Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Crudus posted:

1. E
3. 2x C, 2x G
4. C

Education is important, and Ishamel is probably our best route to unveiling what the world is really about.

And forget Naomi, that was just puppy love.

4C is make out with Naomi clandestine like. 4A is forget her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Hey guys, do we want to leave Zepath and be big strong explorer warriors? Right now the voting is kinda schizo (as always), we're going to end up in a 1:1:1:1 situation. This means that we are going to have a little bit of Zepath law, a little bit of reading/writing, a little bit of Ishamal's friends warrior training, and a lil bit of hanging with Ishamal.

To get the full benefit of any one choice and be big and strong, one of these has to get about 75% of the total votes at minimum.

I believe Dio stated that the decision we make now will affect us quite a lot. So if we focused on warrior training, we'd be big and buff to go with the 7'3 height. Right now is the best time to get big and buff, we're in our teens, getting swole is easy.

If everyone is really happy with the split as it is, then okay. I just thought I'd point out that focusing on one thing gives the most results in that. Maybe we can have a major focus and a minor one.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

3. Hurray! We may finally learn to read! There are so many of these options I wanted to chose, but Literacy!

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Right now we are:
  • get buff with Ishamal's teacher;
  • more better education with Rathal;
  • hang with Ishamal;
  • Tudiya King Stuff;
as top four in that order, with 'get buff' leading by almost 10 points, the other three within a point or two of each other.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 21, 2013

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Hey guys, do we want to leave Zepath and be big strong explorer warriors? Right now the voting is kinda schizo (as always), we're going to end up in a 1:1:1:1 situation. This means that we are going to have a little bit of Zepath law, a little bit of reading/writing, a little bit of Ishamal's friends warrior training, and a lil bit of hanging with Ishamal.

To get the full benefit of any one choice and be big and strong, one of these has to get about 75% of the total votes at minimum.

I believe Dio stated that the decision we make now will affect us quite a lot. So if we focused on warrior training, we'd be big and buff to go with the 7'3 height. Right now is the best time to get big and buff, we're in our teens, getting swole is easy.

If everyone is really happy with the split as it is, then okay. I just thought I'd point out that focusing on one thing gives the most results in that. Maybe we can have a major focus and a minor one.

Right now warrior has almost twice as many votes as anything else. I think we'll be big and swole and maybe be able to do something other than punch things.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
The top 3 are within 3 points of each other actually. My votes were input wrongly.

I'm pretty sure unless there's a clear majority that Dio will take it as a 4 way split, even if getting swole gets a 10 point advantage.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

The top 3 are within 3 points of each other actually. My votes were input wrongly.

I'm pretty sure unless there's a clear majority that Dio will take it as a 4 way split, even if getting swole gets a 10 point advantage.

Fixed and you are right. Cannuck had actually given you 5 points.

Edit: no idea how Dio is going to interpret it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

1: D. We gotta represent.

2: A. Stick with the big man, we'll go far.

4: B. Lovelorn, loveworn, love lost.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

1. B
2. B
3. F F F C
4. D, acknowledge your feelings with the understanding that it is not yet the time for you (or her) to act. Doesn't mean you can't get to know and respect each other.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

1. C
3. D 3 ; H 1I want to master that flute. And I love Mom.[/s]
4. A We don't need women. Our genius is devoted to music.

Changing my vote to:
[b]1. C
3. FFFF
4. A.

Already changed my votes in the spreadsheet.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

1 - A
2 - B
3 - G - 2, I - 2
4 - C

"Hey Indor, what if these were snails from the sea- would they make any difference to your magic?"

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 21, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Spreadheet Updated. Check to see if your votes are right.

Also updated.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 21, 2013

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
1. E
2. B
3. F, F, F, F
4. B

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
1 depends on whatever girl is closest. Naomi likes no beard? Short? Then we do that. Rathal likes it big and bushy? Time to put the razor away. Homosexuality option: We copy Ishamal's style.

3. This is a tough one.

We got cred with Paebel with the horns business, so I vote to consolidate. I therefore put two points into J. It allows us out of the city for practice adventuring, real world experience and time with Danal.

