Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Yeah, I can't wait to be able to sell all my duplicate mechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Someone upthread was kind enough to inform me that you can reorder the mechs in the Garage by dragging their icons around. Doesn't get rid of the garbage duplicates but at least you can shove them into a dusty corner.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

The patch notes for the hotfix coming tomorrow have been released! For the most part, it contains minor bug fixes, changes to the party system, and balance changes to some internals.

Zamboni Chaos posted:

Special Notices
Some players have experienced issues with account migration, such as not having Mech Ranks correctly unlocked, missing elite skins, missing Mech Ranks or Pilot Levels, etc. If you've encountered these problems or issues like them, please submit a ticket to Customer Support, and they will assist you in restoring your account to its correct state.

Currently, players can accept a party invite after the party has already joined a match, which can lead to various problems. If you do join a party that has already deployed to a server, we recommend you leave the party to avoid complications.

We have implemented a fix for the "Sync Failure" issue when attempting to join a match. This was resulting in players missing mech parts or items. If you experienced this problem and are still missing parts of your inventory, please contact Customer Support.
General Improvements

We are working on a more comprehensive fix to address unbalanced matches caused by Matchmaking logic and large Parties. In the meantime, we’ve implemented some quick fixes to help with unbalanced matches while we work on the larger fix.

Matchmaking
  • Adjusted matchmaking logic for parties to help prevent unbalanced matches.
  • Added mid-match auto-balance to help with unbalanced teams.
  • When matchmaking, player skill is now weighted higher than Pilot Level.
  • Players can now join games within 8 levels of their Pilot Level. Increased from a range of 5 levels.
  • Players will no longer be placed into empty servers. They will instead remain in the matchmaking queue until an active server becomes available.
  • Adjusted advertising for better filtering. This will help match players into more appropriate servers.
  • Quick Match queue time out has been increased from 30 seconds to 5 minutes to give players more time to be placed into a match.
Parties
  • Reduced max party size for team based game modes to help with unbalanced matches caused by parties.
  • Team Deathmatch: Max party size reduced from 12 to 3.
  • Missile Assault: Max party size reduced from 12 to 3
  • Siege: Max party size reduced from 12 to 3
Gameplay
User Interface/HUD
  • Made slight visual tweaks to improve center reticle contrast against brighter backgrounds.
  • Added scroll bar to party window to support parties of 12.
  • Updated game mode descriptions to include max party size for each mode.
Maps
  • Fixed collision caused by some of the tree roots on the Last Eco map.

Internals

After listening to and discussing the community response regarding internals, we've made a few slight adjustments to address some concerns. These adjustments are simply the first step in our evaluation on the intended functionality for certain internals, and more changes are planned for the future.

Armor Fusor
  • Decreased Armor generation from getting a kill from 25% to 20%.
  • Decreased Armor generation from getting an assist from 15% to 13%.
  • Increased duration of regeneration effect from 10 to 20 seconds.

Advanced Armor Fusor
  • Decreased Armor generation from getting a Kill from 15% to 13%.
  • Decreased Armor generation from getting an Assist from 7.5% to 6.5%.
  • Increased duration of regeneration effect from 10 to 20 seconds.

Power Surger
  • No longer grants bonus speed to boosting.
Basic Power Surger
Evasive Device
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed a bug where players would get a connection error after the deploy countdown completed.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from changing their resolution or video settings.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Sweet Jesus, why do pubbies crowd around that chokepoint in uptown leading to the enter open space from the outside like moths to a candle?

:negative:

In every single loving Uptown map, my team is always on the outside of that chokepoint, looking in and dying. Any pair of goons who understands how to wait out a random player's patience want to group with me? We could kill so many of these idiots like that.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The pubbies are really terrible in this game. Almost hopelessly, irredeemably terrible. I've been yelling at people to uninstall the game for a couple of days now :v: How do you only score 20 xp in A 30 minute siege match :psyduck:

Ended up with a great siege match last night. We were brought down to like 400 points right at the start. I started yelling my usual positive reinforcement, letting my team know exactly what I thought of their skill, urging them to free up some precious HD space by uninstalling the game. It must've worked because we ended up winning. Really good fights and all. The only problem with this is it has encouraged me to be even more of a loud mouth raging dick.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

How's the SA-Hawkins rifle on the brawler mech? Kind of iffy about spending in-game currency on something that may or may not be a peashooter.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ulvirich posted:

How's the SA-Hawkins rifle on the brawler mech? Kind of iffy about spending in-game currency on something that may or may not be a peashooter.

