Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Volmarias posted:

I'm morbidly curious how you're doing this.

We just get each user to email us their password and then compare them against a list of common passwords

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

We just get each user to email us their password and then church them against a list of common passwords

I hope everyone that actually mails you their password instantly loses and/or gets sacked for failing to observe proper security protocols.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

We just get each user to email us their password and then church them against a list of common passwords

Jesus Christ, I knew not to do that before I ever had my first account that required a password anywhere. Which leads me to this: What's the bigger test, whether they send you their password or whether it's on your list? What happens if they DON'T send you their password?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, I figured the actual drawing was "anyone who doesn't email us their password".

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

:stonk:

Somehow I would have preferred brute-force as the answer.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I'm kidding, we just try and bruteforce them using L0pthcrack. People seem almost desperate to email or tell me their passwords though.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

I'm kidding, we just try and bruteforce them using L0pthcrack. People seem almost desperate to email or tell me their passwords though.

Well played :golfclap:

Does anyone know of a video conferencing setup that plays well with Lifesize and is not Bluejeans? Looks like we need to get some VIP's to be able to remotely access our somewhat regular Lifesize meetings and have some extremely strong opposition to using Bluejeans.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Serious? That was either ultra-stupid or a hell of a save.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

HalloKitty posted:

Serious? That was either ultra-stupid or a hell of a save.
He mentioned previously that the ones they couldn't crack got a prize so I thought it was already fairly obvious that they were using brute force or rainbow tables on them and his previous comment was a joke.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Mercurius posted:

He mentioned previously that the ones they couldn't crack got a prize so I thought it was already fairly obvious that they were using brute force or rainbow tables on them and his previous comment was a joke.

Alcohol has no doubt caused me to make two elementary mistakes in a short space of time on this noble forum; for that I unequivocally apologise. Lest I am banned and have to pay ten dollars, I will gladly give the money to Lowtax for my foolishness.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

HalloKitty posted:

Alcohol has no doubt caused me to make two elementary mistakes in a short space of time on this noble forum; for that I unequivocally apologise. Lest I am banned and have to pay ten dollars, I will gladly give the money to Lowtax for my foolishness.

I get that way too when I'm looking forward to the first drink of the night. It's hard to post straight without a beer on the desk.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

HalloKitty posted:

I dunno. I'm slowly warming to the idea of sending users daily advisories not to email passwords to anyone for a week, then having a contest asking for people to send in their passwords. The prize is they get their account locked.

It's astounding the number of people who will up and give passwords if you hint in any way that you're related to support, even if the problem doesn't touch login issues.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

18 Character Limit posted:

I dunno. I'm slowly warming to the idea of sending users daily advisories not to email passwords to anyone for a week, then having a contest asking for people to send in their passwords. The prize is they get their account locked.

It's astounding the number of people who will up and give passwords if you hint in any way that you're related to support, even if the problem doesn't touch login issues.

People are always amazed at my work when I tell them I do not know their password and no, I can not look it up. Then they try to tell it to me and I have to tell them I don't want to know.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

jim truds posted:

People are always amazed at my work when I tell them I do not know their password and no, I can not look it up. Then they try to tell it to me and I have to tell them I don't want to know.

Some people are positively giddy when they tell me that their password is "Gloria" and that's it's the same for everything.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A lot of people just don't think their mother's name is both easily looked up and not at all an original idea. They genuinely think they're clever and that you'll be impressed by their scheme.

"My password is Binky! He's my pomeranian! Who would guess that?" *posts eight photos a day of "Look at this cute little guy in my purse with me at work! #binky #pomeranian #starbucks #initech" to every social media site with an iphone app*

Javid fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 23, 2013

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Javid posted:

A lot of people just don't think their mother's name is both easily looked up and not at all an original idea. They genuinely think they're clever and that you'll be impressed by their scheme.

To be fair, people want to believe their banking is safe but bank phonesupport gives you a bunch of attitude when you call up and say your maiden name was "341RQ-887TL-692JB" of the Detroit 692JB's.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Javid posted:

"My password is Binky! He's my pomeranian! Who would guess that?" *posts eight photos a day of "Look at this cute little guy in my purse with me at work! #binky #pomeranian #starbucks #initech" to every social media site with an iphone app*

It gets even sillier than that. I did some IT work for an agency for the blind. Everyone with a guide dog used the dog's name as a password. Every single person. If you were really lucky, it was the name of a guide dog they'd had in the past.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

People seem almost desperate to email or tell me their passwords though.

Unsurprisingly, I have this problem too, but although I try to train them out of it, I also have to deal with my coworker straight up asking people for their passwords, so I will never win that battle.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

18 Character Limit posted:

To be fair, people want to believe their banking is safe but bank phonesupport gives you a bunch of attitude when you call up and say your maiden name was "341RQ-887TL-692JB" of the Detroit 692JB's.

