Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Am I the only one who thinks that Kuromaru's gender should be a Schrödinger's cat deal? It would be funny have Akamatsu just tease about the revelation but never actually doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Honestly when they brought up the cursed body thing I was sure it'd end up some Ramna 1/2 gender swapping deal.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I honestly took that cursed body deal to be more a callback to Negima's Setsuna and how she was considered a freak than anything plot related.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 13, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That cursed penisless body!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are the odds of this ending up being about a bunch of immortals and a pair or two of normals that tag along? We're up to three now, right? Only Shinobu was a "main character" with potential recurrence without immortality.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I'm more curious.

What is the titular UQ.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

veekie posted:

I'm more curious.

What is the titular UQ.

And who is holding it?

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

veekie posted:

I'm more curious.

What is the titular UQ.

I think it was pointed out earlier in this thread that "UQ" was a pun for "yuukyuu" or something like that which meant "eternity". So the title can be "Holders of Eternity" which is fitting a story about a bunch of immortals.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Sonata Mused posted:

And who is holding it?

That's the Ultimate Question, isn't it? :v:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chami posted:

I think it was pointed out earlier in this thread that "UQ" was a pun for "yuukyuu" or something like that which meant "eternity". So the title can be "Holders of Eternity" which is fitting a story about a bunch of immortals.

Well, I guess that answers both of our questions.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I had convinced myself that it was because the series is about Holders of Unusual Qualities, but the eternity pun makes more sense.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Slightly off-topic but did those Negima magic world arc ova's ever get to the Rakan fight? Cursory youtubing didn't get me any results.

E: Spelling

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 14, 2013

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, the reference to Kuromaru's unusual body makes me wonder if he's a guy who got picked to have his brain transferred into a regenerating killing machine, only to find they were all out of male models. Or something weird like that.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Okasvi posted:

Slightly off-topic but did those Negima magic world arc ova's ever get to the Rakan fight? Cursory youtubing didn't get me any results.

E: Spelling
They did not, I think they only covered everyone on their separate ways and the last one was all Yue's little adventure. Rakan showed up but only in the part where he trains Negi and teaches him "Eternal Negi Fever."

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

That cursed penisless body!
Well, no. I was under the impression that Negima's Setsuna was pretty much given the same treatment for not only being a half blood but an Albino on top of things (In her wings, at least).

Regen might just be a Tengu thing for all we know.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Eva mentions that Setsuna is dying her hair and wearing colored contacts somewhere around the Festival Tournament arc (pretty sure it's around then).

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Silento posted:

Eva mentions that Setsuna is dying her hair and wearing colored contacts somewhere around the Festival Tournament arc (pretty sure it's around then).

It was revealed during Kyoto that she's albino, and that kinda applies full-body, elaborating on how she gets around white hair, red eyes later.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
You know, if the entire main cast turns out to be immortal, I hope that we get plentiful time skips. It'd be kinda nice to have the story actually use the fact that the cast doesn't age and make it a bunch of connected vignettes on a long timeline with Negi's terraforming plan slowly chugging in the background to it's completion.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Okasvi posted:

You know, if the entire main cast turns out to be immortal, I hope that we get plentiful time skips. It'd be kinda nice to have the story actually use the fact that the cast doesn't age and make it a bunch of connected vignettes on a long timeline with Negi's terraforming plan slowly chugging in the background to it's completion.

I hadn't thought about it like that. That would be pretty interesting to see, though isn't his terraforming of Mars already done at this point? I can't remember how long his plan was supposed to take, but wouldn't it be done by this point in the timeline?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The stuff you could do with an immortal cast are interesting as hell, I hope they make full use of it. Maybe the final scene will be Touta's episode two dream; all of them sitting around in a bar getting drunk and talking about the cool poo poo they did as kids, except instead of old men they'll still be kids.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

rizzen posted:

...though isn't his terraforming of Mars already done at this point? I can't remember how long his plan was supposed to take, but wouldn't it be done by this point in the timeline?

Maybe? I always assumed that the complete plan was a long term one since Asuna had to maintain the required magic for a hundred years and got delayed by 30 years due to the martian civil war. So assuming that I remember correctly that UQ holder is set 60 years after the end of Negima there'd still be 60-70 years of Asuna sleepytimes left, depending on which point of the Negima ending you start counting at. Though I'm not sure how early the actual terraforming would have happened in the plan so it might be that that part is already complete.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
UQ Holder 5

I see we're still having fun with Kuromaru's gender.

And it seems the standard for calling something ancient magic has slipped a bit. But then there's no point using High Ancient ice spells on a hot spring.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
What do you mean it's slipped? There's high ancient magic and plain ancient magic...