We will never be king (until we discover that we too have the blood of Labaras, as I think we're getting hints about that), and the way I think kingship works here means Danal might not too. However, Tudiya will be king for a very long time, and has hinted at a larger role for us in governance. I bet he's the one who delayed Naomi's marriage. As a slave we cannot marry into the family, but we won't be a slave for much longer. On our day of manhood (circumcision time?), having sought pre-approval from Ishamal and Tudiya (where Ishamal will tell us it's a bad idea but Tudiya will grin and agree if we succeed), we announce our intention to seek out Endiku or what remains of him, and return in a year. Or something else, maybe whatever caused the minotaur attack is still out there, plotting our downfall! Surely an epic quest will elevate us to marriageable status! I therefore put two points in A.

Diogenes, as a temple servant, can Paebel read and write?

As for Naomi, I vote 4C. Based on personal experience, breaking off a relationship because our brain tells us to means jack poo poo and things are going to clandestinely continue anyway. Hell, I'm sure Tudiya is dropping hints about her. Maybe she can sneak along on the inevitable quest that's going to happen to us shortly. Or maybe she never forgives us for breaking it off and we start to notice Rathal's maturity ...

Imperialist Dog fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 21, 2013

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Sogol posted:

4C is make out with Naomi clandestine like. 4A is forget her?

Ah yeah, I meant A. Changed my post to reflect that. Foggettabout her.

Edit: Fixed it on spreadsheet too.

Crudus fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 21, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I'm pretty sure Rathal is an old woman, yes? Tudiya has lived a very, very long time.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

SerSpook posted:

I'm pretty sure Rathal is an old woman, yes? Tudiya has lived a very, very long time.

Perhaps them oldest woman in town.

We need to build a boat. Maybe a big one.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 21, 2013

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

1: D Now that we know the whole story, we should try to emulate our namesake as best we can. Yes, he dies at the end, but so does everybody else. The man went from living with the animals to drat-near rushing the gates of Heaven, y'know?

2: C, C, C, E. Learning ro fight is important in this world, but we've got a whole culture of mooks that can fight. Any man can stab another man with a pointy thing, but reading and writing? To a tribal boy, that's MAGIC. A man of letters can write his story into the clay, and many-lots of years later, other wise men will still know of him even when his children's children are dust. We must learn to become immortal where our distant namesake failed!

On the stabby end, I suggest we learn at the Temple of the Melachim, simply because they've got the best handle on asskicking around here. Learn the sling., or the bow, or the javelin - something that'll take advantage of our eyesight. Being seven feet tall helps a fair bit when throwing things at other things.

3: B. Let's wait until we're free and can afford the bride-price before we get Naomi's hopes up. It's obvious she likes us, but if we get caught, horrible things happen to both of us.

Well..Horrible things happen to us, bad things happen to her, but let's avoid that path. Unrequited love is a better motivator anyway.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
If you want to get respect and power in a culture of mooks that can fight, it's usually best to be swole.

Being literate isn't going to have any immediate positive impact on us or our life right now. It didn't help us in that fight with Lullyby, we got our rear end handed to us. It's not going to help us win status and power in this city.

Yes it's something we should pick up. But right now? Getting swole with Ishamal's friend is more important. Hanging out with the Melachim might turn out to be a bad idea. We don't really want to pick a side between the El / Melachim conflict. Bareen doesn't seem on the level. Might as well learn from the third party guy who loves having a party.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

It'll be harder to learn a system of writing when we're an adult - granted, it'll be harder to put on muscle, too.

'Course, in this culture, we're an adult at sixteen. We are alo seven feet tall and eat like a horse without putting on any undue weight, so yay heroic metabolism! I'm still gunning for literacy, but I might just shift a point toward mighty thews.

Bareen is a bit of a mystery. She's a badass amazon in a patriarchal culture. She seems to have the Blood of Labras, even though that usually only manifests in men. She holds heretical views openly, and the king does not punish her under the law, though he likely could. She doesn't seem all that concerned with the fact that an eight-foot tall murder-machine would like to personally tear her temple apart.