Since I'm already using KeePass, I just calculate a salted hash of the real value and store the salt in the KeePass database. Which means that if my mother's maiden names was Jones, for example, I could enter "bada93e1200a5937c9e7c59a84df7a41279f1978" for that question and store "dotheneedful" as the hash value.

This doesn't reduce the immediate confusion when the support rep tries to verify that you gave them the correct information, but it's fairly easy to explain.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Domus posted:

It gets even sillier than that. I did some IT work for an agency for the blind. Everyone with a guide dog used the dog's name as a password. Every single person. If you were really lucky, it was the name of a guide dog they'd had in the past.

Find the guy walking them through sign up. Its the guy telling them "Just use your guide dog's name" I bet.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
In older versions of Plesk, it stores email account passwords in plaintext in the SQL database. Which isn't as terrible as it seems, because the SQL database is owned by root, and if you have access to it you can just change the password, but, it's still pretty bad.

Whenever I'm on one of those devices I'll do a query to pull up the usernames and password WHERE password LIKE '%password%' and I'll usually get a few dozen hits. Throw in '%Passw0rd%' or '%123' for extra fun/sadness.

It's a real mystery why we find them sending spam all the time.

Edit: domainname123 is INSANELY common, as well.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 23, 2013

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I like the way *nix stores passwords, which I have done a taking to in my apps that I code.

Encrypt it one way, remove any trace of it from memory. If a user types his password back in, you have to re-encrypt it again and compare the encrypted value to the encrypted password.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

I like the way *nix stores passwords, which I have done a taking to in my apps that I code.

Encrypt it one way, remove any trace of it from memory. If a user types his password back in, you have to re-encrypt it again and compare the encrypted value to the encrypted password.

Well, that's the Right Way to do it. And that will work until you meet someone with more education than sense, who will ask why if a user forgets their password, we can't just email it to them in plaintext. It'd be such a great convenient feature, have it ready by Monday.

In other news, I've been notified I must take a drug test before reporting to work tomorrow, my only alternative being to resign. This oughta be interesting...

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

sfwarlock posted:

In other news, I've been notified I must take a drug test before reporting to work tomorrow, my only alternative being to resign. This oughta be interesting...

Sounds like a company that doesn't want to keep it's programming department. If our company had drug tests they'd be out of business by next week.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Ursine Asylum posted:

Sounds like a company that doesn't want to keep it's programming department. If our company had drug tests they'd be out of business by next week.

Ditto, we just have a "Don't do it here" policy

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Drug tests are why I will never move to the states for work. It seems so weird and draconian and arbitrary. "Yeah, we like you alright, and there's nothing to complain about in your performance, we'd just like to have an arbitrary excuse to fire you for some reason."

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Pro tip to anyone with the cloud to butt extension turned on. It will replace forms you are typing in with butt as well. Normally hilarious but bad for job apps.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

tehloki posted:

Drug tests are why I will never move to the states for work. It seems so weird and draconian and arbitrary. "Yeah, we like you alright, and there's nothing to complain about in your performance, we'd just like to have an arbitrary excuse to fire you for some reason."

Hah! Like they need a drug test for that.

I guess it's more like "We have this set of ethics, and we think you should too."

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

mysteryberto posted:

Pro tip to anyone with the cloud to butt extension turned on. It will replace forms you are typing in with butt as well. Normally hilarious but bad for job apps.

Instant hire.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Ursine Asylum posted:

I'd fail one of those, and I don't do drugs.

One of the legit medications I'm taking has a side effect of making you test positive for methamphetamine.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Lum posted:

One of the legit medications I'm taking has a side effect of making you test positive for methamphetamine.

You declare that medicine I guess. But you have a right to not disclose medical info. So just claim you are taking meds that cause that. But even that would be traceable. So I guess really you just gotta say 'I dont take that'

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

sfwarlock posted:

Surely you have the alternative of doing neither? IF they want you to leave surely they have to actually fire you.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

Just have a hearty Danish breakfast with two-three delicious poppy seed bread rolls, and you're going to show some interesting results for opiates.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

Hope you haven't eaten a plethora of poppy seeds lately...

e:f;b :argh:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tehloki posted:

In many places it's just a one time screening for hiring and they never do it again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

tehloki posted:

It's more common for blue collar employees, where using a forklift on shrooms can lead to bad things happening. It's very uncommon for white collar roles, however, and I can't imagine that upper management roles aren't exempt, de facto if not de jure.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Volmarias posted:

It's more common for blue collar employees, where using a forklift on shrooms can lead to bad things happening. It's very uncommon for white collar roles, however, and I can't imagine that upper management roles aren't exempt, de facto if not de jure.

I work IT for a manufacturing company and random drug tests happen for 100% of the employees mainly because people have gotten hurt on the plant floor.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I was drug tested as a condition of employment. I don't do any drugs so, you know, no big deal, but it's common.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I suppose the rules might be different for IT support roles because you're all janitors :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I think it's more about the nature of the employer. Larger organizations more likely to require it than small, public more than private, and so on.

• Locked thread