Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I love Icebreaker. I use their v-necks as day-to-day shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I love Icebreaker. I use their v-necks as day-to-day shirts.

I have 3 of their shirts, and wear them all the time. No-stink 4 evah.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Speleothing posted:

Your local store should have their first shipment by now. There are some little things that will probably be ironed out next year, but the pricing is very competitive.
That's the impressions I got as well. My local stores don't have the stuff so I was wondering.

Speleothing posted:

Outlier Depends on which city you're in. I wouldn't wear it.
Why not, out of curiosity?

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I took 50 sophomores up to Medicine Grizzly Lake today, they were all, without exception, hiking in jeans. I wanted to climb all those mountains but they looked at me like I was mad.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
O & along the way, we stopped to talk about various things, how the mountains were named, various wildlife and at one point I asked "What's another word for an invasive plant?" and one of the students (keep in mind there are lots of native american students) answers "White plants?"

:pwn:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Too skinny, I'm not hipster enough for skinny pants. Even if they are 'in'

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Smoove J posted:

O & along the way, we stopped to talk about various things, how the mountains were named, various wildlife and at one point I asked "What's another word for an invasive plant?" and one of the students (keep in mind there are lots of native american students) answers "White plants?"

Awesome.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Smoove J posted:

"White plants?"

I like that person.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Nifty posted:

Colorado goons! Can anyone recommend a good overnight backpacking route in RMNP for me, with a permit still available or walk-up permits the day of? I am going to Denver for a work week and would like to stay the weekend checking out the park.

I guess around 8 miles per day? Don't really care.. I can certainly handle longer as well. And epic majestic views are a plus, this is my first time in Colorado.

See above question! I got recommendations before, but due to the flooding, RMNP is basically completed closed through this week. Anyone else able to recommend a good overnight backpacking spot for this weekend that I can reasonably drive to from Denver?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Nifty posted:

See above question! I got recommendations before, but due to the flooding, RMNP is basically completed closed through this week. Anyone else able to recommend a good overnight backpacking spot for this weekend that I can reasonably drive to from Denver?

Might call the ranger station down south and see if pikes peak area is open.

Colorado is a flipping mess right now. Where we love there is no sewer or drinking water for 7-10 more days. Being in Florida for work is even more awesome now!

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Anyone have any recommendations for Lassen Volcanic NP? Day hikes and good overnighters? I don't live too far but have never been before. It just stinks that Lassen Peak is closed for the rest of the Summer for trail work.

Aliass
Dec 25, 2008
Bumpass hell is pretty great. I didnt get to do brokeoff peak when i was there but its a hell of a great looking peak and ive had the hike highly recommended to me by people. The cinder cone on the far side of the park is pretty darn neat as well.

BigBobio
May 1, 2009
The three lake hike by Terrace, Shadow, and Cliff Lakes is really nice. When I did it last year right around this time, I only saw 3 people on the trail the entire time. Cliff Lake has a little island in the middle you can wade out to too. The loops around Kings Creek Falls are also nice. And seconding Bumpass Hell as well, very cool there.

Lassen is an underrated park. I guess with Yosemite so close, it gets ignored by most people

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
So after a summer spent in the Catskills I've been exploring the Bennington, VT region/Eastern New York. Since I haven't wanted to do a lot of traveling I've been hitting up some of the lesser known spots in the area, local DEC lands that are extremely under utilized for the most part. I'm not sure if this is really going to be that interesting of a story, but I wanted to share.

Today I hit up Mount Tom National Forest in White Creek, NY. Go ahead look it up, I dare you, because it's in the middle of freaking nowhere. This isn't normally a problem because I like the feeling of isolation and I like not being on trails that area really crowded, but this place was in a league of its own.

