Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Five or six hose clamps would have been the way to go if he wanted to make a lasting repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I wonder if he thought it would hold until he could get it welded?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I've seen a set of leafs held together with tack welded coathanger wire. Dumb knows no limits.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I used 30-yards of button & carpet thread to hold a motor mount together on a 383 driving my 1965 Plymouth Fury. It held for almost a year.

Here's a '65 Bonneville fixer-upper:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I held my motor up in my truck using 60-100 feet of home depot poly rope. The kind that has "288lb limit" in very small print in one place, and otherwise says it's for clotheslines only.

Desperate times, desperate measures. Motor mount broke off the block (severe deathwobble, one block boss cracked off, two bolts sheared, and out it came) so I jacked it up by the oil pan, then made a hammock/sling for the engine out of as much rope as I could get passed back and forth between the frame side mounts and lowered the engine onto it.

Then I drove it (very gingerly) 15 miles home, 10 miles to a friend's house to pick up the new motor the next morning, and 10 miles home. The exhaust had melted through 75% of the rope by then.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

the bsd boys posted:

You mean zap straps.

Those go on the other side.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

General_Failure posted:

Ahahaha holy poo poo. Nothing like trying to bodge a serious bit of steel with the weakest and shittiest tape ever devised.

Why not just drill through all the leafs, put a big grade 8 bolt through with big washers?

I mean, I know its stupid and compromises the springs, but c'mon. Put some effort in your redneck repairs.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ratchet straps would be an accepted redneck fix duct tape is pure lazy

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

tater_salad posted:

Ratchet straps would be an accepted redneck fix duct tape is pure lazy
Ehhhh.... I think some of the more redneck fixes of redneck fixes involved fixing a fender with duct tape, a map, and a couple of clamps.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've seen a set of leafs held together with tack welded coathanger wire. Dumb knows no limits.

A coat hanger makes a serviceable filler rod in a pinch :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

kastein posted:

Motor mount broke off the block (severe deathwobble, one block boss cracked off, two bolts sheared, and out it came)

As someone with little knowledge of engine block repair, would that be remotely fixable by a skilled welder, or is it not worth it?u

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

atomicthumbs posted:

As someone with little knowledge of engine block repair, would that be remotely fixable by a skilled welder, or is it not worth it?u

Probably not, welding onto cast metal is usually a bitch, and that area would probably just break again without careful heat treatment.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EightBit posted:

Probably not, welding onto cast metal is usually a bitch, and that area would probably just break again without careful heat treatment.

This. The only way I could see it being attempted is if the block is something rare, like a side-oiler FE, an original-to-a-specific-chassis engine for a restoration, or something.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

MadScientistWorking posted:

Ehhhh.... I think some of the more redneck fixes of redneck fixes involved fixing a fender with duct tape, a map, and a couple of clamps.

Hey, it worked for the moon rover, so why not here?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

EightBit posted:

Forgive my ignorance of welding, but in a case like this, wouldn't you be better off brazing instead of welding?

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Why not just drill through all the leafs, put a big grade 8 bolt through with big washers?

I mean, I know its stupid and compromises the springs, but c'mon. Put some effort in your redneck repairs.

You've never tried drilling through spring steel, have you? Particularly freehand with a hand drill on springs still mounted to the truck you're trying to get off the trail. It's a bad enough process with proper equipment on a drill press, it's nearly impossible laying on your back in the dirt.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

murphle posted:

You've never tried drilling through spring steel, have you? Particularly freehand with a hand drill on springs still mounted to the truck you're trying to get off the trail. It's a bad enough process with proper equipment on a drill press, it's nearly impossible laying on your back in the dirt.

Nearly impossible? I couldn't even imagine it. You'd be in deeper for drill bits than a new leaf.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

murphle posted:

Not redneck enough. Use a powder nailer to make that hole.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Not redneck enough. Use a powder nailer to make that hole.

better yet mount the drill to a log and then lower the truck onto the drill, I call it a truckpress

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
A true redneck would (try to) shoot a hole in it with his ar15

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
C-Clamps or Vice Grips are the real solution.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

murphle posted:

They aren't too bad if you use carbide masonry drill bits and a drill press. Not something I'd try with a hand drill or on the trail however.

atomicthumbs posted:

Maybe. You'd want high nickel (probably Ni55 or Ni99) welding rod, a LOT of preheat (so prepare to drop the engine and strip the block bare, then hot tank it and put a rosebud on it) and a pile of sand or a lot of welding blankets to keep it cooling down slowly, probably with some peening to relieve stress. Just plain not worth it for a motor I can buy for $100 after choosing from 15 donors at the local you-pull. And...

MrChips posted:

Forgive my ignorance of welding, but in a case like this, wouldn't you be better off brazing instead of welding?