We should, at some point, figure out why this is. But you do have a point - we don't know how much of Tudiya's mindreading Ishamal's citrus-wine potion blocks out, so maaaybe we shouldn't get involved with heresy until we're in a position where he doesn't hold the power of life and death over us.

Changing my vote to C, C, F, F.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

1. How do you wear your beard?

C. Long and bushy, but neat.

2. There are many things which interest you. Did you continue to devote a large portion of your time to following after Tudiyah, or did you spend less time with him, to do other things?

B. I did not spend most of my time with Tudiyah, so vote on #3 instead.

3. I spent my time doing many things... I...

A. * 1 I continued to spend time with Tudiyah

F. * 3 I want to learn how to fight! But I do not want to train at the Temple of the Melachim.

4. With Naomi's betrothal broken...

B. I had feelings, but I kept them to myself

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

UppaTree posted:

It'll be harder to learn a system of writing when we're an adult - granted, it'll be harder to put on muscle, too.

Aren't we already well past the window where learning language would be relatively easy?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

UppaTree posted:

'Course, in this culture, we're an adult at sixteen. We are alo seven feet tall and eat like a horse without putting on any undue weight, so yay heroic metabolism! I'm still gunning for literacy, but I might just shift a point toward mighty thews.

Bareen is a bit of a mystery. She's a badass amazon in a patriarchal culture. She seems to have the Blood of Labras, even though that usually only manifests in men. She holds heretical views openly, and the king does not punish her under the law, though he likely could. She doesn't seem all that concerned with the fact that an eight-foot tall murder-machine would like to personally tear her temple apart.

We should, at some point, figure out why this is. But you do have a point - we don't know how much of Tudiya's mindreading Ishamal's citrus-wine potion blocks out, so maaaybe we shouldn't get involved with heresy until we're in a position where he doesn't hold the power of life and death over us.

Changing my vote to C, C, F, F.

My understanding is that the kings unfavourable views on the temple are his personal views, however it is not an abomination that must be destroyed. He believes in fairness and justice, hence he has not destroyed the temple because it is not illegal. Something like having the Society of Jesus around inside the Catholic church.

Bareen seems off in that she holds everyone can learn magic. Yet why is it her adventurers are not taught this? She has her own angle and goals, but we can poke at that another time.

I guess my point is that we should identify a common goal we want. Do we want to be swole and kill the fish? It seems like half of us want that atleast, but the other half is all over the place.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

My understanding is that the kings unfavourable views on the temple are his personal views, however it is not an abomination that must be destroyed. He believes in fairness and justice, hence he has not destroyed the temple because it is not illegal. Something like having the Society of Jesus around inside the Catholic church.

Bareen seems off in that she holds everyone can learn magic. Yet why is it her adventurers are not taught this? She has her own angle and goals, but we can poke at that another time.

I guess my point is that we should identify a common goal we want. Do we want to be swole and kill the fish? It seems like half of us want that atleast, but the other half is all over the place.
I dunno. I think he was going to pull off the Temple's leg and beat it to death (his favored method) then Barkof and Ishamal talked him out of it.

Absum
May 28, 2013

1. C
2. B
3. FFCJ

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
I'm pretty sure that no matter what we do, Danal is going to tag along. He looks up to is, and could use some variety in his training anyways.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
1. B

2. B

3. A - 1, B - 1, F - 2 (I'm assuming that the entire list will end up in a weighted ranked order, so I want to make sure the 'danal' option isn't at the very bottom.)

4. A, There's lots of fish in the sea, or who knows, maybe we can do like Moments and end up :gay:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

I would rather we get really good at one thing than be crap at everything.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Imperialist Dog posted:

Diogenes, as a temple servant, can Paebel read and write?

He cannot, no. He was born free and is free but has been a temple servant as long as you have known him, after all, people gotta eat and his dad was a slave.

It is not forbidden for a slave to read, some valuable slaves are literate. Keza is.