The NYS DEC website has a really great GIS overlay for Google Earth that shows all of the trails in the State. However, I'm beginning to think that its extremely outdated. The maps showed a pretty straight forward loop that should have taken me to the top of the mountain (really just a hill), but when I got on the trail nothing was as clear as it should have been. First off, there wasn't any labeling on the main trail for the first 2 miles, and then when there was it was a snowmobile trail, which wasn't on the maps either. However, I knew that I was still in the right area due to the landscape and my compass, so I wasn't really worried about being "lost". I ended up crossing the entire width of the park, and had to just turn around and retrace my steps back to the car. At no place along the way did I see what should have been an obvious left hand turn up and immediate climb. There was one spot where a trail did branch off, but it was only marked by orange tape wrapped around trees, but the path was overgrown and I decided against taking my chances. Upon my return trip I checked the trail out a little and it did appear that someone had tried to mark it at least a little bit, but only 50 feet down this side trail I could no longer see back to the main trail because it was so overgrown. As it was starting to get dark and I didn't want to use my headlamp in an area I was totally unfamiliar with I, again, turned back to the main trail and headed back to my car.

Now that I'm home and looking at the maps again, I feel very confident that this park has nearly been abandoned by DEC. The main trail that I followed was barely maintained and routinely narrowed down to almost nothing. The connecting trails were closed with down trees and/or just allowed to grow in. It was quite sad to see honestly, while it may not be an incredible park, I couldn't help but feel that there were things to see and do there but that they were no longer accessible. The park would be an excellent place to do some bushwhacking I feel, maybe re-blaze some of the abandoned/forgotten trails. The parking lot is HUGE, but is being reclaimed by nature. There's even an outhouse! God help me I had to venture over and check it out. It was like something from a horror movie: it had some of the biggest, heaviest, cobwebs I've ever seen; the walls were rotting and the seat was broken. Like most of the park, it seems to have been long forgotten and left to nature. At this point the park seems to be used only by teenagers, there were condom wrappers scattered around the parking lot, and cheap beer cans dotted along the length of the trail. It makes sense, the park really is in the middle of nowhere so I can see why kids would be drawn to it.

Anyways, I'm not sure if this is interesting to anyone, but I figured I'd share an experience with a more mundane hike. I try to make a point to get to these lesser known spots- even if they aren't great.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Does anybody have an idea what app I can use for an iPhone, so that I can navigate from waypoint to waypoint?

And the app should be free.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

SpitztheGreat posted:

Mount Tom State Forest

New York only has one national forest, and it's out by the Finger Lakes.

Most trails in NY are maintained by the various trail clubs and organizations, like the NY/NJ Trail Conference. I'm sure many smaller, less glamorous parcels of state land, especially those far away from the NYC metro and away from the Hudson Valley, don't get much attention from the likes of the NYNJTC or the Adirondack Mountain Club or whatever. If Mount Tom is in fact maintained by the DEC, that's probably the problem: the state's budget, if you haven't noticed, has been strained in recent years, and small DEC parcels are far from the top budgetary priority.

Any good experiences to report in the more out of the way parks?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for Lassen Volcanic NP? Day hikes and good overnighters? I don't live too far but have never been before. It just stinks that Lassen Peak is closed for the rest of the Summer for trail work.

Besides the usual main spots like Manzanita Lake campground there is a lot of cool stuff on the east side through Chester like Warner Valley with a lot of cool day hikes from there. I bet the Campground is pretty empty right now through the end of season. Obviously Devil's Kitchen is a really fun 2.5 hr hike for lunch.

http://www.nps.gov/lavo/planyourvisit/summit-lake-stock-corral.htm

Next time I go back I want to hit up Juniper Lake (also on the East side).
http://www.nps.gov/lavo/planyourvisit/juniper-lake-campground.htm

If you are looking for something even more remote there is Butte Lake.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Time Cowboy posted:

New York only has one national forest, and it's out by the Finger Lakes.

Most trails in NY are maintained by the various trail clubs and organizations, like the NY/NJ Trail Conference. I'm sure many smaller, less glamorous parcels of state land, especially those far away from the NYC metro and away from the Hudson Valley, don't get much attention from the likes of the NYNJTC or the Adirondack Mountain Club or whatever. If Mount Tom is in fact maintained by the DEC, that's probably the problem: the state's budget, if you haven't noticed, has been strained in recent years, and small DEC parcels are far from the top budgetary priority.

Any good experiences to report in the more out of the way parks?

Yep, my bad. And I totally hear what you're saying about the maintenance situation. While Mount Tom is only an hour from Albany (the state Capital for those who aren't too familiar with the area) it isn't exactly the Hudson Valley, or the Adirondacks. Instead it's off on its own, surrounded by a whole lot of nothing. Too far from the Adirondacks to be on the radar, and too close to the Green Mountains so divert any attention from Vermont. I really had to go out of my way to find this place, and that lack of attention showed.

I'll get around to uploading some pics of the other parks I've hit up, and will give a more detailed description of each. There's definitely some gems out there that deserve some attention, even if they aren't hikes so much as nature walks.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Stayed here the other night:

Middle of goddamn knowhere, Oregon.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Kidney Stone posted:

Does anybody have an idea what app I can use for an iPhone, so that I can navigate from waypoint to waypoint?

And the app should be free.

GPS Kit is pretty great and will do waypoint navigation, among other things. It isn't free, but you get what you pay for.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It's fall! Anyone have recommendations for Icebreaker base- and mid-layers? I love their stuff (got a shirt as a gift, have friends with their stuff too), and I want more wool stuff cause I'm becoming more and more convinced that cotton has little place in a backpacking trip.

I was thinking the 260-weight Quattro for a mid-layer, and the 200-weight Oasis as a base layer.
But I really can't figure out the difference/pros/cons between the Quattro, Sierra, and Quantum mid-layers. They all seem not very different. Anyone know more about the difference?

And I guess the Oasis's advantage over the Everyday is that the former is more passable as a stand-alone shirt?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I have a Quantum long sleeve and like it a lot. I'd say the difference between it and the Quattro is that the Quantum is designed more to be an athletic piece of clothing. It has reflective bits on it, armpit vents, and supposedly the back is a little longer than the front so it doesn't ride up. The feel of the fabric might be different as well based on their descriptions

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have the 150 gram short-sleeve tops and I like them as a universal wear-around. Probably not for 4 season though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

150 and 200 will be way too hot in the sun, but below 15C or so they're a perfect base.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

PRADA SLUT posted:

Stayed here the other night:

Middle of goddamn knowhere, Oregon.

So how was sleeping on that log?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

So how was sleeping on that log?

I bet he slept like a log :downsrim:

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Awesome, thanks for the links and everyone else who chimed in! It is supposedly snowing in Chester and some parts of the park with lows in the upper 20s. I think it is supposed to be a warmer October though so hopefully I will get up there then.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I hope no one minds a picture dump! I got back from a five day hike in Urho Kekkonen National park in the Finnish Lapland. It's the longest and most remote hike I've done and it was lovely. We started the hike by the Russian border and took a 70km route back towards Saariselkä village (and its spa hotel we had reserved for when we get back) along river valleys, forests and fells. Great views, awesome weather and a well deserved beating for my lazy-rear end body! :)

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

j.peeba posted:

I hope no one minds a picture dump! I got back from a five day hike in Urho Kekkonen National park in the Finnish Lapland. It's the longest and most remote hike I've done and it was lovely. We started the hike by the Russian border and took a 70km route back towards Saariselkä village (and its spa hotel we had reserved for when we get back) along river valleys, forests and fells. Great views, awesome weather and a well deserved beating for my lazy-rear end body! :)

Oh my god this is lovely. I'll have to add that to my big ol' hiking bucket list.

And picture dumps are always welcome, I say. They're like little vicarious trips I can enjoy even when I'm too broke to go anywhere myself.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm in Kentucky and trying to get back into packpacking. I just got back from camping @ natural bridge, and it was fun, but for my wife's sanity I want to move west to get out of bear country. I'm thinking Mammoth Cave National Park is probably our best bet for proximity to home. What's a good resource to find trail reviews and local info? Also I want to get trail maps for my Garmin, where can I find them? I looked on Garmin's site but they don't seem to have that area. I already have topo maps but I want the trail maps as well (I'll have a paper map and compass in addition).

