Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fintilgin posted:

Also, 'defend this spot' missions are so much easier when you can instantly summon a mega-tank around yourself. :shepface:

For my second playthrough, I did all the Hotspots, Flashpoints and Security Deletions in an alien VTOL and all the Virus Injections in an alien tank. The only problem was that it gave me yet another reason to wish wardens weren't a thing, since you have to get out to fight them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Action Tortoise posted:

Use Fire Buff during those segments. They'll ignite and flail around igniting their friends.

Sure, but they don't necessarily get out of the control area while they're on fire, and it seems that any non-dead enemy on the "hill" platform resets whatever timer you need to hit. (This is also why you can't use TK to pick them up and throw them away; you end up pulling them towards yourself before you throw.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
There's two versions of the 'king of the hill' segment, and I found that they both needed different treatments. Them being in the ring while you are won't change it going up, but them being in there when you're not does I think bring the meter down.

The one in Medium difficulty against the Genki Girls is best dealt with by telekinesis; just being really productive about keeping them out that way will end it pretty quickly, although of course keeping that up requires a couple upgrades to Telekinesis.

The Hard one agains thte Vice Kings just asks you to make them stop hitting you, so Ice Blast/Buff, or any Stomp will do the trick.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

The one in Medium difficulty against the Genki Girls is best dealt with by telekinesis; just being really productive about keeping them out that way will end it pretty quickly, although of course keeping that up requires a couple upgrades to Telekinesis.

The Hard one agains thte Vice Kings just asks you to make them stop hitting you, so Ice Blast/Buff, or any Stomp will do the trick.

I just used Stomp for both of them. If you've upgraded it enough it works fine.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tiggum posted:

I just used Stomp for both of them. If you've upgraded it enough it works fine.

Same here. In fact, I pretty much used ice blast and stomp on all group battles. King of the Hill is simple - freeze group, stomp, wait for next, repeat.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

prefect posted:

Sure, but they don't necessarily get out of the control area while they're on fire, and it seems that any non-dead enemy on the "hill" platform resets whatever timer you need to hit. (This is also why you can't use TK to pick them up and throw them away; you end up pulling them towards yourself before you throw.)

Dude. Punch them. It worked for me, just hammer the melee button.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

So Shadow Warrior comes out on Steam in 2 days. What does that have to do with Saints Row IV? Well if you own Saints Row IV you get this:

“I’m sorry I can’t really hear you over the sound of all that money being thrown at screens around the world,” said Fork Parker, Devolver Digital CFO. “And I don’t know what to tell you other than you can now wield a giant purple dildo from Saints Row IV in Shadow Warrior. There’s your headline, nerds.”

http://www.devolverdigital.com/blog/view/devolver-digital-and-deep-silver-bring-more-wang-to

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Action Tortoise posted:

Use Fire Buff during those segments. They'll ignite and flail around igniting their friends.

I love how we all have our own ways. Personally I just stood there and ate poo poo then vampire grabbed the closest person the second I stood up to get my health back over and over.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Bum the Sad posted:

I love how we all have our own ways. Personally I just stood there and ate poo poo then vampire grabbed the closest person the second I stood up to get my health back over and over.

This one is my favorite strategy because even though I had the highest level of Fire Resistance in the game my Boss would still flail around as if she was affected by the flames (is that supposed to happen or is that another bug in my copy?) so the King of the Hill parts become a clusterfuck where everyone on that little space including me is running around setting other people on fire. I think it's effective, I've shaved off a lot of time doing that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I am having the hardest time getting Gold on the Julius fight club. It seems to take me way too long on the part where you have to kill 18 dudes. Is it best to just stand in one place and let them come to you? I know there are exploding barrels, but it still takes me forever to kill everyone. The first part is easy, the king of the hill is simple (just TK throw the dudes at each other), and the boss is simple (Can be insta-killed with shrink stomp then run over), but getting the 18 killed quick is just driving me nuts.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Finally finished Saints Row the Third. Was a terrible slog the whole time. I liked everything except the actual missions. For all the complaints about GTAIV being basically "go here and kill dudes" that was essentially every mission in this game.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 25, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Even the Decker missions and the finale? :ohdear:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SynthOrange posted:

Even the Decker missions and the finale? :ohdear:

Ok yeah the Decker missions were pretty sweet, I almost forgot about those. The finale was the worst part actually. You fight a shitload of dudes then a tank shows up and instantly downs Pierce, and then you die trying to help him up. Repeat three loving times. I ended up cheesing it by going back to the crib and grabbing a VTOL.

Actually you're probably referring to the other finale. Plotwise it was great but gameplay-wise it was terrible. The enemies still shot you while you ran around pressing Y on things. Then a 'boss fight' that is yet another trope of "do the same exact thing three times"

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 25, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I ended up cheesing it by going back to the crib and grabbing a VTOL.

VTOL is not cheating. VTOL is a way of life.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm disappointed nobody makes a comment if you claim a tower by flying to the top instead of climbing it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Bruceski posted:

I'm disappointed nobody makes a comment if you claim a tower by flying to the top instead of climbing it.

That's just typical Boss.

