Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Oh poo poo, I forgot about The Room, I remember really wanting to play that a few months back when I didn't have a smartphone, thanks for the reminder.

Cook serve delicious looks fun too, I saw the giant bomb quick look ages ago and thought it looked great.

I totally agree with you in terms of design for mobile btw, you've gotta design for the strengths of the platform instead of shoehorning fake touch analogue controls onto a tiny screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Just realized you mnetioned iPhone in your post. Cook, Serve, Delicious may be iPad only and the room has a "pocket" edition that's different from the iPad version.

10000000 is the bees knees though.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I had a bit of fun with it but remember to stock potions. Game's got permadeath, you lose everything when you die.

Yeeeaaah, I had almost enough gold to unlock the final area, then got killed by a random boss I was farming. :smith: I was SURE I had potions left.

Yarrington posted:

Heroes of Loot is ugly boring garbage that's barely a game. I was under the impression that it was a cool roguelike dungeon crawler. Don't be like me and light two dollars on fire because you saw loads of rave reviews from various places

Every word of this mirrors my thoughts on Heroes of Loot, with changes bolded. It's boring as poo poo. Just run around holding down the attack button. That is literally all you do. No idea why so many people seem to think it's awesome fun.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 25, 2013

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

cat doter posted:

Aren't dedicated mobile game review joints generally garbage? I'm genuinely asking because I've owned an iPhone all of a week.

Speaking of that, what games should I try if I'm after proper rear end games, not time management f2p garbage? I hesitate to use the term but I guess "core games" are what I want. I'm also extremely cheap so I guess anything free to $5 or so would be what I'm after.
I had just made up this list for another games thread the other day but here's the things I have on my iPad at the moment that I certainly don't regret and I doubt I paid $50 for the 30+ games:

Classic CRPG: Avadon, Avernum: Escape from the Pit
Action RPG: Bastion, Bard's Tale, Horn (seemed ok, haven't played much)
JRPG: Final Fantasy Tactics: WOTL, Dragon Fantasy, Cthulhu Saves the World
Strategy: Ravenmark
Action: GTA Chinatown Wars, Mirror's Edge, Space Miner HD, Mage Gauntlet, Smash Cops, Super Monsters Ate My Condo
Point-and-click Adventure: Broken Sword 1 & 2, Beneath a Steel Sky, McPixel, Superbrothers: Swords & Sworcery, King of Dragon Pass, Walking Dead
Puzzle: Puzzle Agent 1 & 2, Spirits, Waking Mars, Spider: Secret of Bryce Manor, Little Inferno, World of Goo
Metroidvania: Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Racing/Space: Real Racing 2 (haven't tried 3), Asphalt 6 (haven't tried 7 or 8), Galaxy on Fire 2, Air Mail

Only the CRPGs (and Little Inferno?) are strictly iPad-only. There's a number of those that are available on other platforms but they all do pretty well on iPhone; I actually prefer any game with tilt steering on iPhone over iPad. Only Shantae and Space Miner require virtual d-pads in the traditional sense, but the pace of both games make it tolerable. Virtual d-pads are options in several other games but not mandatory.

For the truly iPhone-original games, Spider and Waking Mars are both fantastic places to start and while Superbrothers is polarizing, it's really something on its own. Ravenmark is another original that gets rave reviews in this thread pretty much since its release. World of Goo, King of Dragon Pass and FFT:WOTL are also great ports engineered to work well on iOS and my experience with them on iPhone has been really great. All of the above have gone either free or on sale for under $5 (except FFT:WOTL) as well.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

foutre posted:

I've heard good things about the Kairosoft games, but it's really unclear to me which one to get. I like the basic idea of managing a little operation, but I'd like something beyond that as well. I'm just not sure which one has the coolest gimmick. Any suggestions?

In this order: Game Dev Story, Grand Prix Story, Epic Astro Story or Dungeon Village (very similar but also different enough to warrant playing both), Pocket League, then maybe Mega Mall.