Also, is there a central information repository for burn bans? Something like a shaded map of the US?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

There's nothing wrong with bear country, especially in your neck of the woods. They're black bears.

Being in an area that has bears means you're in a special place. That land is healthy, protected, and wild enough to support a top predator. You should seek those places out, not avoid them.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Just think of black bears as being really fat raccoons.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Just did Hadley Mountain in the Adirondacks. The description that I read had it labeled as a "moderate" hike- and that's bullshit; there's nothing "moderate" about it. While it's a rather short hike (five miles round trip) it is one of the most intense climbs I've done. There are great views at the top, and a fire tower which gives you a spectacular 360 view of the Adirondacks.

My main complaint is entirely about the description of the hike. I find it borderline irresponsible that DEC would label an elevation gain of 1600 feet in a mile and a half as moderate. The hike is advertised as great for everyone, young, old, experienced, amateur, animals, etc. This encourages people to attempt the mountain whom either have no business on the mountain, and/or those who are woefully unprepared. On my decent, about ten minutes from the bottom, I ran into a middle aged woman with her golden retriever. She was clearly struggling and said that she had been hiking for about 30 minutes and asked if she was close to half way. I couldn't hide my surprise and concern when I had to inform her that she easily had another hour in front of her. She looked very dejected and said that her husband had gone on ahead (I had just passed him about five minutes before coming across her- what a jackass, he had equipment and left his wife behind) and that she was "totally unprepared" for the hike. She had no water and was wearing shoes more suited for use at the local yacht club, not for hiking a mountain. I gave her one of my bottles of water and tried to prepare her for what was ahead.

Then at the very bottom of the hill I ran into a couple, probably in their mid 30s, who were just starting their hike....at 4pm. I know it's not the Alps but that's still pretty stupid to be just starting the hike so late. but most importantly they asked me about the hike and asked "So this should only take half an hour or so right?" I was floored and told them that it was closer to an hour and a half, and was very intense. They were taken by surprise and said that they expected it to be pretty easy. I then asked if they had any water, to which they replied that they only had half a bottle. But not to worry, they had TWO, TWO, bottles of wine in nice carrying cases. That was their only gear. I didn't want to say anything rude, so I just wished them luck and to be careful.

The thing was that these are only two stories from yesterday. I saw easily a dozen other people that were over their heads. I'm happy to see people getting out and being active and using our park system, but please, be more careful.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

There's nothing wrong with bear country, especially in your neck of the woods. They're black bears.

Being in an area that has bears means you're in a special place. That land is healthy, protected, and wild enough to support a top predator. You should seek those places out, not avoid them.

Nicely said.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

SpitztheGreat posted:

Just did Hadley Mountain in the Adirondacks. The description that I read had it labeled as a "moderate" hike- and that's bullshit; there's nothing "moderate" about it. While it's a rather short hike (five miles round trip) it is one of the most intense climbs I've done. There are great views at the top, and a fire tower which gives you a spectacular 360 view of the Adirondacks.

My main complaint is entirely about the description of the hike. I find it borderline irresponsible that DEC would label an elevation gain of 1600 feet in a mile and a half as moderate. The hike is advertised as great for everyone, young, old, experienced, amateur, animals, etc. This encourages people to attempt the mountain whom either have no business on the mountain, and/or those who are woefully unprepared. ....

Weird, usually it's the opposite - books and signs call a fairly tame hike "EXTREMELY STRENUOUS" simply because it involves a little rock hopping, in a place where most of the other trails are very nice crushed limestone.

I guess I see now why they err on the side of exaggerating how hard it is rather than how easy.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

SpitztheGreat posted:

My main complaint is entirely about the description of the hike. I find it borderline irresponsible that DEC would label an elevation gain of 1600 feet in a mile and a half as moderate. The hike is advertised as great for everyone, young, old, experienced, amateur, animals, etc. This encourages people to attempt the mountain whom either have no business on the mountain, and/or those who are woefully unprepared. On my decent, about ten minutes from the bottom, I ran into a middle aged woman with her golden retriever. She was clearly struggling and said that she had been hiking for about 30 minutes and asked if she was close to half way. I couldn't hide my surprise and concern when I had to inform her that she easily had another hour in front of her. She looked very dejected and said that her husband had gone on ahead (I had just passed him about five minutes before coming across her- what a jackass, he had equipment and left his wife behind) and that she was "totally unprepared" for the hike. She had no water and was wearing shoes more suited for use at the local yacht club, not for hiking a mountain. I gave her one of my bottles of water and tried to prepare her for what was ahead.

