Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

I prefer to think of it as :colbert: Take that as you will.

:smugbert:

Check and mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 234 days!
The smuugest icon.

... or is it? :smaug:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Nice! You even put in a snide insult insinuating that we could have an "adult" conversation if only I wasn't so immature compared to you. That's like hitting a 3x points square in scrabble dude! Alas, If only I wasn't such a fragile baby deer I could have an opinion!

I would read your tumblr posts about sexism in the nerd hivemind because nobody else in this thread is such as moral paragon as you are :allears: If only we were mature enough to discuss the character instead of going around in circles about stupid poo poo nobody cares about.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bisensual posted:

All this talk about Mikasa is good and all but the anime thread has started speculating about who the Colossal Titan and Armoured Titan are and I can't stop laughing. As for how the anime/season ends, it should definitely be the big reveal just so I can read the reactions in the anime thread.

It's for the good of mankind.

I loved the guess of Pixis for Colossal Titan, that would've actually been really fun if it were true.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bifauxnen posted:

I loved the guess of Pixis for Colossal Titan, that would've actually been really fun if it were true.

On the other hand, it would have given a really creepy new meaning to the whole "smoking hot lady titan" thing, considering Annie's age.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

Actually yeah that would have been pretty interesting if it was Pixis. Who would have been able to see that coming? He hasn't shown up in the comic at all since Eren joined the scouting division, so who knows what he's been up to.

my dad posted:

On the other hand, it would have given a really creepy new meaning to the whole "smoking hot lady titan" thing, considering Annie's age.

I found it pretty creepy to begin with anyway. What's so attractive about a giant flayed human with muscle tits?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I found it pretty creepy to begin with anyway. What's so attractive about a giant flayed human with muscle tits?

I'll bet you that someone, somewhere, is masturbating to the female titan right now.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

He's not saying he's attracted to it, just that it's searing with heat, that smoke is rising as steam boils off of it. Which is factually correct.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Adelheid posted:

He's not saying he's attracted to it, just that it's searing with heat, that smoke is rising as steam boils off of it. Which is factually correct.

Doesn't he basically say "I wouldn't mind dying if it was that steaming hot lady titan that ate me"? Which is kind of sexual?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

He said "a" titan lady, this was before the female titan was introduced.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

change my name posted:

He said "a" titan lady, this was before the female titan was introduced.

Well, quite. We don't know if Annie is his type. Pixis might be very particular about his weird vore fetish.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pixis says he wouldn't mind being eaten if a beautiful lady titan did it. This is well before anyone knew of Titan Annie's existence back in Trost.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Actually yeah that would have been pretty interesting if it was Pixis. Who would have been able to see that coming? He hasn't shown up in the comic at all since Eren joined the scouting division, so who knows what he's been up to.
He showed up very briefly in that montage of people finding out Wall Rose had been 'breached,' chatting with Hannes.

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?

Fister Roboto posted:

I hope the secret in Eren's dad's basement is Mikasa's cheerful, happy-go-lucky twin sister, Sukasa.

6 hours later. I went to the store. I came back. Turned on my computer. Poured myself a glass of Coke Zero.

And I just got the joke.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 234 days!

Nice! You even put in a snide insult insinuating that we could have an "adult" conversation if only I wasn't so immature compared to you. That's like hitting a 3x points square in scrabble dude! Alas, If only I wasn't such a fragile baby deer I could have an opinion!

I would read your tumblr posts about sexism in the nerd hivemind because nobody else in this thread is such as moral paragon as you are :allears: If only we were mature enough to discuss the character instead of going around in circles about stupid poo poo nobody cares about.

*shrug*

There is actually a substantive portion to my argument. You're very keen to jump on and/or invent any excuse to avoid engaging it, though.

I'm insinuating that your position is that of a child because I have little but contempt for anyone who cannot even entertain the idea that they might share the same interpretive biases as the rest of humanity. You care so much about defending your self-perception as "not sexist" that you cannot sustain the sort of self-examination required to honestly evaluate your own interpretations in those terms. The result is an entrenched lack of self-awareness. Or to put it simply, if you are more worried that someone might call your opinion sexist than you are that your opinion might be sexist, you are a sad little person.

Guess what? I'm quite capable of having sexist and racist ideas. Can you imagine? I can, because I actually have a realistic self-image that allows for my perspective to not always account for the experiences of others. I'm fine with the fact that sometimes, I might be wrong when I think some idea of mine isn't to some degree racist (etc). When someone says "X idea is racist/etc," I don't even see it as about me. I think of it more as "them" trying to explain to me something about themselves that I'm not properly applying to the situation.

It really doesn't matter if you tell me that no one cares (untrue) or associate me with a format you feel free to dismiss. I may or may not be correct, but you're really just making my point for me by calling me names that boil down to "person whose mean words I can ignore."