If it's the semi auto click to fire rifle, it does good base damage and the first few shots are accurate. You have to stop firing for a bit after that to let the accuracy settle.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Oh, look, Uptown again. Now where's my team at... Oh right, the usual place. :eng99:

This really wouldn't be so bad if I could cajole one or two of the chucklefucks to come with so we could flank the enemy, or, better yet, set up a chokepoint of our own at the T-intersection at the ground flo-CHARGE INTO THE FRAY. I can't leave the group because they're all staying at that point, and I can't attack the enemy with just my lonesome, so welp.

I did manage to snag the vulcan for the berserker and that's a real rear end-kicker, and frankly, I wish I hadn't of bought the other weapon for that mech because I'm not seeing the point where I'd switch to the SMG or AR again now that I have that gun. Honestly, it's a bit ridiculous and I feel bad for the other team at times.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Parties

*Reduced max party size for team based game modes to help with unbalanced matches caused by parties.
*Team Deathmatch: Max party size reduced from 12 to 3.
*Missile Assault: Max party size reduced from 12 to 3
*Siege: Max party size reduced from 12 to 3

You could party up to 12 before? I thought 6 was the max. Anyway, now it's 3.

There are more than enough active goons in this thread that we could organize a fight club, get 4 groups of 3 and take over an empty server for goon on goon action. Do not interpret this post as me volunteering to organize this, I just think it would be cool.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Ulvirich posted:

Think a slower-firing assault rifle that does better damage and is far more accurate. It's the Sharpshooter's default primary.

Unrelatedly, I just earned all the comeback ribbons in a siege match by helping some pubbies come back from a 500-3000 match. :patriot:

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Chard posted:

You could party up to 12 before? I thought 6 was the max. Anyway, now it's 3.

There are more than enough active goons in this thread that we could organize a fight club, get 4 groups of 3 and take over an empty server for goon on goon action. Do not interpret this post as me volunteering to organize this, I just think it would be cool.

It's funny you should mention...

I actually run a Fight Club most weeks. We take over a server, I organize 1v1s and other such things over a teamspeak, and I stream the fights. We do other types of things depending on the map, like 2v2s, a "zombie" game, and we recently introduced an Alien vs Predator thing for the Last Eco map, where we have Aliens (Scouts and a Raider) fighting against Predators (Infiltrators) with special rules and stuff. It's a lot of fun, and fairly popular. We wouldn't even need to get 4 groups of 3 to do it, since it's run on deathmatch servers we could just set up a full 12 person party.

If you want to see what this winds up looking like, here's a recording of one of the previous ones we've done. (Link)

I normally run these for the community at large, though if we got enough people interested I'd be fine doing a goon-only one. I hadn't been planning on running one of these this week, either, because getting the server prepared in the new system is something we're still figuring out how to do most conveniently, but I can make something work if the interest is there.

Also, re: SA Hawkins: On the Brawler it kinda goes against the short range, high damage theme, but it can be made to work if you are able to drop the compulsion to get in close to your opponents. It can work very well as an area denial weapon if you use it from a good overwatch position in turret mode. It's definitely really different on the Brawler, and will take some getting used to, though, as it's not the most effective dueling weapon, generally.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 19, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Ulvirich posted:

Oh, look, Uptown again. Now where's my team at... Oh right, the usual place. :eng99:

This really wouldn't be so bad if I could cajole one or two of the chucklefucks to come with so we could flank the enemy, or, better yet, set up a chokepoint of our own at the T-intersection at the ground flo-CHARGE INTO THE FRAY. I can't leave the group because they're all staying at that point, and I can't attack the enemy with just my lonesome, so welp.

I did manage to snag the vulcan for the berserker and that's a real rear end-kicker, and frankly, I wish I hadn't of bought the other weapon for that mech because I'm not seeing the point where I'd switch to the SMG or AR again now that I have that gun. Honestly, it's a bit ridiculous and I feel bad for the other team at times.

Eh I much prefer the AR on the berserker. Vulcan is nice when it hits but I can never tell what makes that gun decide to hit or miss. I would be like right next to a mech emptying in his back and get no hit markers with it and sometimes shave off half the health of a mech with the vulcan from halfway across the map. That gun has terrible feedback.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

keyframe posted:

Eh I much prefer the AR on the berserker. Vulcan is nice when it hits but I can never tell what makes that gun decide to hit or miss. I would be like right next to a mech emptying in his back and get no hit markers with it and sometimes shave off half the health of a mech with the vulcan from halfway across the map. That gun has terrible feedback.

Vulcan has poo poo accuracy, it sprays bullets in a giant 45degree cone or something. Really not worth firing it past miniflak range. I also prefer the AR over the SMG and even sometimes over the Vulcan. It gives you a solid mid-short range gun, just watch your firing habits because it gets inaccurate quite quickly, and generates a fair bit of heat.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 19, 2013

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I played for my 2nd night, and left the apparently safe world of TVs and Bulldozers where I was pretty good to a "what the hell is *that* oh poo poo I'm dead" world that was scary and where I was not very good. Still, even getting stomped on in all my games the other day, this game rocks!!

