Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Can anyone recommend some Famicom games that are appreciably different from their NES counterparts? Or some Famicom Disk System games that aren't in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

What the hell do these potentiomoters on the back of the model 1 Sega CD drive do exactly?

(seriously though please someone tell me what those pots are for)

Probably the exact same thing similar looking variable resistor pots in the Duo do: each controls some form of adjustment for the CD's laser. I don't know what each individually does, but on the Duo one is for poo poo like the VCO, focus offset, track gain (error correction), focus gain, etc. lovely early CD technology :v:

I know well because of all the gosh darn hours I spent adjusting them on mine.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

All those features, but can it move gyroscopes? Advantage: R.O.B.

McCracAttack posted:

Can anyone recommend some Famicom games that are appreciably different from their NES counterparts? Or some Famicom Disk System games that aren't in the OP?

The most interesting version differences to me (besides the seven or eight obvious games that used specialized hardware on the Famicom) are the games where one region got to be the beta tester and the other got the refined version. Sometimes they made things easier, sometimes harder, depending on the feedback from players. Battletoads and Ninja Gaiden 3 are two good examples of this.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 25, 2013

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Are there any goons in Japan that can help me buy something retrogame related from yahoo auctions and ship it to me in the US?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

(seriously though please someone tell me what those pots are for)

man now i wanna be rich and buy me a sega robot

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

absolutely anything posted:

man now i wanna be rich and buy me a sega robot

I want to make it fight the robot from Rocky

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAULIE
I WILL FIGHT THE SEGA ROBOT FOR YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

in_absentia posted:

I'd also like to add Sin and Punishment: Star Successor to this list, I'm not sure how others feel, but I bought a Wii specifically for this game. The N64 game is badass as well! I like playing it in Wii Zapper mode.

I didn't mention S&P2 or any of the FPS games because they don't really work with most of the gun shells out there, but yeah, great game.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ACID POLICE posted:

Probably the exact same thing similar looking variable resistor pots in the Duo do: each controls some form of adjustment for the CD's laser. I don't know what each individually does, but on the Duo one is for poo poo like the VCO, focus offset, track gain (error correction), focus gain, etc. lovely early CD technology :v:

I know well because of all the gosh darn hours I spent adjusting them on mine.

Thanks! I am trying to get this Sega CD model 1 working again without buying a new laser. I've replaced so many parts in this thing it's pretty much a completely different Sega CD now and I'd rather not buy something else (something something sunken cost fallacy).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

al-azad posted:

Target Terror is trash but it's awesome trash and I love FMV games.

It would be nice if Sega gave us CONFIDENTIAL MISSION because, you know, it's not like the Wii or PS3 with Move isn't a good platform. And what about Jurassic Park??? C'mon, Sega, you're sitting on a gold mine of memorable arcade classics.

I was totally expecting all sorts of Sega lightgun games on Wii. They ported Ghost Squad, why not Rambo? Its practically the same thing!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

I don't know what you mean by appreciably. Aside from graphical changes like Doki Doki Panic or Zombie Nation, you're not going to find many radically different games. Only thing that comes to mind is Magical Kids Doropie/Krion Conquest. For whatever reason Japanese devs thought Americans were super hardcore in the 80s and they completely removed the continue feature and all the anime cutscenes. It's a generic Mega Man ripoff but Doropie is at least playable.

If you go to the SNES, The Jetsons is actually a reskin of a game based around a vacuum. Remember that weird Ghostbusters Gameboy game with the bombs and lightsaber? That's a reskin of a Garfield game.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

McCracAttack posted:

It depends on what you define as appreciably different. Gameplay differences are rare; aesthetic differences are common.

A large number of Famicom games had significantly better music; the Famicom allowed cartridges to contain on-cart audio hardware and mix their own sound. There's a pretty extensive list here of carts that do this. In many cases, it's just minor changes; however, in some cases, the soundtracks are significantly improved. The most famous examples of expansion audio that was lost during the transition to NES are, IMO:
* Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania 3)
* Rolling Thunder
* Gimmick!
* Metroid

(Also, if you want to collect Japanese-only FC carts with fantastic soundtracks, check out Lagrange Point and Madara.)

Slightly less common are cartridges that had additional graphical effects -- usually, because the cart used a mapper with IRQ counting in Japan to do scanline effects, but used a different mapper (or no mapper) in the US release for cost savings. Examples:
* Famicom Contra has more detailed backgrounds
* NES Jackal has significantly larger levels than the FDS version

In many games, artwork changes (or even large-scale thematic changes) were done as part of the translation process. Famous examples:
* Doki Doki Panic! being converted to a Mario theme and released as SMB2
* All Nazi references being removed from Bionic Commando (it used to be literally about a revived Hitler)
* NES World Cup was originally a Kunio-kun game with an actual storyline
* Shatterhand was originally a Solbrain game; artwork was changed, and one level is entirely new
* Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy had significant changes in translation
* Contra lost the between-level cutscenes when it came to NES, in addition to the crappier graphics

There's relatively few games with straight up gameplay changes. A few games have tweaked difficulty levels, in terms of damage-per-hit and enemy HP and what not. The main one that's guilty here is the Castlevania series -- the disk versions allow you to save games, and Akumajou Densetsu has different power up sets and slightly different enemies from Castlevania 3 (and is slightly easier, truth be told).