Most of those who are literate are merchants. They primarily use writing for commerce, contracts in particular. A clay sphere is filled with tokens and figurines to represent the details of the agreement, the merchants imprint their rings on it and then bake it shut. To "break" a contract(*) if there is a dispute, they bring the contract ball to the local authority, Tudiya, who confirms their seals and then breaks open the sphere to see the details of the deal.

You have seen this done many times in the Market.

Writing is rarely wasted on history or art. Why bother? Writing in clay is time intensive. Not every man is a Tudiya, but enough men live long lives and remain mentally till the end that oral transmission of stories seem to suit them just fine. Not every centenarien is still fertile or buff, but old, relatively healthy men of that age live in the city.

Beyond writing on a few monuments, it is strictly something for commerce. There is no such thing as history books or books of poetry, in fact, no books of any sort, at least as far as you are aware.

(*)Fun Historical Fact! Diogines did not make that part up. The term "breaking a contract" dates all the way back to the first cities of Mesopotamia and that is roughly how they did it!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 21, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Rats. I was worried there might not be any books. So we can get all literate and nothing to read that will teach us anything as far as we know?

Edit:We also don't really know if the writing resembles the spoken word, since currently we can mostly just scratch our name. And we have no idea about the strange language spoken by Ishamal and Tudiya in battle since we never asked.

It's not *destiny!*. It's curiosity.

Spreadsheet is up to date I think.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 21, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

As best you know, before the two years transpired, yes.

People have this ridiculous notion that you are anything other than a savage that got rescued by civilized people. Writing and math will serve you well in a life of commerce, or even filling in for Tudiyah or an adult Danal, which are the greatest feats you should reasonably expect to achieve in your life.

Being a valued aid to a king is quite an honor!

Edit: I don't anticipate updating for at least another 4-5 hours, possibly longer, big time leap, so I want to give everyone time to vote.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 21, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I would rather we get really good at one thing than be crap at everything.

In the current voting pool I think this means hitting around 98 votes in one category.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Diogines posted:

Edit: I don't anticipate updating for at least another 4-5 hours, possibly longer, big time leap, so I want to give everyone time to vote.

Oh hell, just got back to the internet.

1: F: Per RandomPauI, Multiple braids. Pirates, yar!
2: B.
3: G,2, C,1, D,1. I dunno, hanging out with Ishamael seems likely to have involved at least some physical training as well, even if we just pick it up via osmosis.
4: C.

Not much thought put into these, to be honest, not a lot of time. Reluctant about leaving out time with Tudiya, and physical training, and Danal to some extent, but them's the breaks.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
We're at something like:
  • F— 31% of the total vote for badass training with Ishamal's friend
  • C— 16.5% for math and writing
  • G— 15% hanging with Ishamal
  • A— 12.5% for King Stuff
  • D— 6% for flute
  • J— 5.2% for scouting with Paebel
  • B— 4.6% for goofing with Danal
  • I— 2% for witchery
  • E— 1.3% for the Temple of Melachim training
  • H— .07% for Mom
  • K— 0% for the Priesthood

yes I know they don't quite add up to 100%. Mistakes were made. The authorities have been alerted. Includes Basscops vote now.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 21, 2013

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Throwing 3 for F and one for C to get better focus. We don't need math and writing for much but its useful. Being buff is top priority.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Voting closed while I write the update.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

POSTED BETWEEN UPDATES

Diogines posted:

Paebel cannot read, no. He was born free and is free but has been a temple servant as long as you have known him, after all, people gotta eat and his dad was a slave.

It is not forbidden for a slave to read, some valuable slaves are literate. Keza is.

Most of those who are literate are merchants. They primarily use writing for commerce, contracts in particular. A clay sphere is filled with tokens and figurines to represent the details of the agreement, the merchants imprint their rings on it and then bake it shut. To "break" a contract(*) if there is a dispute, they bring the contract ball to the local authority, Tudiya, who confirms their seals and then breaks open the sphere to see the details of the deal.

You have seen this done many times in the Market.