Is the level curve on equipment such that a level 9 guy has mech / weapons that pretty much guarantee he's going to win against a level 3 guy? Obviously those who have been playing longer than me know the maps, know how to handle their mech better, are more comfortable with dodging and so on, so they will generally have an edge on me even with the exact same equipment, but I was just curious if this was more of a rock, paper, scissors situation where different stuff just behaves "different" versus higher level stuff == better than. The main reason I ask is that all the goons I added that were online when I played last were all levels 9 - 13, and I didn't know if there was any point to me joining "upper level" games.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lumpy posted:

Is the level curve on equipment such that a level 9 guy has mech / weapons that pretty much guarantee he's going to win against a level 3 guy?

Nope. The most difference there'll be is maybe a couple of tuning points between them. The higher-level player might be able to soak up an extra bullet or two, but skill still wins out almost every time.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Nope. The most difference there'll be is maybe a couple of tuning points between them. The higher-level player might be able to soak up an extra bullet or two, but skill still wins out almost every time.

Unfortunately, too many players discount the skill difference in favor of deciding the level difference is why they lost. Easier on the ego I suppose..

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Dominic White posted:

The other "big" difference is internals and items, but those are still pretty minor, unless you're really good.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Lumpy posted:

So I played for my 2nd night, and left the apparently safe world of TVs and Bulldozers where I was pretty good to a "what the hell is *that* oh poo poo I'm dead" world that was scary and where I was not very good. Still, even getting stomped on in all my games the other day, this game rocks!!

Is the level curve on equipment such that a level 9 guy has mech / weapons that pretty much guarantee he's going to win against a level 3 guy? Obviously those who have been playing longer than me know the maps, know how to handle their mech better, are more comfortable with dodging and so on, so they will generally have an edge on me even with the exact same equipment, but I was just curious if this was more of a rock, paper, scissors situation where different stuff just behaves "different" versus higher level stuff == better than. The main reason I ask is that all the goons I added that were online when I played last were all levels 9 - 13, and I didn't know if there was any point to me joining "upper level" games.

I just started playing the brawler after the patch, and I had only played the brawler a couple times during a free week months ago when that was still a thing, so he has no ranks. I'm level 21 now but I was regularly walking all over level 30s. I imagine if I stripped off the internals, items and tuning from one of my mechs I could still beat the average pubbie. Skill is definitely the deciding factor in this game.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Does the Rocketeer suck? I unlocked it but I hate the primary weapon (the firing rate is so low it never feels like I'm hitting anything) and I can't figure out how to make the secondary rockets lock onto things. I like the starter mech better.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Luigi Thirty posted:

Does the Rocketeer suck? I unlocked it but I hate the primary weapon (the firing rate is so low it never feels like I'm hitting anything) and I can't figure out how to make the secondary rockets lock onto things. I like the starter mech better.

I figured this out the other night much to my amazement... if you are in "normal" mode, hit middle mouse, and you'll scan for targets to lock onto. You'll hear a noise / see your sights change when you do. I think after a moment of scanning it will stop if it doesn't find anyone. When you are in "turret mode" (you get into that by hitting 'F') it will auto-lock onto anyone you see.

I didn't like that one at first, but once you get used to it a little, and learn to hang back with it, it wasn't awful.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Luigi Thirty posted:

middle mouse button is the lock on mode for rockets.

edit: efb

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Lumpy posted:

I figured this out the other night much to my amazement... if you are in "normal" mode, hit middle mouse, and you'll scan for targets to lock onto. You'll hear a noise / see your sights change when you do. I think after a moment of scanning it will stop if it doesn't find anyone. When you are in "turret mode" (you get into that by hitting 'F') it will auto-lock onto anyone you see.

I didn't like that one at first, but once you get used to it a little, and learn to hang back with it, it wasn't awful.

As a rule, if your secondary weapon does something special, MMB will trigger it.

How do I get the Seeker (Default Rocketeer Primary) to lock onto other robots anyway? Just have the crosshair over them and pull the trigger?

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 20, 2013

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Wales Grey posted:

How do I get the Seeker to lock onto other robots anyway? Just have the crosshair over them and pull the trigger?

Yup! Though they lock on better if you do the full hellfire lockon as well.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Anyone else not able to connect to any server since the patch?

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

keyframe posted:

Anyone else not able to connect to any server since the patch?

Should be fixed now.