I think at this point we are in derail territory, though. Neither of us is even referring to the magna at this point. So I'll drop it and leave you to mull how horrible it is that I said bad things about your opinion of animes.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 23, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

From the anime thread:

snucks posted:

Yeah, the show's clearly got some big plans for Jean but it's hard to tell what they are. Maybe he'll eventually co-lead the Survey Corps with Armin? He seems way too everyman to end up being a secret titan.

Still can't wait for season 2 and I can see the thread's reaction to Bert's reveal. :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bisensual posted:

6 hours later. I went to the store. I came back. Turned on my computer. Poured myself a glass of Coke Zero.

And I just got the joke.

I still don't get it :( What is it referring to?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Mi casa es su casa. My home is your home.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

I may or may not be correct, but you're really just making my point for me by calling me names that boil down to "person whose mean words I can ignore."

Says the person writing paragraphs upon paragraphs of thinly veiled insults because someone doesn't like their favourite anime character :qq:

Genocyber posted:

From the anime thread:

Still can't wait for season 2 and I can see the thread's reaction to Bert's reveal. :v:

I kinda hope that the second season ends with the conversation with Bert and Ernie, then cuts before Mikasa goes for them and they transform. That would be a super ballsy cliffhanger and would leave everyone screaming for the third season. Knowing how anime is done they'll probably end with Eren being kidnapped and everyone on the wall just before they go after them. I'm still interested to see how they're going to end the first season (unless the episode already came out and I'm just a slowpoke).

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

I'm still interested to see how they're going to end the first season (unless the episode already came out and I'm just a slowpoke).

It'll either be wall titans, "Wall Rose has fallen!" or maybe Ape Titan for a complete out of nowhere what the gently caress.

edit: and I just panicked that I thought I had posted this in the anime thread by accident.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 23, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ActionZero posted:

It'll either be wall titans, "Wall Rose has fallen!" or maybe Ape Titan for a complete out of nowhere what the gently caress.

edit: and I just panicked that I thought I had posted this in the anime thread by accident.

Ending the "second season" (as mentioned in Horrible Smutbeast's post) on wall titans would require an incredible, incredible amount of filler.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AFAIK there's literally one episode left of the anime. Given that the most recent episode ended with Eren transforming and slugging Annie, I can't see them adapting anything beyond Wall Titan.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

JosephWongKS posted:

Ending the "second season" (as mentioned in Horrible Smutbeast's post) on wall titans would require an incredible, incredible amount of filler.

I was referring to him being interested in how they'll end the first season.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ActionZero posted:

I was referring to him being interested in how they'll end the first season.

Ah okay. That said, I'd legit love to see a Shingeki no Fumoffu series.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Ah okay. That said, I'd legit love to see a Shingeki no Fumoffu series.

The entire second season will be all of the artist's fake previews made into an anime series. Eren is eaten by another titan every episode and busts out, Jean hits on Mikasa unsuccessfully as she trains to become an idol and Levi just watches with disinterest. Sometimes, Jean's mom walks in on him jerking it. Armin tries to defeat the most deadly foe he's ever faced - the stairs he keeps falling down and stubbing his knee on. Hange falls in love with that one titan. Ape titan will show up to climb the wall, forget what he was going to do when he gets to the top, then gets embarrassed about it and goes home.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

The entire second season will be all of the artist's fake previews made into an anime series. Eren is eaten by another titan every episode and busts out, Jean hits on Mikasa unsuccessfully as she trains to become an idol and Levi just watches with disinterest. Sometimes, Jean's mom walks in on him jerking it. Armin tries to defeat the most deadly foe he's ever faced - the stairs he keeps falling down and stubbing his knee on. Hange falls in love with that one titan. Ape titan will show up to climb the wall, forget what he was going to do when he gets to the top, then gets embarrassed about it and goes home.

Don't forget some guy in an anthropomorphic livestock head redoing Ymir's hair, Sasha going on homicidal rages for french bread and the horribly incompetent inner guard who must be whipped into true titan whippin' efficiency by Pixis in a teddy bear suit.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Is there anywhere where all the fake preview images are located? A few have been posted in the thread, but not all.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm insinuating that your position is that of a child because I have little but contempt for anyone who cannot even entertain the idea that they might share the same interpretive biases as the rest of humanity. You care so much about defending your self-perception as "not sexist" that you cannot sustain the sort of self-examination required to honestly evaluate your own interpretations in those terms. The result is an entrenched lack of self-awareness. Or to put it simply, if you are more worried that someone might call your opinion sexist than you are that your opinion might be sexist, you are a sad little person.

Guess what? I'm quite capable of having sexist and racist ideas. Can you imagine? I can, because I actually have a realistic self-image that allows for my perspective to not always account for the experiences of others. I'm fine with the fact that sometimes, I might be wrong when I think some idea of mine isn't to some degree racist (etc). When someone says "X idea is racist/etc," I don't even see it as about me. I think of it more as "them" trying to explain to me something about themselves that I'm not properly applying to the situation.
I think the issue is that when sexism or racism are brought up, it's often a shorthand way of saying "your opinion is illegitimate, you're a bad person, and you will be excommunicated and never forgiven." It's not surprising that people react emotionally to that sort of thing.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Is there anywhere where all the fake preview images are located? A few have been posted in the thread, but not all.