Writing is rarely wasted on history or art. Why bother? Writing in clay is time intensive. Not every man is a Tudiya, but enough men live long lives and remain mentally till the end that oral transmission of stories seem to suit them just fine. Not every centenarien is still fertile or buff, but old, relatively healthy men of that age live in the city.

Beyond writing on a few monuments, it is strictly something for commerce. There is no such thing as history books or books of poetry, in fact, no books of any sort, at least as far as you are aware.

(*)Fun Historical Fact! Diogines did not make that part up. The term "breaking a contract" dates all the way back to the first cities of Mesopotamia and that is roughly how they did it!

Two years have passed.

You ceased training in the Temple of the Melachim and took Ishamal up on his offer to find a teacher in the ways of combat. Ishamal has quite a few friends, not all of them part of his regular drinking crew, but men who might train you how to fight. Among them, a grizzled retired merchant named Agamemnon, a man in his early sixties with one eye, a large black bushy beard and a barrel chest. A wealthy and successful merchant, he apparently, also owed Ishamal a favor or two.

As best as you can tell, the man is not Blooded of Labaras, he looks his age and is about 7 feet tall, but does not seem to be supernaturally strong, though he is very, very well muscled. He very probably could not rip a minotaurs leg off and beat it to death with it, but he could very probably beat you easily enough.

The first time you went to the man's richly decorated home, he brought you into a courtyard at the rear of his house and said to you.

"Well, I promised that old goat I would show you the right end of a blade, you should of been at this for at least a few years, but we will make up for lost time..."

There is a table in the courtyard covered in weapons, he motions to it then lifts a weapon one at a time, showing you each of them.

"The iron shod staff, not unlike what you've been training with, but it can do a whole lot of more hurt, but the base is wood and wood can break, good for parrying blades though."

"The long spear. The weapon most men in our fair city train in. Long, pointy and great for large battles of men, not a whole lot of use on your own. If I had my pick, i'd say this one, but Ishamal said to let you have your pick."

"The medium spear. Good reach, can be thrown if your big enough and I think you may be boy. Keeps the beasties at an okay distance but miss your hit overextend and that'll be it for you. The weapon favored by Labaras."

"The sword. Unless Ishamal plans on getting you one, I don't even know how you plan to afford one. A sword is, a sword. A weapon for brave, the skilled and for fools. A quick weapon, but you have to get real close to use one."

"The greatsword. You aren't Barkof kid. I'm not going to waste my time showing you how to use this thing. The only living man I know who even uses one is Barkof." Agamemnon does not even have such a weapon present, he merely mentions it.

"The club. The weapon of your buddy Enkidu. Takes a big guy to use one right, hit and do a whole lot of hurt, miss and thats it for you. Slow and powerful. Easy to learn. Overextend and you are done for but a good hit will crush whatever its hitting flat.

"The axe. Not unlike a club, but a little quicker and easier to recover from a miss."

"The maul. Trickier to learn than a club, but it can do even more hurt. All of the weight is in the end, land a hit and whatever you hit, its gonna die. Miss and the end goes flying and you die."

"The short spear. Those fools who go hunting for Bareen favor them. Short, quick, can be tossed if the need is dire but you gotta get real close."

"Javelins. I knew a few who used these like a short spear, crazy bastard. Not a bad weapon, wind up and throw. Hope that you don't miss and that you killed your target. Useless in a stand up fight."

"The sling. Shepards like them. Tough to aim right but they can get some real distance on them with good aim. I doubt you have the eyes for them. Again, useless in a stand up fight."

"Some of these are a bit more of a... specialty weapon, if you pick one I don't know well enough, i'll pass you off to one that does, make your pick boy."

5. You look over the weapons and you pick...

You spend the next two years training to use this weapon. According to Agamemnon, you are already behind in learning to use a weapon if you really wanted to be good at it. This is also a point system. You get 4 points. If you want to get good at one weapon, you should probably spend them all on one, but you can split the points however you like.

