Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I don't think so, I had a rooted sensation and wifi calling still worked while it was stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Signed up with AIO Wireless this morning, will probably receive the SIM card and instructions on Monday. They do free 2 day shipping if you order before 5PM on Mon-Fri. If you order after 5PM on Friday, or on Saturday or Sunday, you have to wait until the next business day for it to be overnighted for free. Either way, I'd have to wait until next week to use the service.

Apparently, some on HowardForums are having trouble with iPhones on prepaid (this including AIO). They've had to do SIM card swapping and other things just to get their iPhone to work. For example, Facetime works fine on AIO but on GoPhone, it doesn't work and will require you to call AT&T to set it up. But, since it's prepaid, AT&T won't set anything up.

Basically, it's starting to look like, with the coming of iOS 7, iPhones on GSM Prepaid doesn't really work as it would on GSM postpaid or even CDMA prepaid. Not sure why, exactly.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I am going to switch service soon, and I'm still in the air about t-mo vs AT&T. In the meanwhile, I want to pick up an iPhone. Am I right that anything 5 and above will work on both frequencies, or is it still limited on t-mobile? Have t-mobile users had any other problems with prepaid?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can do one or the other.

You sure about that? I thought that for any text to appear to be from your GV number, they HAD to be sent from the Voice app.

Otherwise, I've been using that crummy app for over a year instead of a 3rd party one.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
In Chicago. On 4G with net10. No new sim needed ... Next stop omaha.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TLG James posted:

In Chicago. On 4G with net10. No new sim needed ... Next stop omaha.

I'll be heading to Chicago in November, how is the LTE there? Let me know how LTE with Net10 is here in Omaha too. I'll be writing up a trip report on AIO soon when I get it. It may be different, not sure.

DrBouvenstein posted:

You sure about that? I thought that for any text to appear to be from your GV number, they HAD to be sent from the Voice app.

Otherwise, I've been using that crummy app for over a year instead of a 3rd party one.

On voice.google.com, I enabled the ability to recieve text messages on the phone I'm forwarding to. I don't know if this enables the setting to be able to message with another messaging app, but it's a setting I have checked.

In the app, under Sync and notifications in the Settings menu, I have it set that "Receive text messages" is set to "via the messaging app". The messages show up on both Voice and the AOSP Messaging app, allowing you to respond in both. The number that comes up is another number that Google uses to send your text to and from the person's real number.

For example, your friend texts your GV number and it shows up on your Messaging app as 123-456-7890 instead of their usual number of 555-555-5555. If you texted that 123 number, it'd still send to the 555 number. Sometimes, MMS does work but most people I know don't bother with it anymore so I just have them e-mail me stuff instead. If you add the secondary number to your contacts under that person's contact card, it'll show up as them, just with a GV-given number.

Honestly, during the whole time I was with ST, I never really knew my actual number because of Google Voice's integration like this. It's kind of nice. :v:

Also, any replies you make on the default messaging app to the GV-given number still shows up on the Voice app and the website.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Just bought a T-Mobile 5S from the Apple Store, is the easiest way to set up that $30 a month plan by going to the store? I don't even see the option of bringing your own 5S on the website.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Biodome posted:

Just bought a T-Mobile 5S from the Apple Store, is the easiest way to set up that $30 a month plan by going to the store? I don't even see the option of bringing your own 5S on the website.

If you're talking about the 5GB/100min $30 plan, that's online-only and store personnel either haven't heard of it or can't help in setting it up. You should be fine if you order a SIM and do a bring-your-own device setup.

The 5 and the 5s use the same SIM size (nano), and the GSM nature of the service allows you to swap your SIM between any phones capable of talking to the network. Since you didn't involve T-Mobile in the purchase of the phone, activation should work like any unlocked phone - as long as you're inserting the SIM into a phone rather than a laptop or something, it should be fine. A bunch of people have done the same for the Nexus line from Google.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 20, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Order two sims from the tmobile website. They are typically $1/piece. Activate one with the $3/day unlimited plan. Try it out and see how your signal is and such. If it works fine then activate the other one under the $30 plan and port your number. I had the $30 plan on my AT&T iPhone 5 for a bit but left because signal in my area was shite.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'll be heading to Chicago in November, how is the LTE there? Let me know how LTE with Net10 is here in Omaha too. I'll be writing up a trip report on AIO soon when I get it. It may be different, not sur

In the airport I'm getting about 700 kB sec up and down. That's with only one bar though.

