Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

If I watch one three minute video, I'll still have to watch nine more before I receive a single piece of Battle Camp's premium currency. :fart:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Bummey posted:

If I watch one three minute video, I'll still have to watch nine more before I receive a single piece of Battle Camp's premium currency. :fart:

Battle Camp tip: Delete it and download Puzzles and Dragons. Or just delete it.

tut
Nov 4, 2004

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I'm giving BC a shot because I like the way it looks. I've sunk a month or so into PAD and I love it.

In the group as tutpsu, btw.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Yeah, I like the look and having more than straight dungeons you pick from the menu but gently caress this game. It's somehow way worse than PAD as a F2P game. I have to collect a bunch of rare pieces to get a rare monster? You have a great deal to buy this super rare monster for 50 coins but only if you jump right now gently caress off.

The Kins posted:

Trends in monetization may come and go, but some things never change:

This was the first ios game that I anticipated. It was $5.99 (A huge amount for a non-square game at the time) and broken to poo poo. When I updated later I found out that on top of that they charged you for the 3rd classes they promised was going to be out near launch and $1.99 (each) to play as all the monster classes.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 18, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
When there's stuff like frozen synapse or space chem or the kairosoft games or poo poo tons of biardgames with ai, why care about these mindless skinner box games.

Don't use the "they're just poop games" excuse you guys seem to be setting aside time to play these awful things and not just on the bathroom. Maybe a seperate Ipad Poop Games Megathread would be a good thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

People talking about games I don't like in a general games thread? How dare they! :argh:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well... yeah, there's that but I just feel like I don't hear about neat playable games until its too late, I only check the thread sporadically bcause it's mostly play by plays on clicking on alpacas or games like this battle camp horror.:sigh:

I probably have more than enough games on my pad, anyway.

vv They go off sale

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 18, 2013

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Well... yeah, there's that but I just feel like I don't hear about neat playable games until its too late,

Do they disappear or something?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bummey posted:

That is unbelievably stingy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy gently caress Berserk mode in Pivvot is a kick in the nuts. Welp that was a neat little game.

e: oh weird Puzzle & Dragon is kinda busted in iOS7. you have to swipe, not tap, on the buttons along the bottom to change your screen

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 18, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

DrManiac posted:

You have a great deal to buy this super rare monster for 50 coins but only if you jump right now gently caress off.

You have a chance to get the super special tell your grandkids about it monster.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

BUT ONLY IF YOU ACT NOW

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don't know who suggested Infectioner: Hot Chase but the game just sorta crashes as soon as you hit your first barricade.

:\

e: never mind it's just a crashy mess in general

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 18, 2013

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Bummey posted:

There are thousands of games on the app store. Why would you waste your time with a piece of poo poo that does this?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
No dude totally watch 25 HOURS of videos to get enough gold to get that monster you will tell your grandchildren about, you lazy gently caress.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Warning: if you actually tell your grandchildren about monsters you bought in an ipad game, they will put you in a home the first time you cough.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I now have pieces of about seven different monsters that I'm probably never going to finish collecting, and have no idea which ones I should pursue.

PROGRESS!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ihatepants posted:

It was me. Sorry that you guys don't like it. :smith: I still think it's pretty good and better than PAD in many ways.

It's better at telling you to feed the IAP beast of gently caress off, and better at spamming your social media to advertise itself. That's about it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

delfin posted:

I now have pieces of about seven different monsters that I'm probably never going to finish collecting, and have no idea which ones I should pursue.

PROGRESS!

I'm calling it, Battle camp has the shittiest iap system I seen so far. Whoever came up with having to watch 10 videos to get one goddamn coin should be beat. Splitting up the best monsters into a bunch of puzzle pieces after you spend money to spin the good machine is also really goddamn lovely. The only iap that I seen that's worst is that knockoff Pokemon platformer that was pulled beacuse everything was $100.

I don't think I'll ever complaint about PAD. $1 gets you 1 magic stone. you want to expand you inventory that's 1 stone, you want to get at the good egg machine it's 5. It even gives you stones every now and then for completing levels and ranking up.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 19, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

psylent posted:

There are thousands of games on the app store. Why would you waste your time with a piece of poo poo that does this?