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 26, 2013

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Wow, thank you all for the awesome answers to my NES/Famicom question. This was precisely the sort of info I was looking for.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
As far as I know, Shatterhand was the other way around - it was an original game with a license slapped on for the JP release.

Kabuki Quantum Fighter was kinda the same; it was an original game that was really loosely retrofitted as a tie-in for some Japanese movie, and then they stripped all the movie refs out again for the US version.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Yo noid. Don't remember the name of the japanese counterpart. And bug's bunny birthday blowout was a roger rabbit game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

cosmicjim posted:

Yo noid. Don't remember the name of the japanese counterpart. And bug's bunny birthday blowout was a roger rabbit game.

It was Kamen no Ninja Hanamaru.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mousecapade#Differences_between_Japanese_and_North_American_versions

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Maniac Mansion has an entirely different port in Japan. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ullerrm posted:

There's relatively few games with straight up gameplay changes. A few games have tweaked difficulty levels, in terms of damage-per-hit and enemy HP and what not. The main one that's guilty here is the Castlevania series -- the disk versions allow you to save games, and Akumajou Densetsu has different power up sets and slightly different enemies from Castlevania 3 (and is slightly easier, truth be told).

The playground version of why this happened is "Japanese companies thought Americans couldn't play their superhard games." The reality is that we usually got versions where they were trying to improve things to smooth out the difficulty curve. At least until some publishers started cranking up the difficulty to counter the rental market. :v:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

al-azad posted:

I don't know what you mean by appreciably. Aside from graphical changes like Doki Doki Panic or Zombie Nation, you're not going to find many radically different games. Only thing that comes to mind is Magical Kids Doropie/Krion Conquest. For whatever reason Japanese devs thought Americans were super hardcore in the 80s and they completely removed the continue feature and all the anime cutscenes. It's a generic Mega Man ripoff but Doropie is at least playable.

If you go to the SNES, The Jetsons is actually a reskin of a game based around a vacuum. Remember that weird Ghostbusters Gameboy game with the bombs and lightsaber? That's a reskin of a Garfield game.

WRONG

Some games that are majorly different:
Excitebike FDS (only version that can save without a tape adapter)
Ice Climber FDS (actually a port of Vs Ice Climber, provides a level select)
Rush 'n Attack (Green Beret) (different game mechanics and hidden areas that don't exist in the us version)
Anything Lolo (Japan didn't get the US games, they're entirely different)
Hao-kun no Fushigi na Tabi is completely different from the US counterpart

there are others but they escape me right now

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

The playground version of why this happened is "Japanese companies thought Americans couldn't play their superhard games." The reality is that we usually got versions where they were trying to improve things to smooth out the difficulty curve. At least until some publishers started cranking up the difficulty to counter the rental market. :v:

Quite the opposite, they thought we were masochists. Konami thought the Mega Drive was the HARDCORE ELITE of consoles and every Konami release is significantly more difficult with Rocket Knight's easy mode being Japan's hard, Contra Hard Corps having health, Castlevania Bloodlines' increased monster spawns, and Sunset Riders remixed gameplay. And Working Designs had a hard on for hard games, good grief Popful Mail is ridiculous. I can't think of a single game made easier in the Japanese to American transition except maybe Final Fantasy 2.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

For a personal recommendation on the FDS univbee showed me Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa which was pretty boss. It was apparently also put on bootleg carts as Baby Mario.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuoU9M-2lP4

Games with appreciable regional differences? The Cutting Room Floor has a category for this but it's not really comprehensive and I doubt you can sort by both category and system.
http://tcrf.net/Category:Games_with_regional_differences

ullerrm posted:

* NES World Cup was originally a Kunio-kun game with an actual storyline
* Shatterhand was originally a Solbrain game; artwork was changed, and one level is entirely new.

Wow these are totally news to me.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Heran Bago posted:

Wow these are totally news to me.

It turns out I'm wrong on Shatterhand -- it came out in the US first as Shatterhand, and then they rebadged it as a Solbrain game for a later Japan release.

