Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

crankdatbatman posted:

I have never been to a Lips show so I can't really say, but "Race for the Prize" and "You Lust" don't really seem like they'd segue with each other that well.

Wayne talks, sometimes a lot, between songs usually so that kind of thing doesn't usually matter. At that show he took the time to have Sarah from Phantogram come out and then did his "she says she'll only sing with me if I pull her hair, should I do it guys?" bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I've been thinking about the show I went to last weekend a lot and I'm feeling pretty down about the new stage show. It was definitely the worst Lips show I've been to, and I was at one of their split shows with Weezer. On Long Island, during a massive rain storm with dozens of LI bros booing the Lips so they could hear the Sweater Song.

The only thing that makes me feel better about it is that I saw pictures from the show they did at the Wellmont in NJ and that show looked way more fun. I think the new album is great but after seeing them during the Embryonic tour all I wanted to do was drag all my friends to see them, it didn't matter whether my friends knew who the Flaming Lips were I was confident they would have an amazing experience. Now, after this Prospect Park show, I'm not nearly as confident.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
The Lips are going to be playing that special hour-long 30th anniversary set HERE in about ten minutes.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Holy poo poo they're playing Bag Full of Thoughts right now!

I'll keep this post updated with the setlist:

Race for the Prize
Bag Full of Thoughts
Love Yer Brain
Unconsciously Screamin'
You Have to Be Joking (Autopsy of the Devil's Brain)
Moth in the Incubator
She Don't Use Jelly
Riding to Work in the Year 2025 (Your Invisible Now)
Waitin' for a Superman
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 23, 2013

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

"We wanted to have at least a minute and a half distorted bass solo on our first track on our first album... and it does!" Never change Wayne.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Unconsciously Screamin' sounds loving amazing!

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Holy poo poo. Just tuned in. I hope this is being recorded!

They're on Superman now.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

weirdojace posted:

Holy poo poo. Just tuned in. I hope this is being recorded!

They're on Superman now.

Hopefully this doesn't count as :filez: since it's a radio broadcast:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2bby4ksq4ietz37

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Whats the chances of them coming to Boston? Debating if I should drive to CT to see them :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Whats the chances of them coming to Boston? Debating if I should drive to CT to see them :(

They usually come this way. Just wait and see what happens.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
That was amazing. Hearing Unconsciously Screamin was the best. Wayne sounded so good on it too!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

CPL593H posted:

They usually come this way. Just wait and see what happens.

gently caress it, grabbed tickets. Mini road trip + I like spiritualized and have never seen him before.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Sorry to bring this thread back to the dead, but the Lips announced a few tour dates with Tame Impala later this year. I'm going to the show in Maryland and am pretty stoked as I love both bands.

Since the shows are a little different from their typical sets this summer, I'm hoping for a different set list, maybe some more stuff from Heady Fwends, but regardless I'm already looking forward to it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I'm going to see them in CT and Boston and the Boston date got me to check out Tame Impala and holy poo poo how did I sleep on this band. I had their first album since it came out and didn't listen to it until yesterday, it's loving awesome.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

rear end Catchcum posted:

I'm going to see them in CT and Boston and the Boston date got me to check out Tame Impala and holy poo poo how did I sleep on this band. I had their first album since it came out and didn't listen to it until yesterday, it's loving awesome.

Their second album, Lonerism, is even better :ssh:

Never pass up an opportunity to see those guys live. They're fun as hell to talk to, too.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I really hope they use those opportunities to do Children of the Moon live.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Honestly I might be kind of pissed if they didn't.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
The band just posted a cover of Devo's "Gates of Steel" to Vimeo. They kind of slow it down and give it more of a stately feel (while still feeling appropriately tripped-out, since this is post-Terror Flaming Lips after all). I think it's a pretty good cover, but then again "Gates of Steel" is one of my absolute favorite Devo songs so I might be a bit biased.

https://vimeo.com/70785596

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheNintenGenius posted:

The band just posted a cover of Devo's "Gates of Steel" to Vimeo. They kind of slow it down and give it more of a stately feel (while still feeling appropriately tripped-out, since this is post-Terror Flaming Lips after all). I think it's a pretty good cover, but then again "Gates of Steel" is one of my absolute favorite Devo songs so I might be a bit biased.

https://vimeo.com/70785596

Holy poo poo, this is so good. The Flaming Lips always do the best covers.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

The Lips are going to be doing another 30th anniversary retrospective show at WB headquarters in a few hours and the whole this is going to be streamed here.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Have the link open, but it doesn't seem to be happening? Maybe at the top of the hour.

e: It had a timer that counted down to half-past, but it's quarter-to and it just says "in a few moments."

ee: It's half-past again. gently caress if I know.

eee: According to someone commenting on the youtube page, they're at least five songs in at the gig, but the stream is still hosed.

eeeefb.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 2, 2013

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
They're already 5 songs in and the stream still isn't up. Another shining example of the love and care that Warner Bros gives the Lips.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

In other news, I've been listening to my recently-acquired copy of Oh My Gawd a shitton recently. Fantastic record. Holy poo poo, I wish I had written it.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Figured I'd bump this thread to share this:

http://instagram.com/p/eaeypGRwqT/

Caption reads: "Hey!!! I need your help!!!!we are lookin for a 4-song cassette that we recorded in 1983... ?????"