A. Iron shod staff
B. Long spear
C. Medium spear
D. Sword
E. You insist you want to learn to use a greatsword, so you go ask Barkof to train you.
F. Club.
G. Axe.
H. Maul.
I. Short Spear
J. Javelins
K. Sling
L. Another weapon which feasibly existed in ancient Mesopotamia which you know about. Diogines will give input if you have questions about a weapon, or tell you if it is too ridiculous.
M. He did not show you a bow, but he has a friend who could train you. You pick a bow. Agamemnon told you that training to use a bow takes a great deal of practice.

If you have questions about a weapon, their uses or about fighting, just ask Agamemnon.

Don't worry about any single weapon needing a super majority of votes or you will spend your time on multiple weapons and be terrible. Spend the points on the weapon YOU think is best. Depending on the outcome and the difference, either, the weapon with the most points will get all of the effort, or you might also spend some time on a second one. You will not spend your effort on three weapons, unless people make clear that they really want to do that.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

VOTING FOR QUESTIONS 1, 3 AND 4 FROM THE PREVIOUS VOTE REMAIN OPEN, WITH A FEW CONDITIONS:

1. You can change your votes if you like, but please do so in a new vote and say that you are changing the vote, for the sake of our dedicated team of vote counters, this makes it much easier for them. If you did NOT change your votes on these you do NOT have to put your up on them again.

2. You cannot remove any vote you cast for E or F, which were E-Train to fight at the Temple of the Melachim and F. which won a lions share of the votes.

3. You can add new votes for F if you want to, but you cannot cast new votes for E.

QUESTION 1 - BEARD VOTE posted:

Your patchy beard has filled in and if you left it, you would have a large, bushy beard which would make any Zepathan man proud.
1. How do you wear your beard?
A. I don't! I cut it off.
B. I keep it short.
C. Long and bushy, but neat.
D. Long and bushy like a wild man, Enkidu!
E. Long, but I tie it into two braids, as men of status do.

QUESTION 3 - TIME VOTE posted:

We are working on a point system for this one. Everyone gets four points. Gaining the full benefit of any one of these things, will take all or almost all of your points.

Example vote: A:3, C:1. OR. D:4. OR. A:1, B:1, C:1, D:1 etc.

You can spread your points out however you like, but no fractional points. More points means more time spent.

A. I continued to spend time with Tudiyah. I learned more about the law of Zepath. Men of influence came to accept me more easily and my general reputation continued to improve. If I kept at this, I could hope to enter Zepathan high society at some point in my life or maybe one day even, fill in for Tudiyah on the King's Chair! He has other people in charge when he goes adventuring, maybe it could be me! But if I hope to have that level of trust, I need to keep spending lots of time with him...

B. I continued to spend lots of time goofing off with Danal. This kept my relationship with him strong, but it did take up a lot of time. We didn't learn all that much, but it made sure we remained the best of friends!

C. I really wanted to read and learn how to do numbers. Writing is not alphabetic, in fact, I have no idea what that word even means, even though it means that letters represent sounds. In Zepath, each letter is a word, a little picture, representing something. That means there are... a... LOT of letters! I spent lots of time with Rathal, Danal's eldest sister, who taught me how to read and write and do math better than most people in Zepath!

D. I really wanted to learn to play the flute! I spent lots of time with Ephat. I already knew how to play the flute okay, but I got a lot better with all of the time I spent with him! He is a beggar who lives next to one of the city gates and plays the flute to pay his way. Sometimes I wonder why he is homeless, he is REALLY good! I spent a lot of time with him beside the gate and got really good!

E. [REMOVED]

F. I want to learn how to fight! But I do not want to train at the Temple of the Melachim. Ishamal said he would have a friend teach me if I wanted to. I decided to take him up on his offer. This took a LOT of time, but I really wanted to learn to fight!

G. I am pretty sure Ishamal is just about the coolest guy ever! I spent a lot of time with him. Most of that time he was in taverns drinking, but sometimes he went hunting, or played instruments, or brought gifts to widows and sometimes went out to help recover the bodies of foolish would-be adventurers. It turns out a lot of people come to him for advice in their life, so I listened then, too.