I was just surprised it worked. I was able to renew in another country and it worked when I landed. I did have to connect to my vpn to pay for it though. Net10s website is very unfriendly for mobile. I'll be back here in 3 weeks for a better test of Chicago and the suburbs.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Speaking of T-Mobile and iPhones, here's an interesting situation. Right now I have a Galaxy Nexus with the $30 T-Mo plan. The GNex uses a full-sized SIM, the iPhone 5s uses a nano-SIM. If I ask for a nano-SIM, presumably I can get one without switching plans and just pop it in a new 5s?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Nihiliste posted:

Speaking of T-Mobile and iPhones, here's an interesting situation. Right now I have a Galaxy Nexus with the $30 T-Mo plan. The GNex uses a full-sized SIM, the iPhone 5s uses a nano-SIM. If I ask for a nano-SIM, presumably I can get one without switching plans and just pop it in a new 5s?

Pretty sure you just pop in the new sim and go online and activate under your current number. Nothing should change.

(never done this personally, so someone smarter than me please validate)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nihiliste posted:

Don't believe you can do this. Go online and buy a sim cutter for $10.

Something like this

Techno Earth® Nano Sim Cutter for Iphone 5 Ipad Mini Simcard Cutter Cut Any GSM Sim Into Nano or Any Micro Sim Into Nano Sim + Car Charger for USB Devices
http://amzn.com/B009WTXB5G

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

TraderStav posted:

Don't believe you can do this. Go online and buy a sim cutter for $10.
I've had them switch my account to a new sim before, so I know they can do it. I don't know if you can do it through the online activation though. If you do call, google around for their Prepaid Department number. You'll get much faster results that way.

Edit: There's a support page for this. It says you can do it online.
http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4677

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 20, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TheLastManStanding posted:

I've had them switch my account to a new sim before, so I know they can do it. I don't know if you can do it through the online activation though. If you do call, google around for their Prepaid Department number. You'll get much faster results that way.

Edit: There's a support page for this. It says you can do it online.
http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4677

But not to the magic $30 plan. Or at least it's an uphill battle.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I did it with the $30 plan. Again, I didn't do it online, but I know it can be done.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Went from mini-SIM (standard sized) to a micro when the N4 came out.
Go to T-Mo store, ask for a new SIM. Some will charge you, some won't. If they try to charge you, point out that they are supposed to be free.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Went from mini-SIM (standard sized) to a micro when the N4 came out.
Go to T-Mo store, ask for a new SIM. Some will charge you, some won't. If they try to charge you, point out that they are supposed to be free.

Go to a corporate store. Only third party retailers charge a shady fee for replacement SIMs.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
I'm sure the quality varies from brand to brand, but there are SIM-size adapters out there. I've been told using a nano-SIM in a micro/mini adapter works just as well as having the original size.

I plan to switch to a nano-SIM in the next month and use a mini-adapter in my Galaxy Nexus until I switch to an iPhone or future Nexus. No point in having any impediments when the time comes. While nano-size is comically small, it's here to stay. And given that the important half of the SIM can't shrink any further, it's a good choice for a base size looking forward.

UncleNaughtyFingers
Apr 29, 2008
If only you wanted the sim a few days ago, tmobile was selling them for $1 each with free shipping.
Semi related, I'm looking to get on a new cheap plan and get a new phone, I've settled on a S4 and in an attempt to save some cash I figured I'd either get tmobile or metro.
Is it possible to use a tmobile or att phone with a clear esn on Metro?
What's the census on Metro? It's rarely mentioned in the thread, makes me a bit nervous.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Omaha Net10 LTE results.

I was hitting 4000 kB/sec down 700/up in Omaha near the airport.

