Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Abbey calls him "Captain" and he acts like he's not from around there but it seemed really unclear what his position actually was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Astroman posted:

Great show, I really liked it. Solid, entertaining and will probably be my favorite new genre show this year.

One question...who is the new boss that keeps threatening to "throw her off the case"? If tue Sheriff died, is this guy County? State? FBI? How does he come in and get to take over the Sheriff's dept?

I believe he was captain of the city police, nothing to do with the Sheriff's dept but nothing about the Sheriff's dept really made sense. Sheriffs are usually elected and don't go out investigating upset horses unless they live in Mayberry. Everywhere I've lived, the sheriff has jurisdiction over the county while each city has it's own police force. Personally, I don't worry about it because I just want to see the Headless Horseman and Ichabod.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
To be honest, it struck me as just being a clusterfuck side effect of trying to compensate for the ludicrous population. But to answer the question, he's Skymarshal Probablyabaddy of Rumpparts Division.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Abbey was also somehow a Lieutenant in the Sheriffs Department. In most cities the sheriff's department just handles court related things since there is already a city police department. Again its a weird issue where the show just doesn't seem very confident in what size Sleepy Hollow is supposed to be.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

To be honest, it struck me as just being a clusterfuck side effect of trying to compensate for the ludicrous population. But to answer the question, he's Skymarshal Probablyabaddy of Rumpparts Division.
We can all agree that 144,000 is intentional, but why they it had to be the village of Sleepy Hollow, we don't know yet.

Also, this is kind of a silly thing to sperg about, though to be fair, it probably the only legitimate thing to sperg about in the pilot.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm hoping that it will turn out to be something that the characters realise makes no sense. That the people living there just never noticed. Hence the size and the seemingly broken police structure.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gat posted:

I think his point was that the British Accent of the 1700s was actually closer to a modern American Accent than a modern British one. Probably.

What would be the British accent of the time? The BBC-English/Received Pronunciation (which Ichabod Crane is using) is something that developed in the 20th century and is even now spoken by tiny minority of the (self-declared often enough) Upper Class, and similarly there wasn't really a "standard English" before. Compared to what's probably going on back then in terms of dialects and accents would have made today's Britain with it's Geordie, Brummie, Cornish, Estuary, Pitmac etc. positively homogenous sounding.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 18, 2013

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Guys, prepare. Watching for the first time and I just downed 2 ambien. Pretty sure I'll think this is The best thing ever made

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Josh Lyman posted:

We can all agree that 144,000 is intentional, but why they it had to be the village of Sleepy Hollow, we don't know yet.

Too easy.

quote:

Revelation 7:4-8
And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

Plus, if you multiply 6x6x6= 216, 144,000/216 = 666.6666666666666_

It never loving stops... just like the Headless Horseman. :circlefap:

This show is going to be full of stuff like that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It would make a lot more sense if the county had a population of 144,000, the Sheriff was killed in the town/city of Sleepy Hollow, and the Captain was investigating the case while Abbie liaised/kept butting in outside her jurisdiction.

Why out of focus demons, time traveling professor spies who killed Death and their ghost witch wives are fine but the hierarchy of the police is the bone of contention for me I do not know.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I just don't care about that stuff man. My disbelief is wearing suspenders that would make Erkel cringe

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gyges posted:

It would make a lot more sense if the county had a population of 144,000, the Sheriff was killed in the town/city of Sleepy Hollow, and the Captain was investigating the case while Abbie liaised/kept butting in outside her jurisdiction.

Why out of focus demons, time traveling professor spies who killed Death and their ghost witch wives are fine but the hierarchy of the police is the bone of contention for me I do not know.
It's because you don't know how demons and time travel and witches and ghosts actually work, but you know how the police do.

I'm sure if there were some member of the equivalent of the secret society for the prevention of the apocalypse on the show in real life watching it, they would be going "no way it doesn't actually work like that" as well.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I'm definitely on board! I loved the pilot and appreciate the didn't spend a lot of time on Ichabod being all wacky and 'what is this!" A few comments here and there are fine but I like that he took everything in stride.

I do wish they kept the priest wizard around a bit longer, he was loving bad rear end! I'd like to have seen more of him.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 18, 2013

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

KilGrey posted:

I do with they kept the priest wizard around a bit longer, he was loving bad rear end! I'd like to have seen more of him.
Reminded me of this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfkHkdu5IEI

I think that scene is where the show went from 'this is pretty okay' to 'I think I'm in love'.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I suspect we'll see more of him in flashbacks or in the weird dimension that Crane's wife is stuck in.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I suspect there will just be more priest wizards because why the heck not

sandworms
Sep 22, 2010

Conquistador posted:

And I suspect there will be a Van Helsing type character showing up at least once, possibly a few times.

Maybe not, but why not.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Conquistador posted:

Well, when a priest wizard is beheaded it is customary for the Catholic Church to send in a replacement priest wizard. It's just common sense.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Caught up with this show thanks to reading this thread, and Im happy. Good show, enjoy it's goofiness

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hollylolly posted:

Well, when a priest wizard is beheaded it is customary for the Catholic Church to send in a replacement priest wizard. It's just common sense.
He definitely needs to be replaced. Who will perform the eucharist? :ohdear:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
This is from the Sleepy Hollow Facebook page on Monday. I'd doubt they're still doing it, though.

quote:

Sleepy Hollow shared a link.
September 16

Submit a photo of yourself and we'll send you back a GIF of the Headless Horseman giving you the axe!