Eh. I'm curious to see how each new original and Popular_Game_Clone_07 is monetized. I like to see how much more ruthless this poo poo gets with each passing year. Remember when that assbag created the GearScore addon for WoW? He single handedly changed the way the game was played, ruined a lot of things overnight and it's never been the same since (I say, having not played wow for a long time). This is how things will be from now on; there's no escaping it; this is simply How Things Are Now, and I want to experience it.

Also I hate my life

Bummey fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 19, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
E: ^^^^ For someone that has never touched WoW and doesn't plan to, is there a short summary somewhere of what you're referring to?

DrManiac posted:

I'm calling it, Battle camp has the shittiest iap system I seen so far. Whoever came up with having to watch 10 videos to get one goddamn coin should be beat. Splitting up the best monsters into a bunch of puzzle pieces after you spend money to spin the good machine is also really goddamn lovely. The only iap that I seen that's worst is that knockoff Pokemon platformer that was pulled beacuse everything was $100.

I don't think I'll ever complaint about PAD. $1 gets you 1 magic stone. you want to expand you inventory that's 1 stone, you want to get at the good egg machine it's 5. It even gives you stones every now and then for completing levels and ranking up.

On the upside $60 gets you 85 stones. If you're playing the game and think you might want to play for a fair amount and/or roll some on a good godfest (like the one that just ended) it's worth considering to take the plunge and buy the large pack. Otherwise you end up buying 3-4 smaller packs and getting less stones while spending more money.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Maybe a seperate Ipad Poop Games Megathread would be a good thing.

One man's poop game is another man's deep, immersive experience.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Sad lions posted:

Slowly dawned on me that it's incredibly problematic how rare healing potions are now and that you can only buy them via those dumbass tokens. Please someone tell me you can have the alchemist make them somehow.

Also it's looking like you can't just restart the story and retain character progression whenever you want anymore. I've been enjoying the game a lot but it's gonna blow if I have to grind the same area for ages so I can get money and skill points.

No I don't think the alchemist can make them, but the guy can give you a regen after battle ability. It pretty significant too. I recovered 450hp out of 1250 max after a single battle. I save my potion for my 2nd try on a boss and that is it I haven't bought a single potion so far and I'm up to the tier 3 areas.

I'm saving my point for big keys when I'm in the end game. I tried a treasure map for 600 points and got some ring with only 2 gem slots so I don't think they are going to be worth the points.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

E: ^^^^ For someone that has never touched WoW and doesn't plan to, is there a short summary somewhere of what you're referring to?

On the upside $60 gets you 85 stones. If you're playing the game and think you might want to play for a fair amount and/or roll some on a good godfest (like the one that just ended) it's worth considering to take the plunge and buy the large pack. Otherwise you end up buying 3-4 smaller packs and getting less stones while spending more money.

Please don't tell me you spent $60 on that game

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Do you guys play a lot of the touch-screen d-pad style games using the actual touchscreen?

I only ask because I really hate touchscreens as input devices for anything other than rhythm-based tapping and broad swipes. I have a jailbroken iPad and I connected a PS3 controller to it using Blutrol ($6.99) so I can control basically any game that has on-screen skeumorphic buttons.

Blutrol accepts a screenshot of the game wherein you overlay the buttons from your chosen controller to where they exist on the gaming screen. It even lets you make different layouts for landscape and portrait and maintains per-game profiles.

I honestly couldn't play games like Spellsword or Fargoal before because my hands would cramp up and I'd get frustrated when my fingers floated off the designated d-pad. With a dualshock controller basically every game is 100x more refined in its controls.

Not to mention it also works with the various emulators on the iOS platform...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The difference between Battle Camp and PAD's monetization is that PAD makes me want to spend a couple bucks here and there while Battle Camp, so far, takes every single opportunity to beg me for spare change. I'm not sure if the former is "better" or if I'm glad it's the way games are going but I find the latter sort of embarrassing & pathetic. PAD at least gives the illusion (even though I'm not naive enough to believe it's the case) that it was designed bottom-up with a core mechanic of Pokemon + Bejeweled & then was monetized from there with a slot-machine & stamina system. Battle Camp and Puzzle Troopers both feel like they figured out how it was gonna make money first, and then actual game systems were developed to fill in the blanks. PAD was probably designed this way too but the overall presentation at least does a good job of masking it; the nag screens in Battle Camp where it begs you to drop $5 now to get a 3x chance of winning a monster that probably has a single-digit percentile chance of showing up to begin with are just embarrassing.

Edit: actually, "developed mechanics" is a little generous -- Battle Camp does some cool stuff but Puzzle Troopers is basically a wholesale westernized reskin.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just be thankful there's no Cookie Clicker iOS. Yet.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

Do you guys play a lot of the touch-screen d-pad style games using the actual touchscreen?

I only ask because I really hate touchscreens as input devices for anything other than rhythm-based tapping and broad swipes. I have a jailbroken iPad and I connected a PS3 controller to it using Blutrol ($6.99) so I can control basically any game that has on-screen skeumorphic buttons.

Blutrol accepts a screenshot of the game wherein you overlay the buttons from your chosen controller to where they exist on the gaming screen. It even lets you make different layouts for landscape and portrait and maintains per-game profiles.

I honestly couldn't play games like Spellsword or Fargoal before because my hands would cramp up and I'd get frustrated when my fingers floated off the designated d-pad. With a dualshock controller basically every game is 100x more refined in its controls.

Not to mention it also works with the various emulators on the iOS platform...

I've tried it and it just didn't work like I wanted it to. Good idea but we just need someone to start using the BT controller features they put in iOS recently

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

vv They go off sale
When you find a game you want to play, put it in the Appshopper app's wish list and have it notify you on price changes. This is how I get The Room for 1 dollar and enjoy it as much as anyone else ever did.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Bummey posted:

Eh. I'm curious to see how each new original and Popular_Game_Clone_07 is monetized. I like to see how much more ruthless this poo poo gets with each passing year. Remember when that assbag created the GearScore addon for WoW? He single handedly changed the way the game was played, ruined a lot of things overnight and it's never been the same since (I say, having not played wow for a long time). This is how things will be from now on; there's no escaping it; this is simply How Things Are Now, and I want to experience it.

Also I hate my life
Was never a fan of WoW so I missed all that drama.

There are plenty of games that don't use this model so there's no reason to waste your time on it. It's like jumping into a poo poo filled pit, rolling around and then complaining about the dirt and the smell.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Can anybody recommend a good word game for me? Probably asynchronous head to head, but something like Wordament-style would be fine too. Already play Letterpress but a bit burned out, and don't want a Boggle- or Scrabble-like. Preference would be for something timed with the possibility for long words.

Or just what's the best word game, I guess.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

^^^ Puzzlejuice isn't head to head but I would compare high scores with my friends for weeks when it first came out.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The addon looked at someone's currently equipped items and calculated a number to represent overall how good your gear was. Different pieces have different values, and I think where it fit on a character (head, chest, etc) made a difference too. Your gear score came to pretty much define what groups/raids/dungeons people would do with you IIRC.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Can anybody recommend a good word game for me? Probably asynchronous head to head, but something like Wordament-style would be fine too. Already play Letterpress but a bit burned out, and don't want a Boggle- or Scrabble-like. Preference would be for something timed with the possibility for long words.

Or just what's the best word game, I guess.

I thought Quarrel was pretty fun. It's like Risk but conquest is resolved via anagram, not dice.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

^^^ Puzzlejuice isn't head to head but I would compare high scores with my friends for weeks when it first came out.

Puzzlejuice is also fun to play "coop" on an iPad with one person making words and the other making rows/tapping colors.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

psylent posted:

Was never a fan of WoW so I missed all that drama.

Gear Score was a player-made addon that looked at the "ilevels" of your gear (ie: each piece of gear had an item level based on its stats (or the other way around, actually) and the quality tier in which it dropped. An item with an ilevel of 80 was "better" and dropped from a higher raid than an item with an ilevel of 70) and totaled them up, outputting your overall "gear score." From that point on your worth as a player (and even a guild member, up to a point) was cut down to a number, your gear score, rather than skill or even the individual stats of your gear and how they played into your build. Groups recruited members based on gear score, so you ran into all sorts of problems with good players being rejected from a group or raid because they didn't meet an arbitrary number decided by whoever was organizing the group, and piss poor players (who were frequently carried through raids and managed to get into a lucky loot seed where gear for their class kept dropping) getting groups and tanking the run because whoops that rogue didn't watch the pbaoe aoe and wiped the party. And again, and again. Or just because if you took a break for a month you'd come back and your gear score was poo poo and Jimmy McBillyFuck's beat you by 50, or worse hundreds higher.