I prefer those more active games to the city building grid based games like Edo Towns, Hot Springs, etc.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Sock The Great posted:

Just realized you mnetioned iPhone in your post. Cook, Serve, Delicious may be iPad only and the room has a "pocket" edition that's different from the iPad version.

10000000 is the bees knees though.

Yeah I had a look on the App Store and cook, serve, delicious doesn't appear to be there.

Kenny Logins posted:

I had just made up this list for another games thread the other day but here's the things I have on my iPad at the moment that I certainly don't regret and I doubt I paid $50 for the 30+ games:

Classic CRPG: Avadon, Avernum: Escape from the Pit
Action RPG: Bastion, Bard's Tale, Horn (seemed ok, haven't played much)
JRPG: Final Fantasy Tactics: WOTL, Dragon Fantasy, Cthulhu Saves the World
Strategy: Ravenmark
Action: GTA Chinatown Wars, Mirror's Edge, Space Miner HD, Mage Gauntlet, Smash Cops, Super Monsters Ate My Condo
Point-and-click Adventure: Broken Sword 1 & 2, Beneath a Steel Sky, McPixel, Superbrothers: Swords & Sworcery, King of Dragon Pass, Walking Dead
Puzzle: Puzzle Agent 1 & 2, Spirits, Waking Mars, Spider: Secret of Bryce Manor, Little Inferno, World of Goo
Metroidvania: Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Racing/Space: Real Racing 2 (haven't tried 3), Asphalt 6 (haven't tried 7 or 8), Galaxy on Fire 2, Air Mail

Only the CRPGs (and Little Inferno?) are strictly iPad-only. There's a number of those that are available on other platforms but they all do pretty well on iPhone; I actually prefer any game with tilt steering on iPhone over iPad. Only Shantae and Space Miner require virtual d-pads in the traditional sense, but the pace of both games make it tolerable. Virtual d-pads are options in several other games but not mandatory.

For the truly iPhone-original games, Spider and Waking Mars are both fantastic places to start and while Superbrothers is polarizing, it's really something on its own. Ravenmark is another original that gets rave reviews in this thread pretty much since its release. World of Goo, King of Dragon Pass and FFT:WOTL are also great ports engineered to work well on iOS and my experience with them on iPhone has been really great. All of the above have gone either free or on sale for under $5 (except FFT:WOTL) as well.

Well this a lot to look through and I've got a bunch of these games on other platforms, but I'll check out as much as I can. I can definitely see why some people abandon dedicated handhelds for phones, there's a lot of great stuff out there.

Edit: funnily enough I poster this on my phone and copy/pasting isn't working out so well.

Edit again: so unless I'm wrong, it looks like the reviews and ratings in the App Store are localised to your region, so it seems I'm only seeing reviews for games from other Australians. Normally this would be fine but for smaller/ less popular stuff there's no reviews or ratings at all. I know most people are retarded in these user reviews but I'd at least like a gauge.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 25, 2013

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Like deck-building games? Don't know what one is? You should get Ascension. So should anybody that has been on the fence about it, for that matter, because it has gone free and the online versus community is very active. I've never had a problem finding a game since I got the thing. The first set of cards is included with the free game and plenty of people play games online with just the base set.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I updated this post (2nd non-op post in the thread on first page) and it has all of the coolest games I've played through and am still playing today

DNK posted:

DNK's Best Of:

I've beaten all of these games completely. There are tons of iOS games that are fun to play but just don't hold you. These held me all the way to the end.
I could add in another category called "Timer Grinders", but I find that I play those for about a week and then drop them forever. I'm currently playing through Pocket Trains (and loving it! Great job Nimblebit!) but once I get tired of it, I don't think I'll come back. It's got far more gameplay elements than Tiny Tower and is some kind of intangible puzzler, but not in a "Let's do this again!" way.

DNK fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 25, 2013

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

DNK posted:

I updated this post (2nd non-op post in the thread on first page) and it has all of the coolest games I've played through and am still playing today
Can't really see the appeal of Gunman Clive after playing the first level. Anything I'm not getting?

Also Swordigo was really good but once you're done I would say there's not much replay value. Not that there needs to be.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

Can't really see the appeal of Gunman Clive after playing the first level. Anything I'm not getting?

Also Swordigo was really good but once you're done I would say there's not much replay value. Not that there needs to be.

The game gets pretty crazy in the later levels and you can actually beat it in under ~3 hours. By crazy, I mean the actual mechanics of platforming and defeating enemies changes. There is also a large setting shift where it completely drops its Western pretense. I loved the minimalistic graphical style as well as the game's ability to tell a story without dialogue.

It's not easy, which is refreshing after playing 100s of impossible-to-lose hand holding "buy IAP to win faster"-types, but it's also not impossible. It's challenging! A challenging platformer that has a discrete ending! Who'da thunk?

I think it's a very solid Game with a capital G.

DNK fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 25, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
y'all are forgetting the best game

Enviro-Bear 2010

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Sadly ipad exclusive, but it is criminal that frozen synapse is nowhere in those lists.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bummey posted:

In this order: Game Dev Story, Grand Prix Story, Epic Astro Story or Dungeon Village (very similar but also different enough to warrant playing both), Pocket League, then maybe Mega Mall.

I prefer those more active games to the city building grid based games like Edo Towns, Hot Springs, etc.

I'm seconding this list; Game Dev Story and Dungeon Village story are both pretty excellent, but I think Game Dev is probably still the best balance of intuitive/baffling they have put out. It doesn't always make the most sense, but by your second or third playthrough you will be breaking it over your knee. Dungeon Village story is a bit of a longer game, and has much more of a slot machine factor as you send your heroes down to loot the dungeons.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

$16 for final fantasy tactics is kinda crazy, right? I mean, not even in a "this is more than a typical underpriced iOS game", it's just straight up expensive.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Infinity Blade 3 has some (IMO really inoffensive) timer elements but it's about as core/flagship of an iOS game as they get.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

You guys are forgetting the best puzzle game for the iOS, ghost tricks. That game is amazing in every way, except for that one level.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
So Pocket Trains is coming out today. How similar is this to Pocket Planes exactly? Planes was probably the NB game I played the least. I think I remember the reason being that getting the bigger planes actually limited the routes you got which turned me off a bit. I like the "everything gets bigger and better the more you play" model like in Tiny Tower.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

goferchan posted:

Infinity Blade 3 has some (IMO really inoffensive) timer elements but it's about as core/flagship of an iOS game as they get.

To be honest I didn't use any of the timer stuff I made. The story line daggers you get is enough for the girl to beat the game. Potions never really helped, besides a random +101 attack I found. You really just need to buy the best dual weapon you can for the guy and make sure you get his super moves faster ability. With a good dual weapon you can take off about a 1/3-1/4 of the bosses hp each break. Being able to do 2 super moves in a boss battles meant a lot less work.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

For those interested: do not start out with infinity blade 1.

It's got the least content (for about the same cost) and the gesture detection gives you significantly less leeway than the other two.
2 gives you more to explore (which is fairly fun by my own reckoning, at least but 3 has the least grind to beat it (but sadly barely any optional content... yet).

They're admittedly repetitive and leaning toward grindy (though not even close to the worst the appstore has to offer) but they're pretty solid fun for the most part if you enjoy the flow of the combat. Also I haven't seen another iOS game that comes close to beating the visuals.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

The most frustrating thing about Battle Camp is that I'm pretty sure it's got a really good game buried somewhere under the desperate, transparent shilling for more and more of your money. And the constant reminders that you should post about every single action to all your friends on facebook.

But seriously, it looks like the cost difference between a monster box in PAD and a monster box in Battle Camp is literally almost(?) a factor of 20 to 1 now.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

DNK posted:

I could add in another category called "Timer Grinders", but I find that I play those for about a week and then drop them forever. I'm currently playing through Pocket Trains (and loving it! Great job Nimblebit!) but once I get tired of it, I don't think I'll come back. It's got far more gameplay elements than Tiny Tower and is some kind of intangible puzzler, but not in a "Let's do this again!" way.

As far as bizzare games go, another is one-time thread favorite Alpaca Evolution, which just had a new update drop last week. Although it could also end up in the "Timer" list, too.

I would add for people who like sports or just tapping games is New Star Soccer. It is one of the best "Play for five minutes!...or three hours, whatever" games I have enjoyed on iOS.

(I know you were just talking about games that you are currently playing or have enjoyed, but since there was a person asking for recomendations recently I thought I'd piggy back and say "Agree with this list, here are two more someone just getting into things might like")

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Here are the rest of our Pocket Trains promo codes if anyone can't wait until midnight in their respective time zones.

HJJF6X6JYMHJ
9RX3EMYXWFAW
4R4JXTAYJ4NX
KJHRFXFX7EFP
WY694YAANWHT
YFJNE3RHRWNN
HMPW7NXNFJWF
3WPPKPWAHFNX
LJLR7E77H4XF
4RJFKJLXA6AT
KH9AL3YEN99J

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug
I took 3WPPKPWAHFNX, thanks!!

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

I am Ron Pearlman's illigitimate love child.
I took 9RX3EMYXWFAW. Thank you!

jungn
Mar 19, 2012
I just grabbed 4R4JXTAYJ4NX thanks for ruining my productivity for the afternoon!

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

jerkstore77 posted:

So Pocket Trains is coming out today. How similar is this to Pocket Planes exactly? Planes was probably the NB game I played the least. I think I remember the reason being that getting the bigger planes actually limited the routes you got which turned me off a bit. I like the "everything gets bigger and better the more you play" model like in Tiny Tower.

Nimblebet, let me know if this is kosher to say or not.

You're never limited by getting new train engines, but the core experience remains pretty similar to pocket planes - the "optimal" design is again a long route with hubs at set intervals with jobs being fed into and laid over there, with those jobs being baton passed from hub to hub. There's a lot of small tweaks to address some problems with Pocket Planes:

- Jobs never refresh and there's no "full load to a single destination" bonus either, so you aren't watching the timer tick down and hoping for a single job to get that bonus (there's also a single kind of load - no passenger vs cargo dilemmas).
- You acquire train parts by delivering a special kind kind of cargo, which you then acquire (like the other two currencies, bux/coins) and then opening it, getting a random train part based on your level, instead of waiting for that timer to refresh in the Pocket Plane store to see what new plane parts are for sale.
- No more Flightcrew stuff, instead your daily event is always in your railroad network (as opposed to in Pocket Planes when it could be in a continent you had no access to)
- There's a fuel mechanic - trains can only be traveling for so long before they need to refuel - you can either wait or pay bux. This sounds like a IAP-impetus but bux jobs seem to occur more frequently and for way more cash than in Pocket Planes. Also the refuel cost is pretty small - I usually find myself in an abundance of bux.

I'm enjoying it but I enjoyed Pocket Planes a decent amount too. It's obviously no cost to you (besides time) to try it out but if you did not enjoy Pocket Planes I don't see why you'd enjoy much of Tiny Trains.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 25, 2013

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
I took YFJNE3RHRWNN thanks !
HMPW7NXNFJWF was already taken for you guys trying the other ones.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Looks like all the codes have been redeemed.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

methamphetamine posted:

You don't want trophies. The amount of gold that people have is only slightly higher between 1400 and 2000 and a hell of a lot easier to grab at 1400. Plus you won't get constantly thrashed by high level armies.

At the 1400 level I recommend mass minions/balloons. Completely crushes anyone with low level wizard towers.

That sounds really interesting. I might slum down to that level and try it out. What should the troop breakdown be for 200 units?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Holy crap The Room is so good, 99c is an absolutely insane price to pay for it. I hate that iOS has driven down the price of games that actually deserve way more of your money. Seriously, everyone here that doesn't have it, buy it. Even if you don't like it it's only a buck for Christ sake.

I can just tell a lot of love and care went in to that game and it's not some clone or iap laden game so the developers deserve a lotta kudos.

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

Colbear posted:

The most frustrating thing about Battle Camp is that I'm pretty sure it's got a really good game buried somewhere under the desperate, transparent shilling for more and more of your money. And the constant reminders that you should post about every single action to all your friends on facebook.