The NES World Cup one is pretty widely known, though. That's why there's so many Technos games that have characters looking like imports from River City Ransom -- because in Japan, they're all an extremely vaguely connected series. (And it's still going, too: there are Kunio-kun 3DS games.)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

al-azad posted:

Castlevania Bloodlines' increased monster spawns

Having played a bit of this game when I was young I started digging around a wiki for other differences and found this:

Oh Japan... :3:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ullerrm posted:

The NES World Cup one is pretty widely known, though. That's why there's so many Technos games that have characters looking like imports from River City Ransom -- because in Japan, they're all an extremely vaguely connected series. (And it's still going, too: there are Kunio-kun 3DS games.)

It's actually kind of odd. Technos went out of business in the late 90's and their last release was another version of Super Dodge Ball. Since then a few different people have picked up their properties and the 3DS sequels are a recent revival.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

cosmicjim posted:

Birthday Blowout was the same game. Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle was Roger Rabbit on FDS. 5-year-old me would've been much happier if Crazy Castle had the Roger Rabbit license in the US, especially considering how disappointing the LJN Roger Rabbit game was...

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 26, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

flyboi posted:

Anything Lolo (Japan didn't get the US games, they're entirely different)

Not quite:

Lolo 1 is a US exclusive that contains a bunch of maps from the various Eggerland games for FDS/MSX.

Lolo 2/3 were released in both the US and Japan but the Japanese versions are tougher - they introduce the more advanced objects/enemies earlier, and there are more of 'em, but the levels are broadly similar.

Lolo GB is the other way around - the JP version is pretty basic, but the EU version has three times as many levels, Super Game Boy support and a whole bunch of other junk that wasn't in the original release. (It also changes the BGM depending on the direction you're facing, which is really irritating once you notice it [sorry]).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tobaccrow posted:

Birthday Blowout was the same game. Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle was Roger Rabbit on FDS. 5-year-old me would've been much happier if Crazy Castle had the Roger Rabbit license in the US, especially considering how disappointing the LJN Roger Rabbit game was...

Idea for a megapost: unlicensed games that are kind of like licensed properties. Journey to Silius is the best Terminator game we never got and Toonstruck was the Roger Rabbit game I always wanted to play.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I liked ljn Roger Rabbit. gently caress you guys.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
So, anyone gonna be buying a Stone Age Gamer N8 and wants to get rid of their Famicom N8? :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

I bet you liked Beetlejuice and Cool World too, huh?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Pretty sure I don't have to respond to someone with a pony avatar about the quality of video games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

Pretty sure I don't have to respond to someone with a pony avatar about the quality of video games.

This pony avatar was a badge of honor for beating the final mission in Star Trek 25th Anniversary CD edition, thank you.

e: seriously, gently caress that final fight you have no idea how difficult it is unless you played it.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 26, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

This pony avatar was a badge of honor for beating the final mission in Star Trek 25th Anniversary CD edition, thank you.

e: seriously, gently caress that final fight you have no idea how difficult it is unless you played it.

It was the best Star Trek game, though.

I mean other than that ASCII Trek. :v:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I have that game on floppies, in box for the 68k Mac. I never beat it.

That also reminds me of me and my dad getting to disc 3 or 4 in Star Trek: Borg before quitting it altogether. He bought it pretty much right when it came out.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
The Famicom version of Bayou Billy (Mad City) has been eased down enough to where it's actually playable.

Also it has two exclusive secret endings and they're both hilarious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7fmcR7o2Hc

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Jeez, Adventures of Lolo 3 (rip,) Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle and now Star Trek 25th Anniversary. Its like this whole page is dedicated to more obscure games that I thought only I was aware about.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

cosmicjim posted:

When you're five or six, you have no interest in playing Eddie Valiant and asking around for clues as to where to find the four pieces of the will.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ACID POLICE posted:

That also reminds me of me and my dad getting to disc 3 or 4 in Star Trek: Borg before quitting it altogether. He bought it pretty much right when it came out.

The game's only something like three hours long! You should have just kept going!

Cliff Racer posted:

Jeez, Adventures of Lolo 3 (rip,) Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle and now Star Trek 25th Anniversary. Its like this whole page is dedicated to more obscure games that I thought only I was aware about.

Let's keep that party going. You know what game was awesome? Archimedean Dynasty. I still need to play the AquaNox series, but I have them on Steam!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I loved the gently caress out of point and click mystery games when I was that age thank you very much.

PS we were talking about the EMS Topgun III a while back. I was looking around and realized I no longer had my USB RF adapter. Sent EMS an email and they got back to me like half an hour later with instructions to buy a replacement receiver for them for $5 + shipping, sweet.

Edit: Really? Maybe there was some other reason we didn't finish it, then. Maybe I'll just play it to the end on the TV with him someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

The game's only something like three hours long! You should have just kept going!

Let's keep that party going. You know what game was awesome? Archimedean Dynasty. I still need to play the AquaNox series, but I have them on Steam!

I didn't know AquaNox had a prequel. But speaking of obscure water based first person shooters, Treasures of the Deep was one of my favorite rentals.

• Locked thread