This was compounded by problems with the aforementioned loot seeds. When the raid instance is opened, a unique raid ID is rolled and everyone is locked into that ID once the first boss is killed. Along with that, a number is rolled based on ??? and that determined the loot that dropped for the duration of that raid ID. It was not uncommon to see one guild get the same drops week after week after week, probably because the same person (frequently the guild leader or a designated officer) always built the ID at a specific time on a specific day etc. My magician, for example, did not get a single piece of loot for a full year, but during that year I build up a lot of skill and experience. Billy McFuckJimmy, on the other hand, attended two raids and happened to be the right class to get all the loot that no one could use, so his gear score shot through the roof (although his skill didn't) while mine remained static (skill etc).

Blizzard eventually adopted and implemented this system into the random dungeon finder, so you'd be unable to even queue for a given dungeon unless you found which piece of gear was bringing your score down ,and it wasn't always obvious.

What I'm saying is fart. The game changed more permanently than anything Blizzard could have done, even recreating the base world in Cataclysm didn't affect the game as strongly. I'm not saying Battle Camp is going to change the IAP game, that's not my argument, but the whole freemium-gently caress-the-player-dollar-dollar-bills scheme has irrevocably changed things for the worse.

p.s. yes I'm kind of bitter about how it ruined a game I enjoyed at the time, or more accurately how it affected my opportunities to play the game

Bummey fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 19, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

goferchan posted:

The difference between Battle Camp and PAD's monetization is that PAD makes me want to spend a couple bucks here and there while Battle Camp, so far, takes every single opportunity to beg me for spare change. I'm not sure if the former is "better" or if I'm glad it's the way games are going but I find the latter sort of embarrassing & pathetic. PAD at least gives the illusion (even though I'm not naive enough to believe it's the case) that it was designed bottom-up with a core mechanic of Pokemon + Bejeweled & then was monetized from there with a slot-machine & stamina system. Battle Camp and Puzzle Troopers both feel like they figured out how it was gonna make money first, and then actual game systems were developed to fill in the blanks. PAD was probably designed this way too but the overall presentation at least does a good job of masking it; the nag screens in Battle Camp where it begs you to drop $5 now to get a 3x chance of winning a monster that probably has a single-digit percentile chance of showing up to begin with are just embarrassing.

The other big thing is that PAD walks the tightrope between being whale-friendly and free-friendly. PAD is sufficiently generous with the premium currency to give free players a reasonable taste of what's on the other side of the IAP wall. It gives you a long buildup of beatable levels to let you grasp what the game is about before it dangles anything heavy in front of you, and while it requires some grinding to get evolution items for your monsters, it gives you enough for free to let you buy box spaces and an occasional rare pull. (It also doesn't have any loving fetch quests.)

Battle Camp isn't a lovely game underneath all the begging and BUY BUY BUY. I've played shittier PAD clones by far. It's just a shame that they decided to shove the premiums and the social media overload right in the face of every player from the start.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

ZerodotJander posted:

I thought Quarrel was pretty fun. It's like Risk but conquest is resolved via anagram, not dice.

#1 on the xbox ranked match leaderboard :smug: Nobody plays anymore on xbox though. Did they roll out multiplayer on iOS ever? If so I'll definitely start playing again.

Checking out Puzzlejuice, thanks.

E: Puzzlejuice is pretty cool.

Tokyo Sex Whale fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 19, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SynthOrange posted:

Just be thankful there's no Cookie Clicker iOS. Yet.

What the gently caress is cookie clicker? It's all I hear about on Guild Chat in FFXIV...

Also, on topic: I think Infinity Blade 3 is a solid, good game. But man, steer clear if you were bored of the formula. For such a big name game, they have done jack poo poo to make it feel any different than 2 or 1, really. (in terms of gameplay... sure there are trappings outside of that...)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Bummey posted:

Gear Score
Now I'm really glad I never bothered with WoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Feenix posted:

What the gently caress is cookie clicker? It's all I hear about on Guild Chat in FFXIV...

Also, on topic: I think Infinity Blade 3 is a solid, good game. But man, steer clear if you were bored of the formula. For such a big name game, they have done jack poo poo to make it feel any different than 2 or 1, really. (in terms of gameplay... sure there are trappings outside of that...)

Cookie Clicker is a poor man's Candy Box. gently caress Cookie Clicker!

• Locked thread