Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
5)4x C - Medium Spear! Best all around choice for most situations we likely will find ourselves in.

Also changing my #3 vote to 2:F and 2:J. I had two in F previously - changing my remaining two to be all Paebel, all the time.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Wentley posted:

4 x M (Bow)

If it is less known, and we become a master, that is a legendary thing all of itself. He said we'd likely never go hungry while wandering as well. Not being hungry, and putting an arrow in something's eye from hundreds of yards away sounds pretty good to me.

Seconded! Seriously y'all, a weapon that will keep us from starving while we explore is a really big deal. We should go for it. Plus, chicks dig archers.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A x3 - Personally, I like swords, but I think our boy Enkidel needs to be a staff man.
M x 1 - Originally, I was going to campaign in favor of slings, but, since I'm only putting 1 point towards a secondary weapon, I think we need it to be something more reliable than a sling. That, and an arrow can make a decent "Oh poo poo, critical moment, surprise stab attack" weapon, if we ever get into that sort of desperate situation.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
C x 4 I wanna see us be a proper spearman. We will have time to train in other weapons later if we want to go full warrior mighty man but -for now- we should focus on one thing and get good at that one thing.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Previous vote.
1-A
3-I:4 (I'm going to throw lightning one way or another)
4:A (She kissed us once two years ago and has basically not interacted with us in the interim)

Weapon vote.
M:4 I basically want to be the protagonist from the movie War of the Arrows.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 21, 2013

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

3:1 short spear ( I ) Medium Spear ( C ) and sling ( K )

Short spear for close fighting, sling for hunting rabbits and knocking fruit out of trees. As long as you've got a bit of cloth and some rocks, you can always load a sling, unlike if you run out of arrows or your string snaps or you get it wet and it warps and shoots sideways or whatever bows do.

Although I'm happy with medium spear too!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 22, 2013

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

3:1 short spear ( I ) and sling ( K )

Short spear for close fighting, sling for hunting rabbits and knocking fruit out of trees.

I doubt you're gonna be able to hit rabbits with one pip in sling. I've used slings, it takes significant effort to get good enough to do more than sling a rock in a general direction. One pip in sling is only useful if we are throwing rocks at a big formation I'd think.

Actually, Diogenes. Maybe having a bit more understanding of how much each vote counts for could help us. It's abstract and you say that being "good" is putting all 4 in one place but am I pretty accurate in assuming that putting, say, 1 dot into Slings is pretty much "I know how to not have the rock hit me in the face and fling it in a general direction"?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

ArbitraryTA posted:

Actually, Diogenes. Maybe having a bit more understanding of how much each vote counts for could help us. It's abstract and you say that being "good" is putting all 4 in one place but am I pretty accurate in assuming that putting, say, 1 dot into Slings is pretty much "I know how to not have the rock hit me in the face and fling it in a general direction"?

Just choose bow. All of you. Do you want to starve when we are out adventuring? No? Then choose the bow. It would take advantage of our eagle eyes, be useful for hunting, and useful in battle.

edit: I am voting for M. Bow, if it was not counted already.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 21, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

FoxTerrier posted:

Seconded! Seriously y'all, a weapon that will keep us from starving while we explore is a really big deal. We should go for it. Plus, chicks dig archers.

Thirded! Operation pincushion is a go!

edit: That's 4 M votes.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I'm going to vote for 3x Bow and 1x Medium Spear. Just in case we get snuck up on. No opinion on the other stuff.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

jazzyhattrick posted:

Ask Aggers: Have men ever been known to use two swords? One in each hand?

He laughs. "No man still living. Only in the Old Tales."

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I left bows out of the original vote because I was certain you would all want a melee weapon of some sort because bows are not "cool". Teaches me right to leave out an option!

ArbitraryTA posted:

I doubt you're gonna be able to hit rabbits with one pip in sling. I've used slings, it takes significant effort to get good enough to do more than sling a rock in a general direction. One pip in sling is only useful if we are throwing rocks at a big formation I'd think.

The points are to show how much time you as an individual player want to spend on a weapon. Aggregating the votes makes it come out all weird, so I am going to be looking especially close at individual votes on this one.

Agamemnon said that bows are both hard. Slings are hard, but not as hard. If you want to use the sling AND another weapon, one point is equal to roughly one fourth of your training time.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Diogines posted:

bows are not "cool".

You kidding? Some dude shot nine suns out of the sky with a bow, whole suns! How many suns have people chopped down with an axe? None, that's how many.