But seriously, it looks like the cost difference between a monster box in PAD and a monster box in Battle Camp is literally almost(?) a factor of 20 to 1 now.

Don't forget that the cost to add more storage doubles every time you buy more. (Which they don't tell you before hand.)

Black Bo[X] fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 25, 2013

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Shwqa posted:

To be honest I didn't use any of the timer stuff I made. The story line daggers you get is enough for the girl to beat the game. Potions never really helped, besides a random +101 attack I found. You really just need to buy the best dual weapon you can for the guy and make sure you get his super moves faster ability. With a good dual weapon you can take off about a 1/3-1/4 of the bosses hp each break. Being able to do 2 super moves in a boss battles meant a lot less work.

I used exclusively heavy weapons for both and I thought THAT was the objectively best way to go, it's cool that multiple ways are apparently viable. And yeah the timer stuff is no big deal, especially once you get the crafting upgrades that make them cheaper/faster/give you multiple slots. Gems and potions both go really quickly, Blacksmith is nice for quality-of-life but if you're playing well you get a steady enough stream of cash and weapon drops that you never HAVE to use him to upgrade stuff. Also the game LOADS you up with the second IAP currency, but the flow does slow down a little bit after you do most of the easy achievements. I reccomend hoarding it and not blowing it on small/medium keys, they show up in the wild often enough and eventually Isa gets abilities that allow her to open small & medium chests without them.

Edit: and yeah potions mostly seem ignorable but don't sleep on gems, I ended up combining poo poo until I got a hexagonal one that gives like +140% extra XP every fight. That poo poo is no joke, after starting my second play through I was gaining like 2 levels per fight for a while.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 25, 2013

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

jerkstore77 posted:

Quite similar, but is trains. It makes sense in Pocket Planes - airlines save larger planes for larger cities, and then break them up into regional planes after that. The limiting factor that you have to work around this time is track - cities are connected through tracks, and only one train can claim a specific route at the same time. You pay to change the route on a track, so it still has a decent amount of passing off cargo at cities where routes connect.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Game recommendations for someone:

Loves:
Tiny Tower
Happy Street
Peggle

Did NOT like:
PvZ
The Sims
Pocket Planes
Anything with a timer

Basically things that are cute, easy, not too strategic (and not bullshit IAP-fests). I don't think the Kairosoft games would be a good fit.

edit: are any Kairosoft games iPhone 5 res?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 25, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

cat doter posted:

$16 for final fantasy tactics is kinda crazy, right? I mean, not even in a "this is more than a typical underpriced iOS game", it's just straight up expensive.

I don't think so. Even though I'm not crazy about it, it's an insanely long game with tons of depth. I think we're too used to .99 games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
FFT is still worth the $60 I paid for it in 1998.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

Game recommendations for someone:

Loves:
Tiny Tower
Happy Street
Peggle

Did NOT like:
PvZ
The Sims
Pocket Planes
Anything with a timer

Basically things that are cute, easy, not too strategic (and not bullshit IAP-fests). I don't think the Kairosoft games would be a good fit.

Your friend likes Tiny Tower and Happy Street, but not games with a timer? Uh...

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I mean like a turn timer or something that takes a decision under a timer. She panics under pressure. There's no consequence for not doing something in Happy Street, like there might be in PvZ.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I mean like a turn timer or something that takes a decision under a timer. She panics under pressure. There's no consequence for not doing something in Happy Street, like there might be in PvZ.

I'd suggest TripleTown - free to download and play. The full (unlimited moves) version, if you dig it, is 99 cents, I think, and well worth it IMO.

http://appshopper.com/games/triple-town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Bummey posted:

words on kairosoft

deadly_pudding posted:

words on kairosoft

Thanks a lot! I think I'll go for Game Dev Story for now, try out Astro light, and maybe get Dungeon Village if I end up liking them.

On an unrelated note, has anyone played Rymdkapsel (http://appshopper.com/games/rymdkapsel)? The description sounds intriguing, but I'd love people's takes on whether or not it's actually fun.

• Locked thread