This seems to be most of them: http://yukipri.tumblr.com/post/57832189031/i-havent-seen-these-as-a-set-so-here-you-go

There's also a link at the bottom of the post that leads to the titan shifter joke image (where everyone turns into titans with Angel Christa). I will never not lose my poo poo over the Hange one. That loving facial expression on the titan, good god.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
The issue is that Hodgepodge is ascribing misogyny without evidence - just assuming that the motives of the people attacking Mikasa's character (and for the record I disagree with the interpretation Kokoro Wish and Horrible Smutbeast have of the character) are sexist attempts to bring down a ~strong female character~

Kokoro Wish and Horrible Smutbeast's arguments were gender-neutral, and being attacked as sexist misogynists for voicing a gender-neutral argument is pretty offensive and Tumblr-esque.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

They've been probated, let's talk about happier things, like Jean. Someone brought up in the anime thread that his character development is by far the best in the show, but also that it's really front-loaded. And yet we know hardly anything about his past, only that he is from Trost, which I only remember because I did that long character post for the anime thread.

It kind of seems like he's being planned as a future leader and foil to Armin, who is willing to go much further than comfortable to achieve his aims. At the sane time that seems too...easy, I guess? It seems like the obvious route to take but at the same time, practically all of the other members of the 104th that have had character development look like they're going down bad paths, with the exception of Sasha who Isayama said he was going to kill but changed his mind (Connie and Christa's little arcs made their characters rounder but not more dynamic in my mind, if that makes sense). So I guess I'm wondering if I'm just being pessimistic about where the other characters look like they're headed, or if Jean is about to crash in the most amazing way possible? Because that much of a turnaround to being awesome that fast just doesn't feel right. :colbert:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Jean will be a squad leader, Armin the commander.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I just realized that if the ending is the reveal of the Wall Titan, we're almost definitely not going to get to see Hanji get dead loving serious with Pastor Nick till the first episode of next season at whatever indeterminate but definitely long period of time is :( .

Can you imagine how awesome that's going to be? Hearing her amazing VA be all pissed and menacing, dangling a dude off a roof like Batman?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I just realized that if the ending is the reveal of the Wall Titan, we're almost definitely not going to get to see Hanji get dead loving serious with Pastor Nick till the first episode of next season at whatever indeterminate but definitely long period of time is :( .

Can you imagine how awesome that's going to be? Hearing her amazing VA be all pissed and menacing, dangling a dude off a roof like Batman?

You can listen to that right now, just go turn on any episode of Fullmetal Alchemist. :v:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore posted:

You can listen to that right now, just go turn on any episode of Fullmetal Alchemist. :v:

There's got to be at least one episode of FMA in which Edward Elric didn't make an appearance.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Bifauxnen posted:

That was my original guess, considering the timing of his appearances, and Reiner (however at the time i meant to say Jean, due to his grey hair). Personally i still think there is something more to pixis.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Autumncomet posted:

They've been probated, let's talk about happier things, like Jean. Someone brought up in the anime thread that his character development is by far the best in the show, but also that it's really front-loaded. And yet we know hardly anything about his past, only that he is from Trost, which I only remember because I did that long character post for the anime thread.

It kind of seems like he's being planned as a future leader and foil to Armin, who is willing to go much further than comfortable to achieve his aims. At the sane time that seems too...easy, I guess? It seems like the obvious route to take but at the same time, practically all of the other members of the 104th that have had character development look like they're going down bad paths, with the exception of Sasha who Isayama said he was going to kill but changed his mind (Connie and Christa's little arcs made their characters rounder but not more dynamic in my mind, if that makes sense). So I guess I'm wondering if I'm just being pessimistic about where the other characters look like they're headed, or if Jean is about to crash in the most amazing way possible? Because that much of a turnaround to being awesome that fast just doesn't feel right. :colbert:

I was thinking about this the other day, the reason we haven't seen Sasha is because she's supposed to be dead. Isayama wrote the whole story out in advance so no doubt he's trying to figure out how to reintroduce her. I imagine when the titan she was fighting without 3d gear is when she was supposed to have died, but changed up so that the blood was slippery enough for her to escape. Honestly I'm glad he didn't kill her. Yet.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Could somebody remind me why she wasn't able to kill the thing with that axe? It was completely ignoring her, she had a completely clean shot of its neck!

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Could somebody remind me why she wasn't able to kill the thing with that axe? It was completely ignoring her, she had a completely clean shot of its neck!

The cuts it made were too shallow, and it was healing faster than she could cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Probably because a random wood cutting axe isn't a pair of magic super sharp boxcutterswords that the whole neck chunk out in one stroke.