Then at the very bottom of the hill I ran into a couple, probably in their mid 30s, who were just starting their hike....at 4pm. I know it's not the Alps but that's still pretty stupid to be just starting the hike so late. but most importantly they asked me about the hike and asked "So this should only take half an hour or so right?" I was floored and told them that it was closer to an hour and a half, and was very intense. They were taken by surprise and said that they expected it to be pretty easy. I then asked if they had any water, to which they replied that they only had half a bottle. But not to worry, they had TWO, TWO, bottles of wine in nice carrying cases. That was their only gear. I didn't want to say anything rude, so I just wished them luck and to be careful.

The thing was that these are only two stories from yesterday. I saw easily a dozen other people that were over their heads. I'm happy to see people getting out and being active and using our park system, but please, be more careful.

Welcome to my world. Stuff like this is part of why my park's mountain has possibly the highest number of emergency responses of any mountain in the country.

Edit: Different mountain, same problem.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 30, 2013

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

Welcome to my world. Stuff like this is part of why my park's mountain has possibly the highest number of emergency responses of any mountain in the country.

You think that's great, come out to Colorado and set yourself up at a 14er trailhead. It's pretty amusing. Although the best one I ever heard came from my mentor, who came across a very well made up lady with nothing more than a fanny pack, and a much older, overweight, and very red-faced gentleman on the side of Mt. Sneffels. It turns out she was a stripper, he was her patron, and she decided she wanted to come out to Colorado (from Oklahoma City) to climb a mountain.

The fanny pack? Filled with makeup.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Save me jeebus posted:

You think that's great, come out to Colorado and set yourself up at a 14er trailhead. It's pretty amusing. Although the best one I ever heard came from my mentor, who came across a very well made up lady with nothing more than a fanny pack, and a much older, overweight, and very red-faced gentleman on the side of Mt. Sneffels. It turns out she was a stripper, he was her patron, and she decided she wanted to come out to Colorado (from Oklahoma City) to climb a mountain.

The fanny pack? Filled with makeup.
holy poo poo

i mean of all the places to end up

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

alnilam posted:

I guess I see now why they err on the side of exaggerating how hard it is rather than how easy.
Yeah I've noticed this as well, Easy tends to mean Wheelchair/Stroller accessible around here, while Moderate can be anything from a paved 1.2 mile loop with a couple hundred feet of elevation, or a 10-15 mile trek along a cliffside path with multiple washouts, which requires a full retracing of your route to get back out.

My personal pet peeve is the lack of information about pet-friendly trails, as it's pretty crappy to show up at a trail you've been planning to hit for a week or two, and then spend half a day reaching, only to see a No Dogs Allowed sign and have to go find some other place to hit. :(

Just got a new waterproof jacket and replaced my boots, hoping to get some rain pants this next month and see about hitting some super-wet coastal trails this Fall.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces

SpitztheGreat posted:

My main complaint is entirely about the description of the hike. I find it borderline irresponsible that DEC would label an elevation gain of 1600 feet in a mile and a half as moderate. The hike is advertised as great for everyone, young, old, experienced, amateur, animals, etc. ..........[SNIP]......................

It's a three or four mile round trip / 1600 foot ascent hike of a mountain that has a cabin up top for the "summit steward", not an ascent of Cerro Torre. Kick back, enjoy your hike and don't get so upset with the folks that HAVE NO BUSINESS ON SUCH A SERIOUS CLIMB.

PS - No matter how steep it gets (unless you actually start scrambling with exposure / technical rock climbing) it's a maintained trail that's 2 miles long. It's moderate (possibly). Harden up son.