H. I love my mother. She is an EXCELLENT cook! She taught me more about cooking and what naturally growing herbs and plants are safe to eat and even a little about medicine! Maybe what she had to teach me was not too exciting, but she struggled so hard for so many years trying to keep me safe and I love her. I am not ashamed to admit I love my mother, damnit! Would be heroes get to love their moms, the same as everyone else! All she wants in return is to spend time with me, how could I say no? I made sure to set aside some time for for my mother, though I did not spend a whole lot of time with her, I had other stuff to do!

I. I found a witch! A real one! Her name is Indor. She is an old woman. A lot of magic is fake, but she is for real! Lots of people in the city buy potions and medicines from her and sometimes protective amulets. What she does is not showy like ripping off a giant minotaur's leg and beating it to death with it, nor is there any light like when Bareen does her miracle cures, but everyone knows Indor's stuff really works! Everyone looks down their nose at magic and it is not a respectable thing for any would be adventurer to pursue, but I wanted to learn more. I was walking home and I saw a thief running out of her stall! I walloped him hard and he ran off and I gave her back what the thief stole. After, Indor hired me to help her find herbs and other things in the hills near Zepath. It turns out that snails are important to her magic and I sure am an expert when it comes to collecting snails! This is not... forbidden, but it is not a respectable thing for any man to do. Indor says I have natural talent for magic! I know Tudiyah would not approve and Danal would not either. I know I am not a descendant of Labaras so I will never have Labaras-Power... but if I keep at it... maybe I could learn some real magic!

J. Paebel still works for the Temple of the Melachim. Lately, they have been sending him out in the countryside to scout for monsters! He is pretty good at it! I went with him sometimes, Danal came with us, of course and Danal loved it, though I risked both of our butts if he got hurt! I learned a bit about being in the wilderness from Paebel, but it also meant I was working for the Temple of the Melachim, even if it was indirectly.

K. Zebanetha told me that my life makes an inspiring story because I was born among cannibals but now know El! He wants me to join the Priesthood because he thinks my story will help other people. When I told him that was impossible because I belong to Tudiyah, he said not to worry, he would buy my freedom if I would join the Temple and he was sure he could convince Tudiyah! I learned that he does not just own this temple, but that there is a High Temple in Baitel which is in charge of ALL of the Temples of El everywhere! If I accepted his offer, I would have to spent lots and lots of hours learning to work for El. Most priests work in the temples, but not all of them! Some of the Priests are heroes! But not most of them. It would be up to the more senior Priests to decide what I would do with my life and if I join, I can never quit. This is a highly respectable career choice, but it means I would lose my freedom.
(If this option is popular, we have a separate vote to go into this in more detail as you probably have questions. Points spent here are just a vote to go in this direction, the exact time allocation will work out in another vote. If you decide not to go down this path after a vote, we will have another vote on how to spend your time, removing this option.)

L. [Removed]

M. I spent my time doing other things. Fill in. If you have questions, just ask.

To repeat: Gaining the full benefit of any one of these things, will take all or almost all of your points. None of these are simple or easy things. To gain the full benefit of any of them, you will need to devote the lions share of your time at it. A 1/1/1/1 vote means you will have dabbled in several things but not gained the full benefit of any of them.

QUESTION 4 - NAOMI VOTE posted:

4. With Naomi's betrothal broken...
A. I did not have any feelings for her anymore anyway. This did not matter to me.

B. I had feelings, but I kept them to myself

C. I had feelings for her and I did my best to have a relationship with her, if she still had feelings for me. If I succeeded, we did our best to not get caught.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 21, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

So, I want to tell the merchant that Ishamal said I have good eyes, better than most. When the minotaurs attacked the city two years before I could make out details of the banners from the King's home.

But I'm thinking medium spear or the club personally. But he might make a strong recommendation for the sling if he knows of our eyesight.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
4 points in C , we need a weapon that is versatile so we can both go on adventures of our own and fight in battles and the medium spear looks like the most versatile weapon of them all.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
1. C
2. 2A, 1B and 1D
3. B
4. 4F