Staff's still better :colbert:. Sure a bow can catch us a pheasant now and then, but with our hunger, we'd have to spend all day shooting rabbits and birds just to sate ourself, clearly we'll need some other source of incoming food. A staff is versatile, you can lean on it ... use it to lever things open ... poke holes in the dirt to plant seeds ... bang it on the floor to attract attention in a noisy room ... um ... twirl it around. It need not even be a weapon at all! Plus, people might underestimate us, thinking that we're just some dumb farmer or something, then BAM! We might even get away with not having it confiscated when other weapons would be taken away, see: Gandalf, and Scottish blackthorn sticks.

Truly the weapon of the versatile explorer.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Theglavwen posted:

Staff's still better :colbert:. Sure a bow can catch us a pheasant now and then, but with our hunger, we'd have to spend all day shooting rabbits and birds just to sate ourself, clearly we'll need some other source of incoming food.

Two quick shots through a lone minotaur's eyes and then wait a bit and we've got jerky for weeks hours!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm going to buck the trend and split my points. :ohdear:

The sling is useless close up, but excellent at long range in a world where it seems few men train long range weapons at all. You can hurt, stun or kill an enemy before it reaches you, which is potentially a huge advantage. Also quite useful for hunting small game in the wilderness. We probably can't take a lightning bolt to the chest, but with a sling we can take out a sorcerer from far away. Best of all, it takes up basically no room at all -- it's a leather strap thing and a bag of pebbles. A bunch of javelins or spears are much more cumbersome to carry. On the other hand, training only the sling is silly, because they just aren't good at melee ranges -- we need a melee weapon too.

The medium spear has a lot of versatility in theory, but if you throw it you've just thrown away your primary weapon. That might not be a deal breaker in a big city-wide battle where you can just pick up a random fallen spear, but in the wilderness throwing your primary weapon away is kind of dumb. Better to have a sling for long distance fighting.

If we take the sling, we don't need the versatility of the medium spear. That opens up the field for our choice of melee weapon. I'm very tempted by the heavy staff since we already have some skill with it. But the spear is good too and that is the way the wind is blowing.

Split our time evenly between the two weapons. Since most men don't get formal training at all, that should make us at least as good as an average man.
K. slings: 2 points -- we have great eyes, lets play to our strengths and use them.
C. Medium spear -- 2 points

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
4x C. Once we get used to it, the medium spear will be just like the old fishing spears we used to use in the village, but big enough to be used close up too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Guys, bows suck. That's why hardly anyone uses them. Are we going to learn how to fletch our own arrows? Out in the wilderness we won't be able to buy replacement arrows, or even replacement metal arrowheads. Can you imagine us out in the wilderness trying to make a new bowstring? And if the bow itself is damaged, we're done, because we have no hope of repairing a damaged bow. Making functional bows and arrows is a career all it's own.

With slings you have infinite ammunition right under foot. Sure, professional sling bullets are better, but if you run out of ammo you can use plain rocks. Maintaining or repairing a leather sling is also much easier than repairing a bow.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Not to mention being well trained in a spear is just as useful for hunting wild game.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Edit out old spreadsheet.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 22, 2013

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Quick question about bows: Are longbows a thing? Historically, I don't think they were around in this era, but historically people well over 7 feet tall weren't around either. Given the combination of our eagle eyes and our size, I imagine one in our hands could be ridiculously deadly if we trained in it.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
The bow is something we should pick up later in life as a secondary specialization. Its badass and all, but we need to get trained in some sort of melee first or else if we ever get in close combat we will be screwed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Honestly I think ending up with an equivalent to 3 medium spear and 1 sling would be the best result here.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Edit out old spreadsheet.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 22, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Rahul posted:

Quick question about bows: Are longbows a thing? Historically, I don't think they were around in this era, but historically people well over 7 feet tall weren't around either. Given the combination of our eagle eyes and our size, I imagine one in our hands could be ridiculously deadly if we trained in it.

The English longbow does not exist.

Bows larger than existed for men in this "era" exist in Zepath. Few men use bows. They take a lot of time to learn, more than the average man wants to spend.

Bows suitable for use by men who can bench press cows exist, as do smaller more historically accurate bows.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Diogines posted:

Bows suitable for use by men who can bench press cows exist, as do smaller more historically accurate bows.

Cow bow it is then. That should be able to take down a monster. And if all of you are really worried about getting into a melee fight, just learn to run and shoot faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9RGnujlkI

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
4 in H Worked for me in Skyrim, should work here.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -