Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It does seem like Pocket Trains needs more Bux to get things done, but it also seems like you get a lot more of it from just playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
I downloaded pocket trains this morning and I only just hit the fuel wall tonight, not playing flat out. Game was throwing buku bucks at me all day and I kept greedily/unknowingly opening crates and converting them to cash to lay tracks for my 5 trains with maybe 5 stops a line. The pay element is a little more noticeable in this game than pocket planes, but it's still pretty generous for a free game

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Another Pocket Trains question: I just got a popup saying that occasionally, I'll need to repair my trains to keep them running at top speed. 1) How do I know when it's time to repair them? 2) How do I repair them?

Sorry for all the Pocket Trains talk - is there a separate thread for it already?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

foobar posted:

Another Pocket Trains question: I just got a popup saying that occasionally, I'll need to repair my trains to keep them running at top speed. 1) How do I know when it's time to repair them? 2) How do I repair them?

Sorry for all the Pocket Trains talk - is there a separate thread for it already?

The train will launch a popup about it. You can either repair it with a matching part or with some coins. If you don't repair it, it'll still run, but significantly slower-- I think it'll take twice the time? I don't remember where we landed on that in the beta.

There might be one soon? The beta thread's obviously not applicable anymore.

Also I'm still kinda sad I didn't get a cargotrain fulla Teddybears for finding the first bug. :smith:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

In pocket trains do you always start in Europe?

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

DrManiac posted:

In pocket trains do you always start in Europe?

Yes.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

delfin posted:

Not applicable. New jobs are obtained by movement. If you leave a train in one station its available jobs will never change, even if other trains enter and leave that station, but if that train goes somewhere else and returns there will be a different job list.

In other words, if you show up at a station and there's nothing worth moving, that train is hosed. I mean, at least trips don't cost you money like in pocket planes, but it's still a waste of fuel. One of my lines (coincidentally, the one that the tutorial forced me to create) has moved almost nothing on it's last 3 trips, simply because there was nothing worth moving. I know that was just the RNG screwing me, but the fact that this can happen so easily seems pretty lame, and is my biggest gripe so far.

One more thing: is there an option to show a notification only when all trains have reached their station, but not when the first one does? There was an option like that in Pocket Planes but I can't find it now.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Apparently you start in Europe because the cities are closer together than, say, the US.

Also won't it be best to start a Pocket Trains thread before this becomes another 10 pages of Nimblechat to every 100 pages of IAP chat?
(One and the same I know)

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

runchild posted:

In other words, if you show up at a station and there's nothing worth moving, that train is hosed. I mean, at least trips don't cost you money like in pocket planes, but it's still a waste of fuel. One of my lines (coincidentally, the one that the tutorial forced me to create) has moved almost nothing on it's last 3 trips, simply because there was nothing worth moving. I know that was just the RNG screwing me, but the fact that this can happen so easily seems pretty lame, and is my biggest gripe so far.

One more thing: is there an option to show a notification only when all trains have reached their station, but not when the first one does? There was an option like that in Pocket Planes but I can't find it now.

Well, sending a train is free, and fuel refills over time for free, so you're not really out anything per se. Extend the Paris-Munich line up through London, get more on it, or transfer things from Munich to Paris or vice versa. Shuffling jobs around, even if it takes a longer route, is a key part of makin' mad stacks of :10bux:.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Another Pocket Trains question, can you add cargo cars to trains? I want to expand my trains so they can carry more than 8 things.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I've played a couple days now, just finished opening up the rest of Europe's stations, and I have rarely run into fuel issues - if you do, just give it 30 minutes and you should be fine. I am having trouble accumulating a lot of wealth, it seems that every now and again I have a poor stretch where trains will break and cost as much to fix as I have made that day.

Lorini posted:

Another Pocket Trains question, can you add cargo cars to trains? I want to expand my trains so they can carry more than 8 things.

Better engines in the future let you carry more cargo cars, but the originals are limited to 8 in any color except Carbon, I believe.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Apparently you start in Europe because the cities are closer together than, say, the US.

Also won't it be best to start a Pocket Trains thread before this becomes another 10 pages of Nimblechat to every 100 pages of IAP chat?
(One and the same I know)

PAD has a thread but it doesn't stop people posting about the Japanese heroin re-roll fests

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Lorini posted:

It depends on the engine type. If you check the Info on a train type, it will say how many engines and fuelcars that type can have. For instance, Steamers are 1 Engine / 1 Fuelcar, so you can add one fuelcar to your engine but that's it. When you reach Expresses, those are 2 Engine / 1 Fuelcar, so you can add one of each and adding the second engine will increase cargo capacity by 50%.

Zhent posted:

I've played a couple days now, just finished opening up the rest of Europe's stations, and I have rarely run into fuel issues - if you do, just give it 30 minutes and you should be fine. I am having trouble accumulating a lot of wealth, it seems that every now and again I have a poor stretch where trains will break and cost as much to fix as I have made that day.

This is something to plan around. Trains will break down and if you send a bunch of trains on long runs and close the app, sometimes a bunch will break at once when you return. IIRC the break probability is based on both (a) how far the train goes and (b) how long it's been since the last time it broke. More advanced trains will cost more to repair. It's tempting to buy a new line or such the instant you have enough coins for it, but stashing away a few for repairs is a smart move.

runchild posted:

In other words, if you show up at a station and there's nothing worth moving, that train is hosed. I mean, at least trips don't cost you money like in pocket planes, but it's still a waste of fuel. I know that was just the RNG screwing me, but the fact that this can happen so easily seems pretty lame, and is my biggest gripe so far.

From another perspective, as Teddybear noted: Fuel is free, effectively. It's possible but unlikely that a station will have NOTHING available for the stops on your line, but sometimes the available jobs are just low-value ones. This is life. A short trip to another station, even if it gains little, gives you another shot at finding bux or crate or high-coin jobs. (Note also that bux can be converted to coins directly, and there are stages in the game where that is a very good strategy. Crates, bux and coins will all be bottlenecks at different points in the game. If it seems like you're swimming in crates early and you'll never have enough bux to open them all, that will eventually change completely.)

quote:

One of my lines (coincidentally, the one that the tutorial forced me to create) has moved almost nothing on it's last 3 trips, simply because there was nothing worth moving.

If you find that second line to be badly designed, you can rearrange track ownership on the fly by paying coins. This is also the tactic for when you have a big bux job at an endpoint and you can't store it in that station's yard, because that's where it originated from; you may have to juggle who owns what to get it into a yard and have another train pick it up.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Captain Matchbox posted:

PAD has a thread but it doesn't stop people posting about the Japanese heroin re-roll fests

I think a lot of the people that complain about P&D have never actually played it. I was the same, but once I got into it (and quickly fell out of it) I realized that it's not really that bad, all things considered. It's not directly predatory like, poo poo, even nimblebit games are. It doesn't stop you from spending money and actively enables people to build up a slot machine-like addiction, but you'd have to be predisposed to slot machine addiction to be drawn into it.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 26, 2013

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Yeah, definitely worth planning for those situations, since it ran me like 10k last time it happened.

I also wish there were some way to sell the old engines that get upgraded. I have 3 extra bluebell steamers and a couple other color steamers as well, and nowhere to put them.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Pocket trains is really neat. I like how all the passenger cars are weird little theme rooms like Pocket Tower, instead of "welp, it's an airplane" like Pocket Trains. I want to go on a trans-European tour in that pub car for reals :3:

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Zhent posted:

Yeah, definitely worth planning for those situations, since it ran me like 10k last time it happened.

I also wish there were some way to sell the old engines that get upgraded. I have 3 extra bluebell steamers and a couple other color steamers as well, and nowhere to put them.

You can sell them for coins from the yard.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Despoiler posted:

what's the name of that upcoming game from the high-profile iOS game developer where you play as some big multi-colored robot snake that is winding through cities and destroying them? i remember being excited about it and it kind of fell off the radar.

It's Colossatron: Massive World Threat. The only news I see is from July and that was when it was announced.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Random PT question: why are you able to delete a train line? I understand removing the ownership of a line, so that you can reassign different trains to it, but I don't quite understand why I can delete a line I paid 2,500 coins for by accident? Was off to a good start, double tapped a line by mistake and burned nearly all my cash :(

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Unlike Pocket Planes you don't really need money to make money. Just move some stuff around and get some cash. Or turn some BUX into coins. I bought some for the same of giving Nimble some monetary thank-yous, and it's nbd.

Will there be a Pocket Trains thread anytime soon? I don't wanna clog this thread up.

Also, when do new trains become available? Is it tied to my level or when I expand into new areas, or the number of other trains I run or what?

empiremonkey
Nov 13, 2005

"You have reach the max number of planes."

bubbapook posted:

Random PT question: why are you able to delete a train line? I understand removing the ownership of a line, so that you can reassign different trains to it, but I don't quite understand why I can delete a line I paid 2,500 coins for by accident? Was off to a good start, double tapped a line by mistake and burned nearly all my cash :(

Just go to the map (not through the depart screen) and tap on the track and it should offer to sell it for you.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

bubbapook posted:

Maybe so that you can remove cities that don't really mesh well with your overall plan? Like I have Athens bought, but it's a decently long trip and only connects to one city, so it's effectively a dead end. Not great long-term and I'll probably want to stop getting jobs to it at some point.

Also worth noting for people: you can "swap" engines from the train menu. Don't be dumb like me and decommission a whole line then rebuy it all when you want to upgrade your train.

And I believe new engines are level-based. I'm in the unfortunate position of starting to get the third set of engines when I've only built two from the second set with no fuel cars.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

empiremonkey posted:

Just go to the map (not through the depart screen) and tap on the track and it should offer to sell it for you.

Sorry, what I meant is that I bought the track and then deleted it by accident.

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Maybe so that you can remove cities that don't really mesh well with your overall plan? Like I have Athens bought, but it's a decently long trip and only connects to one city, so it's effectively a dead end. Not great long-term and I'll probably want to stop getting jobs to it at some point.

That does make sense actually, and presumably you also want to get rid of unprofitable cargo taking up slots in the station.

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.

HiriseSoftware posted:

It's Colossatron: Massive World Threat. The only news I see is from July and that was when it was announced.

Thank you! Shame there isn't anything new on this

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Crossposting from the Recommend Me A Game thread. I'm wondering what are some good turn based strategy games on iOS? I'm looking for something specifically in the vein of Master of Magic (the old DOS game), but I'm looking for general thoughts on the big 4X titles in general. Turn-based is important - it would be primarily for playing while watching TV, so it's best if I can put the game down at will and not miss anything. Also, I'm more interested in empire building than battling, but what battling there is, I prefer things to be on the level of troops, not individual units. So, Shining Force or Battle of Wesnoth is not really quite what I'm looking for.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Edit: nothing to see here, issue resolved itself mysteriously.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Another PT question:

Do I need to stop at a station to deliver cargo, or does just passing through work? For example, I have cargo for station A and B, do I need to stop at A and B separately or can I just head straight to B, passing A along the way?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Frankston posted:

Another PT question:

Do I need to stop at a station to deliver cargo, or does just passing through work? For example, I have cargo for station A and B, do I need to stop at A and B separately or can I just head straight to B, passing A along the way?

Things get dropped off automatically as you move through, no need to stop.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh no, train beetles. :ohdear:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Are the coin values listed per car or for the full load?

empiremonkey
Nov 13, 2005

"You have reach the max number of planes."

Eegah posted:

Are the coin values listed per car or for the full load?

Full load.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Frankston posted:

Another PT question:

I'm an idiot. I just realized that you can tap on a city and then tap on the next one down the line. I thought I had to stop at each city or something, because I was just tapping on the one I wanted to end up at and it wasn't doing anything.

Thank you.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sieg posted:

I'm an idiot. I just realized that you can tap on a city and then tap on the next one down the line. I thought I had to stop at each city or something, because I was just tapping on the one I wanted to end up at and it wasn't doing anything.

Thank you.

I've been stopping at cities along the way, anyway, in case they have a little job for me to add to fill in my one extra car or whatever :shobon:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
EDIT: nevermind

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I vaguely remember everyone getting excited about an old school transportation game that was being ported to iOS. I don't remember the exact name, but was it Transport General? I am asking because it just went free.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Probably Transport Tycoon.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Other than Defenders of Texel which I see has its own popular thread, is anyone playing any other "card" games atm that they could recommend? I've been away from tablet gaming for 6 months or so due to having to sell my device and it's hard to pick out anything worthwhile from all the shill websites.

The new one from Mobage launched as a prequel to Blood Brothers looks interesting with its different take on combat, Blood Battalion I believe it is called. Failing that is Fantasica or anything else worth a look?

The supposed generic thread in the MMO house is dead but was pretty much just a Marvel thread anyway.

Has anything ever replaced Tribes as the best city-builder type that wasn't just trying to suck you dry from the moment of install?

Good timing to be getting back into tablet gaming again with Pocket Trains just out and an official Transport Tycoon on the horizon!

Fazana fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 26, 2013

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
In trains, does an engine also add to fuel, or does it solely add the ability for more cargo?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are there any iOS "survival" games, like Jungle Troll Tribes, Lost In Blue, or Survival Kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Broke Pocket Trains in the first five minutes, laid a new line from Paris to Munich and it asked me to go to the craft menu - which was greyed out and unclickable. At which point my phones hardware buttons stopped responding and I had to do a reboot using the home and power buttons. Going well so far!

• Locked thread