Junubee
Feb 24, 2004

Cut it out, the players don't want to hear my problems.
In as Junubee (super original!) Only done the basics but I started my first game as MVP with a massive killing spree. It's been a bit harder since then thankfully. Thought I would love the Rocketeer, so far feeling really fragile. I want to get a party going asap, should I just friend random goons in the OP?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The trick to Rocketeer is to ditch your Seeker ASAP and get an EOC Repeater.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Another day, another Uptown.

My team has mostly short-medium ranged weaponry, and are attempting to have a sniping match with the enemy team that has legitimate long-range weapons. We're in the tunnels on the ground floor. My teammates keep going out and getting killed one by one by the snipers. Instead of waiting for them to come to us. By the time the enemy does come to us, it's only two of us left and we die to attrition.

I loving hate Uptown.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
Is there a competitive scene in this game because I've been absolutely poo poo stomping the lower levels.

Does the Berzerker stay relevant late game once everyone is high level? I've been having way too much success with him and I'm wondering if he's just an early game stomper.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pr0phecy posted:

Is there a competitive scene in this game because I've been absolutely poo poo stomping the lower levels.

I was too, then I left the kiddie pool and the tides were turned!

Been busy as hell all week, but I have some free time this weekend and looking forward to playing the bejeepers out of this. What game modes do folks generally play? I've only played TDM and Siege, as I just unlocked the other modes, and siege was the only non DM / TDM one I could get into. I have no interest in straight DM, as I like a bit of strategy in my pew pew pew, but will attempting to play mostyl non-TDM leave me looking for open games most of the time?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Lumpy posted:

I was too, then I left the kiddie pool and the tides were turned!

Been busy as hell all week, but I have some free time this weekend and looking forward to playing the bejeepers out of this. What game modes do folks generally play? I've only played TDM and Siege, as I just unlocked the other modes, and siege was the only non DM / TDM one I could get into. I have no interest in straight DM, as I like a bit of strategy in my pew pew pew, but will attempting to play mostyl non-TDM leave me looking for open games most of the time?

Missile assault is pretty fun, since it's basically a 3 domination point game mode. If you want to win, you have to actually divide up forces well enough and have to be fluid enough to defend against huge pushes on the points you own. I will say that sometimes matchmaking will just put you into an empty missile assault room, but sometimes you can get lucky. Might just be better off using the server browser if that happens.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I like both TDM and Missile Assault. TDM more for wolf-pack hunting and MA for playing with a brawler on point. Good teamplay, when it exists*, makes this game incredibly fun for me.

* - Generally excludes Uptown without exception.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

There is now a double XP weekend going on! If you have the time to take advantage of it, do so! Since there was double xp chat earlier; if you got a boost already, you'll earn quadruple xp during this weekend, so you can take advantage of that if you got the double xp code from the ascension test build as well.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Now is the time. Soon Elite Fred will be mine!

Anyways, I've written a detailed guide that will outline the best way to maximize your Hawken experience for maximum enjoyment.

When you join a match, look for these two icons:

Are they on your team? Leave the game, you will get routed.

Are they on the enemy team? Stick around! Your victory is assured!

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 21, 2013

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Pr0phecy posted:

There was.

It got....dramatic, to say the least.

Ps sk vs bsb we won fair and square

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

There was.

It got....dramatic, to say the least.

Ps sk vs bsb we won fair and square

There still is.

There's a guy who runs competitive scrims multiple times a week, and a ton of people show up every time. They're generally done on MA servers, but I think they're looking into trying out TDMs.

The official thread that explains how to get in on it and how it works is here: (link)

ps no way, rematch... oh wait.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

There still is.

There's a guy who runs competitive scrims multiple times a week, and a ton of people show up every time. They're generally done on MA servers, but I think they're looking into trying out TDMs.

The official thread that explains how to get in on it and how it works is here: (link)

ps no way, rematch... oh wait.

I would rejoin a team and get back into the scene, But I kinda fancy drifting around and stomping on pubbies here and there then disappearing back into space. Also I would lose the mystique of people going "holy poo poo its the plague doctor!" (this has happened half a dozen times since coming back)

I guess I'm just a big ole space-hipster

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Quad exp rules. I played a 30 min siege game from start to finish and gained two mech & pilot ranks.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Scout is now my favorite mech. I can't decide on the stock gun or the heatgun now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Scout is now my favorite mech. I can't decide on the stock gun or the heatgun now.

Depends, do you want to be annoying (flak) or do you want to make people want to uninstall the game (heat cannon)?

I almost wish they brought back the terror that was the buffed Mini Flak. I remember every time you heard that thing going off it was a matter of running as fast as you could away and hoping you wouldn't die (you would)

• Locked thread