... is correct. Brazing cast iron is a lot easier than welding it. Makes a pretty nice strong repair, too, I've seen videos of pros doing repairs on the bearing seats in cast iron steering knuckles for extremely heavy road maintenance/sand/plow trucks by grinding out the dirty lovely metal, filling everything with braze till it's past where it needs to be, then remachining the part to original dimensions. For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADTIZ2YE08A
This is part 1 of a 5-6 part series, I strongly recommend watching them all, it's amazing metalwork. That kind of thing is only logical if it's a rare/old/hard to find/expensive part however, if the same thing happened to me I have literally 5 spare steering knuckles that I've been too lazy to scrap and I can buy one of another 30-40 sitting at the yard for $10 each if all mine are junk.

Cast iron is one of those things you could probably oxy/ace weld if you were a 60 year welding veteran with black magic grade skills, a very good stick welder can do it, don't even think about it with any wirefeed process. Especially once it's been soaked with coolant and oil for two decades. Cast aluminum blocks? probably a lot easier, I haven't tried doing one but I bet it'd be possible especially if you got the oil/coolant out of the pores somehow. I don't know how cast aluminum has pores, but people I trust insist that it's more annoying to weld even after surface cleaning it, so it must.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

kastein posted:

... is correct. Brazing cast iron is a lot easier than welding it. Makes a pretty nice strong repair, too, I've seen videos of pros doing repairs on the bearing seats in cast iron steering knuckles for extremely heavy road maintenance/sand/plow trucks by grinding out the dirty lovely metal, filling everything with braze till it's past where it needs to be, then remachining the part to original dimensions. For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADTIZ2YE08A
This is part 1 of a 5-6 part series, I strongly recommend watching them all, it's amazing metalwork. That kind of thing is only logical if it's a rare/old/hard to find/expensive part however, if the same thing happened to me I have literally 5 spare steering knuckles that I've been too lazy to scrap and I can buy one of another 30-40 sitting at the yard for $10 each if all mine are junk.

Seems like that would've been way easier, better and faster to do by mounting it to a indexing head, put it in the bridgeport, boring the surfaces which are then fairly true. burr it, fill with braze, mount to same setup to re-machine leaving one side undersize then line bore it to get it parallel.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

We've used these guys at work in the past. They have some really amazing repair examples on their website.

http://www.locknstitch.com/RepairExamples.htm

They have special threaded bolts with heads that shear off and they just drill and tap and screw them in repeatedly. It's incredible.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Did you know the floorpan is not designed to support the weight of the vehicle?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
This is the first picture in this thread where Ive burst out laughing for over 5 seconds Im impressed

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Holy poo poo that's really bright and expensive

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
That's what I call laying frame.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Is the floorpan made of tupperware? Granted, no floorpan will stand up to that sort of abuse, but there doesn't look to be any plastic deformation - it's just gone straight to fracture.

What's truly mind-boggling is that the jack isn't still under the car - you'd think that it'd break when you put it down.

e: If it's a hellaflush abomination, now taking wagers that he claims on the warranty, like the Honda Jazz guy did (tried to?)

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I think the fractured white/black stuff you're seeing is the sound deadening insulation, the grey metal of the floor pan ripped clean like a pop can though.

I had a buddy pop a hole in his floor pan with jack stands almost 10 years back, wasn't as bad as above, but he did it a bit more creatively. He had the back of his '03 RSX jacked up and was working on installing an exhaust. I walked up and wanted to hear how it sounded with the muffler off, so he got in the car and keyed the ignition... with the car still in gear. The car lurched backwards and tipped the stands over, dropping the car about a foot to the ground and onto the feet of the tipped over stands. If someone had been under there, they'd have been crushed for sure. This was the same guy who painted his valve cover with something like red house paint after doing no masking work, and lost 2 of the 6 bolts that held it down in the process. The car was barely over a year old then, I can't imagine how it looks now.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
What kind of shitheap has a floorpan that weak? Unless he managed to unload the jack really fast or something I just can't see how that isn't the mfr cutting corners.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Das Volk posted:

What kind of shitheap has a floorpan that weak? Unless he managed to unload the jack really fast or something I just can't see how that isn't the mfr cutting corners.

When you have the weight of the car pressing on a tiny spot like the top of a jack-stand under a thin surface like a floorboard, something's gonna give. And it ain't gonna be the jack-stand.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
He couldve at least put wood between the car and the stand, that would have hopefully avoided the latter.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Preoptopus posted:

He couldve at least put wood between the car and the stand, that would have hopefully avoided the latter.

Or use the frame rail like any sane person...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I did that a couple years ago to my 2005 Focus hatchback when I was changing a motor mount. Didn't pop or penetrate the floorpan but it definitely deformed into a football-shaped lump that I later pounded out. I had the jack placed correctly but the parking lot had a slight slope and the weight of the car pushed the feet of the jack about an inch into the lovely soft asphalt, causing it to slip to the side and up into the driver side footwell. Definitely scared the poo poo out of me as I was placing the other jack to support the engine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I watched a jackstand go through the floor exactly like that with an 06 Evo 9.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
To me, that looks like something that would have happened if the car slipped off the jackstand and punched through.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

I watched a jackstand go through the floor exactly like that with an 06 Evo 9.

When your car is 40% rust, things like that happen :iceburn:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Arizona. Less than 10k on the car. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
What happens with the car, legally, in that kind of situation? Isn't it basically totalled at that point since the floor-pan is a major component of the unibody?