"Okay, use your new superpowers to scale this crazy tower and make your way to---"

"Oh, I grabbed a VTOL and took care of that, thanks."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Medullah posted:

I am having the hardest time getting Gold on the Julius fight club. It seems to take me way too long on the part where you have to kill 18 dudes. Is it best to just stand in one place and let them come to you? I know there are exploding barrels, but it still takes me forever to kill everyone. The first part is easy, the king of the hill is simple (just TK throw the dudes at each other), and the boss is simple (Can be insta-killed with shrink stomp then run over), but getting the 18 killed quick is just driving me nuts.

I think I just use fire Blast. With the upgrade that makes them explode when they die.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tiggum posted:

I think I just use fire Blast. With the upgrade that makes them explode when they die.

Speaking of that upgrade, did the patches ever fix the fireproof upgrade not working?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Regarding "breaking" the game with VTOLs and whatnot, that's one of the things that has always been in Saints Row and is part of what makes it so fun to play. GTA tends to corral you into a certain area, time limit, and car to use for missions. Saints Row lets you call in a bunch of homies and a tank if you want to. Rarely do you have a mission where you lose by moving away from the area you are "supposed" to be in, even. Absolutely one of the series' best features in my opinion.

Saints Row: even the missions are customizable. :getin:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Light Gun Man posted:

Regarding "breaking" the game with VTOLs and whatnot, that's one of the things that has always been in Saints Row and is part of what makes it so fun to play. GTA tends to corral you into a certain area, time limit, and car to use for missions. Saints Row lets you call in a bunch of homies and a tank if you want to. Rarely do you have a mission where you lose by moving away from the area you are "supposed" to be in, even. Absolutely one of the series' best features in my opinion.

With SR3 I took the truck that they told you to use in the final mission and tried my damnedest to get the thing to loving work. Eventually I said gently caress it and used everything I had at my disposal in my contact list. It's good to be the boss.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The vehicle I miss the most is the septic truck. :itwaspoo:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SynthOrange posted:

Where's a septic truck when you need one?

(the answer is nowhere because they aren't in SR4 :smith:)

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah, that's what I love about this game. All sandbox games' missions are quite restrictive in what you're supposed to do. An objective pops up on screen and a dot appears on your map to tell you where to go and what to do. Even Saints' Row does this because there's too much crap that could go wrong if the objective is too vague or the open-world structure makes it harder to figure out your location than games with smaller levels. Saints' Row is great about it because it tells you what to do and leaves you to figure out how to do it. Sleeping Dogs has forensic investigation missions which sound interesting but all you do is follow the blips on the map where the bodies are and press a button to interact. I failed a mission in GTA V because I detached a semi's cargo all because it would ruin the following cutscene. The only times SR restricts you in missions is when you're doing something gimmicky like a turret segment or freefalling and dodging obstacles.

Even the activities are open enough to player experimentation. The Blazin' missions' time limits have enough breathing room so that in case you mess up your path you can still right yourself and get gold. Miss a checkpoint in Flight School in GTA and you get a five-second penalty. The towers are designed to let you run up anywhere or just jump off and summon a VTOl like it's some super robot anime. I always hijack one of those hovertanks when I'm doing Virus Injection to avoid damage.

Saints' Row allows emergent gameplay in its missions and doesn't punish the player for re-interpreting the rules.

signalnoise posted:

With SR3 I took the truck that they told you to use in the final mission and tried my damnedest to get the thing to loving work. Eventually I said gently caress it and used everything I had at my disposal in my contact list. It's good to be the boss.

The Boss' greatest power is her Buddy List.

Action Tortoise fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 25, 2013

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

At least not until the SDK comes out.

In fact, the modding community has no limits, They can rebuild it - Bigger, Faster, Smellier. Imagine a flying septic truck that can paint a city block in one blast. Perhaps they can even repurpose the animation for the Nuke upgrade somehow... :getin:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

Even the activities are open enough to player experimentation. The Blazin' missions' time limits have enough breathing room so that in case you mess up your path you can still right yourself and get gold.

My favourite bits of Blazin' were when the GPS told you to go along a particular route but you could actually just leap into the air and fly a shorter path directly to the next checkpoint.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bruceski posted:

And miss all those upgrade nodes on the way up? No way, hombre.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Well, yeah. But you CAN, is the point.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

And miss all those upgrade nodes on the way up? No way, hombre.

It's worth doing when it's part of a side mission and you just want to power through the quests. Quite easy to come back and clean up with the collectible finder.

BaconRelaxer
Sep 19, 2004

CJacobs posted:

No one poops in virtual reality.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Darrish posted:

No one poops in virtual reality.

I had to meet Ben for a mission once and he was hanging out in the ship's restroom. It made me really uncomfortable, but he acted like everything was normal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Those Zin bathroom thingies look kind of... communal.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
And a bit uncomfortable.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Three seashells :D

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Three seashells :D

:stare: Holy poo poo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SynthOrange posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo.

Oh geez. I haven't been looking closely enough at everything.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
You guys don't know about the three seashells?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

E: I'm stupid.

VVVV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWcEGDXOUg VVVV

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 25, 2013

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hank Morgan posted:

You guys don't know about the three seashells?

I don't! What is it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hank Morgan posted:

And a bit uncomfortable.

Could be worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

SynthOrange posted:

I liked the O-Ring from SR2. Why wouldn't you want to go around town in a car shaped like a hamburger basket with fries, or a chicken tender basket?

• Locked thread