No idea what Wayne's talking about but I figured Surfingelectrode probably would.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Figured I'd bump this thread to share this:

http://instagram.com/p/eaeypGRwqT/

Caption reads: "Hey!!! I need your help!!!!we are lookin for a 4-song cassette that we recorded in 1983... ?????"

No idea what Wayne's talking about but I figured Surfingelectrode probably would.

I think he's trying to find a copy of their second demo tape. The first one was released on the Finally the Punk Rockers are Taking Acid boxset. Here's the only photo of them I've ever seen:

I'm pretty meh on the Lips right now. Their setlists have gotten really stale (again) and I'm really bummed/disappointed about them doing music for the Ender's Game movie.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 18, 2013

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Surfingelectrode posted:

music for the Ender's Game movie.

WHAT

Oh goddammit.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
hahaha that's amazing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm pretty meh on the Lips right now. Their setlists have gotten really stale (again) and I'm really bummed/disappointed about them doing music for the Ender's Game movie.
:psyboom:

Well now I have to see that movie.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:psyboom:

Well now I have to see that movie.

Well, if you do, pay for a ticket for something else so that you aren't giving money to a horrible, piece of poo poo bigot.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Well, if you do, pay for a ticket for something else so that you aren't giving money to a horrible, piece of poo poo bigot.

I'd be really surprised if this movie doesn't bomb. Everyone hates Card now. He was going to do some project for DC Comics and after his vehement homophobia was made public they scrapped the whole thing and now no one wants to work with him on anything. A good chunk of this movie's demographic is very pro-gay. Plus it just generally looks like a big steaming pile.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Do the Lips just have a song on the soundtrack or something? They aren't the listed composer for the film so it really doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

Surfingelectrode posted:

Will Card actually be receiving any money from the film's proceeds? Generally after the rights to the work are purchased the author doesn't make any money off of it. Card is listed as a producer but the Wikipedia article says his involvement with the film is minimal, and unless he negotiated for a cut of the gross (which is difficult in Hollywood as you're literally asking for a slice the profit reserved for the studios themselves) then he's not making any money from ticket sales. In either case, It's not like songs written for movies by the Lips in the past have been integrated into the film, and I highly doubt that Card will be making anything off of soundtrack sales or sales of the EP based on the material the Lips wrote for the film. Ender's Game is an enormously popular book, and it's relevance has outlasted the popularity of the author that wrote it, one of the main reasons being that (as CPL593H said) everyone knows about his lovely views. Wayne and the gang are about as complicit in Card's douchebaggery as the other thousands of people employed for that film production and the untold millions of people who bought and read the book.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, on the upside, basically everyone involved in the production seems to be going out of their way to knock OSC, which is good, but just the fact that this loving movie exists depresses me. I had to read a novella version of the book for a sci-fi course in college, and I hated every minute of it.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
So the EP is called Peace Sword, is six tracks long and will be coming out on Black Friday.

Three tracks titles are "Think Like A Machine, Not A Boy," "Wolf Children" and "Assassin Beetle/The Dream is Ending."

:420:ENDER'S GAY:420:

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Will it be on a physical format?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

Will it be on a physical format?

I'm assuming yes, because it's probably for the Black Friday RSD thing.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

CPL593H posted:

I'd be really surprised if this movie doesn't bomb. Everyone hates Card now. He was going to do some project for DC Comics and after his vehement homophobia was made public they scrapped the whole thing and now no one wants to work with him on anything. A good chunk of this movie's demographic is very pro-gay. Plus it just generally looks like a big steaming pile.

He wrote for the conservative paper in the city I live in and got fired even there, so

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Slackerish posted:

He wrote for the conservative paper in the city I live in and got fired even there, so

Holy poo poo. What do you even have to do to be too batshit for the conservative news media?

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

CPL593H posted:

Holy poo poo. What do you even have to do to be too batshit for the conservative news media?

Well we are talking about the guy who recently rewrote Hamlet "for a modern audience" where it's revealed that Hamlet's father was actually a pedophile who molested half of the court and turned them gay and tricked Hamlet into killing Claudius (because Horatio actually killed King Hamlet because of the "pedophile who turned me gay" angle) and Hamlet gets sent to hell where he can be molested by his horrible pervert gay pedo father forever. That's a level of crazy that kind of goes above and beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheNintenGenius posted:

Well we are talking about the guy who recently rewrote Hamlet "for a modern audience" where it's revealed that Hamlet's father was actually a pedophile who molested half of the court and turned them gay and tricked Hamlet into killing Claudius (because Horatio actually killed King Hamlet because of the "pedophile who turned me gay" angle) and Hamlet gets sent to hell where he can be molested by his horrible pervert gay pedo father forever. That's a level of crazy that kind of goes above and beyond.

The lady doth protest too much, me thinks.

• Locked thread