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
That one is a souped up Sagitta Magica though. Up to Jovins Tempestas Fulguriens at best. Though backed with a lot of magical muscle.

On the other hand it's been a two generations since, might be pretty ancient.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

To me those spears looked just like an ice version of Fate's spears spell. Saggita magica doesn't really have the fixed form, they're just beams of light.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

veekie posted:

That one is a souped up Sagitta Magica though. Up to Jovins Tempestas Fulguriens at best. Though backed with a lot of magical muscle.

On the other hand it's been a two generations since, might be pretty ancient.

That's what I meant though. We have "high ancient" which is the holy crap stuff that you seem to be thinking of.

But the magic isn't being said to be "high ancient".

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Touta is completely loving retarded and it owns. Also it looks like they're going to drag out this joke about Kuroumaru's gender as long as possible.

Part of me doesn't really want this series to ever actually get a plot and instead just be about immortal people loving around.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Touta is completely loving retarded and it owns. Also it looks like they're going to drag out this joke about Kuroumaru's gender as long as possible.

Part of me doesn't really want this series to ever actually get a plot and instead just be about immortal people loving around.

I don't think he's stupid. It's more that he just doesn't give a poo poo and goes with whatever seems most fun at the time.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Which makes him a good friend for Evangeline. Two immortals giving no fucks as they travel the lands doing whatever the hell they feel like.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
You know, considering that the entire magic world was saved by a follower of Evangeline and a user of Magia Erebea, you'd think Eva could get a pardon or something.

Unless that bounty is for newer terrible deeds, or something.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

HellCopter posted:

You know, considering that the entire magic world was saved by a follower of Evangeline and a user of Magia Erebea, you'd think Eva could get a pardon or something.

Unless that bounty is for newer terrible deeds, or something.

Considering what happened with Arika? You could very well wind up demonized for saving the world.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yea, I definitely think that's the kinds of thing kept on the down-low. Does the public really need to know that the son of Nagi and hero who saved the world was trained by an immensely powerful vampire? Don't you think they'd be a little worried that she might be in control? :ohdear:

Edit: Also, even if you didn't reveal the connection between her and Negi, people would probably question why an extremely wanted criminal who's reputation they use to scare their children was pardoned for no reason. It's not like anyone can collect on the bounty, regardless. She seems to be a step above even Rakan.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Or Rakan could have put the bounty on her to keep her on her toes. And for laughs.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
If he/she is descended from Setsuna like it appears, and Setsuna is still active in any way, I'd imagine he/she was dispatched more to put her in contact with Eva rather than out of any real desire for one to kill the other.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Blhue posted:

If he/she is descended from Setsuna like it appears, and Setsuna is still active in any way, I'd imagine he/she was dispatched more to put her in contact with Eva rather than out of any real desire for one to kill the other.

It does seem unlikely for any rookie sent after Eva to be anything but an attempt to get them to meet...or kill the rookie.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

A friend of mine pointed out that the magic circles behind Eva when she uses the ice spears are the same ones used by the Lifemaker

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Zeether posted:

A friend of mine pointed out that the magic circles behind Eva when she uses the ice spears are the same ones used by the Lifemaker
Her vampirism was the result of experiments on immortality by the Lifemaker, it's not surprising they have similarities like that.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Silento posted:

Yea, I definitely think that's the kinds of thing kept on the down-low. Does the public really need to know that the son of Nagi and hero who saved the world was trained by an immensely powerful vampire? Don't you think they'd be a little worried that she might be in control? :ohdear:

Edit: Also, even if you didn't reveal the connection between her and Negi, people would probably question why an extremely wanted criminal who's reputation they use to scare their children was pardoned for no reason. It's not like anyone can collect on the bounty, regardless. She seems to be a step above even Rakan.

Didn't that reporter girl with the camera drone artifact end up writing an immensely popular biography about Negi? You'd think that people would know about Negi's connection to Eva unless what's her face was obfuscating the truth, which seems kind of out of character for her from what I can remember, though it's been a while since I read Negima completely.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yea, that could be true. It's hard to say without knowing exactly what the biography focused on. I doubt they mentioned the time travel at the festival, to start with. The biography could easily talk about his childhood, his time as a teacher at Mahora, (part of) his adventure in Mundus Magicus, and then all the stuff he did as a major political figure that we didn't see. I'm not sure if she would be allowed to reveal that Arika is (was?) alive, and she would definitely not be allowed to reveal that native residents of the magic world are illusions (there must be a better word for it. Simulacrums?).

I would also reiterate the point that the public has been fearing "The Dark Evangel" for decades, if not centuries, so it would be hard to change people's thoughts about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

New chapter: http://readms.com/r/uq_holder/6/2078/1

• Locked thread