Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

DNova posted:

Given the choice, I'll stick with not paying the 70-150% premium to buy electronics in Europe.

Nah man it's just... like the Latitude is just... 2100 € :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Some reaction to the TrackPoint changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXa0XzNvuZU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

buildmorefarms posted:

I'm in the market for a laptop that fits the following requirements:

- Small footprint/portable (but probably no smaller than a 13" display)
- Able to run two external displays (with the lid closed, just in case that makes a difference!) at resolutions of no bigger than 1920x1200
- Windows OS

This would be used by members of our executive board who are looking for a model they can plug into a dock while in the office, and rely solely on the two external monitors (my cursory understanding is that the Macbook Air can do this currently, but we need a Windows solution for most of them). They can then just take it off the dock when they're looking to work off-site, and go from there.

From what I can tell, not a whole lot of laptops support two external monitors - but if I'm completely off the mark in that regard then that'll certainly make things easier - thanks!

What about Dell's Latitude 14 7000 series.
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-e7440-ultrabook/pd

14" ultrabook, optional touch screen, docking connector and haswell.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

QuarkJets posted:

Good compared to my Dell Inspiron. It's like most cheap laptop screens: adequate. It's the same as a cheap HDTV, yeah

Some of the bars in my area have went to buying super-cheap HDTV's. Nothing like a baseball game having the field and players being different colors based on which TV they are on. Some are really, really bad.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

shrughes posted:

Some reaction to the TrackPoint changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXa0XzNvuZU

it's perfect

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I got a pair of X131e at work today and these little things look and feel indestructible.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

bull3964 posted:

What about Dell's Latitude 14 7000 series.
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-e7440-ultrabook/pd

14" ultrabook, optional touch screen, docking connector and haswell.

Something with a docking station is the correct answer here. Get a Dell that supports the E-series docking station (so either Latitude Exxxx or Latitude 7000 series) then get the docking station and plug everything into that. Just a single button press to take the laptop off the dock, no need to bother with plugging and unplugging so many cords each time.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Nitis posted:

I thought I'd throw this in here, since I was looking into the Lenovo Return Policy:

Lenovo Return Policy
Lenovo will accept the return or exchange of a Product in its original package for a full refund in cases of Lenovo error (*see gift card policy below). Returns allowed for any other reason will be subject to a restocking fee equal to 15% of the purchase amount (*see gift card policy below). All returns must be initiated within 21 days of the invoice date.

No such thing as a free ride.

Another thing, when referencing the "invoice date", I'm thinking this means the day you pay for your system, not the day it ships. This could mean, if you have a system that takes 22 days to arrive after payment, you may not be eligible to return it, under their return policy.

Unless I'm missing something here, that could be an issue for some folks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FISHMANPET posted:

Something with a docking station is the correct answer here. Get a Dell that supports the E-series docking station (so either Latitude Exxxx or Latitude 7000 series) then get the docking station and plug everything into that. Just a single button press to take the laptop off the dock, no need to bother with plugging and unplugging so many cords each time.

Yeah, my primary and only computer at work is an E5530 and a docking station that's hooked up to dual 21" widescreen monitors. It just works.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Does anyone know what the story with "Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 7260" is? Dell lists this as a network card option on the E7440 but I can't find any reference to it on Intel's site. I think it's a 2x2 a/g/n card but otherwise I have no idea if it's any good.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Is the T430 series expected to take a price dip once the T440/s are on shelves?

I picked up an X120e as a budget option in 2011, and while the little bugger has held up admirably, I never really intended for it to be a permanent solution, and it just doesn't hold up to my average usage very well at all. I'm pretty sure the poor thing contemplates suicide every time I play League of Legends on it.

Anyway, what I'm looking for isn't anything particularly exciting or out of the ordinary. In rough order of importance, the things I value are:

- Good keyboard/hardware in general (the one thing I will say about the X120e is that it's a joy to work on when the work is within its ability).
- :pcgaming:, by which I mean will run a typical modern game well on some level of settings. I'm cool running a game on bare minimum settings so long as it runs well, and I figure this level of performance will translate well enough to my other multimedia needs.
- Maybe nice speakers? I have good enough headphones, but it would be nice to be able to watch things with other people.

I'm so out of the hardware loop. I don't know what Haswell brings to the table, whether or not HD4000 is good enough for playing games, or if I really even care if my screen is ICS or not. My price range is in that $600 sweetspot, but the cheaper, the better in my book. I'm a simple guy with simple needs, and really all I demand from a laptop outside of good build quality is the ability to bring it to my friends' place and LAN with them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Philip Rivers posted:

There may be some discounts or clearance but I wouldn't count on it. They'll stop making the T430 and they'll just go away.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."

Philip Rivers posted:

I picked up an X120e as a budget option in 2011, and while the little bugger has held up admirably, I never really intended for it to be a permanent solution, and it just doesn't hold up to my average usage very well at all. I'm pretty sure the poor thing contemplates suicide every time I play League of Legends on it.

Anyway, what I'm looking for isn't anything particularly exciting or out of the ordinary. In rough order of importance, the things I value are:

- Good keyboard/hardware in general (the one thing I will say about the X120e is that it's a joy to work on when the work is within its ability).
- :pcgaming:, by which I mean will run a typical modern game well on some level of settings. I'm cool running a game on bare minimum settings so long as it runs well, and I figure this level of performance will translate well enough to my other multimedia needs.
- Maybe nice speakers? I have good enough headphones, but it would be nice to be able to watch things with other people.

I'm so out of the hardware loop. I don't know what Haswell brings to the table, whether or not HD4000 is good enough for playing games, or if I really even care if my screen is ICS or not. My price range is in that $600 sweetspot, but the cheaper, the better in my book. I'm a simple guy with simple needs, and really all I demand from a laptop outside of good build quality is the ability to bring it to my friends' place and LAN with them.

The general consensus seems to be a y410p/y510p. The y410p is a little out of your price range though, low 700's with the B&N link. Maybe you could find a refurb for 600ish. I just bought a y510p myself.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Socrates16 posted:

The general consensus seems to be a y410p/y510p. The y410p is a little out of your price range though, low 700's with the B&N link. Maybe you could find a refurb for 600ish. I just bought a y510p myself.

Anything goon preferred in a slightly lower price bracket? Like I said, I don't really need a world-beater in performance, just a quality build that runs well for the price.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Philip Rivers posted:

Anything goon preferred in a slightly lower price bracket? Like I said, I don't really need a world-beater in performance, just a quality build that runs well for the price.

What you're looking for is the same unicorn that many of us are. 28W TDP Haswell with integrated graphics. There haven't been any yet.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Philip Rivers posted:

T430 and similar will meet all your requirements for <$700. Go any lower and the options start getting really terrible.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Philip Rivers posted:

What you can also do is just hang on until late Oct/early Nov when the T440's start to take orders. At that point you'll likely be able to pick up a nice T430 off SA-Mart or the like from someone looking to upgrade. The ThinkPad warranties (except the accidental damage protection) go with the laptop, so as long as you get one with a good chunk of time left (I'll likely be looking to sell mine with ~2yrs warranty left) you should be able to easily find a solid machine for $600 or less.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nitis posted:

Another thing, when referencing the "invoice date", I'm thinking this means the day you pay for your system, not the day it ships. This could mean, if you have a system that takes 22 days to arrive after payment, you may not be eligible to return it, under their return policy.

Unless I'm missing something here, that could be an issue for some folks.

They don't invoice you until it ships, typically until after delivery. Particularly on BTO options. They didn't invoice out my purchase order until the next business day after I took delivery of my x230.

purchase order != invoice

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
The Dell Inspirion 7000 models are now available on Dell's site. Specifically, I am considering the Inspiron 14 7000. I would prefer a Thinkpad T440s but I want to have a new laptop before a big business trip in November. I also would prefer a 37W/47W CPU but what the hell, I can't wait forever.

Does anyone have the repair manual for the Inspiron 14 7000 (7437)? I'd specifically like to know if the memory is soldered on, and if an MSATA SSD can be added in addition to the rotational drive. I'm a developer and I have a hundred++ gigs of virtual machines I carry around ('cloud' generally isn't an option when I'm on the road) so I need a decent amount of slow storage in addition to fast.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 26, 2013

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
So, I'm just looking to replace the power supply and battery on my ol' Asus G60VX. The power supply is damaged and needs to be replaced, but is still working in the meantime, but the battery is entirely dead. My dilemma is mostly regarding the battery. The power supply can still be ordered from Asus, so if worse comes to worse, I can just pay that premium. But with the battery that's not an option.

I've been trying to shop around online, but the problem is that deceptive marketing seems to be really, really common in the aftermarket. Often the manufacturer is obscured or just plain unknown on many sites, and there isn't much guidance out there. Getting an Asus original battery seems very difficult, due to the proliferation of sites that use deceptive labeling or descriptions. Simply put, are there any sites or brands I should look to for battery replacement? I'm mainly concerned about reliability - price is a factor, but I mainly want to have some assurance I'm getting a good, new battery that'll last me another 500 charges or so.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

CapnBry posted:

The Dell Inspirion 7000 models are now available on Dell's site. Specifically, I am considering the Inspiron 14 7000. I would prefer a Thinkpad T440s but I want to have a new laptop before a big business trip in November. I also would prefer a 37W/47W CPU but what the hell, I can't wait forever.

Does anyone have the repair manual for the Inspiron 14 7000 (7437)? I'd specifically like to know if the memory is soldered on, and if an MSATA SSD can be added in addition to the rotational drive. I'm a developer and I have a hundred++ gigs of virtual machines I carry around ('cloud' generally isn't an option when I'm on the road) so I need a decent amount of slow storage in addition to fast.

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-14-7437_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf
It doesn't give directions for replacing the RAM.

Also:
http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-14-7437_Reference%20Guide_en-us.pdf
This says that "NOTE: The memory in your computer is integrated on the system board"

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I need to buy a dozen laptops that will only be used for remote desktop and powerpoint presentations. ~10-13" and decent durability is all I want.

I was kind of considering just getting a bunch of Surface RTs, is there any reason not to?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

CapnBry posted:

Ugh, the Inspiron 15 7000 looked perfect for my mom until the poo poo screen resolution.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I need to buy a dozen laptops that will only be used for remote desktop and powerpoint presentations. ~10-13" and decent durability is all I want.

I was kind of considering just getting a bunch of Surface RTs, is there any reason not to?

If you're going to be doing presentations, you may want to consult with your sales or presentation department on their needs. Sales guys want a fancy laptop, showing up with a high end laptop like an apple makes a big statement and helps them make a sale. Depending on the presentation, you may want to consider an Apple.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You might also go with something like a Lenovo Helix, they are very flashy. Though I don't know how well they would fit your needs and or fit into your budget as they start at $1,500 a piece.

The tablet itself has these ports 1
MiniDisplayPort
1 USB 2.0
1 SIM card slot
3.5mm Combo Jack Headphone/MIC

The keyboard dock has these
1 MiniDisplayPort
2 USB 3.0

Though Mini-DP might not be all at useful for any of them.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Honestly? Because one or more of your users at some point will decide they need full Office or Chrome or some other x86 application and won't be able to fathom why they can't have it. Depending on your environment the ability to re-image them may be a plus also, though I don't know how RT is for malware right now or how effectively it can be locked down.

Personally I think I'd look for cheap netbooks (or whatever they're calling their equivalent now) even if the build quality is poor, as at that quantity it may make more sense to get one or two extra and just replace any that break. Maybe something like one of these? I don't know what the Eee PC's reputation for holding up to punishment is, but it's got a high score on Amazon at least.

Edit: Whoops, didn't realize that was just one used/refurbished item and not anything new; but there are a few laptops in the 350-450 price range that may fit the bill on Amazon in any case.

vv I was specifically thinking of cheap (Surface RT-priced) things, if they want to spend more than that certainly there are lots of options.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 26, 2013

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Smello posted:

Honestly? Because one or more of your users at some point will decide they need full Office or Chrome or some other x86 application and won't be able to fathom why they can't have it. Depending on your environment the ability to re-image them may be a plus also, though I don't know how RT is for malware right now or how effectively it can be locked down.

Personally I think I'd look for cheap netbooks (or whatever they're calling their equivalent now) even if the build quality is poor, as at that quantity it may make more sense to get one or two extra and just replace any that break. Maybe something like one of these? I don't know what the Eee PC's reputation for holding up to punishment is, but it's got a high score on Amazon at least.

What about the Lenovo Yoga 11s? The base model is $649.00 and comes with an SSD. They're only 3 pounds.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Naffer posted:

What about the Lenovo Yoga 11s? The base model is $649.00 and comes with an SSD. They're only 3 pounds.

The nice thing about the Yoga is that when it's being used in anything other than Clamshell(aka regular laptop mode) the keyboard automatically shuts off.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Anyone who's not too sure about dropping $700 on last year's Thinkpads/Ideapads while also unsure that a Chromebook would suffice their needs can sleep easy and purchase this.

Battery life is first on anybody's laptop priorities list, and apparently this Dell will really deliver. Again, I'm going to recommend this laptop to anyone who just simply doesn't want to pay up into MacBook price ranges- that's the whole point of the Windows line. Unfortunately, there is a touchscreen on this laptop, but I'm sure it does pretty much everything you might want to do on a Windows machine.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Smello posted:

They're only going to be used in boardrooms at a bunch of locations for internal presentations, so having the "prestige" of a fancy macbook isn't a concern, and nobody will need any software on it other than powerpoint and maybe something that can display pdfs.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
Is there a huge gaming performance difference between an i3 3227u and an i5 3337u? What about other performance?

Specifically I am looking at a u410 with a geforce 710m, and it comes with either.

Basically just for bioshock infinite fps, most my games are older.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

sports posted:

Anyone who's not too sure about dropping $700 on last year's Thinkpads/Ideapads while also unsure that a Chromebook would suffice their needs can sleep easy and purchase this.

Battery life is first on anybody's laptop priorities list, and apparently this Dell will really deliver.
I wouldn't say it's first, and having 6 hours is probably good enough for most people. I definitely wouldn't say it's important enough to spend $380 on that lovely compromise that will probably fall apart in a year.

p.s. I'm imagining someone angrily typing up your title text on a 17.3" gaming laptop (plugged into a wall, of course) and thinking "heh, this'll show him!"

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

p.s. I'm imagining someone angrily typing up your title text on a 17.3" gaming laptop (plugged into a wall, of course) and thinking "heh, this'll show him!"

In the part of his post you removed from the quote he basically said that the only reason people by anything with Windows on it is because they can't afford a Mac.

I think the title's deserved.

vv He also said "that's the whole point of the Windows line", but maybe I misinterpreted that. Anyway it's not worth making GBS threads up the thread any further over.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 26, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Smello posted:

In the part of his post you removed from the quote he basically said that the only reason people by anything with Windows on it is because they can't afford a Mac.

He owns a ThinkPad and also said "MacBook price ranges," not specifically Macs.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

They're only going to be used in boardrooms at a bunch of locations for internal presentations, so having the "prestige" of a fancy macbook isn't a concern, and nobody will need any software on it other than powerpoint and maybe something that can display pdfs.

Durable and 12" in a corporate environment sounds like the brief for a Thinkpad x230. I don't know exactly how ordering works for businesses, but even if you're buying just 10 you might be able to negotiate or something.

Also what kind of projectors are they? If they're still VGA, then the Surface RT is already out.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
You're a god. Here's the answer to both my questions. mSATA is on the bottom of the motherboard but there is one. And along the top you see the RAM soldered on.

That should be good enough for me. I've been waiting since February to get a new laptop, expecting after the Haswell release there would be a glut of awesome haswell ultrabooks. At this point I'm willing to make so many compromises I'm beginning to feel like some sort of drug addict. It's ok it doesn't have a full TDP CPU... or an IPS display... or 16GB of RAM... or a clitmouse... EDIT: or gigabit ethernet apparently...

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 26, 2013

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Smello posted:

vv He also said "that's the whole point of the Windows line", but maybe I misinterpreted that. Anyway it's not worth making GBS threads up the thread any further over.

I only call it "MacBook price ranges" because they set the standard at that price point- and the industry follows suit.

What I'm saying is that there are a ton of very good computers with Windows on them- provided they cost less than the Apple option. So far, that trade-off meant issue with QC or customer service- but now it seems that a lot of PC manufacturers notice that they're trying to compete with Apple in a price range that represents a miniscule part of the market.

Dell has been good to put real thought into creating really really nice, cheap laptops. They understand that the money is where the market is wide open, and the market happens to be wide open (and not Apple-cornered) in the sub $1000 price range.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Windows RT doesn't support Domains. Your System Admins will most like hate you if you buy a computer they can't connect to the domain. If these presentations are going to be shown on the laptops screen and not a projectors I would say x230 with a i3 and the IPS screen upgrade would be about perfect. If they are just going to be hooked up to a projector or TV you could get away with x131e.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
In depth mobile processor question:

The i5-3230m and 3380m were both released earlier this year. The 3380m seems to be the top tier mobile Ivy-i5 and the 3230m is the respectable lower tier. They will probably stay that way since Haswell is close to being deployed.

Lenovo charges +$105 to step from one to the other.

Does anyone here have anecdotal knowledge of what stress the 3230m can handle? I'm expecting to do coding and audio-editing using the machine, so I'd like to have something that doesn't make me smack myself repeatedly. I have a beefy desktop to back me up on the more heavy-duty work, but I am not always home and don't want that to affect my ability to do things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

sports posted:

It only has one monitor output. The X202E has two.