothing happened. Everything's cool" and you couldn't look at any other page without your nanomachines killing you.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Tupperwarez posted:

A Jack Frost with Raiden's flip-visor thing would be pretty sweet. "JACK'S BACK, HEE-HO!" *casts Hassou Tobi* :unsmigghh:

Come to think of it, a giant dick chariot would be refreshingly subtle from Kojima and Platinum both.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Neruz posted:

Maybe MGR2 can have a giant mantis robot buddy.
And then an octopus! And a raven! Honestly if they were as cool as Scruff McGruff here I'd be all for it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

And then, finally, an ocelot-shaped robot buddy?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Unless all those robot bodies can then match up with Raiden and form a Large Raiden, there's no point.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would play a Voltron-inspired Metal Gear Rising game. I would play it and I would love it. I don't care if Raiden is even in it as long as I get to play as a giant robot and the baddest-rear end metal gears are normal fodder enemies.

edit: Sunny. I want to play as Sunny in Metal Gear Rising: Re-Revengeance. A giant robot made out of different metal gears with Sunny as the head and dammit I want there to be an egg cooking sub-game that teaches you how to play.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I finally bought and beat this game so I could watch this LP without spoiling it for myself. I have no regrets.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

IronSaber posted:

I finally bought and beat this game so I could watch this LP without spoiling it for myself. I have no regrets.

So how did you like the final boss? :allears:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

So how did you like the final boss? :allears:

Holy poo poo, it was the best boss battle I've ever played. Ganondorf, Mother Brain, Ornstein and Smough, The Joker... they all kinda pale in comparison to slicing the gently caress out of a 'roided out US Senator who spews political platitudes and throws chunks of a giant robot at you.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I think I can say that that final series of fights against Armstrong is one of the best final boss fights in the history of video games. Everything about the fight from the moment Excelsus pops out of the ground to NANOMACHINES SON to the final blow against Armstrong is just perfect Metal Gear.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

toanoradian posted:

Unless all those robot bodies can then match up with Raiden and form a Large Raiden, there's no point.

And the official name, the one that will be displayed right under the health bar, should be "Large Raiden"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Obviously the giant robot should be named The Rain, so Raiden can finally live up to Snake's prophecy.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

Obviously the giant robot should be named The Rain, so Raiden can finally live up to Snake's prophecy.

Only if Raiden yells THE RAIN! constantly.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It will be equipped with two swords, one named Revenge and the other Vengeance.

In finishing move sequences it combines them.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

It also fires sword bullets, sword grenades, and has a sword tommygun. Oh and swords for armor.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Neruz posted:

I mean, Armstrong did.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I dunno there's something rather entertaining about the idea of Raiden becoming Large Raiden which is literally just Raiden only biggerer. Nothing else, maybe hes stronger or something but mostly it's just Raiden only big.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Neurion posted:

It also fires sword bullets, sword grenades, and has a sword tommygun. Oh and swords for armor.

The swords can all do the anime thing that fires off shock waves. Said shock waves are explicitly shaped like Scimitars, handles and all.

When you go into ripper mode, the scimitars become katanas.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'd pay money for a dlc that just added a taunt pack, equivalent to 50 cent's swear button. Jack is back! seems to be a thread favorite but I'd probably die of delight if I could hear Raiden unironically say "Revengance" in a sentence in the course of the actual game.

edit: gently caress it, even ironically.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Neruz posted:

I dunno there's something rather entertaining about the idea of Raiden becoming Large Raiden which is literally just Raiden only biggerer. Nothing else, maybe hes stronger or something but mostly it's just Raiden only big.

Needs a roar like a dinosaur button. I want my Large Raiden to be a Gurlugon, but in the form of Raiden.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dragonatrix posted:

Needs a roar like a dinosaur button. I want my Large Raiden to be a Gurlugon, but in the form of Raiden.

I'd settle for a Mecha Godzilla myself.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'd settle for a Mecha Godzilla myself.

Only if it's the one that literally has the spirit of a dino-roaring monster that makes it change its roar when unleashed.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

So why do Gekko moo? Are they trying to emulate their big brothers' dinosaur roars or do they just think they're livestock?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

LAY-ZX posted:

So why do Gekko moo? Are they trying to emulate their big brothers' dinosaur roars or do they just think they're livestock?

Because having a Hulk-Leaping tank with legs mooing at you while shooting all your buddies is freaking unsettling

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

I have a sudden hankering for Gekko burgers.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Half Life 2 came out before MGS4, right?

Because that might explain where Kojima got the idea...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

LAY-ZX posted:

Yeah it's a tradition to have robots make animal sounds.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

We don't actually know what type of meat Gekkos are made of, do we?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

LAY-ZX posted:

I do not believe any explanation is ever given for why Gekko make any sounds at all. I could understand if they had some kind of voice-synth since they are semisentient, but mooing? The only possible answer is "Metal Gear"

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Well, you know how you could basically put a child soldier's brain into anything, regardless of if it was shaped like a human?

Before they trained child soldiers, they used animal testing. Cows proved to be the most adept at piloting geckos.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Wasn't there some codec call or another in MGS4 that basically said the reason Gekkos moo and make cow noises is because it freaks enemy soldiers the gently caress out to hear this angry bull-robot mooing and stomping around like some horrible abomination of science? It's psychological warfare.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

LeafyOrb posted:

We don't actually know what type of meat Gekkos are made of, do we?

The legs are composed of artificially created muscle tissue cloned from the stem cells of ungulate embryos.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kai Tave posted:

Wasn't there some codec call or another in MGS4 that basically said the reason Gekkos moo and make cow noises is because it freaks enemy soldiers the gently caress out to hear this angry bull-robot mooing and stomping around like some horrible abomination of science? It's psychological warfare.

That makes way too much sense to be true.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Ah, this is kind of a tangent from roar-discussion, but I found this video concerning Raiden's Blade Mode, and I think that it's something we can all appreciate. At least, I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKein_Mkp2Q

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

bman in 2288 posted:

Ah, this is kind of a tangent from roar-discussion, but I found this video concerning Raiden's Blade Mode, and I think that it's something we can all appreciate. At least, I did.

Raiden's ability to turn into a supersonic blender with no noticable warning is definitely one of his more dangerous aspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

I'm gonna take this video as proof that the boss themes actually come from Raiden's built-in skull iPod.

• Locked thread