FOX Broadcasting
apps.facebook.com/fox_broadcasting
Submit your photo now! And tune-in to the Premiere of Sleepy Hollow TONIGHT at 9/8c on FOX!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Grem posted:

Guys, prepare. Watching for the first time and I just downed 2 ambien. Pretty sure I'll think this is The best thing ever made

I wished I'd taken two Ambien. I'm gonna take a pass on this show. I'll be surprised if it makes it through the whole season.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm watching this show for two reasons: 1, It's goddamn amazing and 2, it is being filmed entirely in North Carolina, including many places in my local area. I get to play the "do I recognize that place" game! The local news is going apeshit over it, because they are including local landmarks in the show like Tryon Palace, a park, and a graveyard here in New Bern, and a scummy Motel down the road in Havelock.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

As long as we can keep Clancy Brown in voiceovers I will be happy. I don't give a poo poo about the population density of Sleepy Hollow, NY in real life or on television. I love that Orlando Jones' character is Captain Irving and I love that the show is not one drat thing like the Irving story and that George Washington was apparently a Warlock For Christ.

:spergin: An eighteenth century person should be loving horrified at the idea of being placed in an insane asylum, though. Before he arrives and finds it is not ankle deep in feces and knee deep in rats, of course.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

BarbarousBertha posted:

As long as we can keep Clancy Brown in voiceovers I will be happy. I don't give a poo poo about the population density of Sleepy Hollow, NY in real life or on television. I love that Orlando Jones' character is Captain Irving and I love that the show is not one drat thing like the Irving story and that George Washington was apparently a Warlock For Christ.

:spergin: An eighteenth century person should be loving horrified at the idea of being placed in an insane asylum, though. Before he arrives and finds it is not ankle deep in feces and knee deep in rats, of course.

An eighteenth century person would also not likely be okay with the idea of a black female police officer, whether or not he was an abolitionist.

If the show doesn't give a gently caress, then neither do I.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Annakie posted:

I'll be happy to make avatar sized gifs or stills from the pilot. If you have a specific request, let me know.

I'd take an avatar still of the horseman with his mask (I'm already thinking that could be an awesome Halloween costume) or a decent gif of the horseman all tooled up.

I am watching a lot of shows at the moment and I can't convey how stoked I am that I've dropped Under the Dome for this gem :D

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

No Manners No posted:

Well, I'm hooked as long as it doesn't suck the fun out of itself before the first season is up like Heroes did. How long before this song gets played in an episode?

Not soon e-damned-nough.

Seriously guys, this show loving rocked. I'm down for the next 7 seasons, let's ride.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Lofty132 posted:

I'd take an avatar still of the horseman with his mask (I'm already thinking that could be an awesome Halloween costume) or a decent gif of the horseman all tooled up.

I am watching a lot of shows at the moment and I can't convey how stoked I am that I've dropped Under the Dome for this gem :D

Is something like this what you were looking for?

I'm making some gifs so the OP will be decent tonight, so I'll keep looking if ya don't like it.

Also, Ausiello had a little spoiler yesterday on a specific character here. We'll be seeing a lot more of John Cho! This makes me very happy.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I liked the show, though parts of it didn't make sense to me. I guess I can buy the seemingly strange police ineptitude though, because it's like that way because of "evil plot." Hopefully a character will call out the fact that their police department is strange.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

imperialparadox posted:

I liked the show, though parts of it didn't make sense to me. I guess I can buy the seemingly strange police ineptitude though, because it's like that way because of "evil plot." Hopefully a character will call out the fact that their police department is strange.

At least the PD is more competent than Sunnydale's.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Annakie posted:

Is something like this what you were looking for?

I'm making some gifs so the OP will be decent tonight, so I'll keep looking if ya don't like it.

Thanks for looking! I'm thinking more when he has been unhorsed and has his hat knocked off but there may not be a good shot of that.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
There's really not a good "Look at me standing here all fierce and awesome" shot in the opening scene. I went over it three times trying to find the best shot. There's some later on after he's headless, but I think for this scene, this is as good as it's gonna get. Not great, but serviceable. Sorry! :(

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Carteret posted:

I'm watching this show for two reasons: 1, It's goddamn amazing and 2, it is being filmed entirely in North Carolina, including many places in my local area. I get to play the "do I recognize that place" game! The local news is going apeshit over it, because they are including local landmarks in the show like Tryon Palace, a park, and a graveyard here in New Bern, and a scummy Motel down the road in Havelock.

Do they get random local people to be extras??

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Crisco Kid posted:

Do they get random local people to be extras??

They did a casting call for period extras, but they didn't like my beard. :(

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I'll have to find out when/where they do the calls. It's a bit of a drive for me, but that would be awesome. :j:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

OK the OP has been completely revamped, it took me all night to do, so if you'd like please go look at it.

I don't think I'm going to do anything that extensive for any other episode, though, but there will be gifs. :)

*edit* Warning - new OP contains many, many gifs.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 20, 2013

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You put a lot of effort into that OP, though it might be worth mentioning that with the amount of goons that use Chrome, and the amount of dicks Chrome sucks when it comes to gifs that the OP might be kind of a bitch for some people to load.

Dicks = many

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Love the new OP, though for the bit with the skull, I would have gone for a gif of the eyes opening. Spooky.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Conquistador posted:

You put a lot of effort into that OP, though it might be worth mentioning that with the amount of goons that use Chrome, and the amount of dicks Chrome sucks when it comes to gifs that the OP might be kind of a bitch for some people to load.

Updated previous post for gif warning. :)

Mr. Fowl posted:

Love the new OP, though for the bit with the skull, I would have gone for a gif of the eyes opening. Spooky.

You are right, this has been fixed!

Also, this is my favorite gif. I like to call it "The Entire Show in 3 Seconds":

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
That girl is so pretty :allears:

Show is well cast as gently caress

• Locked thread