At my apartment in Bellevue, I'm hitting 600/400. Considering I couldn't even check my email with my old Sprint in my apartment, this is very nice.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
A friend of mine switched from tmobile to metro and he says its fine. When its in the range of metros lte it connects to that, and when out of metros range it connects to tmobiles hspa or whatever they have where you are. I'm 99% sure you have to buy one of their phones though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

If I send from messaging they show from the throwaway number.
If I send from GVoice they show from the GVoice number.
:(

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Signed up with AIO Wireless this morning, will probably receive the SIM card and instructions on Monday. They do free 2 day shipping if you order before 5PM on Mon-Fri. If you order after 5PM on Friday, or on Saturday or Sunday, you have to wait until the next business day for it to be overnighted for free. Either way, I'd have to wait until next week to use the service.

Apparently, some on HowardForums are having trouble with iPhones on prepaid (this including AIO). They've had to do SIM card swapping and other things just to get their iPhone to work. For example, Facetime works fine on AIO but on GoPhone, it doesn't work and will require you to call AT&T to set it up. But, since it's prepaid, AT&T won't set anything up.

Basically, it's starting to look like, with the coming of iOS 7, iPhones on GSM Prepaid doesn't really work as it would on GSM postpaid or even CDMA prepaid. Not sure why, exactly.

Did you get an email when you ordered? I haven't gotten anything but my card was certainly charged.

E: spam filtered. I found it!

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 21, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ilkhan posted:

If I send from messaging they show from the throwaway number.
If I send from GVoice they show from the GVoice number.
:(

You mean if you message yourself? I've had mine still show up from the GV Number either way if I use Messaging and send to the throw away number they give me.

The Entire Universe posted:

Did you get an email when you ordered? I haven't gotten anything but my card was certainly charged.

E: spam filtered. I found it!

Yeah, it shows up in the Spam filter in Gmail. It'll be here on Tuesday, but I wish they'd just send it on Monday. Oh well.

By the way, if anyone's still wanting that free month, you have until next Wednesday or so to order a card. If you do it on Thursday or Friday, you won't get the SIM card in time to qualify for the free month as you need to have signed up and activated BEFORE the 29th and it takes two days to get there.

Unless you sign up at an AIO store but then activations are $25 where as it's free online.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

TheLastManStanding posted:

I did it with the $30 plan. Again, I didn't do it online, but I know it can be done.

They have a site for it. Quite predictably its https://www.t-mobile.com/sim.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mr. Belding posted:

They have a site for it. Quite predictably its https://www.t-mobile.com/sim.
Never had that page do anything but send me back to the homepage, with 2 different monthly4G accounts.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Last night, I went to best buy and got the galaxy s3 on virgin mobile. Only until the end of the purchase did I realize that my city doesn't have the best 4g coverage. Which was a super letdown. I got a 4g phone that will only part of the time get 4g. I really love the phone. The reason I got it at best buy was because I got my laptop there for the 18 mo no interest deal, and also put the phone on that as well. Also, the return policy is good.
Questions:
Will virgin mobile be getting more 4g coverage in eastern WA anytime soon?

Does anyone know if I can get the galaxy s3 at best buy for T-Mobile? I only want to do the prepaid option, but I would want to buy the phone there(so I can put it on the best buy card) and then go to walmart and get set up with the 30/mo 5 gigs data+ 100 min?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

Does anyone know if I can get the galaxy s3 at best buy for T-Mobile?

I don't see why not, but good lord, they are charging $700 for the S3???
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Galaxy+S+III+4G+LTE+with+16GB+Mobile+Phone+-+White+(T-Mobile)/8784117.p?id=1218892442688&skuId=8784117&contract_desc=

It's $452 directly from TMobile.
http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-lte.html

And $50 less on Amazon.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Well, for that price, I might as well get the s4.

If I do the s4 or whatever phone from the T-Mobile website, can I still take it to walmart for the $30 plan?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
You get the $30 plan on tmobiles website.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ugh, I think I did something to piss StraightTalk off. All day today I have been either unable to download, or it does so at a loving crawl.

Guess I'll pop into Wal Mart tomorrow and get a new SIM.

And I just moved into a new place, and don't have a wireless router (was my roommate's at my last place, so my phone is...only a phone! :gonk: :negative:

Edit: Just so I do this correctly...I get a new SIM, activate it, and pop it in and I'm good to go? Do I have to completely cancel my current account that's on auto-debit and make a new one, or do I just change the SIM/number in my account details?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 23, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

A day before I switch from Straight Talk (AT&T) to AIO Wireless, I find that Straight Talk has an app on the Play Store to pay bills and check your next end date. I think it's been there since July or maybe earlier.

And, that's pretty much it. There's no data checking, no nothing. The settings button even mentions it's coming soon.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'll probably switch to AIO sometime early next year, but I did almost shed a single tear down my face, with the fact that I could pick up 4g on Net10 in my apartment. With Sprint, I couldn't even check my email.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TLG James posted:

I'll probably switch to AIO sometime early next year, but I did almost shed a single tear down my face, with the fact that I could pick up 4g on Net10 in my apartment. With Sprint, I couldn't even check my email.
Why don't you just turn on wifi?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Endless Mike posted:

Why don't you just turn on wifi?

That's not really the point. Your phone shouldn't be an expensive flashlight if you go inside.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What really bothers me about AIO is that all YouTube videos are either:

A. A video from a confused person about some AIO event that AT&T hosted in their city.
B. From AIO themselves about how awesome AIO is.
C. From some guy who is testing AIO's network a bunch with Speedtest's app.
D. From AIOUsers forum that doesn't do much but have videos about the most basic thing.

I honestly think that both C and D have ties to AIO and I find it weird that there are barely any videos from "normal" people. People who are just happy with the service and wanted to let others know.

Straight Talk and Net10 have tons of it. Even people upset with the service too (so much so that ST has representatives combing YouTube to help people).

Maybe it's not caught on yet?

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I've been using Aio for ~2 weeks with a Nexus 4. I live in an area that has good AT&T coverage, compared to Sprint and Verizon which are both fairly terrible here. TMobile is more or less nonexistent.

The service has been fine and suits my needs pretty well. I can reliably stream from Google Play Music and YouTube videos. Predictably, latency is lackluster (~200-300ms) but that doesn't really bother me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Venkmanologist posted:

I've been using Aio for ~2 weeks with a Nexus 4. I live in an area that has good AT&T coverage, compared to Sprint and Verizon which are both fairly terrible here. TMobile is more or less nonexistent.

The service has been fine and suits my needs pretty well. I can reliably stream from Google Play Music and YouTube videos. Predictably, latency is lackluster (~200-300ms) but that doesn't really bother me.

200-300ms is godlike omniscience compared to Sprint and nigh-godlike omniscience compared to Net10 due to the 'WELP TRY LATER' type of QoS hoodoo they pull. Try using your phone around rush hour and you get what amounts to Sprint service. Wait, wait, wait, wait, error message saying your have a network problem.

They hosed Pandora so hard with that poo poo it kept loving crashing the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Venkmanologist posted:

Thank you. :v:

The Entire Universe posted:

200-300ms is godlike omniscience compared to Sprint and nigh-godlike omniscience compared to Net10 due to the 'WELP TRY LATER' type of QoS hoodoo they pull. Try using your phone around rush hour and you get what amounts to Sprint service. Wait, wait, wait, wait, error message saying your have a network problem.

They hosed Pandora so hard with that poo poo it kept loving crashing the app.

Try using your phone anywhere on 73rd near the Target strip mall and it just doesn't get a connection. I swear there's a dead spot there that was NOT there before. I kind of blame ST because there's a lot of dead spots and no data spots now. Westroads (inside and out) is the worst.

We'll see how Net10/ST compares today whenever UPS gets here!

I think I'll be the first person in Omaha on AIO with a Nexus 4...or the first person in Omaha on AIO period.

I'm pretty sure that you and I are the only people in the whole state with the Nexus 4 though. Omaha will never catch up. :v:

• Locked thread